Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottie Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Has anyone found out what Lottie did on the Good Wife yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

I anticipate she was just a runner. Not the most glamorous of jobs, despite the association with the show. Basically a secretary to the secretary of the producers. (or even lower). Very unlikey she did anything too brain sapping. Ps both julianna marguiles and archie panjabi are hotties!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    From what ive seen this girl has very little charisma, no individualism, is privileged and isnt the brightest pea in the pod.

Possibly true. I haven't seen much of her either. Only what I've checked online since I first heard of her last week. And from what I did see, she is no different to many other young celeb reporters in today's broadcasting sphere. She would fit in well with the FYI girls in TV3 and the celeb gossip colimists in the popular press. All playing to the lowest common denominator of dumbed down crap about celebrities that her 2FM listeners want.
    She barely is comfortable reading internet reports on 'celebrities' which has been the crux of her tv and radio career thus far. People who retaliate to critics should realise that we are the people who pay the licence fee on which people like her are dining out.

The dumbed down generation are licence fee payers too and RTÉ has an onus to accommodate their demands. Lottie Ryan's father was the master of tabloid radio and his daughter (and others) are simply being employed to cater for their section of the listenership.
    The nepotism card is an easy one to pull but plenty of people have 'inherited' jobs and have been suited to it. Entertainment/ broadcasting is not the most suitable, even one of the least suitable avenues to exercise nepotism (despite what that other poster said).

I take it I'm that "other poster". The entertainment industry has always been heavily populated by sons and daughters carrying on where their parents left off. In some cases its simply a case of growing up in an environment where it seems like a natural progression, in other cases nepotism does raise its head. In Lottie Ryan's case I believe it was simply a commercial decision based on the popularity of her father. Anyone who cannot see this knows little about how commercial decisions are made. Her name will automatically carry added weight in the form of extra listeners and in turn extra advertising revenue.

Say what you like about Lottie Ryan (and many have scathingly done so here), but her name is worth a lot more to RTÉ than that of some unknown newbie.

For example G Ryan, while not my cup of tea was loud, brass, charismatic and most vitally UNIQUE . These qualities cant be just passed down to your offspring.

Gerry Ryan was not my cup of tea either and I've found myself in hot water here in the past for expressing my views on his style of gutter broadcasting. He was unique and hope he remains so. I'd hate to see his 'qualities' passed on to his daughter (or anyone else).

Also to the poster who said that her qualifications make her a more ideal candidate than her ould lad. You couldnt be more wrong. Media degrees, most of which are low cao point entrys, do very little to prepare someone for the broadcasting world. You either have the personality or you dont.

Thats me again. Do you have a problem mentioning the people whose posts you refer to by name?

Anyway, the cat and its mother recognise the value of personality in broadcasting regardless of qualifications. That goes without saying.
    I simply outlined that she probably has more qualifications (on paper) for a career in media than her father ever had. I never said that she is owed a career because of them but at least she has them. You can be sure that if she didn't, the vitriol shown towards her here would be even more intense.

She can't win.
    Maybe she will prove me wrong (very unlikely) but once again this is another poor reflection on RTE.

I'm not a cheerleader for Lottie Ryan and I haven't listened to 2FM with any regularity since the early 90s and don't intend to change that. But like her or not, some of the comments posted about her here are nothing short of the vindictive venomous bile from the type of people who try to drag others down to their level because they can't, or don't know how to get up off their own arses and do something positive with their own lives.

I'm simply pointing out that I can understand the commercial reasons why the struggling station chose to hire her as a stand in for another DJ.

I strongly suspect that had they chose to introduce an unknown voice and give them their big break as some people here have suggested, the same people would be as quick to rip them to shreads here.

I also doubt an unknown dj in at the deep end would appeal to the sales team in Montrose in the way the daughter of one of the station's legendary figures could.

It always comes down to the bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Lapin wrote: »

I take it I'm that "other poster". The entertainment industry has always been heavily populated by sons and daughters carrying on where their parents left off. In some cases its simply a case of growing up in an environment where it seems like a natural progression, in other cases nepotism does raise its head. In Lottie Ryan's case I believe it was simply a commercial decision based on the popularity of her father. Anyone who cannot see this knows little about how commercial decisions are made. Her name will automatically carry added weight in the form of extra listeners and in turn extra advertising revenue.

I think you're overstating this name recognition thing, in Lottie's case I just don't think it's that relevant. If it does exist it would be negated by that fact that she is not particularly talented and blatant nepotism tends to piss a lot of people off - especially when it's in a semi-state body.

I doubt her appearances on the Colm Hayes show has any affect on it's JNLR figures or the amount of advertising revenue it generates. I'd imagine her getting to fill in for Louise Mcsharry is more down to who her agent is than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I strongly suspect that had they chose to introduce an unknown voice and give them their big break as some people here have suggested, the same people would be as quick to rip them to shreads here.

Not if they had Talent & Charisma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Fran1985 wrote: »
    This thread is full of bullying and bitterness

It's ridiculous to suggest that Lottie Ryan is being "bullied" on this thread. Do you even know the definition of bullying?

.............I'd imagine her getting to fill in for Louise Mcsharry is more down to who her agent is than anything else.

Fair play to her agent then.

They obviously recognise a good business opportunity when they see one.

Ask yourself this.

If you ran such an outsourcing agency and 2FM came knocking on your door, who would you send ?

An unknown entity, or the daughter of one of the legendary figures of Irish broadcasting?

Who are you more likely to get paid for?

Think about it.

Hootanany wrote: »

Not if they had Talent & Charisma.

You have to be joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I don't know about you but I like all my nepotistic appointments to have had hypocritical DJ fathers.

@ Lapin,, first of all I apologise Lapin for not mentioning your name, Lapin. When writing my comment, lapin, it was merely a reflection upon what the thread was and some of the content, not a targetted response to any one contributor, Lapin. However, Lapin, if it makes you feel at ease, Lapin, i will mention your name, Lapin if i feel my reply is aimed at you Lapin. Its Lapin, isnt it?!!

• Advertisement

Anyway joking aside, as i have said before, I understand that nepotism is common in all sectors of business. BUT broadcasting is such a unique talent, requiring an amass of traits that it is very rare that offspring can, as you said carry on where their parents left off. I urge you to cite some examples contrary to this opinion. I really think you have overthought the commercial implications of hiring Lottie due to her name, much as RTE, (in my opinion) have underthought the same. Sure, a name carries weight, but it also carrier expectations. It opens doors but behind those doors are preying eyes, scrutinising and comparing the offspring to their parents. Broadcasting live, for a state broadcaster is cutthroat and there is (rightfully) nowhere to hide and if a licence payer feels that someond like Lottie has got into her position on the strength of her family ties, she will be open to even more scrutiny than, say, Joe Bloggs.

I cant believe that her name will boost ratings in the medium to long term if the viewers, on top of realising how she got into her position, feel she isnt up for the job. I anticipate it will be the opposite . I would be interested in hearing upon what basis, citing examples, you base this theory of the commercial strength of Lottie Ryan. Also, everyone deserves a chance but everyone who puts themselves in a high profile well paid position is aware they will be profiled and scrutinised. So maybe listen to some of her work (ahem) and make a judgement before thinking that this is merely an attack on Lottie due to her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

A friend of mine was in the same course as her back in the day - Griffith College, I believe - and told me that they once had an assignment where the class had to interview a worthy subject. I had a similar assignment when I was a student and ended up speaking to a local TD.

Apparently though - through her intrepid journalism skills, no doubt - Lottie bagged an interview with Bono for the assignment! I mean, really? There's no level playing field when someone's dad can open those kinds of doors. RTE cronyism at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

It's ridiculous to suggest that Lottie Ryan is being "bullied" on this thread. Do you even know the definition of bullying?

The suggestion of trying to defend a poster that makes snide, childish remarks about another person is ridiculous. I'd suggest joining ask.fm if they need to do this. Grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Lapin wrote: »
    Fair play to her agent then.

They obviously recognise a good business opportunity when they see one.

Ask yourself this.

If you ran such an outsourcing agency and 2FM came knocking on your door, who would you send ?

An unknown entity, or the daughter of one of the legendary figures of Irish broadcasting?

Who are you more likely to get paid for?

Think about it.

I've already said that I don't think that people would be anymore likely to listen to a programme if Lottie Ryan is involve it than they would if she was an unknown entity. In fact, I think they would be less likely to because they would already have made their minds up about her. Having her on the Colm Hayes show for the past 3 years, albeit in a very small role, hasn't stopped that show losing over half it's listeners.

