Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peat Briquette RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I'm not going to spend my entire evening reformatting your post but this is a good example of the nonsense. It works IF you also X and Y and Z and J and K. Those things can all be done without the heatpumps so add that all to the cost.
    I personally would have the heating off for about 7 months a year. I could get all my heating from crappy electric heaters for a under a grand a year. Yet if I'm building a house I'm supposed to spend €12k+ on something that'll be idle for most of the year and will never cover the cost. Complete nonsense.
    I'm currently living in a draughty old rental house and got a 2 month electricity bill, 6 weeks of which I was using electric fan heaters as my only heat source (November and December). Total bill was under €180 quid. They can **** off with heat pumps.

Whats worse about you not knowing what you're talking about is you dont even realise it, and yet you admit to living in a draughty old house, so you admit you have to be losing heat which is wasting money but complain about alternatives?

Do you also have cold showers for 7 months of the year too? or do you just not have any other heating/electricity costs?

Do you know what COP is? you are paying full whack for every kwh of electricity you consume with your "electric heaters", with heat pumps if the Coefficient of Performance of 3.5 you get 3.5kwh for the cost of every 1kwh

I find it hard to believe you have those heaters on all the time, even if set using a stat. I dont think most people are going to be as happy as you to

have cold showers and no heat as they get older, each to their own I suppose.

You arent going to get an efficient alternative for nothing, so there is going to be a payback, no set up comes with zero costs, either initial outlay or some maintenance.

Until it is determined what any individual house is going to need to heat the spaces and what the hot water demand is going to be, its not going to be possible to tell when that would break even or what the ongoing costs would be, but done right, overall it will work out cheaper.
    Heat pumps do need to be used in a certain set up, either built from scratch or retrofitted, but its possible to break even and end up with lower running costs.
    Bury your head in the sand if you want

1874 wrote: »
    Whats worse about you not knowing what you're talking about is you dont even realise it, and yet you admit to living in a draughty old house, so you admit you have to be losing heat which is wasting money but complain about alternatives?
    Yeah I'll get onto the landlord now.
    I'm not complaining about the house being draughty, my entire point is that even in a draughty house I need to spend very little on heating.
    Do you also have cold showers for 7 months of the year too? or do you just not have any other heating/electricity costs?
    Electric shower, sorry, let me add a fiver a month.
    Do you know what COP is? you are paying full whack for every kwh of electricity you consume with your "electric heaters", with heat pumps if the Coefficient of Performance of 3.5 you get 3.5kwh for the cost of every 1kwh
    Bord Gais is 5.6c per kWh
    3.5 times that is 19.6c per kWH. Wow! Such savings.
    I find it hard to believe you have those heaters on all the time, even if set using a stat. I dont think most people are going to be as happy as you to
    Good for you, and good for them. Would be nice to have a choice.
    You arent going to get an efficient alternative for nothing, so there is going to be a payback, no set up comes with zero costs, either initial outlay or some maintenance.

Until it is determined what any individual house is going to need to heat the spaces and what the hot water demand is going to be, its not going to be possible to tell when that would break even or what the ongoing costs would be, but done right, overall it will work out cheaper.
    Heat pumps do need to be used in a certain set up, either built from scratch or retrofitted, but its possible to break even and end up with lower running costs.
    Bury your head in the sand if you want
    "There's no way to know, but it will happen."
    "It's possibly, but it will definitely happen."
    Just a couple of contradictions you've put in there.
    I've got my numbers and my usage worked out. I've started using the gas more recently, not been using the electric heaters as it happens and at 20 quid per week (and now zero electric heating) the house is nice and comfortable for me, even in the middle of the coldest week of the year we just had.
    I only really mentioned the ****ty electric heaters as even though they're the most expensive way to heat a place the payback time on a heatpump would be the rest of my life.

Yeah I'll get onto the landlord now.
    I'm not complaining about the house being draughty, my entire point is that even in a draughty house I need to spend very little on heating.

Electric shower, sorry, let me add a fiver a month.

Bord Gais is 5.6c per kWh
    3.5 times that is 19.6c per kWH. Wow! Such savings.

Good for you, and good for them. Would be nice to have a choice.

"There's no way to know, but it will happen."
    "It's possibly, but it will definitely happen."
    Just a couple of contradictions you've put in there.
    I've got my numbers and my usage worked out. I've started using the gas more recently, not been using the electric heaters as it happens and at 20 quid per week (and now zero electric heating) the house is nice and comfortable for me, even in the middle of the coldest week of the year we just had.
    I only really mentioned the ****ty electric heaters as even though they're the most expensive way to heat a place the payback time on a heatpump would be the rest of my life.

Well, its not my problem or fault, Id say its not even your landlords fault
    they cant sort out the draughts and bar heaters.

You can highlight only selected bits in my post to suit a response you have in mind.

Id say its obvious it needs to be calculated what the demand is then payback period can be determined.

Youve no interest or have an ability to avail so why have a go at something you dont know or are even interested in, you sound annoyed you cant avail of something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

josip wrote: »
    I'll be happy if I can pass on a couple of centimetres of new bog to my children before I shuffle off.

Well I don't disagree but from current research it looks like we can only expect successful peat regrowth to take place in 30–40% of cutover peatlands.

I believe it may not quite be the panacea we would like it to be.

Jesus Christ. My point was that even in a draughty house it's cheap for me to stay warm.
    You can highlight only selected bits in my post to suit a response you have in mind.
    If you quoted my post properly in the first instance I wouldn't need to.
    Id say its obvious it needs to be calculated what the demand is then payback period can be determined.
    And if the payback period is longer than the lifetime of the heatpump?
    Youve no interest or have an ability to avail so why have a go at something you dont know or are even interested in, you sound annoyed you cant avail of something better.
    For me anything is better than a heatpump as things stand. So yeah, I'll be annoyed if I'm forced to put one in in the future if they still don't make economic sense.

The capital costs alone of a heatpump (before insulation) are more than what I would spend on heating for 15 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Enviro-preachyness is strong in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

theguzman wrote: »
    Every worker should have been retained and the two very modern plants kept open, they could have transitioned into biomass to feed the plants if they were any way interested. They coould burn straw and other sustainable green fuels. Fast growing GMO Eucalyptus could be grown with a 6-7 year rotation.

These bureaucrats from their ivory towers in Dublin 4 don't give a damn, however as a result we are one deep easterly period of sustained low pressure with subzero temperatures away from rolling blackouts as a result of the decimation of Peat powered Electricity. And with Peat fired fuel gone we should be seeing the PSO charge on our electric bills disappear? like hell we will. I hope when the blackouts come that South Dublin is the first disconnected from the grid.

They actually looked into the viability of biomass
    They discovered they would have to import the bulk of it to keep the plants producing electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

To be honest I will miss the day in the bog turning, footing or taking it out when it all finally comes to an end. Now I will admit to dragging my heals and complaining whenever I was asked to go there. But It was a big part of the rural life in my parts and throughout countryside. The self sufficiency in fuel was great back in the day and we always had a can of cider at the side of the bank when the final jog was out. Good memories ❤️
    Most of the commercial bogs where I am now are basically cut away but there would still be a fair bit of the blanket bog on the hills. This stuff was never viable to cut as it was never more than a foot and a half deep. You might get the odd stretch where you could get 5 or 10 hoppers out but that's all.
    I can tell a lot of the posters hammering the environmental stuff on what should be a thread about memories have never seen the benifits it gave to small communities throughout the land. They harp on about air to water systems which are sod all good with the housing stock we have up until early 2000s. Jesus try and imagine converting bungalow housing stock from the 80s and the cost that would incur alone. I think some guys and gals have to get of this crusade to stop all peat usage and accept that some amount of turf use has to be tolerated over the next 30 years while the last of the older generations pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

I have a new house,.three years old, 2400 sq ft, very well insulated , and the usual air tightness stuff that's in all houses now. But unlike most people these days I went with an oil boiler as opposed to a heat pump. Use ~600-700 litres of oil a year for heat and hot water. Installation was 10k cheaper than an heat pump. Priced both at the time. Bought oil for 38c last year. Cheaper than any heat pump for the year. Without even thoughts of the payback period on the installation.Expected life of a heat pump is ~12-15 years. Then your back for a good rodgering again. The efficiency you are quoting are not the efficiencies these units give during cold weather when you actually need them most. Like the week before last. When a house is insulated well you don't need a elaborate and expensive set up to heat it. People thinking heat pumps are economical in well insulated , air tight houses are blinded by the real contributor, the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭elperello

beerguts wrote: »
    To be honest I will miss the day in the bog turning, footing or taking it out when it all finally comes to an end. Now I will admit to dragging my heals and complaining whenever I was asked to go there. But It was a big part of the rural life in my parts and throughout countryside. The self sufficiency in fuel was great back in the day and we always had a can of cider at the side of the bank when the final jog was out. Good memories ❤️
    Most of the commercial bogs where I am now are basically cut away but there would still be a fair bit of the blanket bog on the hills. This stuff was never viable to cut as it was never more than a foot and a half deep. You might get the odd stretch where you could get 5 or 10 hoppers out but that's all.
    I can tell a lot of the posters hammering the environmental stuff on what should be a thread about memories have never seen the benifits it gave to small communities throughout the land. They harp on about air to water systems which are sod all good with the housing stock we have up until early 2000s. Jesus try and imagine converting bungalow housing stock from the 80s and the cost that would incur alone. I think some guys and gals have to get of this crusade to stop all peat usage and accept that some amount of turf use has to be tolerated over the next 30 years while the last of the older generations pass on.

Just a thought on the viability of converting old housing stock for elderly people.

In my experience most of the elderly turf users already have a shed to store it in.

Would it be more cost effective to just subsidise a load of good firewood delivered to their shed once a year?

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Just a thought on the viability of converting old housing stock for elderly people.

In my experience most of the elderly turf users already have a shed to store it in.

Would it be more cost effective to just subsidise a load of good firewood delivered to their shed once a year?

To be honest I wouldn't think so. It's not like we have the right sort of trees growing in abundance at the moment with most being spruce which are full of sap and in my opinion would need 3 years minimum in a shed drying before I would use it. Some might argue for mechanical drying but then you are forcing people to use certain vendors and I could see cartels forming with price increases Also with the Ash die back going to hit us over the next decade all we would have is Sally (willow to the non bloggers reading).
    It would just be more useful to issue lifetime licences to people aged 45 upwards to cut 1 plot of turf for personal use that would expiry on their death and would be non transferable.
    It would protect some of the people more in danger of fuel poverty and not load expensive retrofitting on them. I can see that coming as compulsory in the next few green edicts with grants available. But as anyone has ever availed of a grant knows it always comes with strings attached regards vendors and usually you have to fork out first before getting the cash. And a lot of people don't have the resources for that.

dh1985 wrote: »
    I have a new house,.three years old, 2400 sq ft, very well insulated , and the usual air tightness stuff that's in all houses now. But unlike most people these days I went with an oil boiler as opposed to a heat pump. Use ~600-700 litres of oil a year for heat and hot water. Installation was 10k cheaper than an heat pump. Priced both at the time. Bought oil for 38c last year. Cheaper than any heat pump for the year. Without even thoughts of the payback period on the installation.Expected life of a heat pump is ~12-15 years. Then your back for a good rodgering again. The efficiency you are quoting are not the efficiencies these units give during cold weather when you actually need them most. Like the week before last. When a house is insulated well you don't need a elaborate and expensive set up to heat it. People thinking heat pumps are economical in well insulated , air tight houses are blinded by the real contributor, the insulation.

Heat pumps are an option, for now, Im not telling anyone to get it.
    I dont get what you mean by the real contributor? compared to airtightness, is that what you mean.
    What do you call airtightness ACH? the figure you achieve?
    Id say airtightness is amost as or equal importance to insulation.

To be honest I wouldn't think so. It's not like we have the right sort of trees growing in abundance at the moment with most being spruce which are full of sap and in my opinion would need 3 years minimum in a shed drying before I would use it. Some might argue for mechanical drying but then you are forcing people to use certain vendors and I could see cartels forming with price increases Also with the Ash die back going to hit us over the next decade all we would have is Sally (willow to the non bloggers reading).
    It would just be more useful to issue lifetime licences to people aged 45 upwards to cut 1 plot of turf for personal use that would expiry on their death and would be non transferable.
    It would protect some of the people more in danger of fuel poverty and not load expensive retrofitting on them. I can see that coming as compulsory in the next few green edicts with grants available. But as anyone has ever availed of a grant knows it always comes with strings attached regards vendors and usually you have to fork out first before getting the cash. And a lot of people don't have the resources for that.

Yes , I agree if there was a shortage of firewood it would knock my idea on the head.

It's just that there is so much small old housing stock in those areas that the logistics and cost of converting them all to passive houses would be prohibitive.

Also the older people don't tend to like change and probably wouldn't like the disruption of getting builders in.

And as you mention the paperwork and admin required to get grants.

Most of those old houses could be improved a lot by fitting a stove and insulating the attic and leave the big job to the next owner.

Someone needs to do a paper on this and circulate it to rural TD's before we spend a fortune doing up houses to benefit the eventual inheritors rather than the current residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭riddles

Does anyone know why this hasn’t taken off. I know the vested interests wouldn’t be in favour of it but it seems like a really good idea using wind to keep reservoirs topped up and use hydro for generation.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/norwegian-energy-giant-spurned-15bn-irish-pumped-hydro-power-plan-36925962.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The ash dieback is going to have a major impact alright. It's everywhere now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I presume in the past 22 pages all those who say briquettes have been taught the right way to say it.

riddles wrote: »
    Does anyone know why this hasn’t taken off. I know the vested interests wouldn’t be in favour of it but it seems like a really good idea using wind to keep reservoirs topped up and use hydro for generation.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/norwegian-energy-giant-spurned-15bn-irish-pumped-hydro-power-plan-36925962.html

I don't know why that one didn't progress but there is a similar project proposed in Tipperary.

https://silvermineshydro.ie/

The ash dieback is going to have a major impact alright. It's everywhere now.

True I'd say the isolated Ash in a hedge should be OK but any small. Woods could be hit hard. Time will tell, we have a tendency in the Western world to see everything in a disaster movie setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

One thing about setting, lighting and cleaning out a fire is that it gets harder the older you get.
    They'll be able to stay in their homes in more comfort for longer with other types of heating.

One thing about setting, lighting and cleaning out a fire is that it gets harder the older you get.
    They'll be able to stay in their homes in more comfort for longer with other types of heating.

Cant imagine cleaning out a fireplace, havent done it in decades, getting solid fuel delivered, lugging it through the house, temp not easily controllable.
    Briquettes and turf are nice, nice for effect occasionally, but not convinced its worth it for supplying heat.

I disputed an engineer years ago about the cost of heating a house, insulated and airtight, but he went through the figures and then also asked me what percent of the time my heating was on. which was for part of the year, the minimum possible, his figures were for 24-7-365, as soon as I can, Im getting something done, because oil isn't going to stay at existing prices and everything could follow that. Have to ship fuel here with oil, or reduce our reliance on it. Costs for fuel always increases in the end, no matter what system you have its going up, somehow.

The problem is with people not knowing how to design/build/set up systems imo, need a heating engineer to design it and for it to work.
    I got spouted some bull$hit by installers at an ideal homes expo, some stuff was good, but a lot of people giving out cards for different methods of heating gave me a bad impression they would just lash it in and not do or even know how or what the calculations to be made where.

• Advertisement

That's true.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a quick cheap fix to replace turf.
    For people less mobile it wouldn't work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Heat pumps are an option, for now, Im not telling anyone to get it.
    I dont get what you mean by the real contributor? compared to airtightness, is that what you mean.
    What do you call airtightness ACH? the figure you achieve?
    Id say airtightness is amost as or equal importance to insulation.

What I meant by real contributor to the lower energy costs people see in new houses nowadays that are ran using heat pumps is the level of insulation and air tightness. Not the heat source.
    Was lumping both in together when I said insulation. Air tightness equally as important as insulation.
    What I was getting to was if the house has the correct levels of both insulation and air tightness you don't need a 12k heat pump to heat it. I had no heating for 6 weeks in my house when I moved in first during winter also. Went through a very cold snap at the end of that November and was able to heat the house in about ten minutes with two small electric fan heaters. Stayed warm for hours.
    For a lot of people with older houses heat.pumps are not an option as they wouldn't be fit to warm the house not alone warm them cost effectively. The banning of turf and peat will add to fuel poverty as a lot of people are barely getting by as is and don't have the finances to make major upgrades to there house that will make them economical to heat using any other means that fossil fuels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are modern nuclear plants more efficient and safer than previous ones?
    Not if you look at the construction flaws in the EDF EPR's. Thermal efficiency hasn't changed much because the limits are determined by the properties of water and phases of metals stuff you can't easily engineer around.

The bigger problem is you can't do nuclear power on the cheap. Stuff like the Korean fake parts scandal and delayed maintenance worldwide do not inspire confidence.

Even if you could do nuclear safe , clean and cheap all that investment could evaporate overnight if the political climate changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

That's true.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a quick cheap fix to replace turf.
    For people less mobile it wouldn't work as well.

I get your point, and the other poster's too. It's convenient and what some older people are used to.
    It's also very difficult to have to light a fire for your only heat. This isn't realistic for a lot of older people.

In my local area we have free fuel delivery from a range of suppliers, they'll put it where you ask, and they are delivering the hardwood briquettes now, not BNM peat briquettes. That would be a very like-for-like swap for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

riddles wrote: »

Wouldnt know the ins and outs but would assume there would be compulsory purchases and blocking rights of way , these projects seem to go out of the way to alienate locals rather than getting them on board, the case where the ESB got the old woman sent go jail for objecting to them cutting her trees was a turning point for many,

dh1985 wrote: »
    What I meant by real contributor to the lower energy costs people see in new houses nowadays that are ran using heat pumps is the level of insulation and air tightness. Not the heat source.
    Was lumping both in together when I said insulation. Air tightness equally as important as insulation.
    What I was getting to was if the house has the correct levels of both insulation and air tightness you don't need a 12k heat pump to heat it. I had no heating for 6 weeks in my house when I moved in first during winter also. Went through a very cold snap at the end of that November and was able to heat the house in about ten minutes with two small electric fan heaters. Stayed warm for hours.
    For a lot of people with older houses heat.pumps are not an option as they wouldn't be fit to warm the house not alone warm them cost effectively. The banning of turf and peat will add to fuel poverty as a lot of people are barely getting by as is and don't have the finances to make major upgrades to there house that will make them economical to heat using any other means that fossil fuels.

I agree they are both very important (the 2 most important things imo), and if done right space heating might be achievable with MVHR, still need something to heat water, which I think solar thermal is more consistent and suitable than solar PV, (I read people saying its ok, but Im not convinced solar PV stacks up in Ireland, more because there is quite of a bit of electronic hardware that needs to be at certain EN standard).
    I think it might be possible to get something out of Heat pumps for hot water too.
    The problem with heat pumps is, they cant/dont ramp up the temp like traditional heating methods, they have to be left on a low setting all the time, but as you say, with adequate airtightness/insulation they might not even be necessary.
    imo the problem is that installers arent familiar with setting them up, any instal needs to be designed so the heat output will be known, failing that then there really is zero point in lashing a heat pump into a regular house without covering the basics (airtightness/insulation).

It warms the cockles of my heart to see the burning of peat dying, it really does

This thread, on the other hand, takes me back to a decade ago when petrol heads were arguing against EV's, hilarious stuff.

Time to move with the times lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It warms the cockles of my heart to see the burning of peat dying, it really does

This thread, on the other hand, takes me back to a decade ago when petrol heads were arguing against EV's, hilarious stuff.

Time to move with the times lads

No more than petrol cars Peat isn't dying out just coming from another country probably a less eco friendly one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ah the aul.peat briquettes. :)

They were a wonderful resource to throw on the fire in the family home growing up in the 1980s.

A couple of times in my college years in the 90s I was ripped off by small-time hash sellers with pieces of BNM briquettes... :D

Another old familiar gone....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Boomer Rant

Have the green mentals banned us from burning turf yet?

Advertisement