Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-09-2020, 11:31   #1
Davy
Category Moderator

Dublin Airport to stop cars picking up passengers outside terminals

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...nals-1.4346913

Quote:
Airport operator DAA is seeking planning permission to install a new paid drop-off and pick-up zone at Dublin Airport, in an effort to reduce car journeys to and from the facility and stop private drivers picking up passengers outside terminals.

The proposed new paid drop-off and pick-up zones, which will have to be approved by Fingal County Council, will operate in front of terminal one and terminal two, and will not be introduced during the Covid-19 crisis.

Under the plans, DAA will change the internal road layout and install new lanes and barriers at the main airport exit.

Currently, private cars are permitted to drop off in front of both terminals at Dublin Airport, but no private vehicle pick up is permitted. A spokesman for DAA said the current system has been “abused” by some for years, with cars illegally stopping to wait for pick-ups or circling the campus roads several times before they collect a person.

While DAA has not decided what charges to implement in the new set down area, figures from Cork Airport, where a similar operation is in place, are worth noting. There, the first 15 minutes are free. A driver then pays €3 for 16-20 minutes, €5 for 21-30 minutes, €10 for 31-60 minutes, and €20 for 61-120 minutes. Anyone who stays beyond 121 minutes may have their car clamped or towed away.

A spokesman added that the new system will not be introduced during the pandemic, but works will take place shortly if the project receives approval from planning authorities. “It will be more efficient to complete the construction work during the current downturn in passenger numbers, as it will have significantly less disruption on the airport road network,” he said.

Additionally, a free drop-off and pick-up option will still be available at the express red long-term car park. A new reduced fee 30-minute parking period will also be introduced at Dublin Airport’s short-term car parks, beside the passenger terminals.

The new toll booths will accept toll tag, card and cash payments.
Advertisement
05-09-2020, 11:34   #3
Inquitus

What a load of rubbish, I always pick people up, I make sure they are outside and ready to go and stop for 1-2 mins at most. It has never seemed to cause any issues.

Its almost as daft as the Taxi ban, instead of calling Swords cabs, I now have to go queue for a taxi and get abused by the driver for a trip to Swords which is just too far for him to get back in time to keep his slot.
05-09-2020, 11:36   #4
redlead

Trying their best to make travelling through airports even more enjoyable. Here's a simple solution for them, stop ripping people off in the short term car park and most of the "abuse" will magically go away .
05-09-2020, 12:09   #5
Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

They’ll operate a set down area from the red car park. So that means people must share a bus to the terminal who otherwise would’ve been dropped directly outside. Super.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-09-2020, 13:25   #6
shamrocka330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquitus View Post
What a load of rubbish, I always pick people up, I make sure they are outside and ready to go and stop for 1-2 mins at most. It has never seemed to cause any issues.

Its almost as daft as the Taxi ban, instead of calling Swords cabs, I now have to go queue for a taxi and get abused by the driver for a trip to Swords which is just too far for him to get back in time to keep his slot.
If you read the article it states that the first 15 minutes will be more than likely free (based on Cork), therefore it won’t impact you.

Last edited by shamrocka330; 05-09-2020 at 13:29.
05-09-2020, 13:41   #7
Irish Steve

Typical narrow minded short term myopic thinking, but nothing new there from DAA.

Would make far more sense to move the (parked) pick up taxis and limos from the departure road, and then there'd be plenty of space to allow pick ups. As always, the problem is people that are parking on the departure road because their passenger is not there to collect, limiting space available.

Would also help if they would see some sense and make the middle lane of the 3 the through lane, that would make getting in and out of spaces a lot simpler, and a lot safer, as there would then be pathway access for getting smaller children out of cars.

15 minutes free, with the chaos that's the short term parking it will take longer than that to find a space, let alone then make contact with the passenger.

Another significant help would be a rail or Luas link in to the airport, that would also reduce vehicle journeys, but they won't facilitate that any time soon.
(4) thanks from:
05-09-2020, 13:59   #8
spurious
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Steve
As always, the problem is people that are parking on the departure road because their passenger is not there to collect, limiting space available.
This. A thousand times this, but instead of moving the ' Where's Gerry? Didn't he say he'd be here about half past?' types on, they will spend money on toll booths and piss organised customers off.

Another group are the 'booked' taxis who also plonk themselves outside and wait, apparently unchallenged.
(4) thanks from:
05-09-2020, 14:26   #9
cgarrad

If the first period is free I can not think of any negatives with this, in fact it's a huge win for people who are organised and play by the rules.
Advertisement
05-09-2020, 14:29   #10
Pkiernan

Object to the planning permission
05-09-2020, 14:41   #11
elperello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
Object to the planning permission
Anyone can just keep an eye on the PP section of the Fingal Co Co website.

Your objection would need to be on planning grounds not just saying you don't want to pay.

Any individual or business owner in the airport area would want to be aware of the knock on effects of this plan.

In many airports in the UK where this type of arrangement is used they have problems with drivers parking illegally/dangerously while waiting to drop in to the pick up zone and collect the passengers without paying.

Some people will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid even a €3 charge.
05-09-2020, 15:59   #12
Caranica

Almost every UK airport has this system, not surprised to see it mooted here. Current system totally abused, drop off areas constantly full. Will hate it but understand why it's needed.
(3) thanks from:
05-09-2020, 17:13   #13
redlead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caranica View Post
Almost every UK airport has this system, not surprised to see it mooted here. Current system totally abused, drop off areas constantly full. Will hate it but understand why it's needed.
I've never not been able to pull in somewhere in the drop down area and I've been there a lot
(3) thanks from:
05-09-2020, 18:39   #14
Inquitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlead View Post
I've never not been able to pull in somewhere in the drop down area and I've been there a lot
Same here, never seen any issues.
Thanks from:
05-09-2020, 18:57   #15
Beersmith

I used to use the short term car park a lot to pick up people and I would be in and out in 15min and would pay 1.50e (i think) happily for the under 30min price . Then roughly 3 years ago they made the minimum fee 3e/1hr which ever since I've not paid a cent to the f*ckers. That was a pure ploy to get more money rather than free up the car park

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion