Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Never noticed it myself either!! Apologies all around!!

On the Club All Ireland being brought into the calendar year. St. Patrick’s Day games was a nice tradition but it was hugely impractical for the clubs involved with such large breaks between the latter stages of the competition.

Personally I think squeezing them into the calendar year leaves things too condensed for the club part of the split season. If it could continue as is with AI semis & finals in January it would allow the provincial campaigns to be pushed back a few weeks which opens up alternative ways to run championships. Currently the championships (in Waterford at least) are being dictated by the number of weeks available to finish both the hurling & football from when the All Ireland has been played to when the first round of the Munster club championship takes place.

There is the novelty factor I guess to holding those big games in December too that may draw bigger crowds, but I’m not so sure it would be a significant increase in attendances.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,826 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think the 2022/23 AI semi finals and finals will be January 2023. I wonder will we see eventually all the hurling finals been one day and all football finals the other, getting rid of the traditional senior double bill

Also apparently no free ticket this year for the season ticket holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Season ticket holders do still get tickets for the AI club hurling finals included. You might be expecting tickets to the BG game but that is for a season in which no season tickets existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

put it back to the interpro finals lots of people would go if they marketed it near guaranteed at 3 provinces involved on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭decies

There are plenty other sports then GAA you know , some are equally as good !!!

Technically bar the league crowds were permitted at games for the 2021 season

Tbh don't care if I have to buy tickets I'll be going to the BG game. Its not every year a Waterford team are in a senior All Ireland final. Hopefully a lot of neutral club supporters will attend the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I agree re the interpro’s/railway cup. I think there is so much potential that could be tapped into. If anyone is familiar with the ‘State of Origin’ concept in Australian rugby league, every year the flagship event is where states(provinces) selections play each other and you have the cream of the crop going at it hammer and things. Can you imagine Leinster v Munster playing in hurling every year in a packed Croke Park/Thurles. A forward line with Cian Lynch, Hoggy and Aussie Gleeson up against the likes of TJ Reid Lee Chin or whoever else from Leinster. Whether Galway would be Leinster or Connacht is another days work but it’s a concept that the GAA is missing a trick on imo

Dublin hammer Wexford in Walsh cup final, they did similar to Galway earlier in the comp. They are obviously further along pre season prep than most (all?) Other teams. Gonna be a very tricky ask for us next Sunday in Parnell park. Worth remembering if we are beat, possibly well beat and the doom mongering starts

Best of luck to the Footballers who start there NFL campaign tomorrow against Tipp in Fraher Field

In hurling Dublin with another big win in the Walsh Cup final and will have massive momentum going into the league game against us next Sunday. With Ballygunner players not back in the Waterford camp til around round 3 or round 4 of the league it will give some players a massive change of getting into the championship squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Nah that day is gone, and has been gone for a long time now..

The club championship is where its at now

Waterford 0-6 tipp 0-6 half time in the football

Good result for us and a boost heading into the away game against London next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'm delighted Dublin seem to be in good form ahead of Sunday. You want to play good teams as that's where you learn. With the Ballygunner lads out there will be a few jerseys available and Dublin should show us if those lads can offer something.

Very true and looking forward to the game. Not a fan of Parnell Park and its been a difficult enough venue for us

Waterford SHC 2022 Draw:

Group A - Ballygunner, Passage, De La Salle

Group B - Mount Sion, Abbeyside, Tallow

Group C - Roanmore, Lismore, Dunhill

Group D - Dungarvan, Fourmilewater, Clonea

Waterford SFC 2022 Draw:

Group A - Ballinacourty, Clashmore/Kinsalebeg, Brickey Rangers

Group B - Rathgormack, Kilrossanty, St Saviour's

Group C - Gaultier, Kilmacthomas, Portlaw

Group D - The Nire, Stradbally, An Rinn

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Group A of the hurling looks like the Group of Death, the DLS-Passage game is a huge one. Group D of the football is the toughest of the group and I think there’s 2 relegated this year so if you finish bottom of your group, you only get one chance to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Pudz2180

Paidi maher announces his retirement from hurling with club and county due to medical advice hard for any player to go out that way. Will probably go down as one of tipps all time greats rarely had a bad day. One of those rival players that you disliked, but behind it all you'd love to have had him on your team

• Advertisement

I think the preliminary quarter final was reinstated also so even if finish bottom of group in the football you have that & potentially a relegation playoff game to get yourself out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

From perusing various match reports, I have identified 18 Waterford players who have seen action so far in this year’s Fitzgibbon Cup. Not surprisingly, Waterford IT accounts for the biggest group of these, but what may be surprising is that no less than 12 Waterford players have played in their two games so far (see list below), including five who, I believe, are on the Waterford senior panel – Billy Nolan, Tom Barron, Shane Bennett, Gavin Fives and Ciarán Kirwan. It is great to see Pádraig Fitzgerald of Kilrossanty (not a noted hurling stronghold) getting a starting place on the team against DCU last week, having come on as a sub against IT Carlow the previous week.

Of the other six Waterford players who have seen action, Iarlaith Daly (UCC), Michael Kiely and Billy Power (both UL) are also on the Waterford senior panel. Does anyone know what the position of Cárthach Daly is, college-wise?

There are a number of other Waterford players on the published Fitzgibbon panels of various colleges who have not seen action. I am a little surprised that two of these – Cian Wadding and Oisín O’Gorman of Mary Immaculate College – have not made an appearance.

Waterford players who have played Fitzgibbon this year:

Billy Nolan (WIT)

Tom Barron (WIT)

Shane Bennett (WIT)

Gavin Fives (WIT)

Ciarán Kirwan (WIT)

Conor Ryan (Roanmore) (WIT)

Máirtín de Paor (Clonea) (WIT)

Jack Lyons (Ballyduff Lr) (WIT)

Owen Reilly (Passage) (WIT)

Alan Kirwan (Mt Sion) (WIT)

Pádraig Fitzgerald (Kilrossanty) (WIT)

Neil O’Sullivan (Ferrybank) (WIT)

Iarlaith Daly (UCC)

Liam O’Brien Ballinameela (UCD)

PJ Fanning (Mt Sion) (MIC)

Michael Kiely (UL)

Billy Power (Clonea) (UL)

Tonto Douglas (DLS) (TU Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭JD. 60

Match against Cork has been pushed back one week, ie. to May 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What's the story with parking around Parnell Park? Is it handy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭JD. 60

There are plenty side streets to park on, within short walking distance. The nearby church car park is an option (might be a fiver charge).

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Déise in Dublin (the Waterford GAA Supporters Club in Dublin) are holding a pre match event in association with WLRfm in St. Vincents GAA club, Malahide Road with Kieran O'Connor MC and special guests. This is less than 10 minutes walk from Parnell Park and you can park there. Further details later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

These were badly needed this is a very positive move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

There are lots of residential streets opposite the church which you don't have to pay for parking at. Probably won't be a huge crowd but if you get to those streets early you should be fine, short walk to the ground then

Advertisement