Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I don't.

What's their grievance? They can't make a living selling beef?

My point was , take ther greviance to whover it is with and protest to them, NOT innocent citizens going about ther day to day business, trying to make ends meet for themselves - due to the disruption last night I have little interest now in ther cause, justified or Not , and see it as a form of bullying mainly on innocent Dublin people., if I behaved so I would be clamped and arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I and many in rural irl are against a lot of those yes. I don’t deny it. Rural Ireland is very much being left behind on these issues.

No more I say.

Various politicians walk by and pretend they don’t see rural Ireland’s problems and concerns

Fine. Take the protest right up into their faces and see them deal with that.

Will elicit no sympathy doing it this way. A lot of pissed off people today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I never thought I'd say it but these morons are a great example of why we should start considering vegetarianism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

But just for Dublin. Sure will buy everything when down home the weekend before xmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ELM327 wrote: »
    I am against most of those things too.
    Not relevant to a bunch of morons in their subsidized toys blocking real workers

When you mix up all your issues you're likely to get none of them resolved. Can't forget Irexit and the National Party too from the list above.

It just comes across as all Howard Beale, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore". No solutions.

One of their demands is reform of Teagasc and Bord bia. No ideas on what the reform should look like of course.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

conorhal wrote: »
    They're demanding that the state artificially raise prices for beef?

If there's no cartel, then that's what they're doing, yes. Should everyone who isn't happy about the price they're getting for their products start insisting that the state intervene and force buyers to pay more?
    conorhal wrote: »
    Do you even know what you're talking about? You sir are the primary beneficiary of subsidies and predatory supermarket practices. If you had to pay the actual cost of producing the steak on your plate you'd choke on it! The only thing artificial about the price of the meat on your plate is in fact how low it is.

Do you? Because you seem to be assuming that consumers are ignorant about supermarkets and food prices.

I and many in rural irl are against a lot of those yes. I don’t deny it. Rural Ireland is very much being left behind on these issues.

No more I say.

Various politicians walk by and pretend they don’t see rural Ireland’s problems and concerns

Fine. Take the protest right up into their faces and see them deal with that.

whats your proposed solution to these issues bar "i wish someone would pay enough to return us to 2006"

the type of fella up at these protests are the same fella that would hate to see a gang of office jobs turn up in his constituency, clogging up roads, voting anyone but FF/SF and not turning up at mass or the GAA and turning the whole parish quaaaaare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Farming is a business and just like any other business it has risks. Some farmers believe it should be risk-fee.

Did HMV, Golden Disks etc, get bailed out when online streaming came along? NO

Did horsebreeders get bailed out when the car came along as a form of transport? NO

Did cornershops get bailed out when LIDL came along? NO

Why should farmers get special treatment?

Upskill/change industry like everybody else has to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Will throw a bit of a grenade in here, why do the primary producers (beef farmers) deserve more of the pie?

Irish cattle don't walk out of the field and jump up on German / British / Japanese plates as steak of their own violition.

They have to be processed in expensive high-spec processing facilities in a labour intensive manner (these people need to be paid as well), to sometimes very particular specifications. They are then fed into a complex supply chain that needs to be managed, and relationships with importers need to be managed and sustained constantly in a very competitive and price-sensitive global market.

In the value chain, where exactly are the beef farmers realistically? I have relatives in this game, and to be honest they spend most of their days, most of the year, staring out a window with a cup of tae in-hand watching cattle graze. You'd swear they were breaking rocks from sun-up to sun-down they way they go on.

And for what it's worth, I appreciate the job primary producers do. But, in terms of beef farmers, there are tougher jobs out there that don't haven't had the political ear of governments throughout the decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://crowefarm.ie/

This is a great example of diversification outdoor reared pork and turkeys delivered and a farm shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

tjhook wrote: »
    I doubt many people in Dublin would have been against farmers getting a better deal from meat processors. But that doesn't seem to be enough to prevent the ordinary commuters from being targeted by the actions of these farmers.

I hope they enjoy the day out, but they're seriously deluded if they think it's going to gain them any support. I don't sympathise with people who are trying to make my life harder.

Put on the big boy trousers and realise the reason the protest is in central dublin is because...

That’s where the seat of govt is

It’s nothing to do with disrupting dubliners. That’s an unfortunate effect of the protest but rural Ireland is sick beyond belief of screaming from the rooftops and
    Nothing
    Nada
    zilch
    Happening. So, hence the protest

NoteAgent wrote: »
    Farming is a business and just like any other business it has risks. Some farmers believe it should be risk-fee.

Did horsebreeders get bailed out when the car came along as a form of transport? NO

many of us along the west coast remember how quickly the farming lobby sold the fishing industry up the swannee under CAP

little sympathy now for the "pay us directly, we can't make it pay ourselves" brigade complaining that only the bigger farmers are viable.

that's life. if you want the government to fund your hobby, take up painting and apply for an arts grant.

Put on the big boy trousers and realise the reason the protest is in central dublin is because...

It’s nothing to do with disrupting dubliners. That’s an unfortunate effect of the protest but rural Ireland is sick beyond belief of screaming from the rooftops and
    Nothing
    Nada
    zilch

What do you mean rural Ireland? Is everyone outside the m50 a beef farmer?

Nothing
    Nada
    zilch

That explains where it is. That doesn't explain the blockade of the city centre, which is all about disrupting Dublin commuters.

Rural Ireland is sick of what exactly? Sick of the massive tax transfers it gets from Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

What I would love to understand is why the price of farmland is so high when the return on it is supposedly so low. Why would so many people be competing to get into a business where they are making a loss.
    The second thing I would like to know is why farmers keep selling their co-ops. Many of the companies they complain about giving them a low price for milk or beef used to be owned by farmers but they sold them off through privatision.

Rural Ireland needs supports such as cycling infrastructure, opening up rights of way, establishing greenways and focusing development in villages to make them viable but many farmers actually oppose these measures. The voice of the smart, educated rural worker and farmer is being drowned out by these morons protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Just arrest them to f*ck! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

The funny thing is they will have the power to do it if acted on.
    Personally I think Minister Creeds home is where they should be parked.
    It might make him wake up and take his head out of his hole

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

mariaalice wrote: »
    Even someone with half a brain knowes that buying two ribeye steaks or striploins steaks for 5.29 in Alid or Lidl, means someone is loosing out somewere along the line.

Supermarkets can sell beef for these prices because there is an abundance of it. Asking consumers to pay more for the same steaks isn't going to reduce that abundance. And do you think people who're willing to eat cut price steaks will keep buying them if the price goes up? Anyone who pays that for steaks is motivated by price, not quality. They'll just buy less beef and more of another cheap foods instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just arrest them to f*ck! :mad:

Not a chance .most guards come from good rural stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Nothing
    Nada
    zilch

No it's not. It's about a certain business sector wanting more money. They just happen to be farmers. If this was a genuine 'rural' protest, it would be quite clear.

Someone have a quiet word in their ear, tell them they've made an absolute balls of their message. Tell them to head back home, organise themselves, come up with some sort of articulate agenda, and then come back with cross section rural representation in their ranks.

What we have now is pure gombeenism and is embarrassing to people who actually live in the country and can see beyond the end of their noses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

NoteAgent wrote: »

It’s not about a bail out , just fair price going forward
    A fair proportion of the product they sell !

At the moment the product is sold and least amount possible is paid to primary producer where the most cost is !

Nothing
    Nada
    zilch

I grew up in rural Ireland, and tbh, sometimes I scratch my head as to what 'rural Ireland' wants. It's the most pandered to political base in Ireland by a long way.

The fact is, if you elect to live on a hillside or in the middle of a field 5km from the nearest village, everything from your roads to electricity and the myriad of public services is more expensive to provide for. Nothing can change that fundamental.

There's no economy in heavily dispersed populations, you have to drive to it and your community. Rural Ireland chose this road. Governments are limited in what they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

AlanG wrote: »
    What I would love to understand is why the price of farmland is so high when the return on it is supposedly so low.

History I guess - land hunger / land greed is well embedded in the Irish psyche. You just can never have enough! And letting it go outside the family is a big no-no.

Robson99 wrote: »
    The funny thing is they will have the power to do it if acted on.
    Personally I think Minister Creeds home is where they should be parked.
    It might make him wake up and take his head out of his hole

By blocking every road around Dublin? Do you think locals would tolerate that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Baz it’s part of the price you pay for living in a capital city that is the seat of government - let’s be real about this.

Btw I’d be fine with the seat of govt being in the geographical center of the state. Somewhere around athlone

Would make a lot of sense.

Maybe rural Ireland’s voice would be heard louder before the sheer anger and frustrations overflow?

Ppl on this don’t seem to be clued into the sheer misery and desperation that is in rural Ireland.

Then the protests would centre there.

The disruption It’s not personal to you, honestly.
    I don't get this attitude at all. There are issues but "sheer misery and desperation" is a bit strong
    I live in as rural a county as you could get, peched up here in the north west but I wouldn't for the life of me swap this for living in Dublin.

Don't get me wrong I love Dublin, great place to visit, and if I had seriously good money I would like to live there.

However, on a fairly normal salary, I would take rural living any day.

People forget that Rural Ireland is not made up exclusively of farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Not a chance .most guards come from good rural stock.

Most f***ing 'dubs' come from good rural stock ffs!! Every second 'dub' I know has at least one parent from the 'country'.

At the moment the product is sold and least amount possible is paid to primary producer where the most cost is !

how do you think other groups go about changing this?

hows about that for a starting point?

clue- they dont drive to the government and start blocking streets

they make a case to the other parties involved and use their leverage to get a result

no leverage, no case? no result.

why you think the government should get involved- beyond a serious dose of entitlement to a lifestyle/job that doesnt pay- is what puzzles everyone else.

why you think it entitles you to block traffic is the kicker.

zero popular support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No harm

Softly softly has got the farmers and rural Ireland fcuk all

Sorry but there’s unreal anger out there.

It needs to be adequately addressed.

Anger about what exactly?
    Perhaps list the numerous problems that rural Ireland is angry about and a solution to each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

AlanG wrote: »
    What I would love to understand is why the price of farmland is so high when the return on it is supposedly so low. Why would so many people be competing to get into a business where they are making a loss.
    The second thing I would like to know is why farmers keep selling their co-ops. Many of the companies they complain about giving them a low price for milk or beef used to be owned by farmers but they sold them off through privatision.

Rural Ireland needs supports such as cycling infrastructure, opening up rights of way, establishing greenways and focusing development in villages to make them viable but many farmers actually oppose these measures. The voice of the smart, educated rural worker and farmer is being drowned out by these morons protesting.

Thats related to huge issues in Irish society change has become very rapid and a lot of rural Ireland could transition to agribusiness instead of farms even more so for samll farms, there is a lot of psychological trauma which is the caue of a lot of the anger. While rural farming life is often sentimentalised it did provide community, status and a sense of belonging for people and just maybe they don't want it repalced with being a tourist attraction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Ever since that movie The Field came out they all think they are the Bull McCabe. They seem to miss the point that Bull McCabe was a self-absorbed sociopathic murderer who was willing to destroy his entire family for 'his' field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I already have a lovely piece of roast beef in the freezer for Christmas.

I got it half price in Tesco, about two weeks ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Blocking traffic and holding peoples food at ransom wont give them public support nor will it make the government do anything.

This will end with farmaries wasting time and their crops and stock going to waste and no one coming out on top

Yeah, it's not like grass just grows out of the gro... oh, wait.

I'm being facetious, but to be serious for a moment - beef processing is labour intensive and processing facilities are capital intensive and very modern to satisfy stringent hygiene and safety standards demanded by buyers and international regulators. The beef needs be marketed, put into a complex supply chain and sent out across the world to land to the satisfaction of often picky end users. I don't believe for a second that primary production is the most expensive part of the process nor necessarily where the most value is added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tjhook

...the reason the protest is in central dublin is because...

It’s nothing to do with disrupting dubliners. That’s an unfortunate effect of the protest but rural Ireland is sick beyond belief of screaming from the rooftops

Ah ok so, I suppose it's just another unintended effect if 'no food or drink in Dublin' for Christmas if demands aren't met also affects ordinary people? Because only TDs eat and drink at Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 memyself33

How were they able to buy up the smaller guys? Hint: capitalism and the free market ;)

Anyway, if that's what the real issue is.....what's the proposed solution here? Artificially raise the price paid by the processors? Why not establish some sort of co-op to compete with the big boys instead of asking for subsidies and handouts?

There are so many barriers to entry and the established players are so dominant that it couldn't be considered a free market. The prices that are being paid to farmers reflect this reality and have for some time.

Perhaps the authorities should examine how this market operates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

thebaz wrote: »
    My point was , take ther greviance to whover it is with and protest to them, NOT innocent citizens going about ther day to day business, trying to make ends meet for themselves - due to the disruption last night I have little interest now in ther cause, justified or Not , and see it as a form of bullying mainly on innocent Dublin people., if I behaved so I would be clamped and arrested.

