Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ah I see. I didn't cop that Algarve and the Giro overlapped

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ok so who is going to create the general Giro thread for a preview chat? Another volunteer for a velogames group needed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,106 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Why would him commentating for Algarve mean that he is not doing the Giro?

If they have live coverage of the full Giro stages I think the best scenario is when Kirby & Hatch take it in turns and do a few hours each.

Both Kirby & Hatch are annoying me a lot lately but I'm still putting that down to them commentating remotely and not being at the races.

Hatches pontificating needs to stop. He sucks the fun out of every turn, descent or sprint.

And he is forever repeating himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

mewso wrote: »
    Ok so who is going to create the general Giro thread for a preview chat? Another volunteer for a velogames group needed :)

Part 1 done ;)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058183811

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Paddigol

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Hatches pontificating needs to stop. He sucks the fun out of every turn, descent or sprint.

And he is forever repeating himself

That's it for me - they're both a bit on the annoying side (but then it's not the easiest sport to commentate on, so I'm very forgiving) but at least with CK there's a light heartedness that goes well with racing in the sun. With RH though, everything is sooooooo serious and the most amazing thing ever to happen. Throw in his OTT pronunciation of foreign names and the scene is ripe for a rant at the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I must be on outlier that I'd take Hatch any day of the week over CK. I don't mind Matt Stephens/ Adam "diamonds in the legs (as the belgians would say)" Blythe. José Been/ Backstedt was probably my favourite combo of the spring though.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I must be on outlier that I'd take Hatch any day of the week over CK. I don't mind Matt Stephens/ Adam "diamonds in the legs (as the belgians would say)" Blythe. José Been/ Backstedt was probably my favourite combo of the spring though.

I used be that way but since last year's high profile crashes and new safety rules he can't shut up.
    I know cycling has issues but there is no need to start wailing every time he sees a fan or a motorbike

20 km to go. Rui Costa has crashed.

Any thoughts on who will win the stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Macy0161 wrote: »

I was a Hatch fan up until last years Giro I think when Tao Geoghegan Hart become the best cyclist in the world and Arnaud Demare became the greatest sprinter of all time

Don’t mind Kirby as his worst crime is just to waffle. No real harm.

Blythe and the GCN boys are great. As is Jose Been

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    I was a Hatch fan up until last years Giro I think when Tao Geoghegan Hart become the best cyclist in the world and Arnaud Demare became the greatest sprinter of all time

I bet he wouldn't have been half as fawning in his praise if it was Hindley that Dennis was pulling up the road as he suddenly became the greatest mountain Dom ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Kirby can retire asap. He misses half the action because he's either waffling or laughing at his own jokes. Brian Smith does his best to put some shape on the commentary with Kirby but I swear I can feel his eye-rolling at some of Kirby's antics from here.

José Been and Magnus Backstedt are great, they know their stuff, have genuine insights into the racing and don't talk over each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I bet he wouldn't have been half as fawning in his praise if it was Hindley that Dennis was pulling up the road as he suddenly became the greatest mountain Dom ever

That title still belongs to George Hincapie- "The Eagle of Long Island"

Brilliant from Sam. Morkov came third; he probably would have come second if he hadn't have eased off before the finish.

Wow that was an incredible delivery from Morkov.

Saw the stat yesterday that same had won 6 of the 9 sprints he’s contested so far. So 7/10 now

Today was a cake walk for DQT. I’ve no idea what has happened Bora and Ackerman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ackerman looks well out of sorts this year and cannot be relied upon in terms of the TDF, Bora have a real issue with him.

It was such a dominant win for Sam, literally just disregarded everyone else and won the sprint as he liked.

dahat wrote: »
    Ackerman looks well out of sorts this year and cannot be relied upon in terms of the TDF, Bora have a real issue with him.

It was such a dominant win for Sam, literally just disregarded everyone else and won the sprint as he liked.

Should have backed Sam 2 years ago. Pascal Ackermann might be the best thing to happen to Irish cycling in 30 years

I didn't see the sprint but reading that Ackermann didn't even beat Morkov :eek:

It's amazing to see an Irish rider winning so consistently and being able to have such high expectations of him that he almost always delivers against.

I didn't see the sprint but reading that Ackermann didn't even beat Morkov :eek:

It's amazing to see an Irish rider winning so consistently and being able to have such high expectations of him that he almost always delivers against.

RTE R1 played the sprint commentary on the news tonight for a race as relatively small as Algarve.

If I was driving the car I would have crashed it

RTE R1 played the sprint commentary on the news tonight for a race as relatively small as Algarve.

If I was driving the car I would have crashed it

Was on the 6-1 news on tv too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was on the 6-1 news on tv too

Good to see but likely due to lack of other sports events on a friday

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I'm being selfish here, but crappy that he's becoming popular with Irish news outlets. Before,.you were pretty safe watching bulletins now, you have definitely have to avoid if you haven't seen it but recorded it.

On a different note, and it's probably a very silly question. Would the likes of van der Poel be seen in the TdF? I know Wout was there last year purely from remembering him and demoulin and the time trial.

Or would that be a totally different sport? (brain fart, can't think of the right word.)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Good to see but likely due to lack of other sports events on a friday

Its not the first ever Friday for RTE and they didnt have Friday coverage for Dan, Nico or pre green Sam for a race like Algarve before

deise08 wrote: »
    I'm being selfish here, but crappy that he's becoming popular with Irish news outlets. Before,.you were pretty safe watching bulletins now, you have definitely have to avoid if you haven't seen it but recorded it.

On a different note, and it's probably a very silly question. Would the likes of van der Poel be seen in the TdF? I know Wout was there last year purely from remembering him and demoulin and the time trial.

Or would that be a totally different sport? (brain fart, can't think of the right word.)

Van der Poel is due to ride the Tour this year for the first time. Van Aert will also be riding, though I'm not sure if it will be a similar support role to last year or if he'll have more freedom to target stages, green jersey etc.

dahat wrote: »

Just saw it now - that was incredibly easy. Seeing the others move onto Morkov's wheel after Sam opened his sprint said it all.

Just saw it now - that was incredibly easy. Seeing the others move onto Morkov's wheel after Sam opened his sprint said it all.

Mick is a bloody legend

MTB racing is live at the minute with MvDP and Pidcock involved

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/live/men-xco-albstadt-2021-uci-mountain-bike-world-cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

MTB racing is live at the minute with MvDP and Pidcock involved

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/live/men-xco-albstadt-2021-uci-mountain-bike-world-cup

Pidcock 5th
    MvDP 7th, I think.

Pidcock started from the 11th row of the grid. He had a great race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Algarve looks interesting as well, Bennett, Morkov, Ackermann, Van Poppel all in the break 3m 30s ahead of the peloton

It's not something I watch a lot of, but gives me an appreciation of the skill set them two have. I'd not have been at all confident riding parts of that course.

• Advertisement

Cracking finish to Algarve there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Local knowledge comes to the fore as the local lads in the Pro-Conti team mug Ineos and take the GC. Great finale!

Great ride by Sam today. Getting in the break, then dropping the others (including morkov) on the climbs, then when finally dropped himself, gunning it on the front of the peloton to try and bring it back for Asgreen.
    I wonder as he gets older would he transition into more of a roleur/classics rider, seems more able to get over bumps now than he did previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

retalivity wrote: »
    I wonder as he gets older would he transition into more of a roleur/classics rider, seems more able to get over bumps now than he did previously
    Might be a positive if the move back to a sagan less bora comes to pass!

Great news :)

Tom Dumoulin to return to racing at Tour de Suisse
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-dumoulin-to-return-to-racing-at-tour-de-suisse/

Couple of Irish lads in action at the Wallonie today (Ben Healy, Rory Townsend). On Eurosport player at 14:30.

Couple of Irish lads in action at the Wallonie today (Ben Healy, Rory Townsend). On Eurosport player at 14:30.

Archie Ryan was down to start the other day but don't see his name there now.

Archie Ryan was down to start the other day but don't see his name there now.

I did spot he was promoted the main team for the Vuelta a Andalucia on the 18th. Maybe thats why hes off the list.

• Advertisement

Townsend finished 20th. Picks up 3 UCI points. Healy ended up 18 seconds down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Absolutely cracking race at Tro Bro Leon again today. Deserved win for Conor Swift, though he nearly lost it on the line by celebrating too early.
    One of my favourite races - the narrow, twisting lanes make for great racing and give a fantastic impression of the speed of top level racing.

Absolutely cracking race at Tro Bro Leon again today. Deserved win for Conor Swift, though he nearly lost it on the line by celebrating too early.
    One of my favourite races - the narrow, twisting lanes make for great racing and give a fantastic impression of the speed of top level racing.

It's a race that many of us can relate to given some of the lanes they use. It's effectively Tour de Bohereen :D

Paris - Tours is another race with it's route through the vineyards in recent years thats been equally entertaining

It was tight from the photo at the end for sure and he was lucky to get away with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was tight from the photo at the end for sure and he was lucky to get away with it.

The pat on his back from his teammate while they are waiting for confirmation, a real, I hope for your sake you won, otherwise that will be a bit embarrassing. He had a cracking race and I was surprised at how close it was.

19 year old Archie Ryan is riding the Vuelta Andalucia that starts tomorrow with Jumbo Visma. He’s part of their development team but this is the main team (mix of pros and development riders). Eddie Dunbar is down for Ineos too

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/ruta-del-sol/2021/startlist

19 year old Archie Ryan is riding the Vuelta Andalucia that starts tomorrow with Jumbo Visma. He’s part of their development team but this is the main team (mix of pros and development riders). Eddie Dunbar is down for Ineos too

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/ruta-del-sol/2021/startlist
    The teams have been confirmed and Archie isn’t starting now

Eddie Dunbar and Ryan Mullen are though from an Irish POV

• Advertisement

Anyone know what happened Cavendish today at the Volta Andalucia? He finished on his own, 23mins behind 2nd last.

Not sure I heard him mentioned at all but I was in and out while the race was on. The group he was a full 23 minutes down on had Oliveira in it who crashed so if he was able to get back on and visit the doctors cars I'd suspect illness for Cav.

Nothing mentioned here either that I could see.

https://twitter.com/deceuninck_qst?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/en/news/4929/a-stage-for-the-puncheurs-in-spain

I tell you what though seeing the shots from the helicopter today has given me an appetite to visit that part of Spain again big time. I was there in my late teens and have fond memories of the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

retalivity wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened Cavendish today at the Volta Andalucia? He finished on his own, 23mins behind 2nd last.

I wouldn't call it that to anyone from Andalucia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I tell you what though seeing the shots from the helicopter today has given me an appetite to visit that part of Spain again big time. I was there in my late teens and have fond memories of the region.

Once you get away from the coast, the apartments and resorts and head inland that part of Spain is lovely. Though not much for cycling if you don't like hills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Great last climb on Vuelta a Andalucia today. Looked brutal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement