Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon-Dublin: when was the last flight and would it ever be viable again.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Once upon a time, EI had a flight from Dub Ewr Dub cancelled due to low loads. I arrived in EWR to find a four hour delay due to this and they chartered an aircraft from Canada to do it. Didnt tell me in advance. (Herself lived in NJ so I could have stayed at hers a bit longer.) However, it only went as far as Shannon, so off one, and onto an EI for the hop to Dublin.

Serious pain in the ass, and no duty free. I asked on the charter and they said they did not carry any. I asked on the flight from SNN to DUB and they didn't carry any as it was an internal flight. It was suggested perhaps I was asleep when the trolley came around :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

I recall Shannon executive aviation
    I believe a Mr Coulson was behind it , he has Armagh Glass these days
    Anyway
    A Shannon based metroliner did two or three roundtrips a day

I think it failed due no demand of any sought ever for the route

The metroliner was probably too much capacity but offered a good level of comfort and reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If the economy had continued pre-covid and congestion in Dublin had continued I was often thinking something like a Shanghai Maglev connecting Shannon and Dublin airports together with Shannon rebranded as Dublin West, a short twenty - 30 mins hop between Airports, it would have given Dublin complete weather proofing and the sort of project I'd throw in if we discovered some huge oil field off Kerry or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Maglev is insanely expensive to build — and the Chinese only run their line at full speed for some of the day because of the amount of power it uses.

I’d settle for a Shinkansen-type system connecting the major cities on this island. Not that it’ll ever happen, but Dublin to a Cork in an hour would be something.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Noxegon wrote: »
    Maglev is insanely expensive to build — and the Chinese only run their line at full speed for some of the day because of the amount of power it uses.

I’d settle for a Shinkansen-type system connecting the major cities on this island. Not that it’ll ever happen, but Dublin to a Cork in an hour would be something.

How about the Chuo Shinkansen? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

In the long term, and this is not a new idea, Maglev or similar high speed rail on this island is too parochial.

Maglev through the UK to Europe, with the main place being served being the Shannon Estuary, as with the reduction in oil usage, flights from Europe will be from Shannon to the East Coast of the USA, somewhere in the Maine area, with similar rail services there, and a massive freight hub for ships coming into the same area, and then on to distribution in Europe via rail, as even the fuel used to get to places like Rotterdam will be unacceptable.

It will take a long time, and a lot of vision to make it happen, but it will mean a significant reduction in carbon footprint in comparison to the present situation.

Won't be popular with a lot of people in high places, as they will lose their direct access across the Atlantic, but for a long time to come, that will be the only viable option, unless a new low weight high power alternative to oil is found, as things like producing Bio Fuel have the disadvantage of meaning food production will be affected, so many countries will be forced to choose between food or travel.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the days before aircraft were practical for transatlantic there was a plan for Blacksod Bay to capture all the liner traffic and have a high speed for then (90mph) link onwards to Dún Laoghaire and Rosslare so as to serve the UK and northwestern europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I wasn't being totally serious with the suggestion, but who knows in the future? Maybe we won't always be sending up giant powder kegs propelled by fossil fuels. The Virgin Galactic proposal where the spacecraft separates from a high altitude aircraft, might be less risky.

I reckon if Aer Rianta and the IDA got together on the idea they would at least milk it for all the publicity they could generate - actual possibility or not. Tie it in with some strategic secret tax breaks for the operators and we could be heading to the moon for our holliers from Shannon Spaceport, in no time. :)

It might be just as far fetched as when Foynes was first proposed as a transatlantic hub.

Fossil fuel? The Shuttle uses a blend of Hydrogen and Liquid oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dublin - Shannon - Boston and same return in Oct. 2007. Last time I had the Shannon stopover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I did JFK-DUB-SNN back in 2005, catching the subsequent DUB-SNN-Boston flight from Dublin as far as a I remember. My sister flew JFK-LHR-SNN the same day and we got into SNN together for our parents to pick us up. It was my first time ever in Dublin airport and only my second time ever travelling alone after the SNN-JFK outward leg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement