Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

willabur wrote: »
    bit blown out of proportion this announcement.
    By the sounds of it he is not putting his hand in his pocket, more helping them out by dedicating some of his own time and expertise in relation to high performance environments

Its great to see but Feels a long way short of sponsorship

Yeah, it's not a full blown sponsorship, but I'd say he's putting his hand in his pocket alright, just doesn't want that to be the focus, is the way I'd personally read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Yeah, it's not a full blown sponsorship, but I'd say he's putting his hand in his pocket alright, just doesn't want that to be the focus, is the way I'd personally read it.

Id agree.

I have read mention of bursaries for 3rd level students, so he is definitely putting his hand in his pocket for that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Is there any particular reason that Lowry doesn't seem to play par 5s well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

bit blown out of proportion this announcement.
    By the sounds of it he is not putting his hand in his pocket, more helping them out by dedicating some of his own time and expertise in relation to high performance environments

Its great to see but Feels a long way short of sponsorship

I think that's a bit unfair....my own view would be that for anyone as well off as someone like shane, the easiest thing for them to do is throw a few quid at something and take all the plaudits that come with it...sure what's a couple of 100k or whatever to a multi millionaire golfer with years ahead of him in earning potential....when money is less of an issue, its the personal time and effort that's the harder option......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The then sinks a long putt for birdie on the par 5 :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Unfortunately two bogeys on the last two holes today. Also he birdied the first and then bogeyed the second. Those mistakes are ruining the good play and a chance of winning or a high finish almost every time he plays.

Unfortunately two bogeys on the last two holes today. Also he birdied the first and then bogeyed the second. Those mistakes are ruining the good play and a chance of winning or a high finish almost every time he plays.

He's definitely striking and playing well, but it's just a couple of loose holes here and there. The form is coming though and they always say they'd prefer to be working on cutting out errors than finding birdies.

He's very close to top form though I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dublin49

He's definitely striking and playing well, but it's just a couple of loose holes here and there. The form is coming though and they always say they'd prefer to be working on cutting out errors than finding birdies.

could easily miss cut today from level so needs to cut out the water shots.Why go for the green in round one on par 5 with water in play when you have his short game ,seems needlessly risky.His Par 5s play can be his undoing .

Two bogeys on the first two holes today, that's four in a row, unfortunately not close to top form.

Good to see he's got back to level par after seven.

• Advertisement

missed 9 footer on 12 for birdie and 6 footer on 13 for par.need to be making one of them.Right on the cut so needs to par home although the cut may move out to +1 or +2 as sees to be playing tough today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Trampas

7 on par 5 might mean his race is cooked. Needs 1 maybe 2 birds on last 2 holes to make it to the weekend

Trampas wrote: »
    7 on par 5 might mean his race is cooked. Needs 1 maybe 2 birds on last 2 holes to make it to the weekend

Misses 3 putts under 10 feet in row and then makes a horlicks of par 5 , for double , not looking good

Really messing up on par 5's.

might still scrap in as was 91st an hour ago and now up to 75th.unlikely but ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

dublin49 wrote: »
    might still scrap in as was 91st an hour ago and now up to 75th.unlikely but ...

68th now. Good chance.

tobsey wrote: »
    68th now. Good chance.

95% chance of +2 being the cut according to a live statistical model, so almost certain he'll make the weekend now.

It's a tough course that's playing its toughest at the moment.

Looks like he'll make it for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Looks like he'll make it for the weekend.
    Looks like he won't, cut gone to +1.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Looks like he won't, cut gone to +1.

think he will and if he does he will be only 8 back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Cut now certain to be +2, so Shane has made it on the mark. Hopefully a good weekend to come after that reprieve.

Lowry and DeChambeau out together at 13.10, good chance of being a feature group amongst the early starters you would imagine.

Lowry and DeChambeau out together at 13.10, good chance of being a feature group amongst the early starters you would imagine.

It is a feature group. I saw Bryson was on a plane home and got told to turn back you’ve got a slot for tomorrow. Shane will just have to ignore him and play his own game and not try and out drive him

Trampas wrote: »
    It is a feature group. I saw Bryson was on a plane home and got told to turn back you’ve got a slot for tomorrow. Shane will just have to ignore him and play his own game and not try and out drive him

Don't think he'll be trying to outdrive him anyway! Might even have the opposite effect and encourage him to work it around the old-fashioned way by laying up on the par 5s, like some here want him to do, and use his short game prowess to its maximum.

really lucky to get in ,a few birdies for tail enders at the end there and he was toast.Would like to think this will work mentally to his advantage and he needs to cut out the doubles ,get a few putts to drop ,and manage the pars 5's better and he can get a good finish here.

According to shottracker Shane has just outdriven Bryson on the par 5 10th with a 325 yard drive! :eek: :pac:

More importantly, however, Bryson is four shots better on the card through 9. Shane followed two birdies, that got him back to level for the day, with another untimely and costly double on 9.

Not his best day. I wonder on days like this does he wish he missed cut

According to shottracker Shane has just outdriven Bryson on the par 5 10th with a 325 yard drive! :eek: :pac:

More importantly, however, Bryson is four shots better on the card through 9. Shane followed two birdies, that got him back to level for the day, with another untimely and costly double on 9.

Unfortunately "untimely and costly" has been a big feature of his game too many times since he won the Open.

Unfortunately "untimely and costly" has been a big feature of his game too many times since he won the Open.

he is turning bogeys into doubles at the moment which is not good,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭boardise

Missed putts from 4, 4, 8 and 9 ft.
    Also, as I mentioned before, his bunker play is quite mediocre and needs definite sharpening up..

one thing is clear,his current form would not warrant a pick ,even from Haro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭boardise

Bit of a nothing tournament for SL. 4 goes and couldn't break par.
    Cold putter and 41% in sand saves. Much work to be done.

Don't know what it is with Shane, there have been almost zero highlights in his game since the Open.
    I wonder would a change of caddy help, the Bo Martin influence appears to have stalled.

Don't know what it is with Shane, there have been almost zero highlights in his game since the Open.
    I wonder would a change of caddy help, the Bo Martin influence appears to have stalled.

the wheels seem to come off after a bad hole ,which would suggest the caddie is not refocusing him after a bad hole.Not sure ,he appears to get down on himself very easily.

dublin49 wrote: »
    the wheels seem to come off after a bad hole ,which would suggest the caddie is not refocusing him after a bad hole.Not sure ,he appears to get down on himself very easily.

Speaking of focusing and the role of the caddie, interesting to see that Harry Diamond is getting credit for Rory's victory, particularly on the 18th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Anyone else feel that Kiawah is a course that is nicely suited to Lowry? Coastal, Winds etc
    Good driver. Good scrambling and playing brilliantly with the Irons.
    Putter? Not going great. But maybe he can find a stroke on these paspalum greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Anyone else feel that Kiawah is a course that is nicely suited to Lowry? Coastal, Winds etc
    Putter? Not going great. But maybe he can find a stroke on these paspalum greens.

I absolutely agree. A decent week with the putter and I could see a top 10, a good week with it and he could well win. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

he's not a particularly good driver off the ball

112th on tour for FIR, 70th in distance which is not a good combo

he is also not a good scrambler, he is 172nd on tour for scrambles.

46 strokes gained on approach - again not great

you are correct about his putter though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

You might get a ban for posting facts about Shane....be warned

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

gypsy79 wrote: »
    You might get a ban for posting facts about Shane....be warned
    Please don't. Thanks

• Advertisement

Next you'll be telling me he's not even a good golfer ;)

Good job the trophies and cheques are handed out for overall scores or Shane would be in trouble! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Next you'll be telling me he's not even a good golfer ;)

Good job the trophies and cheques are handed out for overall scores or Shane would be in trouble! :pac:

Remind me again, which trophies has Shane won this season, or last?

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Remind me again, which trophies has Shane won this season, or last?

Golf is difficult and winning even more so. Was watching one of the Tiger docs recently when someone said how golf was one of the few sports where you're losing the majority of the time, even the world number 1 loses more than he wins, which is pretty cool when you think about it.

Shane is top class professional golfer who now only plays in the biggest world events and they're incredibly hard to win but he's won arguably the biggest one less than two years ago alongside WGC and his national open as an amateur.

I'm sure if he stayed at home he could have picked up one of the Canary Classics and everyone would be happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Golf is difficult and winning even more so. Was watching one of the Tiger docs recently when someone said how golf was one of the few sports where you're losing the majority of the time, even the world number 1 loses more than he wins, which is pretty cool when you think about it.

Shane is top class professional golfer who now only plays in the biggest world events and they're incredibly hard to win but he's won arguably the biggest one less than two years ago alongside WGC and his national open as an amateur.

I'm sure if he stayed at home he could have picked up one of the Canary Classics and everyone would be happy?

My point is, the stats don't lie. Maybe there's a connection between him not winning/contending and his stats.

Pdoghue wrote: »
    My point is, the stats don't lie. Maybe there's a connection between him not winning/contending and his stats.

Fair enough, but after what's happened in the past year, I think it's fairer to assess where he is in his game after this season.

Scoring average is still the most important stat there is. Breaking down the game by stats is probably useful to the golfers themselves in gauging where their weaknesses are but I imagine they mostly already know that, although Shane would probably say his scrambling or chipping/pitching is a strength of his game, when scrambling and par 5 stats suggest it isn't.

But the individual stats are rather meaningless alone. The statistically best putter is hardly ever in the top 50 of the money list yet people reckon the PGA Tour is a putting contest at times. The most accurate driver probably struggles to be in the top 100.

Stroke average first, then maybe GIR, or now strokes gained tee to green, in order of importance and correlation with who actually wins the tournaments and cashes the cheques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

I think most people find Shane very likeable and root for him to do well every time he pegs it up. I just think that most people over estimate how good he actually is compared to fellow pros because he is irish. Fact of the matter is that he is 48th in the world ranking, over the last 2 years his average ranking is probably around 32. I would say while I really like him and I want him to do well, probably more than any other golfer... that there are 31 golfers better than him in the world. He is basically the kilkenny of gaelic football :)

I think most people find Shane very likeable and root for him to do well every time he pegs it up. I just think that most people over estimate how good he actually is compared to fellow pros because he is irish. Fact of the matter is that he is 48th in the world ranking, over the last 2 years his average ranking is probably around 32. I would say while I really like him and I want him to do well, probably more than any other golfer... that there are 31 golfers better than him in the world. He is basically the kilkenny of gaelic football :)

There are a lot more than 32 golfers in the world the last time I checked. Show some respect for a major champion, WGC winner as well as a winner of our national open as an amateur.

And lots of people like to rag on him because he has the temerity to be Irish and successful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

And lots of people like to rag on him because he has the temerity to be Irish and successful!

I don't think people rag on Shane much at all. Pointing out that his stats aren't very good isn't ragging on him. I agree with willabur that because he's so likeable, people over estimate how good he is. He's a very good golfer, who has done exceptionally well to win a major and a wgc but outside of that his winning record is hardly outstanding. Maybe it's because we've been spoilt in the last 20 years with top Irish golfers but Shane is certainly no Rory or Padraig and his winning record is also a long way behind Darren Clarke and Graeme McDowell. He has age on his side obviously. One thing about Shane is that he turns up in big events from time to time, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him win another major in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Its not true that people like to rag on him.....but the facts are he is a golfer capable of a big performance. Not one that can do it regularly

He is ranked 60th on points gained this year. His position is inflated by WGC events. He is someway off. In reality he is a 50-75 golfer in the world with capability throw in big win that cataputs him up ranking for 2 years while the points fall off

Harrington's career was probably more consistent at his best

• Advertisement
Advertisement