Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

- Italian music video with nonsense English lyrics-

This story reminds me of Celebrate by An Emotional Fish.

Some Italian rock star had a huge hit when he re-recorded it in Italian. He didn’t translate the lyrics, he just chose Italian words that fitted into the beat but bore no relation to the meaning of the original.

Thus the refrain “this party’s over” became “gli spari sopra” which means ‘the shots above’. (That’s also the title)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

akx0g.jpg

one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-otters

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

biko wrote: »
    image.jpg

This sort of nonsense is wilfully and obviously incorrect. It ignores the fact that there were significantly less polling places in urban locations versus rural locations relative to population. It ignores the ongoing gerrymandering problem in the US. It ignores the attempts to stop legal voting by mail. But that's not the point of these sorts of posts, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

dulpit wrote: »
    This sort of nonsense is wilfully and obviously incorrect. It ignores the fact that there were significantly less polling places in urban locations versus rural locations relative to population. It ignores the ongoing gerrymandering problem in the US. It ignores the attempts to stop legal voting by mail. But that's not the point of these sorts of posts, right?

It's best to stay away from that thread. It's poison. (And, in fairness to Boards/the mods, it was created to keep the poison away from civilised society)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It ignores the fact that there were significantly less polling places in urban locations versus rural locations relative to population.

Why shouldn't there be less in urban areas?
    I'd expect an urban polling station to have more voters, in higher rates, that a rural station. Same way that I expect a tesco in a urban area to be bigger and to have more customers pass through each day.

If voting centres were based on population, remotre rural areas would have to travel ridiculous distances to vote.

Warning - we have a thread leak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

fritzelly wrote: »

268.gif

Mellor wrote: »
    Why shouldn't there be less in urban areas?
    I'd expect an urban polling station to have more voters, in higher rates, that a rural station. Same way that I expect a tesco in a urban area to be bigger and to have more customers pass through each day.

If voting centres were based on population, remotre rural areas would have to travel ridiculous distances to vote.
    We have a Trump Dump for a reason, it social distances the Trumpions from the humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fritzelly wrote: »

It's a "No chat please" thread! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

We have a Trump Dump for a reason, it social distances the Trumpions from the humour.

Wasn't trying to get into the politics of it.
    Just point is odd that somebody was complaining about ideas that were obviously incorrect, by posting more info that was wilfully and obviously incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Mellor wrote: »
    Wasn't trying to get into the politics of it.
    Just point is odd that somebody was complaining about ideas that were obviously incorrect, by posting more info that was wilfully and obviously incorrect.

Compare it to Ireland though. I live in the city, there are polling stations very close to me in any direction. They will each cater for a fairly similar number of voters. My parents live outside the city, their polling station is a 10 minute drive away, but also caters for roughly the same number of possible voters. I've never had to queue voting.

In the states, if you're unfortunate enough to live in the cities you have far more people voting in a polling place relative to rural areas. You see queues for hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

@ 1800 Ladladlad.
    I can’t see any of your posts on the main thread while on the iPad. The link asks if I want to download but that doesn’t seem to work either. Anyone else have this Problem or is it a setting on my iPad.

emeldc wrote: »
    @ 1800 Ladladlad.
    I can’t see any of your posts on the main thread while on the iPad. The link asks if I want to download but that doesn’t seem to work either. Anyone else have this Problem or is it a setting on my iPad.

https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/1160/how-to-enable-webp-image-format-preview-on-the-macos-finder

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/22/webp-safari-14/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

I’ve actually noticed that since latest iOS update on phone I can see 1800lads posts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

silverharp wrote: »
    534765.jpg

A little help required here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Siri/Alexa/Google/i-Whathaveyou being jealous of Mom?

I thought it was astrology nonsense. The time of your birth can tell her so much about you crap. So his mam was telling him to run from whatever lunatic he's talking to.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Now, that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

wally79 wrote: »
    I’ve actually noticed that since latest iOS update on phone I can see 1800lads posts

That was the sole purpose of the update afaik

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Sounds like a downgrade to me, having seen a few of 1800lad's posts :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115487083&postcount=7807
    The stark reality of the current covid situation for many people in one cartoon.
    looks perfect in the "zoomed" projection, but in reality, a complete mess and enforced isolation.
    Mental health issues will be off the scale for the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115487083&postcount=7807
    The stark reality of the current covid situation for many people in one cartoon.
    looks perfect in the "zoomed" projection, but in reality, a complete mess and enforced isolation.
    Mental health issues will be off the scale for the next couple of years.

This really pisses me off. The very fact that any one person will be aware of that is enough to allow coping with mental health issues, regardless of what they might be, be a reality. If you're aware that your circumstances are dire or desperate then you have all you need to cope with those circumstances yourself.

This really pisses me off. The very fact that any one person will be aware of that is enough to allow coping with mental health issues, regardless of what they might be, be a reality. If you're aware that your circumstances are dire or desperate then you have all you need to cope with those circumstances yourself.
    Do you mean "pull yourself together!", great advice, but many can't do that and will have serious issues for a long time to come.

If you're aware that your circumstances are dire or desperate then you have all you need to cope with those circumstances yourself.

OK; can you clarify this please?

Are you saying this in earnestness or sarcastically?

Compare it to Ireland though. I live in the city, there are polling stations very close to me in any direction. They will each cater for a fairly similar number of voters. My parents live outside the city, their polling station is a 10 minute drive away, but also caters for roughly the same number of possible voters. I've never had to queue voting.

In the states, if you're unfortunate enough to live in the cities you have far more people voting in a polling place relative to rural areas. You see queues for hours..
    Do you have any links to suggest turnout is the same per location. I'd be surprised if that where the case tbh.

But even still, Irish rural is nothing like the remoteness of US rural. And, Irish "cities". Well most are barely small towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I think you'll find you have them the wrong way round. That parcel was obviously meant for Mr Musk

OK; can you clarify this please?

Are you saying this in earnestness or sarcastically?

I'm no going to clarify anything. Read the sentence it is simple stuff.

• Advertisement

Do you mean "pull yourself together!", great advice, but many can't do that and will have serious issues for a long time to come.

You read also. I was extremely succinct!

Advertisement