Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peat Briquette RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

theguzman wrote: »
    Every worker should have been retained and the two very modern plants kept open, they could have transitioned into biomass to feed the plants if they were any way interested. They coould burn straw and other sustainable green fuels. Fast growing GMO Eucalyptus could be grown with a 6-7 year rotation.

These bureaucrats from their ivory towers in Dublin 4 don't give a damn, however as a result we are one deep easterly period of sustained low pressure with subzero temperatures away from rolling blackouts as a result of the decimation of Peat powered Electricity. And with Peat fired fuel gone we should be seeing the PSO charge on our electric bills disappear? like hell we will. I hope when the blackouts come that South Dublin is the first disconnected from the grid.

I can't tell if this is satire or not so I'm gonna go with not to be safe.

The government that got the ball rolling on this was full of politicians from outside Dublin some of them were even from rural areas.
    I don't know what bureaucrats have to do with it to be honest except to fuel conspiracy theory and I could be wrong but would straw power a plant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Bruce Springsteen has finally got his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I'll miss Peat.
    He was a real funny guy.
    Last time I saw him he was on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Bruce Springsteen has finally got his way.

Don't you mean Spruce?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They cost €5.20 , you'll get a small bag of coal for €7.50-8.00, 40kg bag for €15, wouldnt consider them value for money any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

Where is the biomass coming from?

I thought gusman was proposing that the GMO Eucalypt would be grown on the bog and that in 6-7 years they'd have fuel to restart the stations?

josip wrote: »
    I thought gusman was proposing that the GMO Eucalypt would be grown on the bog and that in 6-7 years they'd have fuel to restart the stations?

Cant see the Greens signing off on anything GMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Got out two stoves to replace my open fires last year and they have drastically cut down on fuel .. a couple bales of briquettes a week to just start the fires really. After that it’s logs or coal .. one small load of stove coal nearly enough to keep fire going for the night.
    House built in year 2000 and we priced a pump system and it was crazy money and a lot of work .
    House isn’t particularly cold or drafty so heat pump definitely out of the picture for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Can't see the midlands being suitable for wind turbines. Not enough wind.

saabsaab wrote: »

Dont think those involved are too worried whether the wind blows or not, chasing subsidies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Eucalyptus trees set fire to half of Portugal recently. Absolutely awful idea having those things here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Cant see the Greens signing off on anything GMO

Policy driven by ideological purity, what can go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

harr wrote: »
    Got out two stoves to replace my open fires last year and they have drastically cut down on fuel .. a couple bales of briquettes a week to just start the fires really. After that it’s logs or coal .. one small load of stove coal nearly enough to keep fire going for the night.
    House built in year 2000 and we priced a pump system and it was crazy money and a lot of work .
    House isn’t particularly cold or drafty so heat pump definitely out of the picture for now.

Jaysus, built in 2000 and you have an open fire from then?? :eek:
    You have a gravity system? Sounds like a heat pump might have suited if its not draft or cold, although Id want it airtight properly.

Dont think those involved are too worried whether the wind blows or not, chasing subsidies

:( my christ,

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Eucalyptus trees set fire to half of Portugal recently. Absolutely awful idea having those things here.

Shouldnt really be bringing in non native species and from what I read earlier, it seems cutting down trees planted on cut raised bog is the first thing to do.
    IMO carbon capture to hold/fix carbon is only neutral if anything being removed to burn in stoves is also replaced, so it would need to be an ongoing project indefinitely. At some point, you either run out of marginal land to plant on (shoudnt offset farming land) so subsidies should only for land thats not arable OR you are going to reach a limit how much you can supply, as turning wood into pellets isn't carbon neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Where is the biomass coming from?

Why they have to say the majority of people in that town was black? Didn't got the connection between the factory and the racial make up of the town and its not the first united states video that I see they doing this.
    saabsaab wrote: »

Everywhere in this country is very windy almost all year its the biggest natural resource of this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Das Reich wrote: »
    Why they have to say the majority of people in that town was black? Didn't got the connection between the factory and the racial make up of the town and its not the first united states video that I see they doing this.

Its a far-left political activist site masquerading as a "news outlet", I'm just surprised they didn't somehow blame Trump for it. However discounting the obvious race baiting they do show up the obvious hypocrisy of this "Green" fuel of wood pellets for the masses, it would be better for the environment for these people to burn fossil fuel and it wouldn't destroy vast swatches of forest which may never be replanted or allowed regenerate again.

Probably similar to what people were saying around the country when BnaM was set up

Everywhere in this country is very windy almost all year its the biggest natural resource of this island.

I'm on the Northwest coast, when it gets cold theres no wind theres 13 turbines on a hillside that are static as often as they are turning

theguzman wrote: »
    Its a far-left political activist site masquerading as a "news outlet", I'm just surprised they didn't somehow blame Trump for it. However discounting the obvious race baiting they do show up the obvious hypocrisy of this "Green" fuel of wood pellets for the masses, it would be better for the environment for these people to burn fossil fuel and it wouldn't destroy vast swatches of forest which may never be replanted or allowed regenerate again.

Vice hasnt been left in a long time.

Forest can be regrown and replanted so thats nonsense to say "maybe" it wont.
    Fossil fuels will definitely run out no question

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Probably similar to what people were saying around the country when BnaM was set up

Turf was always a source of fuel, BNM would have been an industrialisation of the process and subsidies and PSO levies would have been thin on the ground back then

Pakistan has enough coal reserves to supply world demand for 400years, f##k knows how much gas reserves are under Siberia, Technology advances will make smaller oil deposits viable, the whole Luddite approach of the anti-fossil lobby is bizarre

• Advertisement

Turf was always a source of fuel, BNM would have been an industrialisation of the process and subsidies and PSO levies would have been thin on the ground back then

Nothing but honest hard working men taking a fair wage with no government subsidies Im sure

It's privately owned land, those people sold the logging for a quick buck, very little if any will be replanted, if left alone it will eventually regenerate back into forest, the danger is the land is reclaimed into farmland the forest lost forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Thats not accurate or even close, it is not a viable resource sufficient to put down turbines willy nilly that arent going to produce electricity.
    There are some locations that are viable, where its windy a lot of the year.
    There is no silver bullet solution, aside from the fact, wind turbines have a useful life, until measures are brought in to calculate the WHOLE cost or even how to recycle the non metal components (blades), unless their whole impact (co2) output (electric power) and savings (cost) is less than what it costs to produce electricity consistently and as efficiently by other means, we would just be kidding ourselves that windpower is the be all and end all and viable all over this island.

It is very likely always going to have to be a mix of renewables AND fossil fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

People are already bulk buying briquettes! :D

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I'm sure they can use toilet paper to start the briquette fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

That's really adding fuel to the fire.

1874 wrote: »
    Well Gas also has a large initial outlay, and NO, not the same price,and heat pumps are significantly more efficient, with insulation/airtightness/MVHR, could cost you the same to run the electric consumption for a fridge once paid off, payoff time depends on other factors, but lets say 8-10, even 15years, then exceptionally cheap to run all your heating needs, look up Passiv Haus.

I'm not going to spend my entire evening reformatting your post but this is a good example of the nonsense. It works IF you also X and Y and Z and J and K. Those things can all be done without the heatpumps so add that all to the cost.
    I personally would have the heating off for about 7 months a year. I could get all my heating from crappy electric heaters for a under a grand a year. Yet if I'm building a house I'm supposed to spend €12k+ on something that'll be idle for most of the year and will never cover the cost. Complete nonsense.
    I'm currently living in a draughty old rental house and got a 2 month electricity bill, 6 weeks of which I was using electric fan heaters as my only heat source (November and December). Total bill was under €180 quid. They can **** off with heat pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

1874 wrote: »
    Regarding restoring the wetlands, is it possible to artificially support that, if there is location with the right conditions, can you grow an appropriate plant material on one hand to store carbon/the other to cut and place in bogs to be subject to the processes that create bogs? is it possible to build them up with bio matter? if it is possible, it would seem to take generations, but it might assist in providing employment without drastically scaling back the workforce and the shock effects of that.

Boglands are complex bio-chemical systems in themselves that depend on a very specific range of environmental conditions . It has been calculated that peat deposition and buildup is in the order of just 1 mm per year.

We're going to be waiting awhile for peatland to reestablish even with the best intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

gozunda wrote: »
    Boglands are complex bio-chemical systems in themselves that depend on a very specific range of environmental conditions . It has been calculated that peat deposition and buildup is in the order of just 1 mm per year.

We're going to be waiting awhile for peatland to reestablish even with the best intentions.

I'll be happy if I can pass on a couple of centimetres of new bog to my children before I shuffle off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Of course they are! Must fill up one of my sheds with them before they run out with all the panic.

Advertisement