Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I can see this being an uneventful presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Overheal wrote: »
    Well I’m asking you how did Biden make it about race and why do you think he deserves that albatross?

There's no denying that he made it about race:

"Our priority will be Black, Latino, Asian, and Native American owned small businesses, women-owned businesses, and finally having equal access to resources needed to reopen and rebuild."

You may or may not agree with what he said but that's a separate point.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I can see this being an uneventful presidency.

I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Our priority will be Black, Latino, Asian, and Native American owned small businesses, women-owned businesses, and finally having equal access to resources needed to reopen and rebuild."

What’s the context? I’m not a dentist and this is like pulling teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

As far as I can tell, it's "Trump was treated unfairly. Biden is PC gone mad."

I thought that. Just another headline googled and dumped in to support an unsupportable point. The reality is that the Pennsylvannian senate voted for Levine unanimously in 2015. Which meant all Republicans voted for her. Bet the poster didn't know that nor would they understand it. It speaks volumes when that post is the best that anti-Bidenists can come up with.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Doesnt really matter what he does, he wont be held to anything like the same accountability his predecessor was.

Will score plenty of points with the loons though.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/19/biden-rachel-levine-health-secretary-460278

imagine nominating somebody qualified for a job in his administration. It will certainly make a change from appointing yes-men lackeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I reckon we'll be hearing a lot of "so? look at what Trump did!" no matter what Biden does, hopefully Im wrong though and he's judged on his own actions without getting cover for everything by people who hated the last president.

That will likely be the response to those who excused, minimised and denied stuff for Trump. If there's any pearl-clutching about an unqualified lackey being appointed to a position or "acting" cabinet members, then yes, Trump supporters will rightly be called on their hypocrisy. That's just the normal social cost of accepting and defending everything that Trump did - you lose any credibility when criticising someone else for the same activity.

I assume if you're in this thread you're following what's going on. Googling the quote I provided or the topic in general would take as much effort as being a smart ass.

https://katv.com/news/nation-world/biden-faces-backlash-over-vow-to-prioritize-minority-owned-businesses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

As long as he doesn't push for US companies to move out of Ireland why do people care?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

As long as he doesn't push for US companies to move out of Ireland why do people care?

Sorry, but hotmail already has that job.

• Advertisement

I assume if you're in this thread you're following what's going on. Googling the quote I provided or the topic in general would take as much effort as being a smart ass.

https://katv.com/news/nation-world/biden-faces-backlash-over-vow-to-prioritize-minority-owned-businesses

Or just not being cryptic would be helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He wants them to have equal access. What's the problem here?

Is this how discourse is going to be going forward? Trump supporters gish galloping and pretending to care about issues they were curiously and predictably silent about pre-2021?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

keano_afc wrote: »
    Doesnt really matter what he does, he wont be held to anything like the same accountability his predecessor was.

Will score plenty of points with the loons though.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/19/biden-rachel-levine-health-secretary-460278

Hate to break it to you, but Trump got free passes on many, many issues where Obama was roundly criticised by both sides, drone strikes being one such example.

I however look forward to hearing republicans and Trump supporters start comaining about issues such as the deficit, corruption, and international relations, in precisely 27 hours and 4 minutes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Seems to be a selective quote from the below doing the rounds on alt-right sites.

https://twitter.com/Transition46/status/1348403213200990209?s=20

"Our focus will be on small businesses on Main Street, that aren't wealthy and well-connected, that are facing real economic hardships through no fault of their own."

So, he's not saying (as implied) that they will be prioritised over any other businesses, just that there will be equality. God forbid!

Seems to be a selective quote from the below doing the rounds on alt-right sites.

"Our focus will be on small businesses on Main Street, that aren't wealthy and well-connected, that are facing real economic hardships through no fault of their own."

So, he's not saying (as implied) that they will be prioritised over any other businesses, just that there will be equality. God forbid!

that sounds like communism to me

Rather than regurgitating Sinclair right-wing and misleading articles, you should use Google yourself and actually, idk, watch the source video?

Or just not being cryptic would be helpful.

I wasn't cryptic, you just don't like what I said.
    He wants them to have equal access. What's the problem here?

Is this how discourse is going to be going forward? Trump supporters gish galloping and pretending to care about issues they were curiously and predictably silent about pre-2021?

As I said, you may agree with him. But I think racializing covid relief is unnecessary.

And this is a Biden thread. You need to accept that he's going to get some criticism, and not everyone who criticizes him will be a Trump supporter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As I said, you may agree with him. But I think racializing covid relief is unnecessary.

And this is a Biden thread. You need to accept that he's going to get some criticism, and not everyone who criticizes him will be a Trump supporter.

True but my skepticism is piqued when I see terms like "racialized" accompanying out of context quotes.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I wasn't cryptic, you just don't like what I said.

you are criticising him because he wants everybody to have equal access to assistance. think what that says about you.

Was wondering why fox didn’t stomach a piece about it thanks.

Here’s some class folks will be forgiven for having forgot existed in Washington:

https://twitter.com/mediaite/status/1351527796191932416?s=21

• Advertisement

you are criticising him because he wants everybody to have equal access to assistance. think what that says about you.

I think assistance should be based on who needs it the most. End of.

so does biden. If you think otherwise you have not understood what he said, perhaps deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I think Biden could be a great president, but he is inheriting a sh*t show.
    The coronavirus virus is still going to cause massive problems even with a competent administration in the white house.

I going to defer to people with more knowledge of the US but it seems to me the race issues are not going to go away and how Biden deals with that will be important.
    Will he have the ability to influence Policing for example at a local and state level. Obviously he won't be a disaster like Trump, but that is a very low bar.
    I think the black community were instrumental in getting him elected I think the expectation is that there will be change for the better.
    I hope expectations will be realistic.
    A wave of unrealistic optimism could be damaging.

I take it you still haven't bothered to actually look at the literal video of the speech yet. It's 1:27 long, it's hardly an onerous task.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

That will likely be the response to those who excused, minimised and denied stuff for Trump. If there's any pearl-clutching about an unqualified lackey being appointed to a position or "acting" cabinet members, then yes, Trump supporters will rightly be called on their hypocrisy. That's just the normal social cost of accepting and defending everything that Trump did - you lose any credibility when criticising someone else for the same activity.

Yeah, I think Im being overly optimistic when I said I hoped people would judge Biden on his actions. Looks like people will defend/give cover to anything he does because they are "on the team"

joe40 wrote: »
    I think Biden could be a great president, but he is inheriting a sh*t show.
    The coronavirus virus is still going to cause massive problems even with a competent administration in the white house.

I going to defer to people with more knowledge of the US but it seems to me the race issues are not going to go away and how Biden deals with that will be important.
    Will he have the ability to influence Policing for example at a local and state level. Obviously he won't be a disaster like Trump, but that is a very low bar.
    I think the black community were instrumental in getting him elected I think the expectation is that there will be change for the better.
    I hope expectations will be realistic.
    A wave of unrealistic optimism could be damaging.
    I think one of the key things that will come out of having a rational person in the White House is that we can move back from this concept of "what can the President do about __________" and actually remember that the President shouldn't actually be doing things unilaterally. The Executive Branch is about steering the country, not running it per se.

Biden's policies can and should be implemented now that both the Legislative and Executive Branches are controlled by the DNC, and there is a massive amount of legislative work that can be accomplished fairly quickly to help make things better. I wouldn't mind seeing Biden get rid of some Executive Orders right away, but I don't want to see him continue Trump's policy of trying to ram everything through by (mis-)using this power.

so does biden. If you think otherwise you have not understood what he said, perhaps deliberately.

No. I didn't criticize his intention. I said the emphasis he placed on race is unnecessary.

To imply that I'm deliberately trying to twist what he said based on my post here is bad form on your part.

No. I didn't criticize his intention. I said the emphasis he placed on race is unnecceary.

To imply that I'm deliberately trying to twist what he said based on my post here is bad form on your part.

Based on posting history any implication is entirely appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

you aren't accurate, deliberately so I'd imagine.
    Sure he is going to help small businesses BUT the priority will be those minority groups listed.
    if you are white , back of the queue - you aren't as worthy.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    you aren't accurate, deliberately so I'd imagine.
    Sure he is going to help small businesses BUT the priority will be those minority groups listed.
    if you are white , back of the queue - you aren't as [under-privileged]

FYP

It's entirely possible and frankly inevitable someone will file suit against the President's policy just as the muslim-ban was sued. However in the same manner, a speech by the President is not itself sufficient evidence to determine that a heretofore revealed policy is unduly discriminatory, and much like the muslim-ban could well survive litigation.

Advertisement