Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 245 - Usman vs. Covington, Sat Dec 14th.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

xckjoo wrote: »
    I just did. See my other comment. Literally just watched it a dozen times. The only difference between my memory and what happened was there was a few glancing blows to the back of the head before Usman moved to punching around the arm and into the face.

It went, armpit, back of head, back of head, armpit, face, face, multiple blows to side of head until ref stoppage. Colby didn't have a leg either. Was never close to closing his hands. They were on the legs but never active. Colby was more done than I originally thought.

Can you share the gif?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Can you share the gif?

Hes clearly done. Fell from a weak punch and then basically didnt move.

WarmGiftedHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif
    HiddenThirstyJohndory-size_restricted.gif

The Nal wrote: »

Neither show the finishing shots i'm afraid. I remember clearly seeing shots to the back of the head.

Maybe i'm mistaken. If I am, fair enough. If not, then it doesn't really matter whether he moved or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Neither show the finishing shots i'm afraid. I remember clearly seeing shots to the back of the head.

Maybe i'm mistaken. If I am, fair enough. If not, then it doesn't really matter whether he moved or not.

Wasn't sure if were allowed post links to it but this one is fairly complete
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MatureUnimportantCrossbill-mobile.mp4

xckjoo wrote: »
    Wasn't sure if were allowed post links to it but this one is fairly complete
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MatureUnimportantCrossbill-mobile.mp4

I can see the argument that they're the side of the head. However, I think they are shots to the back of the head.

I think Goddard was very quick to stop the fight. He didn't really give Colby a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Nal wrote: »

WarmGiftedHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif
    HiddenThirstyJohndory-size_restricted.gif

Its the most half hearted grab for his legs too. He was done, no point taking more punishment for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I can see the argument that they're the side of the head. However, I think they are shots to the back of the head.

I think Goddard was very quick to stop the fight. He didn't really give Colby a chance.
    Ya I get you. You could debate all day if it's the back or side of the head. I'd consider all but the first couple to be side. If it was just that knockdown I'd say Goddard was too quick, but taken as a whole I think it was fine. Colby was on autopilot by then and Usman was all over him. Goddard saved him some punishment.

Theres about 20 unanswered shots there inc both knockdowns. Colby nearly collapsed trying to throw that last punch.

He was exhausted, his jaw was broken and his face was covered in blood. He was done. Good stoppage.

Some people like to see fighters unconscious before a fight is stopped I don't get it. The ref takes the whole fight into account, if he has a suspected broken jaw that is going to effect the refs judgement when he's laying lifeless on the ground in the closing minute. How much damage has he taken to the head? How many cuts? How much blood is there? All of these are taken into account.

• Advertisement

Big John McCarthy has said before that a ref is always looking for things that people in the crowd, or at home, will never be able to pick up on.

He said referees take the minutest of details into account when refereeing. He mentioned something about when a fighter is bleeding, he'll know by the way they're breathing if they're safe to continue or if the blood is obstructing the airflow.

It was very interesting. I'm not sure if it was on Rogan's podcast or his own one.

You can see Goddard talking to Colby too. Assuming saying "show me something" or whatever they usually say. Said it 2 or 3 times and nothing. Time to stop the fight.

Goddard has about 15 years experience I trust his opinion. It's easy to criticize watching on TV but they have the lives of fighters in their hands. Do they make mistakes? Absolutely as done any ref in any sport, they are only human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Anyone that disagrees with that stoppage is retarded.

Covington was done. Great refereeing by Goddard.

As someone said earlier, the lust for people to see a guy unconscious is crazy. He was cooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

He didn't really give Colby a chance.

A chance to accept more damage? What would the point of that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MrStuffins wrote:
    He gave him a chance, he didn't stop it the first time he went down, he stopped it when he got back up got hit again and went down again with Usman going in for the kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ariel reporting colby got a flat 500k no PPV points.. Usman did

dave1982 wrote: »

When you take out taxes, expenses, cost of camp etc its really **** all for what you put on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Effects wrote: »
    A chance to accept more damage? What would the point of that be?

Finally caught up with seeing this fight and agree with this. Marc Goddard saved Colby from himself and I don't think there was any way Colby was recovering from that position when the fight was stopped. Some shots to the back of the head in the ending but I believe Usman had the presence of mind to adjust and start to change his shot placement.

Had it 2-2 in my head going into the 5th and Usman taking the round after the first knock down shy of an actual miracle from Colby.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

dave1982 wrote: »

It's no win bonus, not no ppv points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,602 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's no win bonus, not no ppv points.
    A flat fee means no win bonus. Ariel is talking about no ppv points on top of the flat fee

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/28321467/forget-nunes-shields-harrison-fight

• Advertisement
Advertisement