Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to register online and claim levy/tax credits/ refunds : Now Includes Forms

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Does anyone know where the "exempt income" has gone to in the PAYE online?
    It's there for 2008, when I last declared on the rent a room scheme, need to do it again this year, but can't find it anywhere.

I've sent an email to the revenue, but sure it could take weeks to get a response from them.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Losphel

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Help!!
    My employer just showed me that i have NO tax credits allocated to me for 2011..
    I only work part time and normally do not earn enough to pay tax..
    Would anyone have an idea why this would happen..
    Revenue Offices closed.:(

Probably a little late and you would have sorted it out by now but....
    I would imagine that if you are jointly-assessed and are the non-assessable spouse (the person who earns the least is generally the non-assessable spouse), the assessable spouse will have all the credits and the rate band.

Another possible reason is if you have two employments, all your credits and rate band may be allocated to one employment. For example, you have Job A and Job B. Job A has all the credits but Job B does not have any.

I'm not sure if you can allocate them online, but if you can't, ring (or call in) to Revenue and they'll help you adjust your credits and send a Tax Deduction Certificate (TDC) to your employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What exactly is the procedure for claiming tax back on health expenses? I had surgery and visited the doctor a few times and got prescribed medication a few times in 2010- now on the website under "claiming health credits" it wants a cash figure for the year 2010- is this figure a combination of the surgery and doctors and medication or do you only claim the doctors/meds by handing in Med1 form, can anyone help? I have kept all receipts for the surgery and doc and medication. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I applied online over 2 weeks ago and still haven't recieved my pin in the post. Is this normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Shryke wrote: »
    I applied online over 2 weeks ago and still haven't recieved my pin in the post. Is this normal?

I got my PIN about 2 weeks ago, but yeah, it did take over 2 weeks for it to come. Might be a bit of a delay atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jonathanh

Hey, I am looking to claim tax back for last year, I worked from Jan to Sept then left the country for a year, so I am looking to claim tax back for the remaining three months of last year. I set up my ros account but am having trouble using the online service. I have received my P60 and income levy form (in PDF form) from my employer but have no idea how to use them with the ros service?... I would consider myself fairely adept at using online services but am totally dumbstruck with revenue.ie?!? Anyone else find this?... Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated...

Oh yeah, I emailed my local revenue office four times and have heard nothing back... Kind of frustrating!!...

Cheers...

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 andrewchen

This sounds really cool. Gonna keep it in mind for future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Hey I'm looking at claiming tuition fees from 08/09.
    Can I do this through PAYE online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 manu81

due to my own stupidity i forgot to claim on aviva health insurance 2010. while not hugely significant i.e. just a few gp and dentist visits, its pretty pointless having health insurance if i forget to claim!

terms and conditions state you must claim 3 months after end of previous policy year.

my question is: can i claim for them using med1 form instead? even though there was a tax credit built into the annual health insurance subs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Gianangelo

Bit of a question for you.

I've been working full time this whole tax year i.e. from January, earning about 22k per annum.

I am leaving to go back to college in the next few weeks. Am I entitled to claim tax back?

If so, how much and how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hi there

Can anyone tell me how claiming tax back after redundnacy works.

I was made redundant in Dec 2010. Am I right in thinking the tax year runs Oct to Oct and I am only entitled to tax back for two months?

Also, prior to this I was made redundnant in May 2008. Cam I claim for that as well?

Any idea what I need to bring to my local tax office???

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Bobby1984

The tax year runs from 1 Jan - 31 Dec. All your tax credits are allocated either weekly or monthly between these dates. As you were made redundant in Dec, it is probable that any tax which you can claim back wont be a lot. What you need to do is to get a P21 balancing statement which will show if you have overpaid/underpaid tax for the year. You can register online for Paye Anytime at the link below.

https://www.revenue.ie/selfservice/enterRegistrationDetails.faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Bobby1984 wrote: »
    The tax year runs from 1 Jan - 31 Dec. All your tax credits are allocated either weekly or monthly between these dates. As you were made redundant in Dec, it is probable that any tax which you can claim back wont be a lot. What you need to do is to get a P21 balancing statement which will show if you have overpaid/underpaid tax for the year. You can register online for Paye Anytime at the link below.

https://www.revenue.ie/selfservice/enterRegistrationDetails.faces

Thanks for that. I have registered. What about when I was made redundant in May 08?

Will I get anything for that? How do I go about it. Any ideas?

I am not registered on there so cant be 100% but there should be an option to go back to any of the last 4 years to see if you have overpaid tax. It depends on how long you were out of work for in 2008 after you were made redundant.If you didnt work at all for the rest of the year you could possibly get back most of the tax you paid in the first 5 months but this depends on how much you earned, your tax credits and your standard rate cut off point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If I can hijack this question a minute...

I sent in forms recently claiming tax back following redundancy. I received a letter dated 22 July, which only stated my bank details and asking me to contact the revenue if the details were incorrect/do nothing if they were correct.

I assume this means I will be getting a refund, but does anybody know how long it takes for this payment to come through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

The tax year ends in December so you are owed money back yes. The amount will be whatever your unused tax credits for the last few months entitle you to. Just do a tax return at the end of the year.

The difficulty is if you want the tax back now. Make sure you have a P45 and maybe go down and have a one to one chat with Revenue. I know I've done it before when I worked for the summer - if you can prove you are in college they'll do an early return for you. Maybe :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

I'll add that this used to be the case for students. I know I got my tax refund early. However this may have changed and you might have to sit it out until the end of the year. The tax office in Dublin is off O'Connell St (go early!) and they can advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

I am just workin a year in a part time job..Just wondering is there anyway to get tax paid back??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yes.

for the year end 2010 (and at the end of this year) you can request a P21 Balancing Statement form. The revenue will work out if you are owed tax back or if you need to pay any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

yes.

for the year end 2010 (and at the end of this year) you can request a P21 Balancing Statement form. The revenue will work out if you are owed tax back or if you need to pay any.

Is there much to doing this.??..the company sorts all the tax out I think...Is there some emergency tax or something...just heard some friends talking about how they got tax back

• Advertisement

trepasers wrote: »
    Is there much to doing this.??..the company sorts all the tax out I think...Is there some emergency tax or something...just heard some friends talking about how they got tax back

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/p21-balancing-statement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foghlu77

Hi,

My partner and I are not married, I work FT and she works PT and we have a 2 year old son yet we still get taxed the same as 2 single people even though we're co-habiting for years!? I've looked on the site and can find no way that I or my partner can claim for our child?

foghlu77 wrote: »
    Hi,

My partner and I are not married, I work FT and she works PT and we have a 2 year old son yet we still get taxed the same as 2 single people even though we're co-habiting for years!? I've looked on the site and can find no way that I or my partner can claim for our child?

yep, only married people can be assessed differently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me as this is like a different language to me..

I think I am entitled to tax money back from 2010 as I only worked 3 months full-time. What is the form I need to get to apply for this?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Morzadec wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me as this is like a different language to me..

I think I am entitled to tax money back from 2010 as I only worked 3 months full-time. What is the form I need to get to apply for this?

Thanks in advance

Think thats my situation too - for last year. I have my pin number and logged in but I can only find info on how to claim tax credits not a tax refund. Double dutch to me!

Whem you are logged in to PAYE Anytime there should be an option in there to request a review of a previous year or order a P21 balancing statement.

You can have your tax reviewed for the past 4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Bobby1984 wrote: »
    Whem you are logged in to PAYE Anytime there should be an option in there to request a review of a previous year or order a P21 balancing statement.

You can have your tax reviewed for the past 4 years

Okay must be a P21 I need then. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

How do i go about claiming for bin tax refund as i was told i can claim for the last for years as i never claimed before i use the bin tags but dont have the invoices or anything but the company collects the bin every week so is it worth looking into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

patwicklow wrote: »
    How do i go about claiming for bin tax refund as i was told i can claim for the last for years as i never claimed before i use the bin tags but dont have the invoices or anything but the company collects the bin every week so is it worth looking into?

You need receipts to back up your claims incase Revenue ever look for proof.

In order to claim it just log into your online account and input the amount into the service charges field under whatever year you wish to claim for.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it27.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Thanks for your reply no i never kept the receipts what a shame to lose out on a refund over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

patwicklow wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply no i never kept the receipts what a shame to lose out on a refund over the years.

Could you not even just claim for the yearly charge then ? Try ringing your bin company and see if they will give you invoices for the last four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Could you not even just claim for the yearly charge then ? Try ringing your bin company and see if they will give you invoices for the last four years.

You can claim a mx of 400 a year.
    Throw in this amount for the last 4 years, dont worry about receipts
    The tax man aint going to chase you up for this believe me.
    And if they ever do (will they really) im sure you could get receipts then.

alibabba wrote: »
    You can claim a mx of 400 a year.
    Throw in this amount for the last 4 years, dont worry about receipts
    The tax man aint going to chase you up for this believe me.
    And if they ever do (will they really) im sure you could get receipts then.

It's a big risk. A friend of mine put in a claim for the first time a while ago. €200 for doctor visits over a four year period. His claim is now under investigation.

If you claim €400 for bin charges you usually get back around €80, that's from my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

On thing I really noticed a difference was the medical insurance. My employer plays this for me, but I am still entitled to claim tax relief on it, so wasnt i a happy camper when a got a check back for over a grand last year cos i didnt claim this for last 4 years.
    Check it out, it cud be worth a nice bumper cheque in the post if its applicable to you.

Where do I go to claim this back in PAYE anytime for last year?

MuddyDog wrote: »

On thing I really noticed a difference was the medical insurance. My employer plays this for me, but I am still entitled to claim tax relief on it, so wasnt i a happy camper when a got a check back for over a grand last year cos i didnt claim this for last 4 years.
    Check it out, it cud be worth a nice bumper cheque in the post if its applicable to you.

Where do I go to claim this back in PAYE anytime for last year?

You cannot claim the medical insurance relief online. You need to send a letter to your local PAYE section from your employer showing the health insurance paid on your behalf in order to claim the relief.

You cannot claim the medical insurance relief online. You need to send a letter to your local PAYE section from your employer showing the health insurance paid on your behalf in order to claim the relief.

What if your not with that employer anymore ? I had 3 years medical insurance that my employer paid but i was taxed on it so i assume its a benefit in kind. Would that not be taken into account when you request a p21 balancing statement ?

Just trying to fill out the form required. How do I find the tax relief at source amount for section B? (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/medical-insurance-relief.pdf)

As far as I'm aware my health insurance is a 967 premium pre year that my company pays for so what figure do I put in for tax relief at source? I get 81.14 BIK on my payslip every month.

Also what do I put in for "The reduction applied for any Age-Related Tax Credit". I'm in my mid 20s if that's a help?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Paye anytime is always crashing and is a joke of a website.

I am having fierce trouble doing my return.

I cannot claim back my Rent credits as it says unavailable? Why? I have been paying rent in my current property since November 2010.

anyone else having such problems?

• Advertisement

What if your not with that employer anymore ? I had 3 years medical insurance that my employer paid but i was taxed on it so i assume its a benefit in kind. Would that not be taken into account when you request a p21 balancing statement ?

Unless your employer had been informing Revenue on their P35s for you, that they were paying medical insurance on your behalf, I would get a letter from them just to check it was done right. Get a letter stating how much they paid for you each year and submit it to Revenue.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it5.html

Just trying to fill out the form required. How do I find the tax relief at source amount for section B? (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/medical-insurance-relief.pdf)

As far as I'm aware my health insurance is a 967 premium pre year that my company pays for so what figure do I put in for tax relief at source? I get 81.14 BIK on my payslip every month.

Just ask your employer for a letter stating how much they have paid in anyone year for you and submit it to Revenue.

Also what do I put in for "The reduction applied for any Age-Related Tax Credit". I'm in my mid 20s if that's a help?!?!

Doesn't apply to you.

NickDrake wrote: »
    Paye anytime is always crashing and is a joke of a website.

I am having fierce trouble doing my return.

I cannot claim back my Rent credits as it says unavailable? Why? I have been paying rent in my current property since November 2010.

anyone else having such problems?

As the rules for the rent tax credit changed in 2011, you will have to make a claim using the rent tax credit clam form, rent 1, for your first ever claim.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/rent1.pdf

If you are having technical difficulties with the site email the roshelpdesk with the error message received or even better a screenshot.

Unless your employer had been informing Revenue on their P35s for you, that they were paying medical insurance on your behalf, I would get a letter from them just to check it was done right. Get a letter stating how much they paid for you each year and submit it to Revenue.

On PAYE online it does show a figure for medical insurance relief. On my payslip there is a Notional pay on benefits figure. Does that sound like my employer has already informed them ?

On PAYE online it does show a figure for medical insurance relief. On my payslip there is a Notional pay on benefits figure. Does that sound like my employer has already informed them ?

That's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

hi can anybody tell me how i can get my p.45 from my former employer.my former employer's buisness closed down i think she owed the tax man money however i was bein taxed and on my hours,now she refuses to answer the phone to me and i dont no her accountant,can anybody give me advice????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

(1) Rent Relief: Back in 2009 I first logged onto ROS.ie and ticked the box marked Rent Relief and entered my monthly rent. I have not been on ROS.ie since, but have recently applied for a new PIN so I can do so again. My question is: because I ticked that box online in 2009, have I gotten extra tax credits since? (I have moved twice since then and my rent is higher now). Do I still need to submit a Rent Relief form to get money back from revenue, or have I already gotten this in the form of credits? Do i need to update my details e.g every year?
    (2) In 2008 I worked for 6 months and then went traveling. I finished work in June 2008 and started again in April 2009. Can I claim a refund of unused tax credits from when I was not working? How do I do this?
    (3) Who should apply for Income Levy refund? I have no idea if I overpaid or not - should I apply in case I did overpay?

candycock wrote: »
    hi can anybody tell me how i can get my p.45 from my former employer.my former employer's buisness closed down i think she owed the tax man money however i was bein taxed and on my hours,now she refuses to answer the phone to me and i dont no her accountant,can anybody give me advice????

Inform Revenue who will issue a letter to your former employer. It may take months though. Contact your local paye section.
    Or contact NERA who may be of more assistance.

Svalbard wrote: »
    (1) Rent Relief: Back in 2009 I first logged onto ROS.ie and ticked the box marked Rent Relief and entered my monthly rent. I have not been on ROS.ie since, but have recently applied for a new PIN so I can do so again. My question is: because I ticked that box online in 2009, have I gotten extra tax credits since? (I have moved twice since then and my rent is higher now). Do I still need to submit a Rent Relief form to get money back from revenue, or have I already gotten this in the form of credits? Do i need to update my details e.g every year?
    (2) In 2008 I worked for 6 months and then went traveling. I finished work in June 2008 and started again in April 2009. Can I claim a refund of unused tax credits from when I was not working? How do I do this?
    (3) Who should apply for Income Levy refund? I have no idea if I overpaid or not - should I apply in case I did overpay?

1. It should have carried forward each year since. You are supposed to update the rental records if you move or change the amount of rent paid. This is just for admin reasons. Login to your online account and you should see it claimed each year.

2. If you carried out a review (got a p21) for 2008, then you already received a refund based on used credits or rate band. When you started work in 2009 your unsed credits and rate band from the start of the year would have already been factored in your wages.

3 See here for income levy and USC. If you feel you meet any of the criteria, just drop your local PAYE section an email and ask for a review of whatever year you want.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/income-levy/index.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/usc/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Great relax carry on.
    It doesn't look like I am entitled to a refund on Income Levy or USC, unless my employer had a mistake. But of course any mistake may have been in my favour and an application for refund may in fact reveal I underpaid.

Another question: I was on sick leave for 5 weeks in 2009, got social welfare certs + sick pay from work. Where do I stand there? Can I claim unused credits, or were credits used as normal as if I had been at work?

Also, my medical insurance is with my dad's ex employers (he's retired) insurance policy. Dad pays for all the family and we pay him our slice. Can I claim for this, or can only my dad claim?

• Advertisement
Advertisement