Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

bubblypop wrote: »
    Bayview and brookdene are mad over priced for what they are.
    There isn't even a shop within walking distance to get a litre of.milk.
    Brookdene is straight across the road from traveller.accommodation, how could ya pay nearly half a million for that!

Bayview is lovely and so is sea field, gorgeous parts of Dublin, I don't know many people who walk to the shops, we drive to our local supermarket and do a weekly shop and we have a shop around the corner. The coast at the back of Bayview is stunning, I don't know one person living in these areas who isn't delighted to be in one of the most stunning parts of Dublin. People are lovely and friendly and if you have a dog, you get to chat to all of them walking the coast or up the many beautiful vistas like the Vico, sea field road, along by the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brookers

Molina wrote: »
    Thanks for adding all that. We've seen a house on Churchview Road in Killiney, although it'll probably be over budget (afraid I can't add links). What's the area like for traffic, do you know? Also is Kilbogget Park safe to walk through at night?

Churchview would be busy traffic wise but very near supermarket, schools etc, wouldn't be as nice scenic wise as the other side of Killiney, you should take a drive out, Matt Damon loved the area!!!

No wouldn't walk through Kilboget at night, Im not really a park person late at night, no matter where.

brookers wrote: »
    Bayview is lovely and so is sea field, gorgeous parts of Dublin, I don't know many people who walk to the shops, we drive to our local supermarket and do a weekly shop and we have a shop around the corner. The coast at the back of Bayview is stunning, I don't know one person living in these areas who isn't delighted to be in one of the most stunning parts of Dublin. People are lovely and friendly and if you have a dog, you get to chat to all of them walking the coast or up the many beautiful vistas like the Vico, sea field road, along by the Dart.

I know the area very very well. I think Bayview is over priced, sorry that's my opinion.
    Basic 3 bed semis, one bathroom and need a car to go to the shop is not worth nearly half a million, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

Churchview would be busy traffic wise but very near supermarket, schools etc, wouldn't be as nice scenic wise as the other side of Killiney, you should take a drive out, Matt Damon loved the area!!!

No wouldn't walk through Kilboget at night, Im not really a park person late at night, no matter where.

Thanks. I wouldn't fancy it myself, but it's the route to the bus on the N11

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Madeoface

Johnstown end of the park totally safe. I've been running there for years in the dark.

Can get tasty up towards Tesco end but haven't heard of much except for some dopes on scramblers last year...it's a big park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Commutable from/for Citywest, City Centre and Sandyford - that’s a wide net of traffic you’re casting. Would one of you be sharing a car into town with the other and then be prepared to catch the Luas on to their work and repeat in reverse and add a Dart trip home eg Malahide?

Or will you both be using cars and moving about at different times?

Big difference timewise pre covid between rush hour to the cit and rush hour to citywest or the black hole bottleneck of Sandyford.

Maybe post covid more people will be (not) working from home & less traffic in general? Hard to call.

Commutable from/for Citywest, City Centre and Sandyford - that’s a wide net of traffic you’re casting. Would one of you be sharing a car into town with the other and then be prepared to catch the Luas on to their work and repeat in reverse and add a Dart trip home eg Malahide?

Big difference timewise pre covid between rush hour to the cit and rush hour to citywest or the black hole bottleneck of Sandyford.

Maybe post covid more people will be (not) working from home & less traffic in general? Hard to call.

PS sent you a PM.

OP - have you taken into consideration the massive mess that Transport For Ireland is going to make of many roads, idyllic street-scapes and former gardens, and the huge changes in Bus routes they are proposing and were pushing ahead with just prior to the covid lockdown?

Many old busroutes will be dyfumct or not exist anymore, they are taking proper existing functioning routes and will forcing people to change at ‘hubs’ like impoverished peasants and to wait and see if there is space to get on the ‘connecting’ bus when/if it arrives. Old timetables will be binned and functioning direct routes chopped into two or three ‘hub’ journeys - making bus commuting a nightmare for many. Do your research well and dig deep. Some parts of many streets ate going to be dug up to make QBC’s and mature trees felled and gardens CPO’d to become basically a busy noisy road right outside your bedroom window.

Buyer beware.

And NOtHING set yet - just a lode of plans and colour codes and unintelligibe consultations and lobbying and ideas based on some american utopian dream and perfect weather where it never rains and busses come on time and developers arn’t allowed built two thousand ‘units’ with no parking for social housing right outside your busstop - no planning consultation needed for ‘strategic’ reasons.

I’d +1 for Malahide for ALL the obvious reasons - and especially if this covid lockdown resurfaces or we have another wave of variants and lockdowns like the UK/France/Spain/Brazil/India etc. Where you are going to be restricted has shown to be really important in the oast 2 years - especially for kids/ teenagers.

I wouldn’t Ballinteer or Tallaght/Firhouse/Old Bawn etc. And large parts of Castleknock simply arn’t - like Shankhill and Killiney.

I’d also only buy a second hand house for obvious reasons - avoid like the plague new developments, and so called ‘managed estates’ with management agencies. Nightmare - as evidenced by many threads here.

Thanks for suggesting it. I've just done a quick google search of it and it looks very far out. What are the local schools like, do you know? Would that be Blanchardstown?

HoolywoodRath is a nice estate. A friend of mine lives there. His wife and himself work close by though and it is far out.

I’d buy in some housing estate in Howth for that money. That said the houses are oldish and ex council.

• Advertisement

HoolywoodRath is a nice estate. A friend of mine lives there. His wife and himself work close by though and it is far out.

I’d buy in some housing estate in Howth for that money. That said the houses are oldish and ex council.

‘Only’ the council estates - and they’re not ex. And they’re mostly super-tiny and still occupied by the original tenants or their families.

A middle class area in Howth would cost frightening money.

OP where have you both been living since college and until now? Abroad entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Something like this:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-66-ballinteer-crescent-ballinteer-dublin-16/3205196

Slightly under budget to tidy it up. Nice big back garden, converted attic, nice location beside a big green and walking distance to shops and a pub and close to the M50.

Definitely needs decorating! But it's essentially a 4 bed and there's no photo of the converted garage, it might be a a granny flat. Which you could rent out for €10k a month at current rates if it was

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭willbur

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I know someone who bought a 4 bed new built in Hollywood Rath for under your budget and I reckon it ticks all your boxes, not too sure about public transport up there though to be honest but it’s a great area

Sorry for jumping in on this maybe you can put me in the right location for my opinion , which is before it get to a situation where there are no places within a 30 kilometer range of Dublin , to buy a new house , because this stupid government are letting vulture funds , pension funds , and hedge funds from outside this country to buy every house been built , can you imagine a time where instead of your kids being able to buy they will only find rental properties everywhere in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Kalimah

What about Knocklyon? Good schools and shops, transport good too. Very settled area with no social issues at all. I think it’s within your budget too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Next phase of St Marnocks Bay, Portmarnock

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

OP have a look in Harolds Cross, lovely safe residential area with a village feel, even though it's so close to the city & a bunch of amenities nearby. The park is small but really nice full of families & dog walkers. Quieter than Rathmines but that's probably a good thing for families.

Might be slightly out of your price range but a few bargains pop up now and then! There are new builds called Greenmount Court that are nearly finished so should be coming up for sale soon, price still showing as POA but I suspect that they might fall within the upper end of your budget.

https://www.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/greenmount-court-hx-harolds-cross-dublin-6/3179404

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Churchview Road is not n Killiney, it’s the other side of Ballybtack shopping centre from Killiney and Matt Damon like Dalkey not Killiney. None of this should really matter in the choice of homes but let’s get the areas right.

If the OP thinks Terenure is potentially too far from town (it’s walkable) then Malahide (which would be ideal in so many ways) is at least 3 times further.

We’ll both be driving separately, so won’t need to travel together. I’d like the option to take public transport into the city instead of driving, husband would prefer to drive even if it took longer - he loves the car. We won’t need to travel every day. I mentioned Sandyford as many companies in his line of work are based there, so commuting there could be a necessity in the future, but not now.

OP - have you taken into consideration the massive mess that Transport For Ireland is going to make of many roads, idyllic street-scapes and former gardens, and the huge changes in Bus routes they are proposing and were pushing ahead with just prior to the covid lockdown?

Many old busroutes will be dyfumct or not exist anymore, they are taking proper existing functioning routes and will forcing people to change at ‘hubs’ like impoverished peasants and to wait and see if there is space to get on the ‘connecting’ bus when/if it arrives. Old timetables will be binned and functioning direct routes chopped into two or three ‘hub’ journeys - making bus commuting a nightmare for many. Do your research well and dig deep. Some parts of many streets ate going to be dug up to make QBC’s and mature trees felled and gardens CPO’d to become basically a busy noisy road right outside your bedroom window.

Buyer beware.

And NOtHING set yet - just a lode of plans and colour codes and unintelligibe consultations and lobbying and ideas based on some american utopian dream and perfect weather where it never rains and busses come on time and developers arn’t allowed built two thousand ‘units’ with no parking for social housing right outside your busstop - no planning consultation needed for ‘strategic’ reasons.

I’d +1 for Malahide for ALL the obvious reasons - and especially if this covid lockdown resurfaces or we have another wave of variants and lockdowns like the UK/France/Spain/Brazil/India etc. Where you are going to be restricted has shown to be really important in the oast 2 years - especially for kids/ teenagers.

I wouldn’t Ballinteer or Tallaght/Firhouse/Old Bawn etc. And large parts of Castleknock simply arn’t - like Shankhill and Killiney.

I’d also only buy a second hand house for obvious reasons - avoid like the plague new developments, and so called ‘managed estates’ with management agencies. Nightmare - as evidenced by many threads here.

Lots of food for thought. We’re definitely looking at Malahide. Do you mind if I ask why you wouldn’t advise Ballinteer? It looks like a good option on paper ... Marlay Park, close to M50, reasonable distance to luas & ETNS, but I’m not overly familiar with it.

• Advertisement

We’ll both be driving separately, so won’t need to travel together. I’d like the option to take public transport into the city instead of driving, husband would prefer to drive even if it took longer - he loves the car. We won’t need to travel every day. I mentioned Sandyford as many companies in his line of work are based there, so commuting there could be a necessity in the future, but not now.

Molina, I think this is one of those situations where, as they say on the property shows, you're not going to get everything on your check list. Even with half a mil to spend.

If future employment prospects in Sandyford are a possibility, I still think Knocklyon or Firhouse ticks more of those boxes, then many of the other options suggested.

Given Dublin's sprawl, Templeogue and Firhouse are really not far out, either. Definitely cycling distance of the City Centre, if you were up for it! Knocklyon is considered a very good area.

Even Kilnamanagh, which comes highly recommended on the other thread, and has good transport links to M50, and Luas to the city centre.

OP where have you both been living since college and until now? Abroad entirely?

Abroad and for the past year in the countryside near my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Have you considered perrystown?
    Very mature area,
    in the catchment for some of the templeogue schools, educate together limekiln closeby
    No anti social issues
    Tymon park nearby, bushy park 10 mins on a bike. Stanaway park nearby too. 10 mins in car to rathfarbham castle
    Few bus routes 9, 15a into town
    Gardens are good
    Ashleaf shopping centre (Dunnes) and few supervalues in car (Orwell, sundrive) nearby
    Near m50, 20 mins to city west maybe?
    Husband can cycle into work, into town in 30/35 mins max on bike but can bus it if needs to
    Good pubs serving food nearby - laurels, pines
    Near Terenure,

5 beds asking 550, other options there if you want to search

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-92-rockfield-avenue-perrystown-dublin-12/3174672

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stevie S

Shankill ticks most of the boxes from the OP

Sea, DART, schools (St Anne's mixed primary), park, walking distance to village which has 1 of most things. Like most areas there's some places better than others. No issues with the estate below as far as I know

Had a quick look and not a huge selection at the minute. This was the best I found. Looks very liveable and just in need or redecorating maybe

Check out this property I found using Daft

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-30-castle-farm-shankill-dublin-18/3198104

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Next phase of St Marnocks Bay, Portmarnock

Thanks. The flight path overhead would put us off that development, but thanks for the suggestion.

Kalimah wrote: »
    What about Knocklyon? Good schools and shops, transport good too. Very settled area with no social issues at all. I think it’s within your budget too!

I don’t know the area at all. What are good estates? How long would it take to get to town on public transport?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Churchview Road is not n Killiney, it’s the other side of Ballybtack shopping centre from Killiney and Matt Damon like Dalkey not Killiney. None of this should really matter in the choice of homes but let’s get the areas right.

If the OP thinks Terenure is potentially too far from town (it’s walkable) then Malahide (which would be ideal in so many ways) is at least 3 times further.

What is the Churchview Road area like?
    It’s not that Terenure is too far, but that it’s a huge area (well the houses listed as Terenure cut across a large swathe of Dublin). I’d be concerned about how long the bus would take during rush hour/ at the weekend. Happy to go further out, provided there was decent, quick, reliable public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stevie S

Knocklyon is a very nice area.
    Very bad for traffic to get into town.
    Was in Rathfarnham for years and similar issues but Knocklyon even worse.
    Not familiar with the individual estates

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Magno_DT

If you check out The Gallops in Leopardstown. It's a lovely estate. Tennis courts, basketball courts, playground, schools, lovely parks all within the estate itself. There's a big Dunnes stores within 5-10 minute walk depending where you are in the estate. Green Luas line is a few minutes away takes 28 minutes to Stephens Green. It looks far out on the map but with everything being so close there's no real need to leave it.. The houses are well built too but if you street view it you'll see it's a really nice looking estate. Everyone is lovely and the Facebook page is really active where parents help each other out with misplaced coats/scooters/bicycles etc.

Here's an example which shows a typical layout. I know it's 30k over your budget but I think that's because of the conservatory/extension at the back which isn't typical. Normally the houses around here go up for between 525k-550k. If you keep an eye out there's normally a new one up every month or so.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/5-glencairn-rise-the-gallops-leopardstown-dublin-18/4490645

• Advertisement

I mention it because its closer to town than Malahide, ticks a lot of your boxes, is a lovely middle class suburb and is a stones throw away from the sea. House prices might be a bit eyewatering but off the main track you might get a older semi-D as part of a probate sale - not IMO as nice to live in as Malahide but a lovely but a bit dull place - Clontarf. Restaurants, Nolans supermarket, a few cafes , some shops and the seafront promenade!!! And a bit of a (long!) walk down to the georgous St Annes park in Raheny ( straddling the edge of Clontarf) and the blue flag Dollymount beach. Schools etc. Worth a google.

Advertisement