Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

BBC’s The Film Programme is hard to beat. Well produced with a nice balance of recent and older films, and crucially (for me at least) it doesn’t overstay its welcome. For more casual film related conversation, I also enjoy Fighting in the War Room (formerly Operation Kino).

Filmspotting is probably the most popular film podcast, so check that out as well. Personally I find it overlong and over-produced, but it’s still worth listening to from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

/filmcast and Filmspotting are my favorite podcasts on current film. There's a great balance between them on the mainstream and the arthouse.

We Hate Movies is also very entertaining for reviews of terrible movies and weird cult cinema.

BBC’s The Film Programme is hard to beat. Well produced with a nice balance of recent and older films, and crucially (for me at least) it doesn’t overstay its welcome. For more casual film related conversation, I also enjoy Fighting in the War Room (formerly Operation Kino).
    Hmm must check this out. First I've heard of it!

I'd say Kermode and Mayo's show is more popular than Filmspotting though, by a good amount too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So lads any reccomendations for a decent podcast on films? Thinking of something that talks about recent films, maybe talks about classics as well?

Mayo and Kermode is very good but I've heard people complain that there are too many in jokes which I get. I'm lucky to have been listenibg for 5 years now but that aside Kermode is an excellent critic.

The Empire Podcast is also enjoyable, they have good interviews and the discussions can be very good and funny. But they do a lot of stuff on the 'big' films. Their best thing is their spoiler specials which they don't do nearly enough, basically they'll just have an in-depth conversation about a new release. They're great.

I've been listening to the podcast for years and get the in-jokes but they've gotten really really annoying tbh with them never being that funny to begin with. I also don't like way you have to wade through half an hour of boring listener stories just to get to any film related stuff, shame because when they get there it's really good.

• Advertisement

Nailed the unfinished David O'Russell film which was shelved a number of years back is now available on VOD under the blander title Accidental Love

Was wondering why Gyllenhall looked so much more boyish in that trailer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's funny that the premise for that film no longer exists now Obama Care exists. I think.....

Anyone know how booking tickets for IMC works? Do I need the card with me to collect them or do I get an email/text I can show? Waiting on a replacement card and can still use it on amazon and the like as I memorised the important details.

Anyone know how booking tickets for IMC works? Do I need the card with me to collect them or do I get an email/text I can show? Waiting on a replacement card and can still use it on amazon and the like as I memorised the important details.
    In IMC Dun Laoghaire you need a card for the ticket machines. But maybe you could go to the desk with your booking reference. I've had problems with machines in a few cinemas now but the ticket sellers have always been able to sort it out.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    In IMC Dun Laoghaire you need a card for the ticket machines. But maybe you could go to the desk with your booking reference. I've had problems with machines in a few cinemas now but the ticket sellers have always been able to sort it out.

Hopefully it works, so much handier to book the tickets on line and not have to queue.

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/director-blames-film-flop-on-social-justice-agenda/?tu=dd

Guy makes a laughable short film, blames the "social justice agenda" on it not winning awards.

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/director-blames-film-flop-on-social-justice-agenda/?tu=dd

Guy makes a laughable short film, blames the "social justice agenda" on it not winning awards.

Still superior to a lot of student films I've endured.

Neill Blomkamp is officially directing a sequel to Aliens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It seems that next month, several months after it received a home release, Goodbye to Language 3D is getting a limited theatrical run! Bizarre situation, but at least more people will get to see the only 3D film that really matters as it should be seen :)

Adi Shankar has released his latest bootleg film Power/Rangers. Directed by Joesph Kahn who directed the brilliant Detention and starring Kate Sachoff and James Van Der Beek it's a pretty damn cool short that I would love to see expanded upon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hideaki Anno (of Evangelion) and the director of the upcoming Attack on Titan film are working together on a new Japanese Godzilla film. The former is a fascinating choice - if he brings the smarts and subversive spirit of Evangelion over it could be something very special. Of course it could just be another conservative Japanese studio affair.

On the plus side, on the strength of the pair's recent short film, it should look great. If they carry over this sort of 'eccentric retro' effects work it could be very memorable: https://vimeo.com/64987176

Figured that starting a thread for Eadweard would be a bit pointless as I imagine it would see at best a single post so decided that here was the best place for it. It's a film about Eadweard Muybridge who is widely considered to be the father of motion pictures. As a fan of Michael Eklund, it's nice to see him in a leading role in a nongenre picture and the story of Eadweard is incredibly interesting. Shame that this will most likely never see the inside of a theater here and may not even get a DVD release.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

It's almost amazing what you can source in car boot sales.

Or even charity shops. Take a scout. the crying game for a euro fifty. death weekend
    on tape for two. how rare is that? on the vampix label no less and pristine. some c*hap
    already offered me 80 quid. no dice.

I like that in a pilot. he'd want to up his ante.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh, I was going to wonder where my last post went from this thread, before realising I posted in the last, and much older, off-topic thread. D'oh.

• Advertisement

5666308.jpg

Incredible.

Fascinating article / interview on film restoration, focused on a restored version of The Apu Trilogy Criterion have recently finished:

http://www.avclub.com/article/how-film-restorers-brought-apu-trilogy-back-life-218781

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Incredible.

I thought it was a funny scene :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What the hell? :confused:

Must give Freddie Got Fingered a go. Heard some people defend it pretty strongly as a kind of deranged masterpiece. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I had no idea this was happening >_< guess it's the final nail in the coffin of
    Campbell & Raimi making a proper 4th movie but it looks potentially fun all the same, colour me cautious though:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

After the tragic My Name Is Bruce, I'm seriously gonna approach that with extreme caution and expectations in the negative digits.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I had no idea this was happening >_< guess it's the final nail in the coffin of
    Campbell & Raimi making a proper 4th movie but it looks potentially fun all the same, colour me cautious though:

Funny, one of my pet peeves in TV circles is how shows will get a film director to helm the pilot, make it look absolutely fantastic, then the rest of the series ends up with the most pedestrian direction: this, possibly, with Sam Raimi, House of Cards (David Fincher), Boardwalk Empire (Martin Scorsese), Sleepy Hollow (ok, Len Wiseman is a total hack, but his cinematic approach was all over the pilots aesthetics); Game of Thrones kinda did it when they got Neil Marshell to direct the action-heavy episodes. Dunno why but it always feels like such a tease

• Advertisement

I could (and have) listen to this guy talk about movies for hours.

Advertisement