Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any roads you will refuse to cycle on?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yech :eek: - glad you've recovered!
    All I remember is a white car approaching me on my right and hit me side on. Apparently I may have landed on my head or else somehow banged it off the road (with no helmet) which caused my brain (little as it is) to be thrown about inside my skull. Apparently my brain swelled up to the point my eyes were bulging for a few weeks.
    I'm fine now although many would claim that my brain still isn't right! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

micar wrote: »
    Cycling up Mobhi Rd in Glasnevin...always use the footpath

I only come down that. I find it’s more pleasant and not a lot slower to swing around by the Botanic Gardens and up the Ballymun Road to the Griffith Avenue junction. I often meet the same cars/buses that were behind me on Botanic Road at the lights there.

Coming down the hill I use Mobhi Road, right in the middle of the bus lane, avoiding the many potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Breezer wrote: »
    I only come down that. I find it’s more pleasant and not a lot slower to swing around by the Botanic Gardens and up the Ballymun Road to the Griffith Avenue junction. I often meet the same cars/buses that were behind me on Botanic Road at the lights there.

Coming down the hill I use Mobhi Road, right in the middle of the bus lane, avoiding the many potholes.

Or you can use the cycle lane on the path and stop giving people more reason to hate cyclists...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Or you can use the cycle lane on the path and stop giving people more reason to hate cyclists...
    FFS :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what he has described is precisely what the road layout - and signs - suggests he does.
    the cycle lane on the path is (nominally) contraflow, it's for people cycling uphill. because there's a dedicated bus/cycle lane downhill, but not so uphill.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3785756,-6.2653164,3a,81.1y,163.22h,93.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shwNaIUBN-70HYdKB9A7WZg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

the sign you can see - just in front of the house for sale sign - explicitly declares the lane to be a bus and cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Is there any 'dangerous roads' outside Dublin ?? :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

greenspurs wrote: »
    Is there any 'dangerous roads' outside Dublin ?? :P

Well I don't live down there anymore but I see, is it Righttobike?, using Carshill.

Yeah, not a ****ing hope would you catch me on that on a bike.

Staying with the PRC
    Technically you could use a bike on the South Ring??
    Yeah ....nope

I'm sure it's continuation onto the Ballincollig bypass is a barrel of laughs too.

On my home county, Meath
    My favorite N2 has had a couple of mentions
    I stay off the Drogheda - Navan part of N51 especially with a great alternative south of the boyne, always love the view passing Newgrange and the trees overhead past RosnaRí, on over through Beauparc and Athlumney.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The main street in Newbridge. Not that I refuse to cycle on it, but it's definitely my least favourite stretch of road. I only pass through it around a dozen times a year but I've had more near misses there than I've had in a lifetime of commuting in Dublin. No matter what time of the day or day of the week it is, it's always rammed with traffic, people pulling in and out of parking spots without so much as looking, like they've never seen a cyclist in their life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't particularly like the R152 from the N2 (near the snailbox) to duleek. for the volume and speed of traffic it carries, it's not wide enough.
    i suspect the R150, also from the N2 to duleek, but further north is also not a pleasant road to cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

N7 and N11

N7 can be ok before say 10am on a Sunday morning, arrive at any other time and I'd be in constant fear of my impending death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

i don't particularly like the R152 from the N2 (near the snailbox) to duleek. for the volume and speed of traffic it carries, it's not wide enough.
    i suspect the R150, also from the N2 to duleek, but further north is also not a pleasant road to cycle.

Yeah R152 is one i avoid.
    You can go up the first few metres of it (from Kilmoon) and go right then kinda run parallel to it to the East of Pudden Hill.
    Little hills and VERY quiet.

R150 isn't as bad.

But I'd always use Balrath to Duleek (the L1610) instead of either road.

yep, i'd often have gone the way you suggest. without taking a left for puddenhill (i.e. if you continue on towards clonalvy), you pass a bike shop before you reach the garristown-ardcath road. i've often wondered how much business he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

The section from pillo hotel to the traffic lights at phibblestown is great for drafting alongside trucks, great craic altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

N71 in West Cork can be a bit hairy in places....
    Disappearing hard shoulders common..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I cycle Springdale Road in Raheny daily, if anyone is familiar with it, and just use the footpath now, too many angry men in cars around here and I've been threatened more than once because they couldn't get past as I was in the middle of the road due to parked cars being on one side.
    People regularly seem to be doing 80km/h or so and it's a 50 road.
    It would actually be a great place to put a cycle lane, linking Malahide Rd and Raheny/Howth Road, and lots of schools around here, so I put in a request last week, fat chance of it happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Do you ever use the more inland one (The Old Long Hill I think)

I have always found that a lot quieter. Still a stiff climb but a nicer cycle.
    It is my preferred route, but I don't always allow myself enough time to take it as an option to meet for club spins (it is lumpier than the main road). If I was just heading out for a spin taking in Glencree I wouldn't dream of taking the main road though.

I can't remember the last time I did Kilmac to Roundwood on the main road. I always go Old Long Hill. I don't know why so many heading out of Dublin choose it over the Old Long Hill - it is harder, but you're heading out to Wicklow Mountains presumably for enjoyment...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

What exactly am I doing to make people hate cyclists? I do 40 km/h coming down there, have done it on a daily basis for years, and have yet to encounter a single issue, until your post. And why would I? I’m in the very clearly marked bus and cycle lane, and if a bus driver is desperate to do more than 40km/h, there’s another lane in which they can overtake me.

If I used the cycle lane on the path, I’d be going the wrong way.

And I said in the post you quoted that I avoid it on the way up, because there’s an alternative route, where I am not “giving people more reasons to hate cyclists.” I don’t have to, but I do. Because I’m considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 flutehook

I cycle Springdale Road in Raheny daily...

...It would actually be a great place to put a cycle lane, linking Malahide Rd and Raheny/Howth Road, and lots of schools around here, so I put in a request last week, fat chance of it happening though.

Grew up around there, it was always a dragway, especially before the mini-roundabouts went in. A friend of mine's sister was killed cycling home from school on it back in the day.

Perfect for a cycle path along the pitches side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

flutehook wrote: »
    Grew up around there, it was always a dragway, especially before the mini-roundabouts went in. A friend of mine's sister was killed cycling home from school on it back in the day.

Perfect for a cycle path along the pitches side.

God that's terrible, but not surprising, people drive like f*cking lunatics on that stretch. The mini roundabouts actually make things worse for cycling because you have to go into the middle of the road as the footpath turns in towards the road and drivers don't seem to be able to predict this.
    The footpath on the green side is pretty wide, so I don't care any more, I'd rather cycle on that than risk my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

Im becoming less and less of a fan of the scalp road. Especially at the pinch point at the top of the hill before the ski centre. I get close passed very regularly there and the speed limit of 80k is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Drake66 wrote: »
    Im becoming less and less of a fan of the scalp road. Especially at the pinch point at the top of the hill before the ski centre. I get close passed very regularly there and the speed limit of 80k is crazy

Definitely. Unfortunately its one of those roads that dosent really have an alternative if you want to get into Wicklow without going down the N11 or over the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Coming down the hill at Bohernabreena with the Church on your left - I did it this morning and it reminded how much I hate it, even more so now after crashing a few months back.

Pretty steep
    Bad surface and rumble strips
    Cars behind speeding to get past you even though you are doing 40-50+kph
    A sharp right turn at the bottom with loose chips everywhere

Also always hated the climb up the sally gap from kippure estate side, will take any of the other routes up but that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

N4 after inchicore junction. I see commuters all the time there and wonder who in their right mind goes on this road with traffic often passing at 100kmh+ There are very good alternatives to this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Definitely. Unfortunately its one of those roads that dosent really have an alternative if you want to get into Wicklow without going down the N11 or over the mountains.
    Not as direct, but ballycorus to Ferndale road. Ferndale Road is a bit of a forgotten alternative to shankill/ Bray or stepaside.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Michelin

My new least favorite road is the road from Bray to Greystones goes up a hill call windgates. Haven't been on it for a while until last weekend. Busy road with a lot of close passing. There is a new(ish) cycle path half way up that just spits you back out into the traffic just as the road really narrows near the top...I used this as the N11 is horrendous. There really is no safe passage for cyclists to ride out of the city of Dublin in the southbound direction anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The port tunnel no less..
    Incident closed: Reports of a Cyclist in Dublin Tunnel Lane 1 (north)

http://traffic.tii.ie

Mad cnut :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not as direct, but ballycorus to Ferndale road. Ferndale Road is a bit of a forgotten alternative to shankill/ Bray or stepaside.

I love all the little roads in there too, some real challenges. Looping around Thornhill and Barnasligen adds some good climbing and Quarry road is a real eye-popper.

In a similar vein, I tend to avoid the Long Hill - Roundwood road these days and go the back roads off Red lane. Probably a bit narrow for groups but great solo cycling territory and a few interesting off road connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Hal1 wrote: »
    The port tunnel no less..

Mad cnut :D

How could a cyclist have even gotten into the Northbound bore?

You have to pass the toll gantry to get into the Northbound tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Michelin wrote: »
    My new least favorite road is the road from Bray to Greystones goes up a hill call windgates. Haven't been on it for a while until last weekend. Busy road with a lot of close passing. There is a new(ish) cycle path half way up that just spits you back out into the traffic just as the road really narrows near the top...I used this as the N11 is horrendous. There really is no safe passage for cyclists to ride out of the city of Dublin in the southbound direction anyway.

I don’t mind going that direction to be honest, it’s the other side I don’t like. I usually take the left turn after the Lidl junction which brings you up past Belmont Demise and brings you back onto the Windgates road at the top of the hill. Can be used the other direction if you don’t like the decent into Greystones. Much quieter and less of a climb too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I don’t mind going that direction to be honest, it’s the other side I don’t like. I usually take the left turn after the Lidl junction which brings you up past Belmont Demise and brings you back onto the Windgates road at the top of the hill. Can be used the other direction if you don’t like the decent into Greystones. Much quieter and less of a climb too!

I only used that for the first time recently. Went the opposite way and ended up in Delgany. The bit around Belmont has a poor road surface but apart from that, lovely quiet roads..

Advertisement