Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch recommendations up to €2k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Think I really want an Omega, I'll bump the budget to 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Hehehe - we ensnared another one... join us brother :D

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Hehehe - we ensnared another one... join us brother :D

Is there an initiation ceremony??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Is there an initiation ceremony??

250px-That%27s_a_paddlin%27.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    250px-That%27s_a_paddlin%27.png

We really are a bad influence in here lads! :pac:
    Good luck with your hunt OMT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Think I really want an Omega, I'll bump the budget to 3k

Well done this man, you have passed the first test, "the temptation of the lower tier brand". This is a slippery slope, but an enjoyable and harmless hobby. Welcome. :D

mailforkev wrote: »
    As has been said above, a classic Seamaster 300 is a good choice, should get a nice one for around the 2k mark. Here’s mine for some weekend inspiration. Be warned that you’ll prob end up looking for your next one once you’ve found your first.

2-C02833-D-968-B-4826-8-CB5-34-E3-B52088-A4.jpg

Think I'm gonna go for one of these, I'm in no rush and willing to spend 3 grand on one

Any tips or advice on what I should look out for?

Ideally I'd get one with original box and papers

Looking at the 2531.80, anyone have one?

I had one, great watch. Stellar comfy bracelet, good workhorse movement, cheap to service and repair. Bezels are cheap. Strong collector community and easy resale. Cool looks IMHO and easy to wear being quite thin (more modern seamasters got thicker). I have rarely met a watch enthusiast that didn't like this watch. 100% solid decision if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I have one, if you can get me a submariner at retail I’ll give you a good deal on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

bbbbb wrote: »

Very nice indeed! I'm fond of the blue!

Fitz II wrote: »
    I had one, great watch. Stellar comfy bracelet, good workhorse movement, cheap to service and repair. Bezels are cheap. Strong collector community and easy resale. Cool looks IMHO and easy to wear being quite thin (more modern seamasters got thicker). I have rarely met a watch enthusiast that didn't like this watch. 100% solid decision if you ask me.

How often is a service required? And how much is it usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

How often is a service required? And how much is it usually?

Somewhere in the every 6/7/8 year ballpark. Dawson jewellers did mine a few years back for €150. Obviously sending off to Omega will be much more. Try and find one with recent-ish service history.

Guys and girls, looking at chrono24, how important is it to have original box and papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Guys and girls, looking at chrono24, how important is it to have original box and papers?
    I'd focus on condition more at that age, service papers being more important than actual papers. Wouldn't pay the premium for the box, you can get them pretty cheap on ebay.

If I was in your position, I'd be getting the one that's least polished to death. The sharpness of the engraving on the clasp and case edges/lugs being the main areas to look at.

Back in the 90's, people valued the original boxes/manuals/papers etc a lot less than they do now. When I get a new watch, the box goes straight into another box never to be seen again unless I need the warranty card/spare links/flip it.

Great stuff thanks

With regards to links, I did my own for my Seiko 7 years ago with a cheap Chinese tool (which I have since lost!). Do you reckon I should try it myself or let the jewellers do it?

Great stuff thanks

With regards to links, I did my own for my Seiko 7 years ago with a cheap Chinese tool (which I have since lost!). Do you reckon I should try it myself or let the jewellers do it?

I'd say go for it, have sized all my Seiko's myself with zero experience and a bargain bin pin pusher. You can tape the links if you're worried about slippage/scratching. Pin and collar on those SMP 300's too I think?

What I will say is be sure you use the right sized pin insert (most sets come with different sizes). I split a collar on my Dad's 1993 Seiko by using the default one I use for modern Seiko Divers. Brain fart moment didn't think to check the size. No big deal just a pain sourcing another set. I'd imagine the Omega ones are a lot more robust.

david wrote: »
    I'd say go for it, have sized all my Seiko's myself with zero experience and a bargain bin pin pusher. You can tape the links if you're worried about slippage/scratching. Pin and collar on those SMP 300's too I think?

What I will say is be sure you use the right sized pin insert (most sets come with different sizes). I split a collar on my Dad's 1993 Seiko by using the default one I use for modern Seiko Divers. Brain fart moment didn't think to check the size. No big deal just a pain sourcing another set. I'd imagine the Omega ones are a lot more robust.

Could you recommend a set for resizing the links?

Also if you could come up with a good excuse for my missus and my parents that would be great also :)

I'd probably get the cheapest one, the one I have came in one of those chinese €20 1001pc watchmakers toolkits on eBay. You certainly get what you pay for, most of the kit is absolute junk but served it's purpose modding 2 Seikos with no issues. I understand the oddly skinny spring bar set included got Banie out of a scrape with his coffin link bracelet too! I'd say it's been excellent value all things considered.

Something like this should work ok

If you intend on changing out straps, don't scrimp on a quality strap tool. Make's a huge difference especially when you have a bracelet with tight solid end links. Something like the Bergeon 6767F is the bee's knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Not digging the Tudor I'm afraid.

I have though added the IWC Aquatimer to the wankbank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The 2531 bracelet is pin and collar. Easy to resize with a screw-in link removal tool.
    Not as handy to size as the same period Submariner but the bracelet has a more substantial feel to it and is very comfortable.
    You may need to get a half link (unless the one you buy has one) because there’s no micro-adjustment.

mailforkev wrote: »
    The 2531 bracelet is pin and collar. Easy to resize with a screw-in link removal tool.
    Not as handy to size as the same period Submariner but the bracelet has a more substantial feel to it and is very comfortable.
    You may need to get a half link (unless the one you buy has one) because there’s no micro-adjustment.

Is getting a half link easy enough do you reckon?

I haven't found one yet that has caught my eye price wise but I'm in no rush

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

You could buy a pagani design daytona ðŸ˜႒😅

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭893bet

Jacob13 wrote: »
    You could buy a pagani design daytona ðŸ˜႒��

I have reported this post for crimes against horology.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

893bet wrote: »
    I have reported this post for crimes against horology.

Your man jody down in Australia loves them.

Jacob13 wrote: »
    Your man jody down in Australia loves them.

If you get into watches you will learn that there are people out there that love all sorts. Jodi's channel is mainly focused on low tier homage and cheap watches (I watch all his vids as I think his personality is great, the watches he reviews are not my cup of tea). But everyone is telling you what you want to hear. Youtube is serving you up echo chamber content.

These Pagani watches aand Benyar watches are tempting but at the end of the day they are worthless. I did a review on a Benyar watch I will link below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

As a watch reviewer Jody is one of the best out there. He has a formula that works and gives a very thorough run through of the watch. I'm not interested in 99 percent of the stuff he reviews is the only problem but there is a huge market out there for that kind of thing (bang for buck). I know plenty of people that think a list of specs on a Pagani makes it the equivalent of watches that cost thousands. I.e this has a sapphire crystal and a ceramic bezel all for the price of a packet of crisps. There is a premium to be paid on any product for quality and that premium is usually worth it. The whole bang for buck philosophy does nothing for me. Yeah a Pagani may good value for the money you paid but it's still ultimately a sh1t watch and that's not even going into the theft of IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭893bet

Let’s not forget the “includes paid promotion”.

There is an Irish YouTube with 40k subs, sorry 40k bought subs and less that 500 real subs that has sold their soul for a few free pieces of **** from China. I don’t watch Jody as I hate the sound of his voice. Had a quick look there and seen he posted a recent video from Pagani that was sponsored by them. Yeah. I will pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have one. Comfortable and hard wearing. I wear it daily and it looks good under a shirt sleeve in a business environment as much as it looks good with casual clothes. My wife's Dad and her Uncle have one too, amongst a few other watches and both reckons they are the best watches you can get for a bang for buck.

I'd echo what a previous poster said though, they take abuse. I was snorkeling and jumping off the back of a boat on Thursday afternoon and thought nothing of leaving it on my wrist.

I serviced it last year via Omega and it was €500 roughly as I didn't have the option to go anywhere else due to wear I currently live.

I am planning on buying something next year in a similar budget, maybe a grand or two more. I had a datejust on the list but I'm gone off them. This is a good thread.

Advertisement