Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do motorcyclists always break the speed limit?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

jim o doom wrote: »
    I have no idea - I do know that I have seen every single type of vehicle speeding.

How does a truck limiter operate exactly? Is it relevant to the speed limit on each road, or is it a max limit that the truck cannot exceed?

If it's the latter, there are going to be plenty of roads that have limits lower than the trucks max speed.

It's a limiter to 90 Km/h usually. Many loaded trucks will have a hard time getting up to speed on normal roads so speeding isn't such a big problem, but they make up for it by running red lights that have just changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    It's a limiter to 90 Km/h usually. Many loaded trucks will have a hard time getting up to speed on normal roads so speeding isn't such a big problem, but they make up for it by running red lights that have just changed.

If they are limited to 90 I must not have seen them speeding on the motorway so I may be mistaken on that part - defo have seen speeding trucks though. They aren't always loaded.

Scary things to pass on a motorbike! When I was young and had a low powered 125 marauder I was driving behind a truck, slipstreaming him and that allowed me to catch up.. then I would attempt to overtake (dual carriageway) and get hit by the wind coming off the side.. and the little bike would slow right back down again. Fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I have no idea - I do know that I have seen every single type of vehicle speeding.

How does a truck limiter operate exactly? Is it relevant to the speed limit on each road, or is it a max limit that the truck cannot exceed?

If it's the latter, there are going to be plenty of roads that have limits lower than the trucks max speed.

ive no idea how they work to be honest, but id say theyre fairly difficult to crack, but im sure not impossible, but i suspect very few do, i also suspect theyre factory fitted
    If they are limited to 90 I must not have seen them speeding on the motorway so I may be mistaken on that part - defo have seen speeding trucks though. They aren't always loaded.

Scary things to pass on a motorbike! When I was young and had a low powered 125 marauder I was driving behind a truck, slipstreaming him and that allowed me to catch up.. then I would attempt to overtake (dual carriageway) and get hit by the wind coming off the side.. and the little bike would slow right back down again. Fun times.

wind turbulence from a truck is terrifying, particularly on a bicycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

If you believe 2 and 3 of that list, you are a fool. Doctors call bikers "organ donors" and as one relative of mine, who is an ED consultant told me, "donations" start on Friday evening, run right through the weekend and tail off by Monday morning. Most bikers are killed by collisions with cars, but a continual few are killed by collisions with solid objects after coming off the bike at high speed. "Sorry, mate, I didn't see you", was the old, cruel joke from car drivers. Most bikers are careful, defensive drivers because they have to be and virtually all are also car drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Stovepipe wrote: »
    If you believe 2 and 3 of that list, you are a fool. Doctors call bikers "organ donors" and as one relative of mine, who is an ED consultant told me, "donations" start on Friday evening, run right through the weekend and tail off by Monday morning. Most bikers are killed by collisions with cars, but a continual few are killed by collisions with solid objects after coming off the bike at high speed. "Sorry, mate, I didn't see you", was the old, cruel joke from car drivers. Most bikers are careful, defensive drivers because they have to be and virtually all are also car drivers.

I only drive motorbikes and bicycles, and you can still drive fast while driving defensively and fully aware of what's going on around you.

• Advertisement

I only drive motorbikes and bicycles, and you can still drive fast while driving defensively and fully aware of what's going on around you.

unfortunately i think some of us think we re better drivers than we actually are, including myself, we should be regularly checked

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

great video

and 8 minutes 10 seconds onwards:eek:

great video

and 8 minutes 10 seconds onwards:eek:

two legends

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The TT stuff is mind blowing, it is hard to believe they are going those speeds let alone racing each other a close quarters at the same time. The skill of those riders is truly world class.

I've been a pillion on a few bikes, and nothing scared me more than being on the back of a Hayabusa. The pilot (yes, pilot, because a normal driver won't be able to handle that power) told me to grab on and don't let go as if my life depended on it. I still haven't felt such acceleration in my life, and by jesus did I hold on for dear life. I asked him how fast he went when I eventually got off, with my legs like jelly. He said he didn't break the speed limit, but got there as quick as possible. And I do that myself in my car. For the first time, I have a car that can accelerate quite quickly, and I do tend to get to the limit as fast as it'll get me there. Not illegal as long as it's not done dangerously.

yeah thats most of the buzz for me with bikes, its not about breaking the limit, its about getting up to it as fast as possible. Opening up the throttle you feel wind pressure on your chest such is the acceleration, its a fantastic feeling to have such power available just by twisting your wrist.

yeah my first bike was a 125 scooter which I drove on the motorways a couple of times a week. Passing trucks on it was scary stuff, apart from passing close by to their row of huge tyres you knew when you got past the cab there would be a blast of wind which would push you sideways. I used to brace myself for it and just hope it didnt blow me off the motorway and into the median strip. My bike now is a fair bit heavier than a 125 scooter so its not an issue but on the scooter I had some scary moments. Looking back just because you are allowed a 125 scooter on a motorway doesnt mean you should, I could have easily taken the old road and really should have in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In my nearly 20 years driving cars I only ever remember being tailed for a long distance by one motorbike. And that was no shock because I know the guy who was tailing me and he still has his confirmation money...

The other 99.99% of the time where I've been driving along at the speed limit, one or more motorbikes invariably appear on my boot from nowhere and then proceed to over take at full throttle the first chance they get.

I suppose to be fair, when your sitting on a machine that is at about half chat when travelling at 100k, it's probably extremely aluring to just give the wrist a quick flick and be gone into the distance. I doubt I'll ever know, would no doubt be killed off it.

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    In my nearly 20 years driving cars I only ever remember being tailed for a long distance by one motorbike. And that was no shock because I know the guy who was tailing me and he still has his confirmation money...

The other 99.99% of the time where I've been driving along at the speed limit, one or more motorbikes invariably appear on my boot from nowhere and then proceed to over take at full throttle the first chance they get.

I suppose to be fair, when your sitting on a machine that is at about half chat when travelling at 100k, it's probably extremely aluring to just give the wrist a quick flick and be gone into the distance. I doubt I'll ever know, would no doubt be killed off it.

...and is probably putting it all into his bike(s)

Agricola wrote: »
    ...sitting on a machine that is at about half chat when travelling at 100k, it's probably extremely aluring to just give the wrist a quick flick and be gone into the distance...

Can't deny that - but it's mainly to keep a very healthy distance between me and other 2+ wheeled vehicles at all times - and if that means accelerating to 100+ (mph) to minimise the time we're in close proximity then that's what I'll do

Quite simply the further away you are from them, the safer you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Car drivers like a moan about cyclists and motorcyclists.
    Why were traffic lights introduced?
    Why were yellow grids at junctions introduced?
    Why were double yellow lines introduced?
    Car drivers breaking the rules is the answer in each case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

For some reason, I have more respect for motorcyclists than car drivers. I dunno what it is.

Maybe I'm a little biased because I love the look and sound of motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Spotted a bike gaining fast on me earlier today in rear view mirror. Then what does he do, I still can't believe it....a wheelie.... a fücking wheelie... as if it was a BMX he had, and then goes supersonic past me. I usually have respect for bikers but this was an absolute numpty acting the maggot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There are a few elements to it. Any decent sized bike - compared to a car - is bind bendingly fast. Even going 100kph already a twist of the wrist and you are catapulted like you are at a standstill. It's incredible fun and very addictive. The other thing is they slow down even faster so you can stop in a very short distance if you need to. Mainly though it's because speed limits don't apply to motorbikes - it's in the rules of the road, everybody knows that!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

When I'm out on my Honda Transalp, ( a big bike, imposing and with a high seat) with my headlight on, and wearing the hi vis gear, I find great amusement in cruising up to a car doing well over the speed limit, watching him drop it straight away, and be on his best behaviour
    for the next few miles. Then I whiz past him !!

Advertisement