Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nomadland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It was a good movie but depressing. Hard to feel much sympathy for the main character as she wasn’t very likable.

Why could they not just give the Oscar to Soul? About time an animated film won it.

Soul whilst good is not Pixars best either . Wall-E or Up were the film's I would of hoped would break the barrier .

As I said earlier Another Round is a better film than most of the oscar best film Contenders this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭sporina

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just watched it and really liked it.

I do not understand the boring complaints or "nothing happens".

For me it's a film about society, relationships, human spirit and decisions. Not every film has to have action or fast moving plot.

I found it to be a nice, and often sad, human story, nicely told with a great performance from Frances Mc Dormand, but also by the other cast members and I was impressed by the non-actors.
    I also loved the cinematography and soundtrack.

era different strokes for different folks and all that..

yeah it really tugged at my heart strings.. and nice to see that what started out as a bleak situation for Fern, turned into one of hope and clarity..

and its a subject matter that affects everyone at one time or another throughout our lives..

I would love to see it on a big screen.. I hope its shown in Cinemas when they reopen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I don’t think Soul was even the best animated film of the year - Wolfwalkers was a far stronger film IMO, and Cartoon Saloon deserved that statue over Pixar.

There were lots of great films that barely got a look at the Oscars. Minari was my personal favourite of the best picture lot (yet to see Judas... or The Father). But I’m pleased for Nomadland - it’s actually not really the type of film that often gets a look in at the Oscars. Quiet, plot-light arthouse films rarely make the cut let alone win. Between this, Parasite and Moonlight IMO there’s been a pleasant shift in the type and variety of film that can manage to secure the top prize.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I watched Nomadland last night and I quite enjoyed it. It didn't bother me that there wasn't much of a traditional storyline. I imagine the realities of day to day life on the road in a van with basic amenities and distractions is sparse which I think is reflected in the movie. I thought there would be more of an anti-corporatism vibe from the movie before I saw it and while there was a hint of it, it didn't dominate the movie which I was glad about as it would have changed the tone of the movie.

The performances were solid and the cinematography was beautiful. I've spent a little bit of time in the desert in Arizona, Nevada and California and it is just stunning, the complete opposite of what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

For me Nomadland is really outstanding.

Though I've only just watched it, I know for me its a movie that will stay in my memory for a long time to come. Its compelling because - while its fiction, its also real. Its so interesting, and incredibly well produced.

Thinking back two movies it reminds of - though on the face of it are very different - are Waltz with Bashir and the French film Le Grand Voyage; because they bring you from the relaxed and escapist world of fiction into the real world and real people.

Each of those has a really pivotal scene where that leap is made - for me that scene where Swankie talks about her illness, and the things she has done in here life, was just incredible.

Obviously not for everyone. But historically, the oscars have been dominated by movies that I couldnt care less about it. I think its this great movie has been recognised.

• Advertisement

I watched Nomadland last night and I quite enjoyed it. It didn't bother me that there wasn't much of a traditional storyline. I imagine the realities of day to day life on the road in a van with basic amenities and distractions is sparse which I think is reflected in the movie. I thought there would be more of an anti-corporatism vibe from the movie before I saw it and while there was a hint of it, it didn't dominate the movie which I was glad about as it would have changed the tone of the movie.

The performances were solid and the cinematography was beautiful. I've spent a little bit of time in the desert in Arizona, Nevada and California and it is just stunning, the complete opposite of what I expected.

Yes, I thought it did this very well.

People were complaining that it didnt particularly comment negatively about the experience of working for Amazon.

The reality however is that when you are working those low end, migrant labour type jobs, then Amazon probably isnt particularly different to working in other low end, migrant labour type jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I wasn't ever motivated to watch Nomadland but with it being on Disney+ I put it on yesterday and I found it quite a nice film. It's beautifully shot with a really nice score. I saw one friend post on Twitter that everyone should see the film, but I had to disagree. As you can tell with the comments on this thread alone, it's not the type of film that general audiences would bond with.

I know nothing of the book it's adapted from, but this film lives and breathes like a good American novel. It's like a roadtrip movie, while not being your usual road trip movie. It takes time, has patience and beautifully demonstrates the kindness of others throughout, which is not seen a whole lot these days, at least not without some drama thrown into the mix. This lack of drama and tension is obviously why this film doesn't grab others, and I guess hadn't had me dying to watch it. I'm glad I did, because if I didn't watch it hot off the awards buzz then I may have let it pass me by over time.

I wasn't ever motivated to watch Nomadland but with it being on Disney+ I put it on yesterday and I found it quite a nice film. It's beautifully shot with a really nice score. I saw one friend post on Twitter that everyone should see the film, but I had to disagree. As you can tell with the comments on this thread alone, it's not the type of film that general audiences would bond with.

I know nothing of the book it's adapted from, but this film lives and breathes like a good American novel. It's like a roadtrip movie, while not being your usual road trip movie. It takes time, has patience and beautifully demonstrates the kindness of others throughout, which is not seen a whole lot these days, at least not without some drama thrown into the mix. This lack of drama and tension is obviously why this film doesn't grab others, and I guess hadn't had me dying to watch it. I'm glad I did, because if I didn't watch it hot off the awards buzz then I may have let it pass me by over time.

exactly - reminded me of The Grapes of Wrath.. which is obviously a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Nomadland – 8.5/10

38ef5886f6ee1ba1038b50a564643c78d9a41c97.gifv

Last year when only a select few critics had commented on this, I had heard nothing but the most glowing praise. Since it has been made available to a wider audience, user reviews have been completely different. Many commenting that it didn’t do anything for them and that it meanders aimlessly for the duration. Well for me that is the whole point and I’m surprised that more people have been unable to connect with it.

Nomadland is a film that sets out to shine a light on the lives of the American Nomad community, who are a generation of ‘travellers’ who were all victims of the Great Recession. As a mission statement, the obvious way to set about making this film would be to opt for a documentary format. Perhaps sending someone like Louis Theroux out to interview people and explore their stories. For Chloe Zhao to foresee that it would be better to cast an Oscar-winning Hollywood actor, as a fictional character, and put her as the focal point of the film is impressive. Perhaps even genius. What impresses me most is the fact that despite Fern’s story being fictional, it never detracts from those of the people she encounters. Not even when it is put up against one as real and affecting as Swankie’s.

She obviously has a very personal and human touch with her direction. It would be easy for the supporting cast of non-acting ‘real people’ to jar with McDormand’s established screen presence, but it always feels natural, and the inexperienced cast are at ease in front of the camera. It’s hard to imagine anyone other than Frances McDormand in the role. She has a weariness in her face that reflects those of the characters she meets.

This is real people, with real stories, set upon a backdrop of gorgeous landscapes (thanks to some top-class locations work). It has recently come to light that Zhao cut together a show reel of real location work to show to the higher ups at Disney in order to convince them that shooting on location is better than green screen. Nomadland uses its landscapes, scenery and silences to accentuate the emotion in the stories of the Nomads. It’s hard to see how Zhao will translate this approach into a Marvel film, but it certainly has me much more intrigued about The Eternals.

The ultra-realism of the acting reminded me a lot of Shane Meadows. Couple that with using Einaudi for the score suggests to me that Meadow’s may be one of Zhao’s major influences. All in all, I am incredibly surprised to see so many people unable to get anything form this. It is a top piece of work and very worthy the awards it has received, especially for direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It was a good movie but depressing. Hard to feel much sympathy for the main character as she wasn’t very likable.

Why could they not just give the Oscar to Soul? About time an animated film won it.

I wouldn't agree she was an unlikable character but why would this be pre-requisite for a movie?

Why would you have to like or feel sympathy for a character in order to like the story?
    You can have great stories about bad people or bad events.

• Advertisement

El Duda wrote: »
    Nomadland

The ultra-realism of the acting reminded me a lot of Shane Meadows. Couple that with using Einaudi for the score suggests to me that Meadow’s may be one of Zhao’s major influences. All in all, I am incredibly surprised to see so many people unable to get anything form this. It is a top piece of work and very worthy the awards it has received, especially for direction.

I've actually never seen a Shane Meadows so cant comment on that piece - however, regarding the ultra-realism - the director is interspersing actors (Francis McDormand, David Straitharn) with real people......so when Fern (Francis McDormand) is talking to Swankie, Francis McDormand is acting but Swankie is actually talking about her own life.

And the interesting thing, is that (for me) as good an actress as she is, its Swankie, its Derek, its John Wells who come out of these scenes as being more convincing......they almost appear to be the better actor, but actually the character they are playing is themselves.

And largely the way these scenes are constructed is that Fern is listening while the others are talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

it meanders aimlessly for the duration. Well for me that is the whole point and I’m surprised that more people have been unable to connect with it.

Exactly.

It's a film about wandering transients who meander through the country at that particular time in their lives.

The clue is in the feckin title.

Some people have never heard or read of the concept of "show, don't tell"

I watched it at the weekend and thought it was brilliant. Really liked it.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Exactly.

It's a film about wandering transients who meander through the country at that particular time in their lives.

The clue is in the feckin title.

For me, its was an inward journey as oppose to an actual one..

She was happy in life, with her hubby and living/working in Empire.. but then all of that was taken away from her.. lost her house, job and hubby and even her identity.. so not only was living in a van a means of shelter - she was also on a quest to find a new way of existing.. and she found that on the road - love and support within the nomad community.. she had the choice to settle with her sister or with the guy who fancied her (can't rem his name).. but she chose to stay on the road.. she had found healing in her journey.. and found a new way to live with an ease of mind.. as she said - she had spent too long remembering and not living.. but now she had found her way..

A beautiful work of art. Loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

sporina wrote: »
    For me, its was an inward journey as oppose to an actual one..

She was happy in life, with her hubby and living/working in Empire.. but then all of that was taken away from her.. lost her house, job and hubby and even her identity.. so not only was living in a van a means of shelter - she was also on a quest to find a new way of existing.. and she found that on the road - love and support within the nomad community.. she had the choice to settle with her sister or with the guy who fancied her (can't rem his name).. but she chose to stay on the road.. she had found healing in her journey.. and found a new way to live with an ease of mind.. as she said - she had spent too long remembering and not living.. but now she had found her way..

A beautiful work of art. Loved it!

You've sold it to me. Going to give it a watch at the weekend.
    I can recently relate to the bit in bold (substitute wife for hubby). :(:(
    So it might strike a chord.

You've sold it to me. Going to give it a watch at the weekend.
    I can recently relate to the bit in bold (substitute wife for hubby). :(:(
    So it might strike a chord.

oh I am sorry for your loss... it might be tough for you to watch but could be cathartic too - big virtual hug..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'm in two minds on this one I have to say.

It isn't your typical film with a beginning, middle, and end. Meanders as others have said. This means that there are some scenes that don't contribute to a plot, but do add insight and colour into the life on the road. So I can understand it not being to everyone's taste.

Interesting choice to use real nomads and it does work. They don't seem out of place, but then again they more or less just have to be themselves and tell their own story at times. I have seen comments that this does seem at odds with a wealthy actress appearing alongside them and telling a fictionalised story. Does it take away from the real situations that people have found themselves in (particularly if you're unaware that the co-stars are telling their true stories)?

The line very early on about Amazon paying really well seems odd and I wonder if it was necessary in order to use the filming location. It also flits past some of the struggles that nomads really have to deal with - like getting ill when living in America with limited means. Dave was sick, in hospital, fine again and nothing about paying for said healthcare...We got more struggle when Fern had to pay for car repairs.

I read a little from the author after watching the film and it sounds like the book is more critical of the state of America and corporations like Amazon. There are some backstories of tragedy and being forced into travelling as a nomad whereas the film makes it seem more liberating and a choice (an Into the Wild vibe). But there are many reasons why people are in this lifestyle, I suppose and it does paint a good picture of community and making the best of things.

It's certainly an interesting film! Beautifully shot too.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

The ultra-realism of the acting reminded me a lot of Shane Meadows. Couple that with using Einaudi for the score suggests to me that Meadow’s may be one of Zhao’s major influences.

While being no expert on movies, i did make this alignment myself. The pace and intimate camera closeness to the camera in the vans etc was also similar.

I enjoyed this movie, a good simple story, well told, nice shots and a good score to match. As someone else mentioned here, it could have been alot more blatant and obvious with its themes, but I prefer to just have something like this that shows enough and you can think about it yourself if you choose.

gucci wrote: »
    While being no expert on movies, i did make this alignment myself. The pace and intimate camera closeness to the camera in the vans etc was also similar.

I enjoyed this movie, a good simple story, well told, nice shots and a good score to match. As someone else mentioned here, it could have been alot more blatant and obvious with its themes, but I prefer to just have something like this that shows enough and you can think about it yourself if you choose.

absolutely - and McDormand was perfect in lending to that.. her expressions and demeanor said so much - it didn't need to be heavily scripted with her in it.. wonderful..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Watched in on the big screen (not in Ireland) and loved the photography, soundtrack, how Frances McDormand gelled with the real elderly nomads/non professional actors.
    The solo journey aspect reminded me a little bit of Wild with Reese Witherspoon.
    Fair play for showing the social/economic aspect, which is very different from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watch this today. It was ok, good acting, spectacular scenery, lovely music. But I don’t understand how this film won awards. If I compare it to a film with similar themes from over 10 years ago, ‘Into the Wild’. For me itw is by far better film, Emile Hirsch gives a better acting performance than McDormand, the supporting role of Holbrook is better than the support in this although they were good. Yet itw doesn’t win any awards, Hirsch wasn’t even nominated for Oscar wtf?? And this film wins loads. Year before Parasite was a truly great and original winner, this Nomadland was just a bit meh.

i couldn't even finish Into the wild.. found it so pretentious - but Lovvvvved Nomadland.. just shows - horses for courses..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

There wasn’t much of a story to nomadland. Big business collapses in US town and woman loses her job, takes to the road in her RV, actually doesn’t go very far, meets a lot of like minded people (because she mostly goes to nomad/traveller) settlements and festivals, and has deep and meaningful conversations with them.

I thought there was so much more to ‘into the wild’. Young relatively rich kid turns his back on material wealth, goes on adventures across America, meets many diverse people who mostly look to help him, then goes on his ultimate survival adventure and tragically doesn’t make it back, but realises when it’s too late that true happiness comes from relationships with people and family rather than selfish adventures. I thought it was a great movie with a fantastic central performance from EH, and a brilliant support from HH.

Advertisement