Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Film forum off topic/ random chat thread?

2456738

Comments

  • #2


    Anyone read comics? just finished Year 2 of Injustice: Gods Among Us, it's a brilliant read. Definitely puts the "Superman is boring" argument to bed, good jesus...
    Didn't play the game but wouldnt mind giving it a bash now.


  • #2


    Seen a 65" Samsung Curved 4K TV yesterday and fell in love.


  • #2


    Really look forward to the day that 4K (if not 8K) becomes the norm for TV, film and gaming in households.

    Might try my hand at building a 4K gaming PC in a few years when the technology catches up and also becomes cheaper.


  • #2


    krudler wrote: »
    Anyone read comics? just finished Year 2 of Injustice: Gods Among Us, it's a brilliant read. Definitely puts the "Superman is boring" argument to bed, good jesus...
    Didn't play the game but wouldnt mind giving it a bash now.

    Didn't realise there was a comic of that, will have to give it a look.


  • #2


    e_e wrote: »
    Really look forward to the day that 4K (if not 8K) becomes the norm for TV, film and gaming in households.

    Might try my hand at building a 4K gaming PC in a few years when the technology catches up and also becomes cheaper.

    In a couple of years 50" and under 4K TVs will be under a grand.


  • #2


    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Didn't realise there was a comic of that, will have to give it a look.

    It's really, really good.Ton of characters from the DC universe in it and I wasn't familiar with some them but it's a great read. Year 3 is starting soon.


  • #2


    Anyone got any idea, what was being filmed in Charlemont St flats today? Actors and extras appeared to be dressed in '70's style clothing.


  • #2


    Anyone got any idea, what was being filmed in Charlemont St flats today? Actors and extras appeared to be dressed in '70's style clothing.

    Could it have been Sing Street? John Carney's new film, it was supposed to start filming sometime this Summer. Think it's set in the 80's though.


  • #2


    Got a ticket to this week's IFI members screening - first time since they moved to their 'new' ticket allocation system! For a few years there I was wondering whether the membership screenings even actually happened any more, given I got tickets to pretty much every screening under their earlier system.

    Now, next time it will hopefully be a film I've heard of :p


  • #2


    What's the deal with these member screenings anyway? Can't say I've ever visibly gotten an invite.


  • #2


    These are brilliant :D







  • #2


    e_e wrote: »
    What's the deal with these member screenings anyway? Can't say I've ever visibly gotten an invite.

    They send 'competition' email invites out around once a month. I've replied to loads, but this is the first successful one. A few years ago it was near guaranteed you'd get to go if you responded promptly.


  • #2


    So Steven Soderbergh decided to turn Raiders of the Lost Ark into a black and white film, and removed all the audio and replaced it with the score from The Social Network, just for an excercise in how films are edited and paced. And boy does Raiders look beautiful in b&w: http://extension765.com/sdr/18-raiders


  • #2


    This is a weird one: BBC3 will be airing Drive on October 30, albeit with a re-scored soundtrack courtesy of a Radio 1 DJ and a host of trendy bands. The link below contains a sample of some of the music to expect, and while I'm personally a fan of Chvrches, their music feels ... wrong, inappropriate compared with the more brooding, languid styling of the original OST.

    http://pitchfork.com/news/57149-chvrches-jon-hopkins-foals-sbtrkt-more-make-new-drive-soundtrack/

    It all seems utterly redundant really, but it did get me thinking about other occasions where films might have had differing soundtracks applied. The only one I can think of immediately would be Dawn of the Dead, where the international release had a soundtrack composed by an Italian group called Goblin.


  • #2


    Bit of a fixture around Dublin, but not entirely surprising news given the way media consumption is heading. I can't honestly say I was their most faithful customer by any means, but it's always a shame to see these sort of specialist stores go out of business.

    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/laser-dvd-closure-1751692-Oct2014/
    ONE OF DUBLIN’S most well know stores for picking up classic films, world cinema and some indie surprises is to close its doors after 25 years.
    Laser DVD has been located on George’s Street for the past 22 years having been in Ranelagh for a number of years before that.


  • #2


    Conspiracy theory: Frozen and The Shining are the same movie

    Don't know why but those pictures of Elsa and Jack side by side crack me up.


  • #2


    e_e wrote: »
    Conspiracy theory: Frozen and The Shining are the same movie

    Don't know why but those pictures of Elsa and Jack side by side crack me up.

    Actually, Elsa kind of looks like Natalie Dormer there, wonky mouth and all.


  • #2


    ?format=1000w

    Haha, damn. Such a loopy theory but it's fascinating and funny at the same time.


  • #2


    What's with the amount of ads in Cineworld lately? Was in there today and the film didn't start until 26 minutes after the scheduled time. :eek:


  • #2


    e_e wrote: »
    What's with the amount of ads in Cineworld lately? Was in there today and the film didn't start until 26 minutes after the scheduled time. :eek:

    Haven't they always been around the 25 minute mark? I haven't been in Cineworld as much as I used to be, but any occasion I timed the adverts in the past they were clocking in or around that length. Either way, it's fairly ludicrous.


  • #2


    I was in an Odeon the other day, haven't been in it since it was UCI. Film scheduled to start at 2:15, we're sat there for a good 10 minutes before the screen even comes on. About 2:30 the ads start. About 2:45 the trailers start. Now it's pushing 3.00 and...... more ads.

    I guess people got wise to the fact films weren't starting when it said and were skipping the ads and trailers. So now even if you come in late you still have to sit through them.


  • #2


    Actually, getting in on time often means being constantly interrupted by latecomers.


  • #2


    e_e wrote: »
    What's with the amount of ads in Cineworld lately? Was in there today and the film didn't start until 26 minutes after the scheduled time. :eek:

    It’s the same in Vue. I don’t mind trailers so much but the ads shown before them are torture. I don’t watch any broadcast television, so the cinema is my only exposure to them.


  • #2


    pixelburp wrote: »
    Haven't they always been around the 25 minute mark? I haven't been in Cineworld as much as I used to be, but any occasion I timed the adverts in the past they were clocking in or around that length. Either way, it's fairly ludicrous.
    Up until the past few visits (been going there for years) they've been from the 15 to 20 minute mark.

    Checked my watch and the actual trailers didn't even begin until after 15 minutes. :pac:


  • #2


    It’s the same in Vue. I don’t mind trailers so much but the ads shown before them are torture. I don’t watch any broadcast television, so the cinema is my only exposure to them.
    Yeah these ads are exactly why whenever I watch TV I just DVR the show and then skip them.


  • #2


    e_e wrote: »
    Up until the past few visits (been going there for years) they've been from the 15 to 20 minute mark.

    Checked my watch and the actual trailers didn't even begin until after 15 minutes. :pac:

    Hmm, I've definitely clocked the delay at 25 minutes in the past, but not always tbh, and I've wondered if perhaps the time of day and relative popularity of the screening has anything to do with how many/few adverts are shown?


  • #2


    e_e wrote: »
    What's with the amount of ads in Cineworld lately? Was in there today and the film didn't start until 26 minutes after the scheduled time. :eek:

    26 is a decent chunk of time for people to get rid of those nachos before a film starts.


  • #2


    Cineworld's farcical pricing means its excessive advertising is thankfully not something I find myself enduring very often.


  • #2


    Was 25 mins (After the advertised start time) waiting for Interstellar to begin in the OmniMaxx screen in MP. Now I know how they're paying for it! All the seats in every screen are allocated now which is great and I was one of the last to arrive as I enjoy being able to skip the ads, Some people must have been sitting there well over 45 mins before it started. Crazy. The start time should be the start time of the film, not the 25 minute long ads.

    Also the picture was horrendously dark in there (Usually only shows 3D movies in that fantastic 4k screen which is daft). Assuming it was due to only one 2k channel in use? They shouldn't get away wth that malarky. It was very conspicuous and borderline annoying.


  • #2


    Goldstein wrote: »
    Also the picture was horrendously dark in there (Usually only shows 3D movies in that fantastic 4k screen which is daft). Assuming it was due to only one 2k channel in use? They shouldn't get away wth that malarky. It was very conspicuous and borderline annoying.

    The 3D polarisation filter hadn’t been removed. On Sony 4k systems they are built into the lens of the projector. Ideally the lens should be changed for 2D films, but multiplex staff aren’t trained nor allowed anywhere near the projector.

    Vue regularly show 2D films in their 3D screens with similarly dismal results. I complained to the manager about it and he admitted that they don’t change the 3D lens for 2D films. He said it technically isn’t required and the light readings meet the minimum standards required by the studio.

    This is what happens when you get rid of projectionists.


Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.