Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got assaulted by the lodger in the house

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kangaroolala

Do you know any men that can help you evict her? As in, next time she leaves, grab all her stuff and put it outside, change the locks.

Yeah the concern is where to leave her stuff. My house is right beside a quiet road. There is no front garden but a backyard which has to be accessed through the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭This is it

Yeah the concern is where to leave her stuff. My house is right beside a quiet road. There is no front garden but a backyard which has to be accessed through the living room.

Boxes at the front door.

wandererz wrote: »
    Get the locksmith in to replace outer door locks and bedroom locks.
    Make copies of each.
    Don't tell the Argentinian guy until just before he returns home or he may warn the woman.
    Tell him that under no circumstances is he to let her in or he will be thrown out as well.

Let her know just before she is due to arrive that she is no longer a lodger there and her things are Outside waiting to be collected.

Take the day off work if you can and ensure your boyfriend and others are around to support you, especially around the time she arrives and through the evening.

As for deposit, ask her for bank details to be texted & you can do a transfer.

i asked for her bank detail since last week, and she refused and told me to leave the cash in an envelope for her.

How if she is kicked out?

It's not her room, she has no right unless of course you break or Rob her stuff.

Once out change lock, get into that room, bag everything and text her that everything is available to be collected.

Do not let her back in.

You have been advised now numerous times to not do this alone and if any more threats call 999 and ask for assistance as stated.

You need others with you.

I will video record everything if I gonna do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭This is it

i asked for her bank detail since last week, and she refused and told me to leave the cash in an envelope for her.

Obviously don't give her cash. Use something that provides proof of return of the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

Cashiers check in her name would do the job. You have a receipt and its made out to her.

Can be done at any bank counter. Only thing is though you would want her out of the house first.

Tell her she can collect deposit the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If she wants her deposit badly enough she'll give you the details. Don't even countenance anything other than a bank transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

How did she pay the deposit?
    Cash or bank transfer or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This is it wrote: »
    Boxes at the front door.
    This, so you can pass them out to her when she comes to collect. Don't turf them out on the road as others have suggested unless you want to potentially damage her belongings and draw this out further. Keep it professional. She doesn't deserve it but it's the best way to resolve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

TheChizler wrote: »
    This, so you can pass them out to her when she comes to collect. Don't turf them out on the road as others have suggested unless you want to potentially damage her belongings and draw this out further. Keep it professional. She doesn't deserve it but it's the best way to resolve things.
    I'd agree except this fruitcake has been physical before I wouldn't trust her not to barge in if the door was open to pass things out. OP if your gonna open the door to her to pass out her stuff you need a friend with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sorry to hear about your circumstances with this lodger, lots of good advice in this thread, as continually mentioned, make sure you have at least one man with you, preferably more than one person, to ensure she leaves in as peaceful a manner as possible, she is clearly a lowlife with experience in abusing other people's hospitality and homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jade2015

I havent read all the post replies,
    But change the locks and get a barring order from the court, get a statement off the gardai to say you reported her violent and threats to you or property. Have your boyfriend or friend stay over with you until shes gone. You already been given advise on getting a bunch of Basta keys from a hardware store for a deposit so take this advise. Take the morning off work tomorrow if you can and do this asap, and have a friend or someone with you when the person is due to return

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Her behavior is causing the lock to have to be changed. Also I’d feel justified in keeping the money as compensation for the hassle she is causing. She hasn’t a leg to stand on trying to get it back, not like she can go crying to the rtb etc she has no rights.

She can go to small claims court and based on what your response. She should give the money back.

Hassle doesn’t equate to keeping a deposit
    Bad behaviour that has led to no material damage doesn’t equate to keep a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fol20 wrote: »
    She can go to small claims court and based on what your response. She should give the money back.

Hassle doesn’t equate to keeping a deposit
    Bad behaviour that has led to no material damage doesn’t equate to keep a deposit.
    She has refused to pay bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Deposit is not usually given back immediately, so this is a few weeks off anyway. Next set of bills need to be received to determine what is owed on them.

OP, good luck tomorrow with the locksmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Leave her belongings at Garda station, then change the locks! she sees you as very weak so is taking advantage of your quiet nature, have a male presence there most of the time and be ready to record any conversations with her. She will leave but you must act tougher

She has refused to pay bills

I missed that. If she hasn’t paid bills. Then yes. Keep whatever bills are owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 antonboyle

Your a tenant & irrespective of subletting property this is an issue that the landlord should be sorting out.
    I would put the onus on him to resolve matter & tell him that tenant is intent on burning house & that you are fearful of your health & safety

antonboyle wrote: »
    Your a tenant & irrespective of subletting property this is an issue that the landlord should be sorting out.
    I would put the onus on him to resolve matter & tell him that tenant is intent on burning house & that you are fearful of your health & safety

It’s nothing to do with the LL and involving him is a very bad idea for multiple reasons.

So a tenant sources a new tenant to sublet to with no involvement from the ll but when there is now an issue with the new tenant. It’s the ll issue.... please explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Terrible idea....

LL if allows which they did, don't want the fuss I'm sure.

They'd prefer if the tenant sorts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Rubbish- ignore this and go with the advice on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Out onto the kerb with her stuff when she’s gone in the morning.bag and baggage.lifes too short to be suffering fools like her.send pedros stuff with it if they are a click.
    Out with the two wasters.
    The next crowd you get take no sh1te from the beginning.friendly but professional.
    Boundaries and respect.
    Rent on time.
    No messing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

The garda told me to go to the station to make a statement on Wednesday evening. But there are still three days before Wednesday.

Go down to the Garda station now and say that you are in Fear of your life. Don't take any ****e. Sit there trembling if you have to. This is not a Civil issue anymore as threats to life have been made against you.

OP You are in over your head with serious scum that will try anything to make your life a hell. Gardai all the way now... Be Strong.

Look into legal representation also asap.

Any action you make with BF present could lead to god know what... you dont know what this person is capable of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

OP I hate to be harsh but did you ask your LL if it was okay to sublet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

pinkyeye wrote: »

Were talking about a criminal matter, what does that have to do with anything?

Sorry you're being assaulted and threatened in your own home, but is subletting a violation of your contract with your landlord.

Completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

antix80 wrote: »
    Were talking about a criminal matter, what does that have to do with anything?

Sorry you're being assaulted and threatened in your own home, but is subletting a violation of your contract with your landlord.

Completely irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant though is it? In terms of what your allowed to do it's very relevant.

If you've broken the terms of your original lease then you're on shaky ground.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

pinkyeye wrote: »

Already asked and answered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

antix80 wrote: »
    Were talking about a criminal matter.

Mod Note
    You’ve hit the nail on the head here.
    OP, as this is possibly a criminal matter, you should go to the Gardai and/or seek legal advice.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement