Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Trained birds recycle bottle caps.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=406117967433192

This is amazing, immediately thought plastic. Crows and Magpies are stupidly intelligent. More intelligent than most people on the planet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Those umbrellas remind me of my holiday in France last year. They have a similar display in Saumur...
    https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/saumur-umbrellas.html

(sigh - I miss travelling abroad :()

Edit: actually I miss travelling more than 5km from home :(

Belfast actually has an umbrella entryway too. Still probably more than 5km away from you, but definitely closer than the continent!

https://velvetescape.com/cathedral-quarter-belfast/
    DSCEDIT_0039-560x375.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Belfast actually has an umbrella entryway too. Still probably more than 5km away from you, but definitely closer than the continent!

https://velvetescape.com/cathedral-quarter-belfast/
    DSCEDIT_0039-560x375.jpg

As does Dublin

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3404979,-6.2596526,3a,75y,19.03h,105.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMH5IoenvsA1ATkjD7Z6Xvw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

And Kilkenny

marketcross.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

AJws8Jl.jpg
    Mouse-eye view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Mouse-eye view.

Fish-eye lense :pac:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Fish-eye lense :pac:
    Goldfish view of cat. :P

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115294123&postcount=9545

That's like saying your an ancient Egyptian just because you live in Egypt. "Deadliest disaster in British history" you say...
    tumblr_moh47ebChy1qd6v0do1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement

It's supposed to be using a cloaking device, so completely invisible!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's supposed to be using a cloaking device, so completely invisible!

OMG d'oh - that is clever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I cant keep trek of all these jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I Khan.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I Khan.

The penny will drop very Soong

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The penny will drop very Soong

Would you ever get Uhura yourself ffs

Apologies if I've Spock out of turn ...

Time to beam up this classic!

gozunda wrote: »
    Would you ever get Uhura yourself ffs

Apologies if I've Spock out of turn ...

How Geek is your love?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,137 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115294123&postcount=9545

That's like saying your an ancient Egyptian just because you live in Egypt.

This post makes makes no sense.
    Ancient Egypt is still classed as Egyptian history.
    Something that happened in historically in Britain can very easily be the worst in British history. :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    This post makes makes no sense.
    Ancient Egypt is still classed as Egyptian history.
    Something that happened in historically in Britain can very easily be the worst in British history. :confused::confused:

A person from Egypt is not classed classed as an Ancient Egyptian. The difference here is there was no Britain it did not exist where as Ancient Egypt did. You don't see people going around claiming to be from Ancient Egypt just because they're from Egypt now do you. It is not British history it something that happened historically in the place where Britain now stands. The fact is 'Britain' yet again is claiming something is theirs when it isn't.

A person from Egypt is not classed classed as an Ancient Egyptian. The difference here is there was no Britain it did not exist where as Ancient Egypt did. You don't see people going around claiming to be from Ancient Egypt just because they're from Egypt now do you. It is not British history it something that happened historically in the place where Britain now stands. The fact is 'Britain' yet again is claiming something is theirs when it isn't.
    Are you saying that Ireland was not Ireland at around that time as well, even though it was inhabited by several ancient tribes as was the British isles.
    Interesting fact about the ancient Egyptians is that they were completely replaced by Arabs sometime between the decline of the Egyptian empire and modern times.

Are you saying that Ireland was not Ireland at around that time as well, even though it was inhabited by several ancient tribes as was the British isles.
    Interesting fact about the ancient Egyptians is that they were completely replaced by Arabs sometime between the decline of the Egyptian empire and modern times.

It is not known what either were called, the earliest Greek or Roman maps name Ireland as Hibernia and Britain as Anglia. While some Roman Empire maps name Ireland Hibernia, England as Britannia and Scotland as Caledonia but neither would of the same period. There is reference of Ireland being called Island Iernis or Ierne by some Greek accounts. Modern day Iraq stands on the site of where the bible places the Tower of Babel and Sumerians who invented the time we now waste while not getting that it was not British history but is prehistoric British history, as an aside some theorist suggest that Saddam was a reincarnation of Nebuchadnezzar, he wanted to rebuild the Empire. The point is as you know history is written by the victor. Was Ireland Ireland at that period or the UK Britain!? Just because it is in the same location does not mean it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It is not known what either were called, the earliest Greek or Roman maps name Ireland as Hibernia and Britain as Anglia. While some Roman Empire maps name Ireland Hibernia, England as Britannia and Scotland as Caledonia but neither would of the same period. There is reference of Ireland being called Island Iernis or Ierne by some Greek accounts. Modern day Iraq stands on the site of where the bible places the Tower of Babel and Sumerians who invented the time we now waste while not getting that it was not British history but is prehistoric British history, as an aside some theorist suggest that Saddam was a reincarnation of Nebuchadnezzar, he wanted to rebuild the Empire. The point is as you know history is written by the victor. Was Ireland Ireland at that period or the UK Britain!? Just because it is in the same location does not mean it is.

Anglia is where the Angles came from. They invaded Britain after Rome withdrew.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

How about "The currently named 'Britain''s worst disaster"...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Egypt = Egyptian
    Ancient Egypt = Egyptian

England = english
    Dark ages english = French
    Older english = German.
    Oldest english = Britons.

Oh and we closer to ancient Egypt now than they were to the civilisation before them(old kingdom).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,137 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A person from Egypt is not classed classed as an Ancient Egyptian.
    Nobody has claimed they are though. :confused:

Ancient Egypt is a subset of Egyptian history.
    Same with Britain, or Ireland.

I'm not sure how you've jumped form there to the line above.
    The difference here is there was no Britain it did not exist where as Ancient Egypt did.

It's referring to the landmass, which existed at the time, regardless of what it was called by the locals.

It is not known what either were called, the earliest Greek or Roman maps name Ireland as Hibernia and Britain as Anglia. While some Roman Empire maps name Ireland Hibernia, England as Britannia and Scotland as Caledonia but neither would of the same period. There is reference of Ireland being called Island Iernis or Ierne by some Greek accounts.

What it was called is irrelevant. That's a language issue.
    Ancient Egypt wasn't originally called Egypt. They had their own name. The Greeks named it Egypt later. Same as Britain being named later by Romans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Jaysus lads take it to the history forum yis are boring the shìte out of everyone with this pedantic waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

Jaysus lads take it to the history forum yis are boring the shìte out of everyone with this pedantic waffle.

Ah, but that's the crux of the issue.
    They don't know whether to take it to the History Forum or the Current Affairs/Politics Forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭stopthevoting

Worztron wrote: »
    Re the Adam and Eve post in YLYL 10 thread:
    After the first three sons, Adam begat other sons and daughters. Gen 5:4

When I was about 5 or 6, I asked about this at school; If everyone is descended from Adam and Eve, does that mean that their sons and daughters married each other. I think there was a very awkward reply and quick change of subject.

Advertisement