Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL 2020-2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Why can’t it be both? No need to have such a miserable outlook on it... pro players essentially finish work during the week the same time anyone working a 9-5 does, nothing to stop him going down to training to help out on a tuesday&thursday and helping out on match day when possible, not like he’s going to be doing 40+ hours of video analysis and the rest of the duties of a head coach.. not to mention both teams train in the same location so he can go directly from one to the other and obviously it will help bohs attract players coming out of school if they are offered the opportunity to pick the brain of an international
    Didn't mean to appear 'miserable'. Was just wondering aloud about the extent of involvement in coaching and training a professional player such as Tommy O D can give to a club when he's named as the 'contact skills coach'. As I noted, it's great to see him involved and good luck to Bohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Kolo Kiripati is bee Head Coach to Buccaneers RFC for 2020/21 Season

Management team as follows:-
    -Head Coach. Kolo Kiripati.
    -Assistant Coach. Henry Bryce.
    -Scrum Coach. Dave Henshaw.
    -S&C. Cormac Ward.
    -Senior Team Manager. Mickey Carroll.
    -Squad Manager. John Doyle.
    -Kit Manager. Martin Webster.
    -Recruitment & Senior Player Welfare Officer. Adrian Hanley.
    -Physio. Jack Manion, Ed Scully.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Didn't mean to appear 'miserable'. Was just wondering aloud about the extent of involvement in coaching and training a professional player such as Tommy O D can give to a club when he's named as the 'contact skills coach'. As I noted, it's great to see him involved and good luck to Bohs.
    But that he is a pro player has no real impact on the extent of involvement. Him being a pro player is just his job, no more than someone who works in the bank and has his/her coaching badges.

He has expertise in contact and can surely add value. Very often good player doesn’t make good coach, but this is a specific role that he has a lot of experience in and good for him. Would love to see more of it.

Lot of changes with us in Terenure, our entire u20s coaching staff is now being changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭luke9311

Lot of changes with us in Terenure, our entire u20s coaching staff is now being changed.

Skehan still about I take it he is?

• Advertisement

The school and 20's are doing a great job in supplying the Terenure firsts with quality players. When Nure are on song, they play some free flowing rugby and are a joy to watch. Thought Jamie Glynn was a big loss to them last season but I think they will be a handful for any team in 1A this season particularly if Marsh, Thompson and Brewer resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Stephen O'Neill is captain and Harrison Brewer is vice captain of Terenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Stephen O'Neill is captain and Harrison Brewer is vice captain of Terenure.

Good appointments - Think Stephen O'Neill is a really good player - very underrated.

luke9311 wrote: »
    Skehan still about I take it he is?

He is.

The school and 20's are doing a great job in supplying the Terenure firsts with quality players. When Nure are on song, they play some free flowing rugby and are a joy to watch. Thought Jamie Glynn was a big loss to them last season but I think they will be a handful for any team in 1A this season particularly if Marsh, Thompson and Brewer resign.

I don’t know, we sort of think we arent getting enough regular talent from the school/20s than we used to when we played/went there.

Adam La Grue and Sam Dardis (who can be hot and cold) are really the only two in last few years. We brought in two centres last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

I'd say Terenure College doesn't produce anywhere near enough players... is Skehan involved with the school at all?

I don’t know, we sort of think we arent getting enough regular talent from the school/20s than we used to when we played/went there.

Adam La Grue and Sam Dardis (who can be hot and cold) are really the only two in last few years. We brought in two centres last year.
    Oh, went to a match in Lakelands and the Terenure backs lined up as Mathew Byrne, Sam Coughlan Murray, Adam Lagrue, Stephen O Neill, Sam Dardis and James Thornton. I thought they were all school and/or 20's produced. Mea Culpa. Heard that one of the centres Nure signed last season worked out and the other one didn't.

Oh, went to a match in Lakelands and the Terenure backs lined up as Mathew Byrne, Sam Coughlan Murray, Adam Lagrue, Stephen O Neill, Sam Dardis and James Thornton. I thought they were all school and/or 20's produced. Mea Culpa. Heard that one of the centres Nure signed last season worked out and the other one didn't.

SCM went to newbridge, the rest went to Nure.

would still be higher percentage from the school than the rest of the old boy clubs
    I'd say Terenure College doesn't produce anywhere near enough players... is Skehan involved with the school at all?
    produce players for what levels. What's better for the sport a tiny number who go pro or vast majority playing the sport into 20s and 30s. It should always be the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

There was a load of infighting in the school a couple years back I heard over the rugby, the principal was a GAA head and brought in teachers who were GAA heads and shipped the Rugby ones on one way or another. He was moved away by the order recently and they're now getting rugby systems back in place I'm lead to believe and working with the club more (previous principal quite literally tried to cut the club off by way of a fence).

The club could still quite easily put out a team that'd do a job in 1A made completely of past pupils though which considering why the clubs there (the clubs never really over extended itself in pursuit of silverware) is probably considered a success.

would still be higher percentage from the school than the rest of the old boy clubs

produce players for what levels. What's better for the sport a tiny number who go pro or vast majority playing the sport into 20s and 30s. It should always be the latter.

I suppose so, but that’s always been the way. We all did it, just in last few seasons we haven’t had many making transition from 20s/school to the 1st team.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    There was a load of infighting in the school a couple years back I heard over the rugby, the principal was a GAA head and brought in teachers who were GAA heads and shipped the Rugby ones on one way or another. He was moved away by the order recently and they're now getting rugby systems back in place I'm lead to believe and working with the club more (previous principal quite literally tried to cut the club off by way of a fence).

The club could still quite easily put out a team that'd do a job in 1A made completely of past pupils though which considering why the clubs there (the clubs never really over extended itself in pursuit of silverware) is probably considered a success.

Not totally right but more right than wrong

Any other word on player transfers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭luke9311

Was thinking that myself I remember a Lansdowne 20s side (a good one at that too) season 13/14 and the league was decided on the Aviva back pitch in the final game between them and nure 20s that was riddled with talent most on that team were on that sct team year previously! I remember Stephen O’neill, brewer, Mike Murphy, Niall lalor, rob somerville and I think the likes of Ronan church, Creagh and borza the props and Roche the hooker were all on that 20 side season later some if not most of them names went onto ail team for them u don’t really see that now. That was a talented 20s team that year tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Skehan is involved with the school in a capacity where he's taking a group all the way through from 2nd Year I think with the goal to be SCT coach with them. Terenure should have beaten CWC in the Schools Cup but McGettrick tried to do everything and then played on with one leg for the second half. It is sad seeing Terenure slip away but they'll be back.

I think the club is always going to be in a good place, purely because they have the entire D6W community behind them. It's one of the best supported clubs in the country and a lot of very good people work in the club to keep it going at all levels.

• Advertisement

Not totally right but more right than wrong

Yeah I can never remember if it was the principal or just a carmelite with power that had it out for the rugby club. I heard he got a "promotion" away from the school though a while ago though and suddenly the school got a tonne of new rugby coaches in

AIL 1A News / Transfer Updates (As per this thread) - Please help fill in the gaps

Lansdowne
    Captain: Jack Dwan
    In: Ed O'Keeffe (Old Wesley), Tadgh McElroy (Clontarf), Kyle Dixon (Navan), Clive Ross (Lansdowne)
    Out: Craig Ronaldson (Naas), Tim Murphy (Naas), Will Fay (Old Wesley)

Terenure
    Captain: Stephen O'Neill
    In: Alex Thompson (Ulster), Harrison Brewer (Panasonic Wild Knights), Cathal Marsh (RUNY, St Marys)
    Out: Paddy Thornton (Wicklow)

Clontarf
    Captain: Matt D'arcy
    In: Alex Soroka (Trinity)
    Out: Tadgh McElroy (Lansdowne)

Ballynahinch
    Captain: ?
    In: Joe Dunleavy (Malone), Conor McAuley (Belfast Harlequins)
    Out: Conor Rankin (Malone), Clive Ross (Lansdowne)

Trinity
    Captain: Max Kearney
    In:
    Out: Colm Hogan (Old Belvedere), Alex Soroka (Clontarf)

UCD:
    Captain: Ronan Foley
    In:
    Out: Steve McVeigh (Monkstown), Jonny Guy (Travelling)

Young Munster:
    In: Danny Qualter (Nottingham), Pa Ryan (Shannon)
    Out:

Cork Con
    In:
    Out: Brian Scott (Retired)

UCC
    In:
    Out:

Garryowen
    In:
    Out:

Could be a really interesting year this year for transfers. A lot of colleges and offices looking to go remote at least initially so less incentive for players to sign for a club near where they work/study.
    Could lead to a mass redistribution of players

Top underage players and where are they joining:

Jack Boyle(LH Prop)
    Hugo O'Malley(LH Prop)
    Ben Popplewell(LH Prop)
    Lee Barron(Hooker)
    Ben Griffin(TH Prop) - DUFC
    Aaron Rowan(TH Prop)
    Mark Morrissey(Lock)
    Paul Deeny(Lock-Backrow)
    Will Hickey(Backrow)
    Jack Guinane(Backrow)
    Matthew Cullen(Scrumhalf)
    David Wilkinson(Outhalf)
    Charlie Tector(Outhalf)
    Fionn O'Hara(Outhalf)
    Marcus Kiely(Centre)
    Simon O'Kelly(Centre)
    Chris Cosgrave(Back Three)
    Ed Kelly(Back Three)
    Jamie Osborne(Back Three)

Think Kevin Seymour is still Garryowen captain

Ballina appointed JP Walsh as DOR and 1st team coach

Top underage players and where are they joining:

Jack Boyle(LH Prop)
    Hugo O'Malley(LH Prop)
    Ben Popplewell(LH Prop)
    Lee Barron(Hooker)
    Ben Griffin(TH Prop) - DUFC
    Aaron Rowan(TH Prop)
    Mark Morrissey(Lock)
    Paul Deeny(Lock-Backrow) - Clontarf
    Will Hickey(Backrow)
    Jack Guinane(Backrow)
    Matthew Cullen(Scrumhalf)
    David Wilkinson(Outhalf)
    Charlie Tector(Outhalf)
    Fionn O'Hara(Outhalf)
    Marcus Kiely(Centre)
    Simon O'Kelly(Centre)
    Chris Cosgrave(Back Three)
    Ed Kelly(Back Three)
    Jamie Osborne(Back Three)

Imagine most going to UCD / Trinity on scholarships

Cormac Foley joining Lansdowne from Marys?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Martin Maloney to Tarf from Belvo?

Yea had forgotten that one

• Advertisement

Martin Maloney to Tarf from Belvo?

Good signing for Tarf

Advertisement