Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are more people not killed on our Roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I dread getting behind cyclists on our narrow winding roads when it is impossible to pass them and they are moving side to side as they strive to keep going uphill.. There is nowhere to pull in..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've tried some on my bike, they're utterly pointless. They are far too small to see anything in them, and it's impossible to put them at an angle that will allow you to just glance at them and actually see the road behind you.

I'd rather cyclists actually kept looking behind before changing direction (as motorcyclists are obliged to do, too), not fix tiny mirrors and assume that because you see nothing in them means nothing's behind you. It would be a very dangerous false sense of security.

Would there be more than one type of mirror to test out before writing them off? I don't understand why anyone wouldn't at least trial something that may make their road use safer.
    All road users should perform a lifesaver before changing direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

amcalester wrote: »
    Drivers already pass helmet wearing cyclists closer then non-helmet wearing ones, the same could happen with mirrors.

Is that a fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ireland has made massive strides in road safety. Back in the 70s- up to late 90s there was consistently 500/600 killed every year on our roads and a sense of despair that we couldn’t bring it down much. The opening of the new motorway network and other road improvements had a massive impact as did the fall of drink driving and car safety advancements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

erica74 wrote: »
    Is that a fact?

Not in every case obviously but a University of Bath study did find that motorists give less space when overtaking to cyclists wearing helmets.

23% more vehicles passed with 1 meter when a helmet is worn than when not worn.

1 meter being the advised minimum space to leave when passing a cyclist.

Take from that what you will.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-helmets-attract-cars-to-cyclists/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

road_high wrote: »
    Ireland has made massive strides in road safety. Back in the 70s- up to late 90s there was consistently 500/600 killed every year on our roads and a sense of despair that we couldn’t bring it down much. The opening of the new motorway network and other road improvements had a massive impact as did the fall of drink driving and car safety advancements

Absolutely true, though let's not lose sight of the three to four deaths on the road every week. That's about 150 families each year with one or two empty seats at the dinner table this Christmas. And it is largely avoidable.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Yer humble drunken pedestrian staggering out in front of traffic is another beaut. I've always pitied the door driver who sends this person to their maker.

They spend the rest of their life asking themselves 'what if' and 'if only'
    Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I don't have statistics for you. I do know two people this happened to.

RSA published research in October showing that half of pedestrians killed had taken alcohol. It got a load of press coverage, with many jumping on the victim-blaming bandwagon. Unfortunately, other details of the research got less coverage - that half
    of culpable drivers failed to observe before the fatal pedestrian collision, and that quarter of culpable drivers were speeding.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2018/Road-Safety-Authority-research-reveals-older-pedestrians-at-greatest-risk/

Graces7 wrote: »
    I dread getting behind cyclists on our narrow winding roads when it is impossible to pass them and they are moving side to side as they strive to keep going uphill.. There is nowhere to pull in..

Are we focusing on road deaths here, or are we going to list every minor annoyance on the road? I often wonder why people single out cyclists in scenarios like this, and don't seem to worry so much about getting stuck behind tractors or tankers on narrow winding roads with no room to overtake. As a cyclist, I get stuck behind cars, vans and trucks all the time in the city, but I don't make a song and dance about it. I just wait for a safe opportunity to get past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

We must be doing something right.

Would there be more than one type of mirror to test out before writing them off? I don't understand why anyone wouldn't at least trial something that may make their road use safer.
    All road users should perform a lifesaver before changing direction.

Would you consider trialling a motoring helmet?

20876998038_ea400f3fcd_b.jpg

About half of all head injuries occur in vehicles, compared to about 2% on bikes, even with airbags and seatbelts etc. So motoring helmets have great potential to save lives and eliminate or reduce injuries. They've got to be worth a shot given that they should make road use safer, right?

The thing with anyone using our roads is that a lot of people just want to place blame "well, that driver should have been doing x or y", "that cyclist didn't do x or y" but blame and responsibility is irrelevant when you're injured or dead. Thinking "ah well, the other driver was at fault" won't mend your broken leg.
    If everyone paid attention, took less stupid risks and wasn't so selfish then the roads might be safer.

One comment I would make about cyclists and pedestrians is that they don't use mirrors when they are switching direction because they obviously don't have mirrors. You can't attach mirrors to pedestrians but I think mirrors on bicycles might be helpful and protect one of the more vulnerable groups on the road. If cyclists had mirrors it might make lane switching safer for them and other road users.

There is a serious danger in taking the 'everyone needs to be responsible' approach. While it is factually correct to say that everyone needs to be responsible, it is in danger of missing the point. 75% of road deaths are motorists killing other motorists and passengers. If we want to reduce road deaths, that is the best place to start. This article explains the dangers of false equivalence.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/views/1194-correcting-the-false-equivalencies-in-the-cars-vs-cyclists-debate

If we could wave a magic wand and fit a mirror to every bike tomorrow, the likely outcome on road deaths is zero change. At best, it might save one or two lives. By contrast, if we could wave a magic wand and fit a speed governor to every car/van/truck to keep them under the speed limit, we would probably cut our road deaths in half, something like 50-80 road deaths saved. That would be 50-80 families less going through Christmas without a loved one.

If we actually want to reduce road deaths, we need to focus on the drivers that are killing three or four people each week. Anything else is a distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Are we focusing on road deaths here, or are we going to list every minor annoyance on the road? I often wonder why people single out cyclists in scenarios like this, and don't seem to worry so much about getting stuck behind tractors or tankers on narrow winding roads with no room to overtake. As a cyclist, I get stuck behind cars, vans and trucks all the time in the city, but I don't make a song and dance about it. I just wait for a safe opportunity to get past.

You have some neck. You made the thread 'motorist v cyclist from the start. Like you usually do.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    You have some neck. You made the thread 'motorist v cyclist from the start. Like you usually do.:rolleyes:

Not at all - there was a long discussion about pedestrian issues you might have missed.

But regardless, it is motorists that kill in the case of 99% of road deaths. It's not me 'making' the discussion - that what the data shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Registration plates for bicycles should reduce it

It'd be worth it even if it's just one cyclists' life it saves

and a transponder :

https://www.raceresult.com/en/systems/passive.php

gctest50 wrote: »
    Registration plates for bicycles should reduce it
    It would certainly reduce numbers cycling, with the all the consequential impacts that would bring, like bigger traffic jams, reduced public health, jammed car parks and more.

Switzerland tried it and found it was a fairly pointless exercise, a solution looking for a problem, so they got rid of it.

What do you think it would reduce, and why/how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

The lack of patience on the roads is incredible. I was stopped at a red light earlier today in the left lane turning left. A straight only green arrow appeared for cars going straight while the red remained for cars turning left. The red remains for cars turning left as there are pedestrian lights around the corner.

The car behind me started beeping me like crazy. I looked in my mirror and a man and woman were literally screaming all kinds of abuse at me. I pointed to the red light but they just didn't seem to grasp it.

Eventually the full Green came on and I proceeded. So basically, I was beeped at and screamed at for following the rules of the road.

A learner probably would of panicked and just drove.

Are you sure your light was red?

It would certainly reduce numbers cycling, ....

Why would a registration plate reduce the numbers cycling ?

Why would a registration plate reduce the numbers cycling ?
    Because it is a barrier to cycling - it requires an administrative process and an associated cost.

One of the many advantages of cycling is the ease and simplicity of getting going on cycling. It is very easy for many people to get cycling. You just get a bike, which could cost €30 or €3,000 depending on what you need and can afford. You don't need special clothing, you don't need a reg plate, you don't need insurance - all for very good reasons, because the risks involved or minimal. So any barrier to getting people cycling will reduce numbers cycling.

What benefit would it bring, given the numbers of registered and insured drivers that we all see every day ignoring traffic laws?

Because it is a barrier to cycling - it requires an administrative process and an associated cost.

No it's not some huge barrier to cycling

eg. bicycles in Japan are registered :

When you purchase a new bicycle at our local bike store the salesperson will offer to register your bicycle for an additional :

500 yen ( 3.87 Euro) fee.

If you decide to register your bicycle at the time of purchase you will be asked to fill out a form with details including your name, phone number and address and details about the bicycle including maker and serial number etc. Finally you will have to present a valid form of ID.

Once done the shop assistant will place a bright yellow registration sticker on your new bicycle and you're ready to ride. Easy! They will also give you a receipt which you should hold on to for a while just in case you're stopped by police before your registration information has entered the police records.

Would you consider trialling a motoring helmet?

About half of all head injuries occur in vehicles, compared to about 2% on bikes, even with airbags and seatbelts etc. So motoring helmets have great potential to save lives and eliminate or reduce injuries. They've got to be worth a shot given that they should make road use safer, right?

There is a serious danger in taking the 'everyone needs to be responsible' approach. While it is factually correct to say that everyone needs to be responsible, it is in danger of missing the point. 75% of road deaths are motorists killing other motorists and passengers. If we want to reduce road deaths, that is the best place to start. This article explains the dangers of false equivalence.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/views/1194-correcting-the-false-equivalencies-in-the-cars-vs-cyclists-debate

If we could wave a magic wand and fit a mirror to every bike tomorrow, the likely outcome on road deaths is zero change. At best, it might save one or two lives. By contrast, if we could wave a magic wand and fit a speed governor to every car/van/truck to keep them under the speed limit, we would probably cut our road deaths in half, something like 50-80 road deaths saved. That would be 50-80 families less going through Christmas without a loved one.

If we actually want to reduce road deaths, we need to focus on the drivers that are killing three or four people each week. Anything else is a distraction.

If I jump into a shark tank the sharks are to blame if I am killed? EVERYONE needs to take personal responsibility. If cyclists were smart enough not to go on the inside of a truck there would be many fewer hurt. Example

No it's not some huge barrier to cycling

eg. bicycles in Japan are registered :

When you purchase a new bicycle at our local bike store the salesperson will offer to register your bicycle for an additional :

500 yen ( 3.87 Euro) fee.

If you decide to register your bicycle at the time of purchase you will be asked to fill out a form with details including your name, phone number and address and details about the bicycle including maker and serial number etc. Finally you will have to present a valid form of ID.

Once done the shop assistant will place a bright yellow registration sticker on your new bicycle and you're ready to ride. Easy! They will also give you a receipt which you should hold on to for a while just in case you're stopped by police before your registration information has entered the police records.

And what happens when I change address every couple of months, as many students do? And what happens when I pass the bike over to another family member, or a workmate for a while? And what happens if I actually sell the bike?

And more importantly (and for the second time), what benefit arises? What problem does this bureaucracy solve?

If I jump into a shark tank the sharks are to blame if I am killed? EVERYONE needs to take personal responsibility. If cyclists were smart enough not to go on the inside of a truck there would be many fewer hurt. Example

If you jump into a swimming pool and get killed by a shark, you might be inclined to blame whoever put the shark in there. Drivers need to not kill people - the basic minimum requirement to getting out on the road. Truck drivers/operators are responsible for their equipment, so if they're driving with blind spots, that is their problem to fix. They need to fit whatever extra mirrors or extra cameras or see-through doors or extra crew on watch - whatever it takes to make sure they don't kill or maim people who are rightfully and legally on the road with them.

Would you like to explain to Rose Hoey's family how she should have taken more responsibility?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/reverse-lights-broken-on-truck-which-killed-ranelagh-pedestrian-1.2567865

If you jump into a swimming pool and get killed by a shark, you might be inclined to blame whoever put the shark in there.

So you now think I said a shark was in a swimming pool so you could make ridicule?

You have such a narrow view. You think no person should be responsible for their action. Also, it is very poor form to use one persons tragedy to support your weird idea that the only responsibility is a motorists.
    Very poor form.

• Advertisement

And what happens when I change address every couple of months, as many students do?

And what happens if I actually sell the bike?

You know exactly what happens

What happens if it was a small moped you bought instead of a bicycle ?

What do students with mopeds do when they want to change address ?

What happens if it was a small moped you bought instead of a bicycle ?

What do students with mopeds do ?

They comply with the legal requirements for mopeds, which relate to the weight, speed and potential for harm of mopeds.

Now for the 3rd time, what benefit would arise from registration?

They comply with the legal requirements for mopeds, which relate to the weight, speed and potential for harm of mopeds

What has that to do with change of address ?

Do i need to spell everything out ?

Where is the problem with just a registration plate ?

.You could run a few "competitions" n stuff to get it going

Hand out free bicycle registrations and plates

Week later :

Get one of the radio stations out on the street to "spot a lucky registration "

Give the lucky winner an iPad or smth

.You could run a few "competitions" n stuff to get it going

Hand out free registrations and plates

Get one of the radio stations out on the street to "spot a lucky registration "

Give the lucky winner an iPad or smth

And for the fourth time - what benefit would arise from this layer of bureaucracy?

Or should I assume that if you can't spell out what actual benefits would arise, there are no benefits.

So you now think I said a shark was in a swimming pool so you could make ridicule?
    I know exactly what you said. I just used a slightly more relevant analogy.

The roads are not a shark tank. The roads are part of the community that we all use, with our families, our children, our parents and grandparents, our relatives with disabilities, including sight loss, hearing loss, intellectual disabilities.

Drivers just need to not kill and maim. It's a fairly low bar.

You have such a narrow view. You think no person should be responsible for their action. Also, it is very poor form to use one persons tragedy to support your weird idea that the only responsibility is a motorists.
    Very poor form.

Go back and read my posts and you'll see that's not what I said. I said that yes, everybody should take responsibility for their action. And those that are driving multi-tonne vehicles at speeds of 15-150 kmph have particular responsibility that arise from the size, weight and speed of those vehicles. Their responsibility is to NOT kill and maim people, even if those people don't follow the rules perfectly, like most humans do.

The only 'weird' thing in my posts is the suggestion that drivers should stop killing and maiming people on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

dudara wrote: »
    We’ve largely fixed the non-wearing of seat belts, we’ve largely fixed drunk driving, and excessive speeding isn’t too common either.

I had thought myself that people not wearing seatbelts was left back in the 1990s but the 2017 RSA stats say otherwise- one in five deaths in a car were due to no seat belt being worn. 20% is pretty high for a device that everyone knows can save your life. Whats worse was the 2015 stats said 30% of children killed in cars were not wearing belts.

Its an even bigger problem in the UK- over there 27% of deaths in cars are caused by people not putting their seat belt on. Mad stuff when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Roads Policing fatalities to date for 2018
    Traffic fatalities up to 9am on the 9th November 2018.

Pedestrians

Drivers

Passengers

Motorcyclists

Pedal Cyclists

Pillion Passengers /Other

Total Year To Date

There we have it. Cyclists are least likely to be killed on our roads. That should please our resident cyclists on here.

They comply with the legal requirements for mopeds, which relate to the weight, speed and potential for harm of mopeds.

weight, speed and potential for harm

Chalie Alliston was doing about

14mph

when he hit and killed Kim Briggs

uePVkQ9.jpg

• Advertisement

Chalie Alliston was doing about

14mph

when he hit and killed Kim Briggs

Will your little yellow sticker make this less likely to happen in Ireland, given that it hasn't happened in the last 15 years here?

Advertisement