Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velvet Revolver and Audioslave are obsolete dinosaurs.

Options
  • 13-02-2006 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Having been a fan of RATM and Guns N' Roses I found it difficult to accept this fact but it seems painfullly obvious to me at this stage, they're just mediocre husks of the bands they used to be.To me it seems like these guys are just massaging each others ego's and churning out the same dull crap because they know people will listen to them because of their respective histories.They have no passion anymore;Tom Morello sounds like a guitarist trying to sound like Tom Morello and playing the same bloody riff over and over,
    the same could be said about Slash and as for Scott Wieland and Chriss Cornell, well I'm surprised their able to sing at all with their heads stuck so far up their own arses.Someone needs to stand up and say the emporer is bollock naked:they suck, plain and simple.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

velvet revolver are rubbish IMO but i've never been a gnr fan. but i do enjoy a lot of audioslaves stuff. audioslave will definitely be the ultimate "greatest hits" band, as each album seems to have a few great songs padded with absolute tripe (that's right, i used the word "tripe" referring to rock bands)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

velvet revolver are rubbish IMO but i've never been a gnr fan. but i do enjoy a lot of audioslaves stuff. audioslave will definitely be the ultimate "greatest hits" band, as each album seems to have a few great songs padded with absolute tripe (that's right, i used the word "tripe" referring to rock bands)

true true

is it just me are does every morrello solo sound like 'thank christ hes shut up now i can play', just this weird vibe i get off them

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hitch-Hiker

I don'y like VR at all, although I never could stand Scott Weiland in the first place anyway.

I have to disagree about Audioslave though. Cornell's voice is still powerful and never fails to send shivers down my back. His songwriting remains as good as ever too. I loved the first album - only two songs I didn't like. The new album I didn't think much of at first but it has really grown on me. I think it's stronger than their first, and having seen them twice I can safely say they're a great live band. Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk drive the rythym just as well as they always did. Morello I concede hs lost something. It seems like he tries to pack his effects into every solo whether he need too or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i disagree on both counts more so in favour of velvet revolver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Two decent, if unspectacular, bands who haven't lived up to the legacies of their previous bands tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Velvet Revolver are poo imo but I do love Audioslave.
    I think Chris has an amazing voice although I prefer his solo stuff.
    Out of Exile was a bit lacking tho.

I saw them at Brixton last June and they were fantastic but they were as boring as feck when I saw them years previous in the Point(then again the Point is a shyte venue)

This also used to happen with Soundgarden amazing one night and muck the next so I dunno if this is all down to Chris being in a good mood or not.

I do think that Dr.J has a point tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I disagree. I think velvet revolver are as good, if not better than post-appetite for destruction, Guns N Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

both are great bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think Audioslave's first album was brilliant. And while the second wasn't as good, there were still moments, many more than could be found on QOTSA's last album. I'm not going to comment about velvet revolver because I haven't listened to a full album and I believe in making an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Doctor J wrote:
    Two decent, if unspectacular, bands who haven't lived up to the legacies of their previous bands tbh.

Pretty much sums them up in a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Having been a fan of RATM and Guns N' Roses I found it difficult to accept this fact but it seems painfullly obvious to me at this stage, they're just mediocre husks of the bands they used to be.To me it seems like these guys are just massaging each others ego's and churning out the same dull crap because they know people will listen to them because of their respective histories.They have no passion anymore;Tom Morello sounds like a guitarist trying to sound like Tom Morello and playing the same bloody riff over and over,
    the same could be said about Slash and as for Scott Wieland and Chriss Cornell, well I'm surprised their able to sing at all with their heads stuck so far up their own arses.Someone needs to stand up and say the emporer is bollock naked:they suck, plain and simple.
    Finally someone who agrees with me although the first audioslave album was good IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Velver Revolver are better that GnR(After Appetite For Distruction)

Audioslave are good but nowhere near the level of RATM and the Second album was a bad one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Don't really have an opinion on VR but I'm like Audioslave a lot. Nothing like Soundgarden or RATM but a great band on their own right. Their first album IMO was good but lacking. their second album however was excellent with a superb range of songs. The one thing I will say about them is that they tend to release the weakest songs of each album as singles which doesn't do them any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Wickla in Blaa

RATM and GnR were 2 of my favourite groups while growing up but I can't get into either of these 2 groups.

Totally agree with Whiskeyjack!! Although my musical tastes have really really changed over the years. Both bands smack of What Dr Phil would probably make up on the spot as 'used to be's' syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

yeah i agree that both bands seem to be going through the motions and lack the hunger/passion that the original bands had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Being a massive RATM fan,Audioslave was a real disapointment,thanks almost completely to me despising Cornell's voice and his lyrics.

VR are not worth talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paulmartin

Velver Revolver are better that GnR(After Appetite For Distruction)

QUOTE]
    Not a chance. I like VR but the Use Your Illusions are two of the best rock albums ever made. The problem with VR is although there's some really good songs there's nothing spectacular like November Rain, 14 Years, Coma, Civil War, You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry, Locomotive, Estranged, etc. or going back further, Paradise City or Sweet Child.

Still VR are a good band in their own right and one of the best around right now, but nowhere close to a monster like GnR.

Audioslave are decent, but they sound real formulaic, it's just too predictable or something, I don't know, and Morello's solos (which sounded so amazing in a Rock-Rap group) sound out of place with their Classic Rock sound. Man Or Animal is a great song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hitch-Hiker

Nea wrote:
    Velvet Revolver are poo imo but I do love Audioslave.
    I think Chris has an amazing voice although I prefer his solo stuff.
    Out of Exile was a bit lacking tho.

I saw them at Brixton last June and they were fantastic but they were as boring as feck when I saw them years previous in the Point(then again the Point is a shyte venue)

This also used to happen with Soundgarden amazing one night and muck the next so I dunno if this is all down to Chris being in a good mood or not.

I do think that Dr.J has a point tho!
    You serious? The show in the Point was bloody amazing. Cornell was spot on all night and looked like he was having a great time too. It is true what you say about him being hot and cold though. I've heard this from a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Persoanlly i think VR are a great band! They were never gonna be as big as GNR, would hardly be possible. But slash and Duff dont want to be known as "ex-GNR" members. They want to dissasociate themselves with that by now. Another good band was Slashes Snakepit. some good stuff to listen to.

I also like Audioslave. Not huge into them but i like them. Stick on their albums every so often. But why did QOTSA get mentioned in here? That last album was great. SFTD was just a once off pure hard rock experience of an album. Done amazingly well. But the two before that are "weird" sounding. Great albums but not quite SFTD and not quite LTP! Everyone compares QOTSA albums with SFTD. Rated R was a better album IMO. Which reminds me, they might play over here in June! All happy now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Mushy wrote:
    Persoanlly i think VR are a great band! They were never gonna be as big as GNR, would hardly be possible. But slash and Duff dont want to be known as "ex-GNR" members. They want to dissasociate themselves with that by now. Another good band was Slashes Snakepit. some good stuff to listen to.

I also like Audioslave. Not huge into them but i like them. Stick on their albums every so often. But why did QOTSA get mentioned in here? That last album was great. SFTD was just a once off pure hard rock experience of an album. Done amazingly well. But the two before that are "weird" sounding. Great albums but not quite SFTD and not quite LTP! Everyone compares QOTSA albums with SFTD. Rated R was a better album IMO. Which reminds me, they might play over here in June! All happy now

Mabye he was just using qotsa as a modern rock comparison to the supergroups like audioslave and vr? Or mabye he was saying qotsa where a supergroup themselves? They have had members from some fairly big name bands in their ever changing line up: ( soundgarden, pearl jam, apc, kuss, foo fighters.)

bah, definitions aside, i enjoy all 3 groups (qotsa moreso :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'm a RATM fan but i love Audioslave aswell. They have two different styles of music so if you were a huge Rage fan then its understandable that you may not like Audioslave,especially seen as the vocals are very different (My girlfriend cant stand RATM but likes Audioslave,mainly because of the vocals)

I think both bands are excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

the new guns tracks that have surfaced are probably better than the velvet revolver songs but that said guns and revolver are two completely different bands musically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

not this old chesnut again.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I never ever thought members of soundgarden and especially R.A.T.M. would become so middle of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Dont agree with OP

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

s8n wrote: »
    Dont agree with OP
    Thank you very much that after 15 years you let us know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

s8n wrote: »
    Dont agree with OP

TS560x560~4043718.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Never mind Audioslave and Velvet Revolver - this thread is an obsolete dinosaur!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

Id say we'd all kill for a new rock band that's as good as Velvet Revolver or Audioslave in 2021..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Mecrab wrote: »
    Id say we'd all kill for a new rock band that's as good as Velvet Revolver or Audioslave in 2021..

will this ever happen again, its being a loooong time since i was excited by a new ablum released by a new up and coming band with their own sound.

Advertisement