Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do motorcyclists always break the speed limit?

Options
  • 12-08-2020 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

Genuine question, is there a reason why motorcyclists do not think that the 100kmh limit applies to them? I'm driving for over 20 years and the only motorbikes I see on the road are the ones who appear suddenly behind me out of nowhere and disappear off into the distance when there's even a half chance of overtaking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Have you ever ridden a motorbike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Because they're rebels... they're edgy and they like to flirt with danger! :P

Or maybe they're all just a bunch of selfish ***** !? Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Genuine question, is there a reason why motorcyclists do not think that the 100kmh limit applies to them? I'm driving for over 20 years and the only motorbikes I see on the road are the ones who appear suddenly behind me out of nowhere and disappear off into the distance when there's even a half chance of overtaking.

You sound jealous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

They're cooler than people in car's and quite frankly they don't give a ****...

I always pull in and let them pass, their problem if they're caught not mine.

Although it's an amazing sight to see a motorcyclist zoom off into the distance, especially on a warm summer's evening.

I'd love to do it sometime myself, seriously it would be some rush and what a story to tell the grand kid's.

Lighten up op get a motor bike and drive the ****ing ring out of it :)

We're here for a good time, ride on dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

nthclare wrote: »
    They're cooler than people in car's and quite frankly they don't give a ****...

I always pull in and let them pass, their problem if they're caught not mine.

Although it's an amazing sight to see a motorcyclist zoom off into the distance, especially on a warm summer's evening.

I'd love to do it sometime myself, seriously it would be some rush and what a story to tell the grand kid's.

Lighten up op get a motor bike and drive the ****ing ring out of it :)

We're here for a good time, ride on dude

wow... they'll be so impressed by their crazy grandpa! Burning rubber on 2 wheels... what an outlaw you'll be! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You sound jealous.

I am jealous and i am old enough to have sense.
    I was staying close to Jerez the weekend of the moto GP and you want to see the bikes and speed.
    They reckon about 100,000 bikes converge on town for weekwnd and not much bigger than Cork or Galway.
    I think speed limit only for vehicles with more than 4 wheels??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Cause the slow ones don't catch up to you obviously. No different to cars really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

wow... they'll be so impressed by their crazy grandpa! Burning rubber on 2 wheels... what an outlaw you'll be! :p

And I'll ramp it up every Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Presumably the level of fckedness doesn't change much from 100 to 140 or so on a motorbike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

bike ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Pay a bit more attention, check your mirrors more often and nothing "will appear out of nowhere".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If, in 20 years, the only motorcycles you see are ones over taking you, that's for two reasons.

1/ You're not a very observant driver and don't notice all the motorcyles near you going a safe speed, and due to your lack of observance they decide to over take you.

2/ You're a slow as **** driver and we take advantage of your slow ass driving to over take you.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Rarely break the speed limit myself tbh, but I know it would appear that way to car drivers. There is a massive difference in acceleration between a bike and a car, so the bike will quickly disappear into the distance even without actually going that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

We can't get caught by speed cameras head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Because its fun:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cause it's some fcuking craic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pretty much everyone who drives a car breaks the speed limit too. At least motorbikes usually only kill themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pretty much everyone who drives a car breaks the speed limit too. At least motorbikes usually only kill themselves.

I intentionally do, fcuk it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

Actually the same is true of car drivers.

https://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/RSA-Statistics/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

'And on a steeeel horse I ride ........cause I'm wanted, dead or alive ........'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Plenty of cars and vans break the speed limit too only you don't notice them for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Rarely break the speed limit myself tbh, but I know it would appear that way to car drivers. There is a massive difference in acceleration between a bike and a car, so the bike will quickly disappear into the distance even without actually going that fast.

What?

If a car is doing 100kph how does a bike quickly disappear unless it's doing a lot more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I forgot to ask earlier, are you driving in Ireland?
    There are hardly any bikes here..,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

By 2014, there were 1.9 million private cars and 36,573 motorcycles in the Republic.

he total number of licensed vehicles recorded on Irish roads on 31st December 2015 was 2,570,294, of those 36,974 were motorcycles,

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-1916/1916irl/economy/tp/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Sorry OP motorcyclists just have bigger cocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

my theories:

1. The personality profile of a motorbike is more likely to be a male in his twenties than a lady in her 70s. And stats have shown young males are more likely to break speed limit than older ladies. Would be similar to a car.

2. motor bike registration plates can't be photographed by a speed camera so motor cyclists dont care

3. the police/speed cameras dont care about motorcyclists speeding as they are less dangerous to other cars than cars.

4. a motorbike engine power is powerful relevant to a car. so its so tempting for a motor cyclist to turn the throttle. similar to audi car drivers who cant help themselves drive fast.

5. its easy for a motorbike to overtake to speed. a fast car might get stuck behind a slow car with little opporutnity to overtake. A motorbike doesnt have that restriction and usually has an open road in front of them

6. they are able to skip the waiting traffic at a traffic light. And since they have quicker acceleration, they can get off much quicker than a car, ie do 0-60kmh in a couple of seconds. so it might appear they are speeding, they were just able to accelerate quicker than you from stationery lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Sorry OP motorcyclists just have bigger cocks.

Yeah they're in their bike helmets.

Anyways, bikers keep the organ donations rolling in in wet weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

We don't all do it. Same as car/bus/trucks on the road. There's a small percentage that does. Looks faster from a slower car that you likely drive. Also open your eyes.

Advertisement