Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

One thing out of this is that the EURO$ is going to have a spectacular success and catch us all out or is going to show itself up as being way over the top, it really is out on its own with snowfall predictions, looks like it is on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Looking at the radar loop there is definitely a well organized cluster of showers to start feeding in later they look fairly hefty in nature.
    Timing is everything but I would not be surprised if the Midlands and parts of inland East were to get a sprinkling by the morning.
    Plenty of lamp post watching in the offering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some of the models showing wintry precipitation including snow making its way further inland tomorrow. I think how they handle tonight will give better confidence for tomorrow .

anim_egl2.gif

anim_dkg3.gif

anim_shr7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

One thing out of this is that the EURO$ is going to have a spectacular success and catch us all out or is going to show itself up as being way over the top, it really is out on its own with snowfall predictions, looks like it is on steroids.

Its a decent short term model I have always liked. Just for rhe record, I was using it to track possible snow in the NW Alps before a ski trip last week and its bullish forecast for snow one night was much more accurate than the Arome and Hirlam equivalents (but it wasnt on its own and had support from Aperge, Icon and the GFS).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Decent convective showers all ready to roll into the west. Higher ground is going to get pasted. Plenty of sparks along the west coast I’d imagine.

2-E1-FBB80-72-C1-41-CD-B31-B-1-D2677-E46686.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

YR Has rain for Mayo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anybody know where I can view current temps across the country in real time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Anybody know where I can view current temps across the country in real time?
    https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperatures.php?region=uk

And "Point de rosée" on left margin is dew point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,229 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Also wow.met.ie.

(I have no idea why the URL doesn't work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,917 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Decent convective showers all ready to roll into the west. Higher ground is going to get pasted. Plenty of sparks along the west coast I’d imagine.

2-E1-FBB80-72-C1-41-CD-B31-B-1-D2677-E46686.jpg

Latest model guidance suggests snow with that trough focused on the northwest and north midlands early tonight. Touch and go for other areas. It may just be rain elsewhere but snow can't be ruled out either particularly in heavier pulses.

Ditto on the thunderstorm risk, some heavy hail showers in coastal areas as well.

Its a decent short term model I have always liked. Just for rhe record, I was using it to track possible snow in the NW Alps before a ski trip last week and its bullish forecast for snow one night was much more accurate than the Arome and Hirlam equivalents (but it wasnt on its own and had support from Aperge, Icon and the GFS).

Interesting. Good test for it tonight /tomorrow, it's a model I would love if it could prove to be a bit more accurate, have noticed it can over do the rainfall predictions and wind speeds.Timing is good. For the record below is what it is predicting.

Showing colder 850 hPa temperatures than the French models and bringing the freezing level much lower.

anim_ymn8.gif

anim_ojw7.gif

anim_omk9.gif

anim_koi7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Going to be an interesting night,
    Working the death shift tonight something to keep me occupied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pauldry

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Also wow.met.ie.

(I have no idea why the URL doesn't work)

This link is hopeless on my phone

Stick to meteociel if on mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Forecast for midnight from the UK Met Office. Minor troughs closing in on NW coasts, so a pep up in shower activity up there with maybe the odd spark or two:

url]

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Snowfall confined on high grounds only. Areas most at risk North half of the country, It's quite a long fetch i don't see much penetrating past the Midlands only organised bands might make it to the East Coast which is more likely to be sleet, snow on heavier bursts. I wouldn't keep my hopes up if i was in the East coast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

YanSno wrote: »
    Snowfall confined on high grounds only. Areas most at risk North half of the country, It's quite a long fetch i don't see much penetrating past the Midlands only organised bands might make it to the East Coast which is more likely to be sleet, snow on heavier bursts. I wouldn't keep my hopes up if i was in the East coast.

that's how it usually is with these 'cold' westerlies and I don't expect this one to be any different, far too long of an ocean track to have any real wintry impact away from high ground or brief dustings in lucky places. Having said that anyone who does see flakes, they could be the only flakes of the winter.

Trough coming on shore over the next couple of hours in western counties.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

The northwest likely to be the focus for snowfall with this (and down in to the north midlands) this evening/early tonight which may leave some accumulations. Wintry elsewhere, more of a mixed bag with rain/sleet/snow.

Hail/sleet/snow showers then continuing overnight in the northwest, much more scattered elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No more sunshine.

The sun has been defeated by dark heavy clouds being driven dramatically across the sky at great speed, but still fighting to break through.. Wind has risen to the occasion and is starting to howl in great gusts

Clouds scudding in and as if being driven on to the land in great swathes.

Bitter cold flays the skin.... Soon be falling something icy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Confidence growing now in a spell of sleet and snow crossing the country tomorrow evening. The gfs is very bullish about it and could well leave a few cms in its wake on a Nationwide scale!
    As for tonight it's looking more rain than snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

To somewhat quote Father Jack "We lie in wait like wolves. The sight of snow in the charts. Waiting. Interminably waiting. And then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Some hail showers here this morning though turned into a nice day now.

Not expecting a whole lot here, maybe a dusting by morning but at least it's a bit of weather to look at for a change. Only snow I've seen all winter so far was some high ground ninja frontal snow in early November, very unusual to get this late into the season without even a non-sticking shower of snow in Letterkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has quietened and peacened and the low dark clouds lie along the horizons, and there is tranquillity.

A bit more like it tomorrow potentially

33-574UK.GIF?26-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Yellow here in Cavan. Although the it seems.only the extreme weat of Cavan in line for anything tonight. Hopefully the week brings more chamces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

An hour ago I was out in the garden with blueish skies. Now there is snow falling.
    North Kerry.

Meteorite what have you done to the weather ?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Hooter23

You know its serious when they put out a Yellow snow warning;)

c3051afd50e69b6f80203ffbde5e009f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

2c here in Kildare at the moment and with that band of precipitation moving across the country one can’t help get a little excited.

Dropped to 3.3C , sleety rain driving out at the base of the mountains on the Tralee to Dingle road, got a clearance and a nice bit of snow on the mountains in a short space of time.

Pic 17.00

iWtXHYX.jpg?1

View looking out the Tralee Bay, nice colour to those clouds, wintry looking.

bXZxGsZ.jpg?1

AROME 12Z getting a bit more in on the act on now.

anim_oqt6.gif

• Advertisement

Confidence growing now in a spell of sleet and snow crossing the country tomorrow evening. The gfs is very bullish about it and could well leave a few cms in its wake on a Nationwide scale!
    As for tonight it's looking more rain than snow

Plenty of ensemble support for that now. More organisation about it now, more like an occlusion.

Could bring more than we expected hitherto up till now. Would surely bring some lying snow to the south midlands, east and north.

Will ECM back? If it does, game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Getting windy with that band of rain/sleet coming in now...Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

its raining, west Mayo with sleety bits, oh christ, jesus wept. The state of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

its now turned more to sleet, so there is a sleet wall building on the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

HIRLAM Snowfall estimate for 48 hrs from lunchtime today:

501093.png

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Haha Cork completely white - and that’s not the snow white variety....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Graces7 wrote: »
    No more sunshine.

The sun has been defeated by dark heavy clouds being driven dramatically across the sky at great speed, but still fighting to break through.. Wind has risen to the occasion and is starting to howl in great gusts

Clouds scudding in and as if being driven on to the land in great swathes.

Bitter cold flays the skin.... Soon be falling something icy.

I wish all weather reports read like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Waterford City and County Council have issued a severe weather alert on twitter?? It then mentions it is status yellow. Since when was yellow severe? Someone must be drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leahyl wrote: »
    Haha Cork completely white - and that’s not the snow white variety....

What ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

According to the Netweather radar, it should be torrents out there, yet only the odd light spit if that at all.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

alta stare wrote: »
    Waterford City and County Council have issued a severe weather alert on twitter?? It then mentions it is status yellow. Since when was yellow severe? Someone must be drunk.

Yellow snow can be severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

A bit more like it tomorrow potentially

33-574UK.GIF?26-12

Raining here at the mo, cork snow shield holding strong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Yellow snow can be severe.

Right.....but it is looking like we wont get snow and the slight chance we do then i doubt it will be severe. The yellow warning is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Beside knock airport ...more rain than sleet at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What ?

I was referring to the chart - there’s nothing over cork typically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Heavy showers of rain here in Castlebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Heavy showers of rain here in Castlebar

A few flakes mixed through it 11kms east of Castlebar now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    A few flakes mixed through it 11kms east of Castlebar now.

Sleety rain in foxford too.

Actually snowing now in foxford, mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock, 3 degrees.light shower of rain. Dew point 1.

• Advertisement

The initial front seems to be nearly all rain with some sleet mixed in. Temp up again here near Tralee to 5.3C

temp_uk_dhz2.png

pointrosee_uk_xip3.png

Advertisement