Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Good to see that they’re not rushing into cancelling - I’ll take a possibility of it going ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FinnC

I can see there being new start and finish lines this year, maybe the Phoenix Park?
    It’s very cramped where they have it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

FinnC wrote: »
    I can see there being new start and finish lines this year, maybe the Phoenix Park?

I’d probably prefer to be cramped outdoors versus on a Shuttle bus to the start line in phoenix park from the city centre. Difficult to avoid at least some level of crowding at a start line, no matter the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well the road for the start is twice as wide as any road in the phoenix park. Same for the run in to the finish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭event

I do not want DCM to take place if we cant have crowds on the street though. Thats what sets Dublin apart for me.

If the finish was in the park that would be crap imo

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daz23

event wrote: »
    I do not want DCM to take place if we cant have crowds on the street though. Thats what sets Dublin apart for me.

Can't see the park being used for the start anyway, the waves won't be spread out enough to get out any of the gates without serious congestion.

Might be a possibility to move it to St Stephen's green, would have more space and would have enough open road to stop congestion at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

event wrote: »

I don't think they could stop crowds around the course, even it they tried.
    The start/finish area though they began to restrict families waiting in the one place in 2019, it was often a huge pinch point after exiting the barriers up to then.

The logistics of having the start and finish in different areas would have had to be factored into the entry fee so I can't see it happening this year.
    Managing the baggage transfer would be huge, unless they went with a no baggage option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

If we do somehow hit the target of 80% of adults vaccinated by end of June why do we still need to worry about outdoor crowds at the end of October? Surely at that point the danger of illness is no more likely than flu?
    Either that or Pfizer, AZ etc. have been telling porkies.

If we do somehow hit the target of 80% of adults vaccinated by end of June why do we still need to worry about outdoor crowds at the end of October? Surely at that point the danger of illness is no more likely than flu?
    Either that or Pfizer, AZ etc. have been telling porkies.

We don't need to worry about outdoors really, we didn't at any time in the last 12 months.
    Those muppets in NPHET are so anti social they tried to stop people mixing both indoor and outdoor without seperating the two by the obvious difference in risk.

I would be concerned that come the Autumn that if Meehole is still in power NPHET would be dictating policy still and they won't go down without a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The risk of catching Covid OUTSIDE is almost non existence

One documented case in China of 2 men literally speaking into each others face for 45 minutes I believe.

Absolute mad gang of scientists running the country...beyond embarrassing.

MayoSalmon wrote: »

One documented case in China of 2 men literally speaking into each others face for 45 minutes I believe.

Tell that to the woman who dramatically backed herself up to a wall and covered her mouth with her hand as I ran past her this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The type of congregation that occurs at start and finish of a mass participation event like a marathon is a definite risk of spread. Every European country is in much the same boat in regard to large or medium scale events, Irelands scientists are no different in their approach than those in most countries. Some Childrens and adult outdoor activites should resume now though as they can be managed safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

ultrapercy wrote: »
    The type of congregation that occurs at start and finish of a mass participation event like a marathon is a definite risk of spread. Every European country is in much the same boat in regard to large or medium scale events, Irelands scientists are no different in their approach than those in most countries. Some Childrens and adult outdoor activites should resume now though as they can be managed safely.

Rare to impossible pal....changes can be made to the start of the marathon regards waves. Outdoor activities are so low risk its almost pointless talking about them...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-10-coronavirus-rare-impossible.html

Rare to impossible pal....changes can be made to the start of the marathon regards waves. Outdoor activities are so low risk its almost pointless talking about them...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-10-coronavirus-rare-impossible.html
    there is nothing that will convince me that thousands of people packed together at the start of a race is not a risk, of course it is how could it not be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

there is nothing that will convince me that thousands of people packed together at the start of a race is not a risk, of course it is how could it not be?

My reading of the linked article would support this stance as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

There's also the large congregations of spectators all along the DCM route. which in my minimal experience, is what makes it such a great day. If there were no spectators/supporters, I'd probably just opt for a virtual or deferred entry.

py wrote: »
    There's also the large congregations of spectators all along the DCM route. which in my minimal experience, is what makes it such a great day. If there were no spectators/supporters, I'd probably just opt for a virtual or deferred entry.

I think that would be a big factor for many people. I'd probably run it regardless of spectators but it would be a very different ecperience.

Would be next to impossible to stop anyone watching the Dublin Marathon though surely?
    Maybe towards the finish line it would be possible by closing the road, but over the full 26.2 miles of the current course it would be impossible.

Would be next to impossible to stop anyone watching the Dublin Marathon though surely?
    Maybe towards the finish line it would be possible by closing the road, but over the full 26.2 miles of the current course it would be impossible.

Close Phoenix Park and run it in there. Pretty simple.
    Not the answer you want to hear of course

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

I don’t want to get my hopes up but I think it will definitely go ahead!😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Why close anything? We are all meant to be vaccinated by then. Zero covid won't happen, just like zero flu won't happen. Chances of infection outside, no matter if you're waiting in a starting area, when 90+% are vaccinated and close to 100% are in full health, is so remote it's not worth thinking about. And let's be realistic here, I've started DCM in waves 1, 2 and 3 and I've never felt like I'm packed in like a sardine.

Why close anything? We are all meant to be vaccinated by then. Zero covid won't happen, just like zero flu won't happen. Chances of infection outside, no matter if you're waiting in a starting area, when 90+% are vaccinated and close to 100% are in full health, is so remote it's not worth thinking about. And let's be realistic here, I've started DCM in waves 1, 2 and 3 and I've never felt like I'm packed in like a sardine.

If we all have the vaccine. let it rock

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Close Phoenix Park and run it in there. Pretty simple.
    Not the answer you want to hear of course

Phoenix Park as a start and finish point with only DCM accredited ppl and entrants allowed in on the day

Shutting down chunks of city centre isn't viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Why not? Except for last year, it’s been done every year since 1980.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Where do people park if you held it in the park?

How many do you allow run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭event

Phoenix Park as a start and finish point with only DCM accredited ppl and entrants allowed in on the day

If that was the case I'd pass. Would be pretty crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If we all have the vaccine. let it rock

Everyone will never be vaccinated.

Life needs to move on though.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Everyone will never be vaccinated.

Life needs to move on though.

Well the people who want it will hopefully have it. If people don't want to take, that's their choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well the people who want it will hopefully have it. If people don't want to take, that's their choice.

Yep, but that’s two different things.

Especially when you hear people talking about zero Covid.

Zero covid went out the door when borders were left open.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Zero covid is like talking about zero flu, it won't happen at this stage.

If you went back to Feb 2020 it could have happened but the door is wide open at this stage, for proper herd immunity with vaccines we're going to need between 80-85% of the population vaccinated.

I'd worry if Ireland can even manage that uptake due to the likes of conspiracy theorists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

It would be pretty similar to the Berlin Marathon then. It starts and finishes in the Tiergarten. That marathon still has a great atmosphere.

I'm not sure you would have to close down the entire park to non participants though. I'm sure they could fence off an area big enough for the start and finish (might be expensive to do though).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

PCX wrote: »
    It would be pretty similar to the Berlin Marathon then. It starts and finishes in the Tiergarten. That marathon still has a great atmosphere.

I'm not sure you would have to close down the entire park to non participants though. I'm sure they could fence off an area big enough for the start and finish (might be expensive to do though).

Fence off? You have these things called walls and gates. Just make it officials, medics etc and competitors only in park.

Can't be done in city centre as a lot of people live in city centre. Phoenix park only real option to do this way.

Ruh roh, time to look for a new sponsor.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/kbclooks-at-exiting-irish-market-with-potential-sale-of-loans-and-liabilities-to-bank-of-ireland-40319253.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=seeding

Potential sponsors:
    Elverys - of the options for retailers they seem the best as they still make some effort to promote athletics unlike Champion/JD, they don't really have a link with Dublin itself though so might not be happen

Larger Dublin HQ companies:
    An Post
    Three Ireland - have opening with no longer sponsoring FAI
    VHI - Parkrun sponsors
    Dalata hotel group - seeing they own a dozen hotels on the route

For the foodies:
    Abrakebabra Dublin Marathon?
    Apache Pizza Dublin Marathon?

zico10 wrote: »
    Why not? Except for last year, it’s been done every year since 1980.

When was the city shutdown ? It was never shutdown for the marathon, people always had access on foot etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

See new law signed in this morning that elite athletes won't have to do hotel quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The way the Irish government have been super strict and trying to achieve as low as possible figures, what are the real chances the Marathon will go ahead in the way that we know it?

I have my entry from 2020 but am not based here, I cant see them running the race "behind closed doors" and closing off the whole Pheonix park for example and if they did, that totally loses the appeal of especially the Dublin Marathon, no supporters!

I dont have much faith that the GOvt. will allow the race go ahead, as they would be scared of their lives of an outbreak, I hope I am wrong but I will be looking at races around that period within 3/4 hours of me i.e. Paris, Frankfurt or Munich as a back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

maybe no race series just marathon will be announcement???

• Advertisement

wpd wrote: »

They said registration details will be announced for the race series so there must be something going ahead, might turn out to be a virtual race series though.

wpd wrote: »

Pity but looks a certainty, could have been possible to limit it to entries from 2020 carried over and push first event back to Aug but it's easier say that when you don't have to submit thousands of orders for water/chips/bibs/supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'd say its a certainty that the race series will be virtual but hopefully they hold their nerve until the last moment regarding the marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I'd say its a certainty that the race series will be virtual but hopefully they hold their nerve until the last moment regarding the marathon.

I think they could do it with good comms - “we are planning for the marathon but we may need to cancel at short notice, if you are okay with this then take no action. If you do not want to be signed up for a marathon we can’t guarantee, apply for a refund/deferral by X”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I think they could do it with good comms - “we are planning for the marathon but we may need to cancel at short notice, if you are okay with this then take no action. If you do not want to be signed up for a marathon we can’t guarantee, apply for a refund/deferral by X”

I've somewhat forgotten where we are with the marathon (I have my place held over from last year as far as I know) but is it not sold out already anyway and therefore they don't need to do anynthing for now either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

EC1000 wrote: »
    I've somewhat forgotten where we are with the marathon (I have my place held over from last year as far as I know) but is it not sold out already anyway and therefore they don't need to do anynthing for now either way?

If you had an entry for 2020 and didn't request a refund you should still have it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had a place for last year, not doing it this year. Will request a refund when I'm told they're available. There will be spots available then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

beertons wrote: »
    I had a place for last year, not doing it this year. Will request a refund when I'm told they're available. There will be spots available then.

Good to see you still at it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good to see you still at it.

I had a dream of bettering my dnf, in my 40th year. I was running, with the kids on the bikes.

They got too fast, I had to get a bike too.

No word on entries from the 2020 race series.
    Will they be refunded or carried over to 2022?

E0kj6SIX0AQD1iT?format=jpg

Any mention of those who paid for last years race series that never happened does it carry over for another year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement