Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Drogheda be a city?

Options
2»

Comments

I've a sister up in Drogheda, know it well.

Apparently the IDA is encouraging companies to set up in Dundalk not Drogheda, despite it being much closer to Dublin and the airport.
    Dundalk control the Louth budget and there's some long fued between them and Drogheda.

City status would give them more control of their budget.

I understand the points, but I really don’t see the connection between who controls local administrative budgets and the IDA promoting Dundalk over Drogheda. For me, it’s a post hoc fallacy. Maybe Dundalk is better at lobbying IDA?

I live in Drogheda (and have for the last 20 years) and I enjoy it here. Great efforts are made to make the town look nice, especially the planting on bridges and in the town.

But an awful lot could be done to improve the town, particularly in terms of traffic management, in my view. The current approach seems to be to make it as hard as possible to get through and around the place. The traffic lights (in the main) aren’t intelligent, they work in opposition/defiance of the next set of lights, there is an infestation of road humps in the oddest of places, and West Street could best be described as half baked - and half finished - attempt at a pedestrian zone. Becoming a city won’t change any of that. Making it an attractive and easy to use place will encourage businesses and people to locate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

BQQ wrote: »
    This ^^

A rare sensible post with genuine insight that will be lost in the flood of parochial "it's a sh*thole" style comments.
    Its a ****hole!!biggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Drogheda is a small dormitory town wedged into a small valley.
    Future city, No.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I understand the points, but I really don’t see the connection between who controls local administrative budgets and the IDA promoting Dundalk over Drogheda. For me, it’s a post hoc fallacy. Maybe Dundalk is better at lobbying IDA?

I live in Drogheda (and have for the last 20 years) and I enjoy it here. Great efforts are made to make the town look nice, especially the planting on bridges and in the town.

But an awful lot could be done to improve the town, particularly in terms of traffic management, in my view. The current approach seems to be to make it as hard as possible to get through and around the place.

Then maybe I can see the problems easier from the outside.
    A few plants on a bridge isn't going to help anything accept a bunch of senior citizens who judge the tidy towns competition.

The toll bridge should be above Drogheda not splitting the town into two parts.
    It forces a lot of UK and local traffic through the town to avoid the toll bridge.

I know a mate working in Yapstone, an I.T. company in Drogheda.
    My sister and another mate commutes from Drogheda to Dublin city/South Dublin because there's no local I.T. companies.

Decentralization would help everyone.
    I.T. and finance companies would have lower rent, employees would accept lower wages (at least the commuting costs), traffic in Dublin would lower etc...

Hopefully this Covid 19 virus will actively decentralize jobs in Dublin city centre better than any inept politician could.
    The only thing going for Dundalk vs Drogheda is the zero experienced graduates pool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

41000 people how can it be a city
    100.000 should be cut off point

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    41000 people how can it be a city
    100.000 should be cut off point

The thing is, from my reading of the "Drogheda Leader" on the toilet a few months ago, was that Drogheda population was above 50,000 ?

Some of Drogheda is clipped in the South by Meath, loads of surrounding satelite villages not considered too. Would you consider Ranelagh/Rathmines as Dublin?

If all the I.T. jobs weren't in Dublin, I'd consider trading down to move there for a better house. There's talk of the Dart going there in under five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A number of years ago one of the local councillors in Drogheda ( anyone from Drogheda will guess right first time) suggested that Drogheda should have its own airport!
    One reason he said was that Drogheda United could use it when travelling to away matches!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

BQQ wrote: »
    This ^^

A rare sensible post with genuine insight that will be lost in the flood of parochial "it's a sh*thole" style comments.

Its not a sh1thole.

It's a fcuking huge sh1thole! A fcuking huuuuuuggggeeee one!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Unfortunately I can't say I know much about the town of Drogheda other than it is known for it's gang related activity and drugs (media influenced)

It's up to the people and council to change that and make people like me want to visit it. So it should be working towards growing positively and becoming a city eventually.

Edgware wrote: »
    A number of years ago one of the local councillors in Drogheda ( anyone from Drogheda will guess right first time) suggested that Drogheda should have its own airport!

:D That has to be satire... I seen a FAA side calendar a few years ago where they marked the "mickey money" (child benefits) payments dates on the calendar.
    Probably only 5 mins airtime from Dublin airport to Drogheda, so must be a p*ss take. Although in fairness I think Louth is a Sinn Fein county so logic probably goes out the window.

• Advertisement

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't say I know much about the town of Drogheda other than it is known for it's gang related activity and drugs (media influenced)

Through various 2nd level in-laws, I know more than I should about this.
    It only takes about 20 people to destroy the reputation of an entire town.

Travellers vs non-travellers drug dealers, and only kicked off in the last few years when one botched murder attempt paralyzed the leader of the other. Which would probably harbour some unfavourable feelings for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've a sister up in Drogheda, know it well.

Apparently the IDA is encouraging companies to set up in Dundalk not Drogheda, despite it being much closer to Dublin and the airport.
    Dundalk control the Louth budget and there's some long fued between them and Drogheda.

City status would give them more control of their budget.

The IDA situation is messy as their park is actually in Meath, who are a pretty useless CC and I think there are very few companies in it. There was a submission to redraw the town boundary but Meath CC suddenly found they cared about a lot of commercial rates going missing.

Dundalk, according to Drogheda, has always been favoured. If you look at the companies in Dundalk it's fairly true. TBH the lack of attention is all a bit odd given that Drogheda now has a catchment area of about 70,000, far more than Dundalk could ever muster.

As for the politic, since the merging of town and county councils it depends what clout people have on LCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Edgware wrote: »
    One reason he said was that Drogheda United could use it when travelling to away matches!

Must be the one and only Frank G

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dundalk can capture cross border trade.

Drogheda is too close to Dublin.

Maybe Louth should just give it to Meath ?
    I'll upset the people of Navan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Doc07 wrote: »
    Must be the one and only Frank G

Top of the class!

Still he was better than the councillor in North Cork when adressing an after church meeting at election time who stated " I met a woman in the shops last week who's waiting 12 months to have a baby in Mallow County Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It wasn't a case of balancing things out. They both qualified under the same criteria, according to the BBC. The UK system does not need a big population to make a city. Plenty of places with small populations are cities.

It was a tale of two new cities in Northern Ireland on Thursday.
    Lisburn in County Antrim and the border town of Newry in County Down were celebrating after being granted city status in a competition to mark the Queen's Golden Jubilee.

The towns were judged on their notable characteristics, their historical and royal connections and their progressive attitude.

Please tell me that last line is satire

• Registered Users Posts: 20,492 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Please tell me that last line is satire

No, straightforward reporting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/1872287.stm

Cant be its got to be some quality deep trolling from the BBC. I bet some lad in editing is laughing his arse off that he managed to slip that in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Drugheda

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's not big enough to be a city.
    What's the advantage of being a city anyway.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I don't know alot about the place so my question would be does it feel like a city or when you are living there does it feel like a typical Irish 1 street town just with bigger suburbs?

Kilkenny for instance definitely feels like a county town and no more a city than Ennis, Thurles or Castlebar.

Ennis, Thurles, castlebar are boring kips though and smaller. Thurles especially so. Complete dive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Would Tallaght or Swords not be bigger than any of the big towns around the country?

To me, they're just suburbs of Dublin as they form part of the continuous urban sprawl of the city. Their main streets still have village feels to them and until the 1970s, that's all they were.

road_high wrote: »
    Ennis, Thurles, castlebar are boring kips though and smaller. Thurles especially so. Complete dive

Ennis is nice but small and I agree about Thurles. What actually happens in Drogheda to make it less boring that the average county town?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Which county is it in , Louth or Meath ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Which county is it in , Louth or Meath ?

Both. But the main part of the town is of course in Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

OK just checked on Google maps, didn't know it was divided ... interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

If anything makes it deserve city status, it's having a rotting human head in a glass box on public display.

Advertisement