She shares the same agent with Ryan Tubridy. I suspect her filling in for McSharry is more to do with internal politics in 2fm. The agent gets to keep a slice of the action while Tubridy is away because Nicky Byrne's stint was the first time one of his clients wasn't used as Tubs holiday replacement.

The suggestion of trying to defend a poster that makes snide, childish remarks about another person is ridiculous. I'd suggest joining ask.fm if they need to do this. Grow up

I'm not defending anybody. I'm merely pointing out that the suggestion that Lottie Ryan is being bullied is just plain silly and utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm not defending anybody. I'm merely pointing out that the suggestion that Lottie Ryan is being bullied is just plain silly and utterly ridiculous.

a lot of the offending posts were deleted. Anyways anyone know if she is on the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I saw her on South William Street a few months ago and she was caked in make-up. It was the middle of the day and it looked awful, somebody should tell her that less is more.

Have you ever been to a TV studio or a photography shoot ? Makeup is applied very heavily and is a possible explanation for your upset.

a lot of the offending posts were deleted. Anyways anyone know if she is on the weekend?

The posts were most probably deleted because the comments were unsavoury and unpleasant but again, it was not bullying - not according to any reasonable definition of the word.

The posts were most probably deleted because the comments were unsavoury and unpleasant but again, it was not bullying - not according to any reasonable definition of the word.

is that not the ask.fm defence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it was pretty bad all the same

The whole 'bullying' issue is demeaning the debate about her appointment to RTE. It shouldnt take away from the logical arguments that people are using to criticise the appointment. The main issue is with RTE, and their internal politics, and by scrutinising the capabilities of Lottie to brodcasting, we are highlighting this. Sure there will be the odd troll commenting on her personal appearance, life, accent, etc and such people should be banned from posting. But that doesnt mean the argument doesnt stand firm and that pro Lottie brigade or pro nepotism advocates should tar all of us with the 'bullying' stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The whole 'bullying' issue is demeaning the debate about her appointment to RTE. It shouldnt take away from the logical arguments that people are using to criticise the appointment. The main issue is with RTE, and their internal politics, and by scrutinising the capabilities of Lottie to brodcasting, we are highlighting this. Sure there will be the odd troll commenting on her personal appearance, life, accent, etc and such people should be banned from posting. But that doesnt mean the argument doesnt stand firm and that pro Lottie brigade or pro nepotism advocates should tar all of us with the 'bullying' stamp.

it's not her fault though...and many of the posts were personal

Read the post thoroughly. I made a point to indicate that the issue is with RTE, and we are qualifying the argument by saying that her appointment wasnt merely a crazy coincidence. Its a critique of her brodcasting style, in the same way George Hook, Tubridy, Dunphy, joe duffy etc etc get scrutinised. Just because she is a young (shes not even that young) woman, doesnt mean she cant be open to critique either.

Could you also tell me what you feel is personal, in terms of the comments that people have made. Ive already stated that i agree comments on appearance, personal life, accent, etc dont really have any place here. I do however feel that anything that relates to her brodcasting abilities is fair.

Could you also tell me what you feel is personal, in terms of the comments that people have made. Ive already stated that i agree comments on appearance, personal life, accent, etc dont really have any place here. I do however feel that anything that relates to her brodcasting abilities is fair.

well we are 50 odd posts into this thread and there are very few post talking about her weekend show.

Talk about it then, tell me its virtues? Ive heard her on Tubridy and Colm hayes and seen her on her regular slot on the tv show (afternoon show, i think?) and i found her very limited. The main crux of her 'work' was reading internet reports about celebrities. So i am definitely not going to waste my weekend listening to her full show. When is it on, and are you a fan?

Remember, as you said, we are 50 odd posts into the thread and there is very few, if even any, posts highlighting her strengths as a brodcaster.

So, instead of using the bullying card and the 'its not her fault' card, defend her by stating why you think she is worthy of a, i anticipate, healthy wage packet for working for our state brodcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I think she is good and has lots of potential. I also think there is nothing wrong with using who you know to get what you want.

Thats probably it exactly, she is most likely to bring in the audience. Personally, her voice grates me and I couldn't listen to her for longer than a minute or two.

I just want to see Kevo from early 90s saturday morning tv get a show:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement