Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are more people not killed on our Roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

I often think the same thing with some of the clowns on the road

The same clowns are usually the ones that cause an accident and walk away from it and some other poor sod gets the short end of the stick

Always expect the unexpected
    Case in point I came across cattle on dark backroads not far from home,was almost impossible to see them till the last 20ft,could have ended badly for somebody

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Case in point I came across cattle on dark backroads not far from home,was almost impossible to see them till the last 20ft,could have ended badly for somebody
    Oh I know
    They forgot to dress in hi-vis and put a torch on their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

93% of drivers believe they are above average

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

zell12 wrote: »
    Oh I know
    They forgot to dress in hi-vis and put a torch on their heads.

Your onto something there,high Viz for livestock,Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's a great example of why drivers need to drive in a manner that allows them to stop within the distance they can see to be clear.

Yes it states that but not much use to driver and pedestrian when they are walking correctly only then to change direction 10feet from a moving vehicle.

I've been there and unfortunately had the experience of knocking a person down and bad at that.

It was low speed, I had already reacted to her change in movement and sounded the horn but to no avail.
    She never once stopped or looked or reacted at all.

She was somehow able to be saved even though they thought that wasn't possible.

I will have to live with that due to her behavior.

What's this 'walking correctly' all about? People change their mind all the time, pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. You need to expect the unexpected. Your low speed was probably the factor that saved her life, which is why we need more lower speed limits and more enforcement.

Your onto something there,high Viz for livestock,Great idea
    You'd be amazed what people will come up with to push responsibility away from motorists onto their victims.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11758512/Cows-should-wear-fluorescent-jackets-and-strings-of-lights-at-night-council-says.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

i love how so many posters want to point the finger at the motorist. It is easy to find yourself in a position where you are completely in the right but still have an accident. many time I have driven around Dundalk and crossed over a zebra crossing, only to be forced to stop 5/10 feet later when some idiot walks out without looking right into the road.
    Now if I hit the said idiot then I am at fault, they get a (huge) claim and my insurance goes up. If I stop and the guy behind me hits me, then I have to go through the annoyance of claiming from him for my repairs. Meanwhile the idiot walks away to do it again the next time.
    If stop in time and the guy behind me stops in time then the idiot walks away and two drivers are left shaken or maybe just a little pissed off.

my point is that there is always idiots who will walk out on the road, and more idiots who will defend them by saying expect the unexpected.If every car driver were to travel at a slow speed and brake for every idiot who MAY walk out in front of them then no traffic would ever move far in this country.

how about a new solution? dash cams become mandatory, if a person walks out and there is time to avoid them, great. but if not, fk em, they pay for the repairs to car and no big payday for them. lets try that and see how many would be too lazy to cross safely then.

or perhaps leave things as they are, but allow mad max style rams on the front.....same effect.

soups05 wrote: »
    i love how so many posters want to point the finger at the motorist. It is easy to find yourself in a position where you are completely in the right but still have an accident. many time I have driven around Dundalk and crossed over a zebra crossing, only to be forced to stop 5/10 feet later when some idiot walks out without looking right into the road.
    Now if I hit the said idiot then I am at fault, they get a (huge) claim and my insurance goes up. If I stop and the guy behind me hits me, then I have to go through the annoyance of claiming from him for my repairs. Meanwhile the idiot walks away to do it again the next time.
    If stop in time and the guy behind me stops in time then the idiot walks away and two drivers are left shaken or maybe just a little pissed off.

my point is that there is always idiots who will walk out on the road, and more idiots who will defend them by saying expect the unexpected.If every car driver were to travel at a slow speed and brake for every idiot who MAY walk out in front of them then no traffic would ever move far in this country.

how about a new solution? dash cams become mandatory, if a person walks out and there is time to avoid them, great. but if not, fk em, they pay for the repairs to car and no big payday for them. lets try that and see how many would be too lazy to cross safely then.

or perhaps leave things as they are, but allow mad max style rams on the front.....same effect.
    It's not so much posters pointing fingers at motorists as data pointing fingers at motorists. 75% of road deaths are motorists killing other motorists and passengers. Or maybe they have seen the RSA Speed Survey shows that 82% of motorists break speed limits. Or maybe they have seen the Aviva pan-european survey showing that Irish motorists are 2nd from bottom of the league table for mobile phone abuse. So it's fairly easy to see where the root cause lies.

Yes, there will always be idiots who walk out on the road. And there will always be idiot cattle round the next bend. And there will always be idiots who already crashed their car round the next bend. And there will always be idiot cyclists getting blown round by the wind or hitting large potholes.

That's why you need to expect the unexpected, and meet your legal obligation to be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Every motorist is explicitly required by law to be able to stop within the distance they can see to be clear. Every motorists should be driving in a way that expects people to step out into traffic. They should be noting the presence, location and direction of those pedestrians. They should be noting the parked cars that the pedestrians may step out from.

There is a huge responsibility in taking a tonne or two of metal out on a public road at 20-150 kmph. If they'd just put the phones away, they would probably notice these things.

I can't see through things. I'm never on my phone. If I'm watching every pedestrian, I'm not watching the road and other vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I often think the same thing with some of the clowns on the road

The same clowns are usually the ones that cause an accident and walk away from it and some other poor sod gets the short end of the stick

The same happened me on an N road in darkness, the only way I spotted them in the distance is that they were Whitehead cattle if they were angus all black it would have taken longer to see them. The same night there was a motor bike behind me good job he was a steady biker and saw my warning lights unlike a lot of bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's a great example of why drivers need to drive in a manner that allows them to stop within the distance they can see to be clear.

What's this 'walking correctly' all about? People change their mind all the time, pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. You need to expect the unexpected. Your low speed was probably the factor that saved her life, which is why we need more lower speed limits and more enforcement.

You'd be amazed what people will come up with to push responsibility away from motorists onto their victims.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11758512/Cows-should-wear-fluorescent-jackets-and-strings-of-lights-at-night-council-says.html

Ok wow wasn't expecting a high horse wannabe....

I meant she was walking along the footpath, walking same direction I was traveling, there was a pedestrian lights which were green 15 feet or actually less from where she decided to change direction, head down, no distractions of a phone or ear phones and I done everything I could to avoid.

Even the person standing at the crossing couldn't believe it, as she was nearly hit by her when she went flying in the air.

I was reading the road and pedestrians also and had anticipated anyone crossing but not when you are given no warning what so ever so you poster been such a smart keyboard warrior I do hope it never happens to you.

People walk out, run out, cycle out, make terrible choices and mistakes but that is it mistakes as in in most cases it wasn't deliberate.....

On the lower speed part it make well be good at times but people really need to be clued in whether walking, cycling or driving.

Estates etc yes it's a good idea but some places it's nuts altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Motorists, Cyclists and Pedestrians are receiving well deserved criticism for doing stupid/dangerous things on the road yet only the posts criticising the Cyclists are being disputed....... says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

This is a question I often ask myself.

The standard of driving is beyond chronic.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Motorists, Cyclists and Pedestrians are receiving well deserved criticism for doing stupid/dangerous things on the road yet only the posts criticising the Cyclists are being disputed....... says it all really.

Except that's not true - the main dispute being discussed at present, in the post immediately above yours, for example, has nothing to do with cycling.

And you're right to say that motorists, cyclists and pedestrians all do stupid and dangerous things. But just for context, only one of those three groups kills three or four people each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The truth is Ireland is one of the safest countires in the world, in fact outside of northern Europe most driving is abdominal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The truth is Ireland is one of the safest countires in the world, in fact outside of northern Europe most driving is abdominal.

They control the steering wheel with their stomachs ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Wow thats very low. Is that figure including pedestrians and cyclists struck by cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Crumple zones, airbags and high-strength steel in key areas are probably the big reason, at least in collisions.

That's how far we've come in 20 years.

The lack of patience on the roads is incredible. I was stopped at a red light earlier today in the left lane turning left. A straight only green arrow appeared for cars going straight while the red remained for cars turning left. The red remains for cars turning left as there are pedestrian lights around the corner.

The car behind me started beeping me like crazy. I looked in my mirror and a man and woman were literally screaming all kinds of abuse at me. I pointed to the red light but they just didn't seem to grasp it.

Eventually the full Green came on and I proceeded. So basically, I was beeped at and screamed at for following the rules of the road.

A learner probably would of panicked and just drove.

The lack of patience on the roads is incredible. I was stopped at a red light earlier today in the left lane turning left. A straight only green arrow appeared for cars going straight while the red remained for cars turning left. The red remains for cars turning left as there are pedestrian lights around the corner.

The car behind me started beeping me like crazy. I looked in my mirror and a man and woman were literally screaming all kinds of abuse at me. I pointed to the red light but they just didn't seem to grasp it.

Eventually the full Green came on and I proceeded. So basically, I was beeped at and screamed at for following the rules of the road.

A learner probably would of panicked and just drove.

That's totally normal behavior see it all the time....

Even better the green man comes on away they go.....

Earlier on Camden St.... Taxi sitting on pedestrian crossing creaping further and further....

Orange man is lit but it ain't a flashing orange for us as it stays red.... He boots it and then a bus who seen him do this guessed it was time to go.

Don't be sheep and follow, read the road yourself, stay well back and if you get heated take a chill pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Except that's not true - the main dispute being discussed at present, in the post immediately above yours, for example, has nothing to do with cycling.

And you're right to say that motorists, cyclists and pedestrians all do stupid and dangerous things. But just for context, only one of those three groups kills three or four people each week.

Attempting to dispute my point whilst simultaneously proving it....... ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I was on a bus to Cork recently and just as the driver was preparing to pull into his bay a female pedestrian was taking a short cut through it! She just stepped from the footpath and walked across!

Yer humble drunken pedestrian staggering out in front of traffic is another beaut. I've always pitied the door driver who sends this person to their maker.

They spend the rest of their life asking themselves 'what if' and 'if only'

The real irony is attempting to prove your point using a post made after you made your point. Presumably, this is because you've realised that the posts made before you made your point don't actually support your point.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Yer humble drunken pedestrian staggering out in front of traffic is another beaut. I've always pitied the door driver who sends this person to their maker.

They spend the rest of their life asking themselves 'what if' and 'if only'

How often does this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

How often does this happen?

I don't have statistics for you. I do know two people this happened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

The thing with anyone using our roads is that a lot of people just want to place blame "well, that driver should have been doing x or y", "that cyclist didn't do x or y" but blame and responsibility is irrelevant when you're injured or dead. Thinking "ah well, the other driver was at fault" won't mend your broken leg.
    If everyone paid attention, took less stupid risks and wasn't so selfish then the roads might be safer.

One comment I would make about cyclists and pedestrians is that they don't use mirrors when they are switching direction because they obviously don't have mirrors. You can't attach mirrors to pedestrians but I think mirrors on bicycles might be helpful and protect one of the more vulnerable groups on the road. If cyclists had mirrors it might make lane switching safer for them and other road users.

erica74 wrote: »
    The thing with anyone using our roads is that a lot of people just want to place blame "well, that driver should have been doing x or y", "that cyclist didn't do x or y" but blame and responsibility is irrelevant when you're injured or dead. Thinking "ah well, the other driver was at fault" won't mend your broken leg.
    If everyone paid attention, took less stupid risks and wasn't so selfish then the roads might be safer.

One comment I would make about cyclists and pedestrians is that they don't use mirrors when they are switching direction because they obviously don't have mirrors. You can't attach mirrors to pedestrians but I think mirrors on bicycles might be helpful and protect one of the more vulnerable groups on the road. If cyclists had mirrors it might make lane switching safer for them and other road users.

You can get glasses with mirrors and bikes can be fitted with them also.

There are a few going about with them on their bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

You can get glasses with mirrors and bikes can be fitted with them also.

There are a few going about with them on their bikes

And more should follow suit, I think they're a great idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

erica74 wrote: »
    And more should follow suit, I think they're a great idea.

I've tried some on my bike, they're utterly pointless. They are far too small to see anything in them, and it's impossible to put them at an angle that will allow you to just glance at them and actually see the road behind you.

I'd rather cyclists actually kept looking behind before changing direction (as motorcyclists are obliged to do, too), not fix tiny mirrors and assume that because you see nothing in them means nothing's behind you. It would be a very dangerous false sense of security.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

How so? The point being argued is that the party capable of doing the most damage carries the most responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've tried some on my bike, they're utterly pointless. They are far too small to see anything in them, and it's impossible to put them at an angle that will allow you to just glance at them and actually see the road behind you.

I'd rather cyclists actually kept looking behind before changing direction (as motorcyclists are obliged to do, too), not fix tiny mirrors and assume that because you see nothing in them means nothing's behind you. It would be a very dangerous false sense of security.

I’d have to agree, a lifesaver look is way more useful/safe.

Those mirrors might also make drivers assume the cyclist ahead can see them when the cyclist can’t.

Drivers already pass helmet wearing cyclists closer than non-helmet wearing ones, the same could happen with mirrors.

Advertisement