I agree with you.

But what i'm getting at is i can't see their point whatsoever - if you can't make money selling beef you need to do something else for a living, end of story. You have the right to do whatever the hell you want for a living (within reason) but you have no god given right to be well paid for it - that's just reality.

If there's no money in beef farming - do something else - what the fúck are these gombeens smoking that they think the rest of us should be obliged to subsidise their shítty life choices?

It's only farmers that behave this way - you never see plumbers demanding the state pay them to fit showers people don't want, or shopkeepers insisting they'll only sell fizz bags and they need to cost €500 each to break even - why is that?

Always the fúcking farmers - it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too dry, it's too wet, it's just right but nevertheless i want people forced to pay me double.

Enough is enough ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

By blocking every road around Dublin? Do you think locals would tolerate that?

Can they stop it ??

how do you think other groups go about changing this?

hows about that for a starting point?

clue- they dont drive to the government and start blocking streets

they make a case to the other parties involved and use their leverage to get a result

no leverage, no case? no result.

why you think the government should get involved- beyond a serious dose of entitlement to a lifestyle/job that doesnt pay- is what puzzles everyone else.

why you think it entitles you to block traffic is the kicker.

zero popular support.

I’m not 100 % for the protest , but what can they do u have no idea how abused farmers are by state agencies

• Advertisement

Can they stop it ??

^ the roscommon and cavan people havent gone away, you know

memyself33 wrote: »
    There are so many barriers to entry and the established players are so dominant that it couldn't be considered a free market. The prices that are being paid to farmers reflect this reality and have for some time.

Perhaps the authorities should examine how this market operates.

So, the solution is.....what? A minimum price to be paid to the farmers per kg of beef, which is passed onto the consumers and the big boys make even more money?

If I was a meat processor and I had the market by the balls (as is the implication here), and the farmers were out demanding that I be allowed charge more and that the public should expect to PAY more, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

It seems to me like the farmers are doing all their dirty work for them.

I’m not 100 % for the protest , but what can they do u have no idea how abused farmers are by state agencies

enlighten us all about what we "have no idea about"

tell us some form of "abuse" suffered by farmers at the hands of state agencies that amount to anything we wouldn't roll our eyes at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Nothing
    Nada
    zilch

Bollocks. If it was nothing to do with disrupting dubliners, then you would have left the tractors at home.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not like grass just grows out of the gro... oh, wait.

I'm being facetious, but to be serious for a moment - beef processing is labour intensive and processing facilities are capital intensive and very modern to satisfy stringent hygiene and safety standards demanded by buyers and international regulators. The beef needs be marketed, put into a complex supply chain and sent out across the world to land to the satisfaction of often picky end users. I don't believe for a second that primary production is the most expensive part of the process nor necessarily where the most value is added.

Ah stop 2 years work against animal processed in 15 mins !
    We have standards to meet as well , from breeding to medicine, hygiene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Can they stop it ??

Seeing as rural people are constantly on about how they ‘“live in a state of fear’ and need the Gardai to protect them from ‘Dublin based gangs’ and such. I’d love to see some of these morons try and shut down this city for Christmas. Remember they have to try and roll through the inner city that most of them aren’t even brave enough to drive into because ‘traffic is scary’

I’ve made a personal commitment, based on last night and today to not buy beef for at least the next two weeks for my family. The road runs two ways lads!

• Advertisement

I’ve made a personal commitment, based on last night and today to not buy beef for at least the next two weeks for my family. The road runs two ways lads!

Good on you, but their money is made abroad, 90% of beef and dairy is exported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,578 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

God bless you, you are right up there with the lad who protested by setting himself on fire.

enlighten us all about what we "have no idea about"

tell us some form of "abuse" suffered by farmers at the hands of state agencies that amount to anything we wouldn't roll our eyes at.

You wouldn't believe the very rough paper envelopes that they send the cheques in. An absolute hazard for papercuts.

AulWan wrote: »
    Bollocks. If it was nothing to do with disrupting dubliners, then you would have left the tractors at home.

and as rightly pointed out, we're not all "dubliners"

half of us are from the country, ffs

the group that they want to disrupt is "everyone else", like a pack a ****in toddlers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Boggles wrote: »
    God bless you, you are right up there with the lad who protested by setting himself on fire.

I fail to see any logic in that analogy but have at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement