Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2021

Options
  • 24-02-2021 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I saw that entries from the 2020 Dublin Marathon are being rolled forward to 2021.

Will there be any additional spots being allocated for this year or is it unlikely. Just I missed out on entry last time and was rather keen to get a spot this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Consonata wrote: »
    I saw that entries from the 2020 Dublin Marathon are being rolled forward to 2021.

Will there be any additional spots being allocated for this year or is it unlikely. Just I missed out on entry last time and was rather keen to get a spot this time.

Its very unlikely it will take place this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Consonata wrote: »

I'd say you are looking at a late ballot place for 2022 if there happens to be leftover places or cancellations.
    2021 not looking likely now so there will be a rollover of those entries to 2022.

Next public ballot will be 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'd say you are looking at a late ballot place for 2022 if there happens to be leftover places or cancellations.
    2021 not looking likely now so there will be a rollover of those entries to 2022.

Next public ballot will be 2023.

With the amount of over sea marathons now in autumn, spaces will come available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

With the amount of over sea marathons now in autumn, spaces will come available.

Plus they gave the option of a refund to people in 2020 so they have some tickets for resale from that

1. Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

https://youtu.be/fFxrAUAAubI

Some may find this helpful.....

2. Advertisement
    3. Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

https://youtu.be/fFxrAUAAubI

Some may find this helpful.....

Deadly video for DCM novices.

4. Registered Users Posts: 16 daz23

ultrapercy wrote: »
      Its very unlikely it will take place this year.

Why the pessimism towards the marathon going ahead this year. If the governments plan is to have 80% of adults get dose by June then we should be in a good place by the end of October cases should reduce in the summer and with the majority of the adult population are vaccinated I can't see a reason for it not going ahead.

5. Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

daz23 wrote: »
        Why the pessimism towards the marathon going ahead this year. If the governments plan is to have 80% of adults get dose by June then we should be in a good place by the end of October cases should reduce in the summer and with the majority of the adult population are vaccinated I can't see a reason for it not going ahead.

because the organisers would need to know with certainty, very soon, that it will go ahead. The language from government gives no such encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

there are major marathons being planned all over Europe for Sept & Oct - London plan on 50,000 runners. Why would Dublin be any different to the rest of Europe ? Current projections look to have everyone vaccinated well before the race.

6run28 wrote: »
        there are major marathons being planned all over Europe for Sept & Oct - London plan on 50,000 runners. Why would Dublin be any different to the rest of Europe ? Current projections look to have everyone vaccinated well before the race.

Dublin is different to london in almoat every way imaginable. Budget, sponsorship and full time staff to name a few. I doubt London will go ahead in the 50k format but the UK plan is a help at present Ireland has no mapped out route to freedom so Dublin will not hapoen.

• Advertisement

The vacination rollout plan is pretty clear - 60% will be fully vaccinated by end of June and all adults by end September. Marathons of a similar size are being organised across the EU. Hopefully they don't rush to cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

If 80% of the Irish population is vaccinated by June, I'll personally pay for you to do the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

With new mutations and variants cropping up seriously doubt Public Health will allow mass events regardless of how many are vaccinated. The Brazilian P1 Variant (6 cases)has the UK authorities in a spin trying to locate/identify/capture the 6th person.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

The government saying non essential travel is literally off this year but expecting 20,000 + to squeeze into Merrion Sq is fine. I'd seriously doubt it.

Maybe they could go for Spring next year

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daz23

API wrote: »
        If 80% of the Irish population is vaccinated by June, I'll personally pay for you to do the marathon.
        :D We can only live in hope, the way it's going I doubt they'll meet this target, but allowing them until Aug/Sept to meet that target we should have the critical mass vaccinated for DCM at the end of October.
        ger664 wrote: »
        With new mutations and variants cropping up seriously doubt Public Health will allow mass events regardless of how many are vaccinated. The Brazilian P1 Variant (6 cases)has the UK authorities in a spin trying to locate/identify/capture the 6th person.
        SeeMoreBut wrote: »
        The government saying non essential travel is literally off this year but expecting 20,000 + to squeeze into Merrion Sq is fine. I'd seriously doubt it.

Maybe they could go for Spring next year
        I accept that the public health advice will always advise against public gatherings as this is the safest way to prevent spread of disease. But at some point we are going to have to return to normality. If we follow a similar pattern to last year, when in June we were down to single figure cases per day, if we see the same again this year, and we have a proper track and trace system in place we can track and isolate outbreaks quicker, plus with the addition of the vaccine we can control and suppress any outbreaks going forward.

The big issue is with mutations and trying to prevent them from getting into the country and that's why mandatory hotel quarantine on arrival to prevent any new mutations from entering. This might mean the organisers will need to allow deferrals for oversea's runners but that's hopefully something that can be figured out.

I can't see why we can't manage 20,000 in merrion square New Zealand managed to have 30,000 in a stadium for a rugby match last October and even more interestedly managed to have 14,000 people compete in the Aukland marathon in November, so it proves that it can be done.

Dublin is different to london in almoat every way imaginable. Budget, sponsorship and full time staff to name a few. I doubt London will go ahead in the 50k format but the UK plan is a help at present Ireland has no mapped out route to freedom so Dublin will not hapoen.
        I think this is the major difference between the two. the Uk have published their roadmap for a return to normal, while we are still in the dark, which makes it almost impossible to plan anything at the moment.

Dublin was cancelled May 19th last year, it's fair to say if the government don't release any sort of plan when the current lockdown is due to be reviewed in April than you can almost guarantee there will be no marathon. If they somehow manage to get their act together and come up with any sort of plan on how they plan to control covid, then the DCM team have something to work off, and maybe we can have some hope of it going ahead(I have just realised that any hope of the marathon going ahead depends on the current government getting their act together:(:()

Listen I know a lot this is way off topic, but we have little else to talk about until we know if we have the go ahead or not, hopefully soon we will be back talking about training plans for the marathon training gear, and I'll even take talk of injuries and niggles we are all suffering:D:D

:D We can only live in hope, the way it's going I doubt they'll meet this target, but allowing them until Aug/Sept to meet that target we should have the critical mass vaccinated for DCM at the end of October.

I accept that the public health advice will always advise against public gatherings as this is the safest way to prevent spread of disease. But at some point we are going to have to return to normality. If we follow a similar pattern to last year, when in June we were down to single figure cases per day, if we see the same again this year, and we have a proper track and trace system in place we can track and isolate outbreaks quicker, plus with the addition of the vaccine we can control and suppress any outbreaks going forward.

The big issue is with mutations and trying to prevent them from getting into the country and that's why mandatory hotel quarantine on arrival to prevent any new mutations from entering. This might mean the organisers will need to allow deferrals for oversea's runners but that's hopefully something that can be figured out.

I can't see why we can't manage 20,000 in merrion square New Zealand managed to have 30,000 in a stadium for a rugby match last October and even more interestedly managed to have 14,000 people compete in the Aukland marathon in November, so it proves that it can be done.

I think this is the major difference between the two. the Uk have published their roadmap for a return to normal, while we are still in the dark, which makes it almost impossible to plan anything at the moment.

Dublin was cancelled May 19th last year, it's fair to say if the government don't release any sort of plan when the current lockdown is due to be reviewed in April than you can almost guarantee there will be no marathon. If they somehow manage to get their act together and come up with any sort of plan on how they plan to control covid, then the DCM team have something to work off, and maybe we can have some hope of it going ahead(I have just realised that any hope of the marathon going ahead depends on the current government getting their act together:(:()

Listen I know a lot this is way off topic, but we have little else to talk about until we know if we have the go ahead or not, hopefully soon we will be back talking about training plans for the marathon training gear, and I'll even take talk of injuries and niggles we are all suffering:D:D

ok so you kew quite well, better than myself it appears, that Dublin Marathon had little chance of going ahead this year. You wanted to make a political point disguised as an athletics discussion. There are other pages on boards.ie for that and if you insist on bringing it up on here at least do it with honesty and a bit of backbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daz23

ok so you kew quite well, better than myself it appears, that Dublin Marathon had little chance of going ahead this year. You wanted to make a political point disguised as an athletics discussion. There are other pages on boards.ie for that and if you insist on bringing it up on here at least do it with honesty and a bit of backbone.

