Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

Hey guys, Thanks for the feedback about the Christmas Around the World Feature, we'll keep it in mind for next year. As you can understand we're a volunteer station and its hard to get our volunteer presenter to fill up a full schedule on Christmas day. We're live till tomorrow, 26th which is our last day and will have the usual presenters back on for the last day.

So overall what did people think of the station this year?? Any suggestions for next year??
    I found it a delight to listen to. Glad there were no news bulletins with depressing economic stories. If I was to look for a quibble then perhaps the library of music could be increased? I found I heard the Pogues a million times. But that's probably because I was listening so much (and donating). Will tune in tomorrow to wish it goodbye until (hopefully) next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hey guys, Thanks for the feedback about the Christmas Around the World Feature, we'll keep it in mind for next year. As you can understand we're a volunteer station and its hard to get our volunteer presenter to fill up a full schedule on Christmas day. We're live till tomorrow, 26th which is our last day and will have the usual presenters back on for the last day.

So overall what did people think of the station this year?? Any suggestions for next year??

At the risk of sounding like a Grinch, I was a bit dissapointed to be honest.
    There seemed to be the same songs on a loop on every show and some that I expected to get played more just didn't.:confused:

Also someone please keep the Cracker jokes away from that morning DJ :P

On the plus side, my Jumper got rave reviews and loads of people thought it was a great idea. Can you put me down for another one next year?:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I understand about it being a volunteer station and fair play to all those who gave their time to such a worthy cause, but after listening for nearly a month, the actual Christmas day broadcast was such a let down. :(

(Also- the morning DJ's kept getting the time wrong, saying, for example, it was 9.30 when it was 9.00 and that kind of thing- scaring the life out of me frequently on my way to work! :eek:)

All in all, a fantastic station though, can't wait until next this year!! :D

So since I posted in this thread around the same time last year (and it was OK with the mods then)....Can I ask if Christmas FM will be broadcasting again this year? Will it also be on at the start of December again and, most importantly, available in Limerick?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Yep, were definitely back again this year. We still haven't confirmed frequencies and territories, most likely the same ones as last year and streaming online, plus the Xmas FM APP.

We'll start late Nov (probably 28th /29th) and close down on the 27th of Dec.

Posy - Sorry you felt the xmas day broadcast let you down. It's hard to get the professional guys who are on paid radio every day as well to give up their xmas dinner with the family. I might do one of the Xmas day shows myself this year though if the program director lets me, not sure if that will make it better or worse :D

Washiskin - This years jumpers are absolutely cheeserific (and we have girl versions too for the first time), I'm gonna go out on a limb and promise you'll be impressed. Music wise statically people only listened to that station for 20 mins at a time on average, so it's a hard mix between getting them to hear their favourite songs and not over playing them. We do have rules about the same song not being played in less than two hours.

We're a democratic station so any songs you want on the play list, let us know and I'll pass them on to the program director who decides on what gets play listed.

Lastly this really made me smile that others are thinking about Christmas FM in the summer. I thought I was the only nutter up to my ears in Christmas stuff preping for something 4 months away.

• Advertisement

Lastly this really made me smile that others are thinking about Christmas FM in the summer. I thought I was the only nutter up to my ears in Christmas stuff preping for something 4 months away.
    Oh nutters and the Christmas forum go hand in hand! :D Thanks for the reply....can't wait for Nov 28! Christmas comes early :) By the way am I correct that you say statistically people only listen to Christmas FM for twenty minutes? I'm amazed! I have it on all day.

Obviously some listen more than others, but mostly people tune in for a brief visit while in the car or cooking dinner etc. It's the same with nearly all radio stations.

The number of times in the station when you've just played fairy tale in new york and mins later you start getting more requests for it is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I am so looking forward to its return. I tune my car radio to it and listen whenever I'm driving. Love it:D

Does anyone know where I can listen to last year's song contest winner? Christmas Time by Snow Business I think it was. I suppose I'll just have to wait 'til November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Washiskin - This years jumpers are absolutely cheeserific (and we have girl versions too for the first time), I'm gonna go out on a limb and promise you'll be impressed. Music wise statically people only listened to that station for 20 mins at a time on average, so it's a hard mix between getting them to hear their favourite songs and not over playing them. We do have rules about the same song not being played in less than two hours.

We're a democratic station so any songs you want on the play list, let us know and I'll pass them on to the program director who decides on what gets play listed.

Thanks for the reply on the repetition Ronan, fair play to you - I'm one of the people who will have it on all day - and as for "Fairytale of New York" it was my late Dad's favourite Christmas song so needless to say 50 times a day is a-ok!;)

As for the Jumpers - I can confirm that they the mix of wool was very comfortable and that they wash well - I just washed mine last week to freshen it up and it was perfect. SO looking forward to adding another one this year. :cool:

When will the website go live?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Does anyone know where I can listen to last year's song contest winner? Christmas Time by Snow Business I think it was. I suppose I'll just have to wait 'til November.

is there a list of all the finalists for that contest actually? I absolutely loved another one of the songs (one guy, one guitar, a gorgeous acoustic song) but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it and I want to try and track it down for this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

I'm listening to it on my car radio right now...

timemachin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

g'em wrote: »
    is there a list of all the finalists for that contest actually? I absolutely loved another one of the songs (one guy, one guitar, a gorgeous acoustic song) but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it and I want to try and track it down for this year :)

nvrmind, found it, it was Garrett Wall - How Christmas Was Meant To Be

VanZan you can listen to the Christmas Time song here (although I couldn't get it to work :\)

I'm such a TIT, I just realised I never posted up the most important part.

Last year we Raised €81,719.14 for Barnardos, not including those generous donators who lodged money directly into their account.

Finalists for 2010's christmas fm song competition were:

SONG A: Garrett Wall – How Christmas was meant to be
    SONG B: The Allstars – Over the Rooftops
    SONG C: The Best Men – This is Christmas to me
    Winner: SONG D: Snow Business – Christmas Time (They've made it private on You-Tube for some reason I'm afraid).

Site will be re-done, but some of it is still live. As you can imagine not much interest in it this time of year and It's another one of our volunteers that must get all the credit for the site, I assume it will be fully working mid November again.

g'em wrote: »
    nvrmind, found it, it was Garrett Wall - How Christmas Was Meant To Be

VanZan you can listen to the Christmas Time song here (although I couldn't get it to work :\)

Found that too and it's not working for me either. On one of my first Google searches I actually found a short sample clip. It's tormenting me because I just can't find even that anymore. I was thinking about emailing the school but I'd probably seem a loon at this time of year.

Found it for sale and a short clip here. Thank heavens for Firefox History.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

You have no idea how happy I am to hear that Christmas FM is coming back this year, I love it !! and I miss it throughout the year, I remember last November when you launched it was morning time, I think you launched at 8am and I was waiting for a train into Dublin, standing on the platform with the Radio on my phone on the frequency for the station listening to the test loop you had on then it was officially switched on and the snow began falling again (the platform was already in one foot deep snow at the time) I think I will always remember that morning. It was when I knew Christmas officially begun last year for me. The snow last year was amazing and I will remember last Christmas forever and having Christmas FM constantly on wherever I went just made it a whole lot better. :D Roll on November !! :)

Be sure to let us know what charity it will be in aid of this year when you know! :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

This is funny.. I'm currently moving office location in work, and where I currently am it's s hard to get any well known radio stations so getting xmas fm was not an option and today I mentioned to my colleagues that I couldn't wait to move so that the radio will be able to pick up Christmas fm. I was shot down... but I just starting singing chirstmas songs to lighten the mood :D

Where can one get the jumpers????

Posy wrote: »
    Be sure to let us know what charity it will be in aid of this year when you know! :)

This year we've chosen one of my favourite charities - Focus Ireland as our charity. Because we're very community focused and the homeless situation is getting worse in the recession.

@ChewChew The Christmas FM Jumpers will be available on The Christmas FM site (via TheCostumeShop.ie). They should be available the first week in November. Quick note on the Christmas FM Jumpers and sorry if im repeating myself, but I think it's really important that we are completely open on this. We use the proceeds from the Christmas FM Jumpers and the Main Sponsors contribution to cover the running expenses of the station, the equipment, broadcast towers, tea for the studio and set up fees etc. This is how we don't run ads (plus we aren't allowed as a temp station). All staff are volunteers bar one person who is given a small wage because we need someone in the radio station all the time to co-ordinate everything and the organisers have full time day jobs. If there is remaining money at the end of the year (hasn't happened yet) it would either go toward the next year or the charity. Where as the donations, texts etc go 100% to the charity. Just wanted full disclosure and understanding on that, so people understand it's a not for profit station.

We discussed today organizing a "wear a christmas jumper to work" day in December. Do people think this is a good idea?? The idea being people would ask why your wearing it and then more people would find out about ChristmasFM, hopefully support Focus Ireland and maybe some people might collect a few quid if suitable in their office. Good or bad idea?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We discussed today organizing a "wear a christmas jumper to work" day in December. Do people think this is a good idea?? The idea being people would ask why your wearing it and then more people would find out about ChristmasFM, hopefully support Focus Ireland and maybe some people might collect a few quid if suitable in their office. Good or bad idea?

I think its a very good idea, some of the guys in the office were thinking of doing a Christmas tie/jumper day for work this year for charity, I'll be happy to suggest we do it in aid of Christmas FM.

We will also be donning the Christmas FM jumpers on our 12 pubs of Christmas, and will do a bucket collection on the night out for Christmas FM on the night also :)

We discussed today organizing a "wear a christmas jumper to work" day in December.
    I am always tempted to wear a Christmas jumper EVERY day in December so that sounds great!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cormakazam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

Could you please ban that poxy christmas shoes song this year? as it makes me well up everytime I come on. It's just misery wrapped up in a song! I turn off the station every time it comes on, and so do all my family1

thank you kindly :D

jimdeans wrote: »
    Could you please ban that poxy christmas shoes song this year? as it makes me well up everytime I come on. It's just misery wrapped up in a song! I turn off the station every time it comes on, and so do all my family1

It's a debate we had last year alright, It's definitely a love it or hate it type song. Problem is it's also one of the most requested songs on the text number - which is how we raise money for the charity partner, so it's a bit of a difficult call. I'll be pushing for it to be on low rotation.

jimdeans wrote: »
    Could you please ban that poxy christmas shoes song this year? as it makes me well up everytime I come on. It's just misery wrapped up in a song! I turn off the station every time it comes on, and so do all my family.

thank you kindly :D

I've no problem with that one. It's "Straight No Chaser" which does my head in! :mad: Also I requested "Christmas Time is Here" by the "Vince Guaraldi Trio" last year. The DJ nearly had a stroke trying to pronounce "Guaraldi" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Will Christmas FM be extending it's coverage area into North Tipperary as my family and i love the station and listened online last year. We would love to be able to listen to Christmas FM on the radio.

Will Christmas FM be extending it's coverage area into North Tipperary as my family and i love the station and listened online last year. We would love to be able to listen to Christmas FM on the radio.

Not sure about the frequencies available in different reigons and the state of the temporary license just yet. At the moment we are trying to finalise the sponsors for the station and once we know how much they are sponsoring we will have a budget to work out how far and wide we can broadcast.

@VanZan I think i know which DJ it was :D and trying to decide on which christmas songs are which side of good taste is something that different DJs tend to vary opinions on. We do try to black list as many bad ones as possible.:)

I've no problem with that one. It's "Straight No Chaser" which does my head in! :mad: Also I requested "Christmas Time is Here" by the "Vince Guaraldi Trio" last year. The DJ nearly had a stroke trying to pronounce "Guaraldi" :D
    Oh, I love Straight no Chaser!!

HATE Christmas Shoes though.

1. It's probably a scam the kid pulls every year.
    2. What child knows his mother's shoe size/taste in footwear?
    3. "Daddy says there's not much time.." So his mother's dying & the dad sends him racing off to the shoe store?!
    4. Why say "I want to buy these shoes.." when you don't have the readies?
    5. Wouldn't the money be better spent on medicine/blankets/food for the (alleged) sick mother?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

Posy wrote: »
    Oh, I love Straight no Chaser!!

HATE Christmas Shoes though.

1. It's probably a scam the kid pulls every year.
    2. What child knows his mother's shoe size/taste in footwear?
    3. "Daddy says there's not much time.." So his mother's dying & the dad sends him racing off to the shoe store?!
    4. Why say "I want to buy these shoes.." when you don't have the readies?
    5. Wouldn't the money be better spent on medicine/blankets/food for the (alleged) sick mother?

:pac:

Clearly you have not seen the christmas movie "the Christmas shoes" the song is based around the movie, personally it is one of my favourite films to watch each year and although the song is kind of annoying i like it just like I like all Christmas songs, you can watch the movie on YouTube btw :-)

Advertisement