Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club Secretary Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

callaway92 wrote: »
    You can take the massive emphasis on ‘improving’ away.

It’s about gaining an Edge on your opponents and not slipping too.

You don’t have to improve but you can’t fall behind and have it be too late then to catch up due to stubbornness against an evolving period for Sports Data.

Getting stuck in’ doesn’t cut it anymore.

A lot of fans would disagree with you there! :D:D

The problem is that it leads to an arms race amongst clubs with each club spending more and more money on different things such as sports data and physio treatments. Eventually it would probably lead to clubs suffering from financial problems due to overspending. The financial pool for a lot of clubs is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

kksaints wrote: »

The problem is that it leads to an arms race amongst clubs with each club spending more and more money on different things such as sports data and physio treatments. Eventually it would probably lead to clubs suffering from financial problems due to overspending. The financial pool for a lot of clubs is limited.

Yeh for Clubs, the financial pool is hurting them for sure in regard to investment in Analysis.

Intercounty Teams spend a fortune on Fitness Data (many of them spending 5 figures a year) so there’s definitely money to be spent there. There is increased funding for GAA, Camogie Association and LGFA so there definitely is a bubble to come.

Yeh for Clubs, the financial pool is hurting them for sure in regard to investment in Analysis.

Intercounty Teams spend a fortune on Fitness Data (many of them spending 5 figures a year) so there’s definitely money to be spent there. There is increased funding for GAA, Camogie Association and LGFA so there definitely is a bubble to come.

Interesting, that doesn't include Match Analysis I assume.

Interesting, that doesn't include Match Analysis I assume.

Nah that’s pure fitness data (STATSports being the main crowd). They don’t do performance though.

You’ll see some teams with the vests on and the thing on their upper back. They are major players in Fitness data for multiple sports now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You can take the massive emphasis on ‘improving’ away.

It’s about gaining an Edge on your opponents and not slipping too.

You don’t have to improve but you can’t fall behind and have it be too late then to catch up due to stubbornness against an evolving period for Sports Data.

‘Getting stuck in’ doesn’t cut it anymore.

No one said "getting stuck in" cuts it to be fair.

But it's really not all about winning when you look that bit further into it......

• Advertisement

Nah that’s pure fitness data (STATSports being the main crowd). They don’t do performance though.

You’ll see some teams with the vests on and the thing on their upper back. They are major players in Fitness data for multiple sports now.

Always wonder how comfortable they are, they look odd. Would you have any idea as to what specific data is gathered from them?

Apologies for taking the thread off topic somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

100%

Always wonder how comfortable they are, they look odd. Would you have any idea as to what specific data is gathered from them?

Apologies for taking the thread off topic somewhat.

Top speeds
    Heart Rates
    Length of time at certain speeds

Things like that

It’s only done off the vest, so lack of Pitch XY does hurt it to an extent and doesn’t give the full picture.

Company I was with before had a ‘three camera’ system set up with the players tagged in it that did the fitness tracking. Is definitely better quality but the company doesn’t want to bother with it really.

I also apologise for taking this so off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I see a lot more discussion here since I last visited this thread yesterday afternoon.

I'm going to back to that ballpark figures thing. When you say something like €1,000 depending on how many matches the team would want, do you mean:
    a) you could have several matches analysed for a total of €1,000 so long as you weren't taking the proverbial by asking for 30 or 40 to be done, instead of four or five?

or

b) you could settle on a rate of €1,000 per match, depending on how many you'd be doing overall?

Sorry for getting bogged down in money, but consensus seems to be that whether anybody likes it or not, it's a financial decision for clubs at the end of the day.

I see a lot more discussion here since I last visited this thread yesterday afternoon.

I'm going to back to that ballpark figures thing. When you say something like €1,000 depending on how many matches the team would want, do you mean:
    a) you could have several matches analysed for a total of €1,000 so long as you weren't taking the proverbial by asking for 30 or 40 to be done, instead of four or five?

or

b) you could settle on a rate of €1,000 per match, depending on how many you'd be doing overall?

Sorry for getting bogged down in money, but consensus seems to be that whether anybody likes it or not, it's a financial decision for clubs at the end of the day.

A hypothetical example would be €1,000 for a package of 10 of a team’s own matches to be coded at a certain level (ie if they wanted more in-depth coding, more people would be required). If they wanted extra matches they pay ad-hoc (perhaps some challenge matches etc).

If they started asking for other team’s matches etc if would depend on if we have video for them and/or rights to distribute them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

A rate working out at €100 per match might bring it into the scope of a lot of clubs all right.

I didn't think it likely myself that you'd see any change out of maybe €500 a go.

If you don't mind me suggesting it, put the price somewhere prominent in whatever marketing emails or other material you send. And if you've got in-depth GAA knowledge or experience, play that up too.

I operate my own club's general email address, where many of these marketing mails tend to land. The last one we got about this sort of thing was a few weeks ago from some crowd in Sweden, talking about how they'd worked with top soccer clubs across Europe. Nothing to indicate they had any knowledge of GAA at all (apart from finding our email address!), and nothing to indicate that prices might not be astronomical and beyond the reach of "ordinary" GAA clubs (with apologies to Lost Ormond for using that word again :))

I honestly think your biggest challenge here is not to try convince clubs that they could benefit from professional analysis. It's to convince them that they could afford it.

Offered as friendly advice and hope it's taken that way!

A rate working out at €100 per match might bring it into the scope of a lot of clubs all right.

I didn't think it likely myself that you'd see any change out of maybe €500 a go.

If you don't mind me suggesting it, put the price somewhere prominent in whatever marketing emails or other material you send. And if you've got in-depth GAA knowledge or experience, play that up too.

I operate my own club's general email address, where many of these marketing mails tend to land. The last one we got about this sort of thing was a few weeks ago from some crowd in Sweden, talking about how they'd worked with top soccer clubs across Europe. Nothing to indicate they had any knowledge of GAA at all (apart from finding our email address!), and nothing to indicate that prices might not be astronomical and beyond the reach of "ordinary" GAA clubs (with apologies to Lost Ormond for using that word again :))

I honestly think your biggest challenge here is not to try convince clubs that they could benefit from professional analysis. It's to convince them that they could afford it.

Offered as friendly advice and hope it's taken that way!

Appreciate the feedback!

Advertisement