Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitz's Youtube Channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

I am surprised you haven’t bought this one. You have expressed admiration for it a lot of times.

I don’t think it’s been discontinued yet and will have sold in relative smaller numbers (assumption) so is safe money for a play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

893bet wrote: »

I don’t think it’s been discontinued yet and will have sold in relative smaller numbers (assumption) so is safe money for a play with.

If memory serves, the last time I was in Keane's in Limerick there was one on Display.
    Very nearly pulled the trigger for a rolex at "retail" but its not to my taste at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Wibbs wrote: »
    their "heritage" in aviation in the 30's(and after) they reference is up there with Pateks, IE bugger all......

I dont really get into that stuff cause its all marketing fluff... I do takes with it in and its boring before you get to the meat of why most watch these vids and very far from why most people buy these watches.
    What I took from the video was 'it's all about the dial' which was a bit like stating the obvious. I mean if you don't like the dial you're hardly going to buy it unless of course you're so desperate to have Rolex on your wrist that availability/affordability is all that matters.

Exactly, some watches are all about the braclet, some the brand, some the complication. This ones main feature is the dial.
    What about the movement? What about the 'wristshot' where you share your wrist-size?

Did a few takes with that into, but what can you say about a time only 3131 that you cant see. I had limited footage on this one so was really trying to be concise. I do find movement specs in general fairly boring. Might put them up as text in the future just to have them there....good point. Didnt want to share my wrist size on the wrist shots as I understand that is a copyright phrase and also the watch was not sized to me properly.
    Apart from the constructive criticism I liked that it was short and to the point without the usual YT waffle.

Think I prefer short format too, hard to know unless you stick a whole bunch of vids out there and what to see what people prefer. I find the circa 15-20 minute vid fairly dull, mostly I want to start and the end bit. Appreciate the feedback. Might do various lengths and see what goes down best, easier to do on my own watches where I can reshoot if I miss something. I will improve with practice.
    I am surprised you haven’t bought this one. You have expressed admiration for it a lot of times.

Have come close alright, but just didnt when I had the milgauss as they are practically identical. I think the dial is cool, but its one where I can understand detractors views also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Fitz II wrote: »

Exactly, some watches are all about the braclet, some the brand, some the complication. This ones main feature is the dial.

Did a few takes with that into, but what can you say about a time only 3131 that you cant see. I had limited footage on this one so was really trying to be concise. I do find movement specs in general fairly boring. Might put them up as text in the future just to have them there....good point. Didnt want to share my wrist size on the wrist shots as I understand that is a copyright phrase and also the watch was not sized to me properly.

Think I prefer short format too, hard to know unless you stick a whole bunch of vids out there and what to see what people prefer. I find the circa 15-20 minute vid fairly dull, mostly I want to start and the end bit. Appreciate the feedback. .

Have come close alright, but just didnt when I had the milgauss as they are practically identical. I think the dial is cool, but its one where I can understand detractors views also.

Think you quoted me a couple of times and attributed them to Wibbs. Doesn't really bother me but it's probably something you might want to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

The beauty of the explorer is that it is a very good quality basic watch that does exactly what it says on the tin. No bullsh1t. The strength of the brand dictates its price which is way over what it should be but you can't really blame Rolex for that. The Air King is just a bit meh. Looks like a bit of a lazy mish mash of parts as Fitz alluded to in his presentation of the watch, albeit it that it wasn't necessarily his opinion. Is that really the rolex anyone wants? Really? At least the Millgaus is funky enough to properly differentiate itself. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but at least its unique. The same can be said of the yachtmaster II. Has anyone ever actually bought one of those? Kudos for doing something a bit different though.

They should stop making OPs and Air Kings and make more subs and GMT IIs. The age old complaint.

• Advertisement

Think you quoted me a couple of times and attributed them to Wibbs. Doesn't really bother me but it's probably something you might want to fix.

Everting looks attributed correctly to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Possibly a boards error - they definitely showed as quotes by Wibbs earlier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dont really get into that stuff cause its all marketing fluff... I do takes with it in and its boring before you get to the meat of why most watch these vids and very far from why most people buy these watches.
    Oh true enough, though the brands seem to think it's pretty important as they're all at the marketing fluff around such things. I suppose the market position of Rolex is much more at the luxury/status transmission end so it's less in play than say Omega's Moonwatch. Plus of all the brand's fans on forums and the like their "own" brand is the best of course, though they're more likely to make corrections about dubious claims whereas Rolex fans tend buy the heritage koolaid far more than others.
    Think I prefer short format too, hard to know unless you stick a whole bunch of vids out there and what to see what people prefer. I find the circa 15-20 minute vid fairly dull, mostly I want to start and the end bit.
    + 1. Shorter is generally better. In most cases of youtuber produced vids I prefer ten minutes or under, very much so in reviews, whether that be watches or anything else. Long format is fine if it's a documentary, but not a review. Your vids are hitting the sweet spot there.
    Sorted, by the powah vested in me... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Possibly a boards error - they definitely showed as quotes by Wibbs earlier.
    Possibly and it wouldn't surprise me, though when editing it showed the wrong name, so I just tweaked them back.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If they only made subs and GMT’s the Rolex world would be very boring
    Aye, but them and the Daytona are the models of the brand. Not a bad lineup either. Omega are the Speedy and the Seamaster. I do get the feeling that the other Rolex lines, which tend to be cheaper and more available are often bought as a stopgap by some to get the name on the wrist. Less so the Milgauss though. That's got a distinctive following. Cellini are another kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Sub 10 and over 10 minutes apparently has a big impact on monetisation if that's at all important - you see people padding out videos to hit the 10min mark because of that. But I think the duration should fit the content - though I could imagine a Fitz 10 min rant against Vostok easily…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭scwazrh

AI do get the feeling that the other Rolex lines, which tend to be cheaper and more available are often bought as a stopgap by some to get the name on the wrist.

Guilty of that with an 39mm op

scwazrh wrote: »
    Guilty of that with an 39mm op
    Ah I dunno S, the OP is a very nice timepiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Ah I dunno S, the OP is a very nice timepiece.

It is but I certainly wouldn’t have bought it if a sub was available.

I have done this settling dozens of times. The odd time I fall in love, but usually the watch doesnt stick. There is such FOMO with Rolex at the moment that people will take anything they are given. I try to be super honest with myself now and a couple of friends are on speed dial and warned to tell me when I am doing it. But it has to be said that at the moment buying any Rolex even as a settle will see you right, shame its not the same with other brands. Would love to try a few depreciation free Zeniths or Breguets.

But it has to be said that at the moment buying any Rolex even as a settle will see you right,
    Very much this. It;s their unique selling point. So even if you grow to hate whatever one it is, you'll get your money back. Can't really go wrong there. That's how the vintage market has always worked, but Rolex are able to pull that off with brand new watches still being made. Major kudos there.
    shame its not the same with other brands. Would love to try a few depreciation free Zeniths or Breguets.
    On the other hand buying used means some other poor bugger takes the hit and you get a cheaper watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Have to disagree with ye on the Rolex thing. Maybe on S/S models you’ll be ok. But for PM models I don’t think that’s the case. I’d expect a loss if I sold my YM tomorrow, in saying that I wanted one for years anyway so it doesn’t matter to me because it’s not for selling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Time wrote: »
    Have to disagree with ye on the Rolex thing. Maybe on S/S models you’ll be ok. But for PM models I don’t think that’s the case. I’d expect a loss if I sold my YM tomorrow

I'm pretty sure the comments were only really about S/S models. PM a different kettle of fish.

PM does still lag behind on a lot of models with a few exceptions, but they are strengthening all the time, particular Daytonas, GMT's and Subs. In precious metal you are correct you have to judge each watch individually.

Patek 5205g Annual Calendar Moonphase Review

https://youtu.be/4kRooiPQ6p4

• Advertisement

Nicely done again. :) I love the case on it. Those fluted lugs. Niiice. I suppose the massive drop in used values is down to sports watches being the thing now? Dress watches just don't have the current ear of the market at all. Which means of course if that's someone's thing it's the right time to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Nice review. Not in my 'price bracket' unfortunately but still interesting. I've subscribed.:)

I am a little sorry to see this one go, as you are. But like Archie says “it’s got to hurt”. There is no one here that is of unlimited means so we have to sell to buy, and sometimes it means selling one that hurts a little.

Pure class though.

Beautiful watch and another really on point and tight review.

I agree with your point on Deployant clasp too.
    Tang buckles at that price point are a disappointment, I can't imagine forking out for a custom strap and then having near immediate heavy wear on it.

The pointer use is a nice addition too, particularly on a complicated dial.
    Look forward to seeing what replaces this in your collection.

I am a little sorry to see this one go, as you are. But like Archie says “it’s got to hurt”. There is no one here that is of unlimited means so we have to sell to buy, and sometimes it means selling one that hurts a little.

Pure class though.

Look its cost me absolutely nothing to try this watch, and a awesome watch it is. What's really lacking is my use for it. It will be nice in the future to be able to look back on the vids I am making, almost like I get to keep a part of the watch.

I hope the sacrifice is worth it for the next one....Working on a good few other reviews, thinking a Seadweller next. One a week is about as much as I can do without it becoming a chore and loosing interest.
    banie01 wrote: »

Oh never though its just the little tool for pressing the pins without scratching the case, must get another that one is gone off to Watchfinder with the watch.

Beautiful watch and another really on point and tight review.

I agree with your point on Deployant clasp too.
    Tang buckles at that price point are a disappointment, I can't imagine forking out for a custom strap and then having near immediate heavy wear on it.

Look forward to seeing what replaces this in your collection.

Traditionally these watches are tang and buckle at this level. It’s def a disappointment. Not to worry. Should you choose you can buy a depolyant......anywhere from 2-5k type money in precious metal.....

I have heard Fitz is bulk buying Vostok.

Traditionally these watches are tang and buckle at this level. It’s def a disappointment. Not to worry. Should you choose you can buy a depolyant......anywhere from 2-5k type money in precious metal.....

I have heard Fitz is bulk buying Vostok.

I heard he is buying the factory and adding a tooth engraving to the crown of every new Fitztok!

Yeah, appreciate that the Deployant particularly in a PM is a fair chunk of expense alright.
    I'm on the hunt for a VC stainless one myself at the mo to go with the straps on order.

I heard he is buying the factory and adding a tooth engraving to the crown of every new Fitztok!

Yeah, appreciate that the Deployant particularly in a PM is a fair chunk of expense alright.
    I'm on the hunt for a VC stainless one myself at the mo to go with the straps on order.

I think the stainless one is 600 for the 2nd generation version from the boutique.

I think the stainless one is 600 for the 2nd generation version from the boutique.

I'll probably end up going with that our trying to hunt down a 2nd hand one once I see how the leather ends up fitting the watch head.

• Advertisement

Oh never though its just the little tool for pressing the pins without scratching the case, must get another that one is gone off to Watchfinder with the watch.

I'd guessed it was a pusher alright. It's the 1st review I've watched where the reviewer made use of something, anything ;)
    To point out specific details, rather than just rely on hand waving and the viewer making a guess.

Its a small thing, but as someone with not a lot of watch knowledge.
    It does make a difference IMO.
    Imagine not knowing what a chapter ring, rehaut, guilloche or any other of the terms that quickly become part and parcel of watch watching are?
    That little pointer makes so much clear immediately, versus the WF standard of watch the gloves, watch the watch.

Quick and simple clarification as you go, and I liked it.

Advertisement