Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

A couple of stations showing temp of only 3c this morning, that's promising for later when you consider the colder air hasn't yet arrived, I think this event could be a bit better than predicted. On the satellite there's a rash of showers out to the west in mid Atlantic, they have our name on it later this afternoon/evening, they could pack a punch also with thunder and lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock just 2 degrees at 1000. Certainly be some snow there overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitter intense cold out here. Almost hurts to breathe

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Knock just 2 degrees at 1000. Certainly be some snow there overnight.

I also see Jou's station on the Roscommon/Mayo border that regularly updates in the current reports thread showed a drop from 4.2c to 2.9c in the two hours up to 9.26am this morning. Might indeed be a little more promising for those looking for some snow later. As ever it will probably be a borderline affair but a few tentative steps in the right direction this morning if you want to see a few flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Connacht, Cavan and Donegal

Tonight and on Monday morning, wintry showers will bring some accumulations of snow, especially on high ground.

Valid: 18:00 Sunday 26/01/2020 to 11:00 Monday 27/01/2020

Issued: 10:00 Sunday 26/01/2020

9-B7-E03-B6-12-F5-49-DC-997-F-4-D71561-B6-FCF.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock,showers of sleet moving in early tonight followed by light showers of Snow

EIKN 261100Z 2612/2712 22012KT 9999 FEW012 BKN020
    TEMPO 2612/2616 4900 SHRA BKN012 SCT018CB PROB30
    TEMPO 2612/2613 3000 -SHRASN BKN006 BECMG 2613/2615 18010KT
    BECMG 2616/2618 16016G26KT
    TEMPO 2620/2712 3000 SHRASN BKN004 SCT017CB
    BECMG 2621/2623 20013KT TEMPO 2621/2712 20015G25KT 1000 -SHSN BKN002 FEW018

met ie advisory is now a Yellow Warning.. Connacht, Cavan and Donegal.. Under starters orders!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

How many times have I started a thread that has turned out to be a damp squib?

Stick with me, you'll be grand :cool: :p

OP stands as my forecast. Nothing has changed.

At least 3 for the past 2 or 3 winters lol checked the weather again this morning the only chance we have of a shower up this end is from 7 to 11 tonight otherwise dry and frosty for 3 days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

High cloud thinning out here near Tralee, 6.1C Plenty of showers out there to make its way inland later. Wind SW

Sl5NfYz.jpg

temp_uk_rnc6.png

qB4nQHn.png

dUYxmxJ.png

7GA1X4Y.png

MbUYekb.png

pw8y9oT.png

Decent fall of hail in Kildare now. Roofs turning a little white with it. The excitement is surreal....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

One thing out of this is that the EURO$ is going to have a spectacular success and catch us all out or is going to show itself up as being way over the top, it really is out on its own with snowfall predictions, looks like it is on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Looking at the radar loop there is definitely a well organized cluster of showers to start feeding in later they look fairly hefty in nature.
    Timing is everything but I would not be surprised if the Midlands and parts of inland East were to get a sprinkling by the morning.
    Plenty of lamp post watching in the offering.

Some of the models showing wintry precipitation including snow making its way further inland tomorrow. I think how they handle tonight will give better confidence for tomorrow .

anim_egl2.gif

anim_dkg3.gif

anim_shr7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

One thing out of this is that the EURO$ is going to have a spectacular success and catch us all out or is going to show itself up as being way over the top, it really is out on its own with snowfall predictions, looks like it is on steroids.

Its a decent short term model I have always liked. Just for rhe record, I was using it to track possible snow in the NW Alps before a ski trip last week and its bullish forecast for snow one night was much more accurate than the Arome and Hirlam equivalents (but it wasnt on its own and had support from Aperge, Icon and the GFS).

Decent convective showers all ready to roll into the west. Higher ground is going to get pasted. Plenty of sparks along the west coast I’d imagine.

2-E1-FBB80-72-C1-41-CD-B31-B-1-D2677-E46686.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

YR Has rain for Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anybody know where I can view current temps across the country in real time?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Anybody know where I can view current temps across the country in real time?
    https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperatures.php?region=uk

And "Point de rosée" on left margin is dew point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Also wow.met.ie.

(I have no idea why the URL doesn't work)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Decent convective showers all ready to roll into the west. Higher ground is going to get pasted. Plenty of sparks along the west coast I’d imagine.

2-E1-FBB80-72-C1-41-CD-B31-B-1-D2677-E46686.jpg

Latest model guidance suggests snow with that trough focused on the northwest and north midlands early tonight. Touch and go for other areas. It may just be rain elsewhere but snow can't be ruled out either particularly in heavier pulses.

Ditto on the thunderstorm risk, some heavy hail showers in coastal areas as well.

Its a decent short term model I have always liked. Just for rhe record, I was using it to track possible snow in the NW Alps before a ski trip last week and its bullish forecast for snow one night was much more accurate than the Arome and Hirlam equivalents (but it wasnt on its own and had support from Aperge, Icon and the GFS).

Interesting. Good test for it tonight /tomorrow, it's a model I would love if it could prove to be a bit more accurate, have noticed it can over do the rainfall predictions and wind speeds.Timing is good. For the record below is what it is predicting.

Showing colder 850 hPa temperatures than the French models and bringing the freezing level much lower.

anim_ymn8.gif

anim_ojw7.gif

anim_omk9.gif

anim_koi7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Going to be an interesting night,
    Working the death shift tonight something to keep me occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Also wow.met.ie.

(I have no idea why the URL doesn't work)

This link is hopeless on my phone

Stick to meteociel if on mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Forecast for midnight from the UK Met Office. Minor troughs closing in on NW coasts, so a pep up in shower activity up there with maybe the odd spark or two:

url]

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Snowfall confined on high grounds only. Areas most at risk North half of the country, It's quite a long fetch i don't see much penetrating past the Midlands only organised bands might make it to the East Coast which is more likely to be sleet, snow on heavier bursts. I wouldn't keep my hopes up if i was in the East coast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

YanSno wrote: »
    Snowfall confined on high grounds only. Areas most at risk North half of the country, It's quite a long fetch i don't see much penetrating past the Midlands only organised bands might make it to the East Coast which is more likely to be sleet, snow on heavier bursts. I wouldn't keep my hopes up if i was in the East coast.

that's how it usually is with these 'cold' westerlies and I don't expect this one to be any different, far too long of an ocean track to have any real wintry impact away from high ground or brief dustings in lucky places. Having said that anyone who does see flakes, they could be the only flakes of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trough coming on shore over the next couple of hours in western counties.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

The northwest likely to be the focus for snowfall with this (and down in to the north midlands) this evening/early tonight which may leave some accumulations. Wintry elsewhere, more of a mixed bag with rain/sleet/snow.

Hail/sleet/snow showers then continuing overnight in the northwest, much more scattered elsewhere.

No more sunshine.

The sun has been defeated by dark heavy clouds being driven dramatically across the sky at great speed, but still fighting to break through.. Wind has risen to the occasion and is starting to howl in great gusts

Clouds scudding in and as if being driven on to the land in great swathes.

Bitter cold flays the skin.... Soon be falling something icy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Confidence growing now in a spell of sleet and snow crossing the country tomorrow evening. The gfs is very bullish about it and could well leave a few cms in its wake on a Nationwide scale!
    As for tonight it's looking more rain than snow

Advertisement