Quite the opposite in fact, I believe we have a great chance of having the marathon this year and the above post highlight's why I think it can happen, nothing political about it, and not everything is about taking political sides or point scoring even though you seem to see it that way, most people just want to return to races and I like to think that there is a great chance of that happening this year withe the vaccine rollout.

You said yourself the major difference between London and Dublin is a roadmap, and all joking aside I'm sure the government will be producing one for April and no doubt that the DCM will be in contact with the Dept of sport to get advanced sight of it, so I don't see why we can't have an event planned for October

As has already been said on this thread there are plenty of major marathons being planned for this Autumn and I see why Dublin should be any different.

You seem to have already made the decision in your head that it's not going ahead this year, while I for my sins still live in hope that it's going ahead.

It's not going to happen this year lads.
        The Govt strategy could be written on the back of a cigarette box.

DCM need to make a call by May when NPHET are still in control, Dr. Tony says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

6run28 wrote: »
        The vacination rollout plan is pretty clear - 60% will be fully vaccinated by end of June and all adults by end September. Marathons of a similar size are being organised across the EU. Hopefully they don't rush to cancel.

And the vaccination targets are being missed, and as already pointed out there is no plan when to reopen.

Zebra3 wrote: »
        And the vaccination targets are being missed, and as already pointed out there is no plan when to reopen.

It's only March. More & more vaccines are being approved. We are still well on course to have all adults vaccinated before October, likely earlier.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I'm still a little bit hopeful that this might go ahead. Not based on anything but optimism.

Manchester could be another option in October also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

Dcm can’t just decide last minute to have a go no go call. By the time they’d need to make decision it’ll be still all up in air and I guess they don’t have deep pockets to take hit if cancelled if they plan to go ahead and it’s called off.

Yeah they can't leave it to the last minute alright. It was May last year, probably something similar this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Would be very interesting to see if they consider the potential for moving this to the Spring. Would have to think they have an excellent chance to do this in March/April next year.

Foreign travel will still be somewhat limited by then so unlikely to to compete so much with other marathon events abroad. They would certainly sell it out would think. Obviously if it is safe to do so.

chris85 wrote: »
        Would be very interesting to see if they consider the potential for moving this to the Spring. Would have to think they have an excellent chance to do this in March/April next year.

Foreign travel will still be somewhat limited by then so unlikely to to compete so much with other marathon events abroad. They would certainly sell it out would think. Obviously if it is safe to do so.

Would make more sense to limit it to Irish entries and try to go ahead with it in Oct.
        Although saying that the UK entrants would have some cause for complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Two in one year would be a big ask of a committee of volunteers I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

They would certainly sell it out would think. Obviously if it is safe to do so.

It's already sold out I thought. They have our money from late 2019 for the 2020 one which got cancelled. Whenever they have it they can't really sell more tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Dudda wrote: »
        It's already sold out I thought. They have our money from late 2019 for the 2020 one which got cancelled. Whenever they have it they can't really sell more tickets.

Yup, I let my entry roll forward till the next one. As did anyone I know who got an entry. I can't see many tickets going on sale for the next iteration, whenever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

https://youtu.be/uVK8eziF9Zk

Part 2 of the Route....
        Some may find this helpful....

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

am still optimistic it will go ahead
        their social media says it is still planned for oct 24th etc

by oct we should be well out of this..

Advertisement