Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some good rules/etiquette for new cyclists?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hmmzis wrote: »
    While sitting behind a car or two might at first seem like a reasonable thing to do you are actually endangering your life and limb with that. Just have a thought of what would happen if the driver behind you is on the phone, drunk or just doesn't pay attention and rear ends you and the car in front.

Your argument would apply equally to any situation where you're in the flow of traffic.

I think, with respect, it is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

flatface wrote: »

Is there really any need for shoaling?
    Sit behind the cylists that arrived first and if a) you are faster you will soon breeze past them or b) you are slower you save yourself the indignity of being overtaken after shoaling. Tis a win win.
    I do the same for 1 or 2 cars at a lights too - they are gonna take off faster than me so do I really need to get in front and slow them down just to save 20 feet? Seems a bit pointless to me.

I'm nearly always faster than cars from the lights. I'll clear the junction before they catch up usually. In Dublin city centre they might not catch up at all.
    Why mix it up with them when you can go clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

RT66 wrote: »
    I'm nearly always faster than cars from the lights. I'll clear the junction before they catch up usually. In Dublin city centre they might not catch up at all.
    Why mix it up with them when you can go clear?

I do understand your perspective and if you are not impeding cars taking off then no harm. Just for myself I act as much like a car as I can (without attaching wing mirrors etc.) so that I get treated more like a car (visible object on the road to be yielded to, overtaken properly). And I like when bikes stop behind me, when I'm cycling or driving, so I do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

DO NOT SELFISHLY and HYPOCRITICALLY drive your private car in the bus lane, Mr. Shouty Highhorse.

hahaha, well played, its just annoying when im on the bus in the morning and a cyclist forces the bus to pull out in to the mainstream traffic. when there is a perfectly good cycle lane there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Overature wrote: »
    hahaha, well played, its just annoying when im on the bus in the morning and a cyclist forces the bus to pull out in to the mainstream traffic. when there is a perfectly good cycle lane there

I can see where you're coming from but I yet have to see a 'perfectly good' cycle lane here in Dublin. The ones I've seen and experienced so far are:

very poorly surfaced,
    littered with glass shards and other crap,
    end for no good reason without warning,
    have all sorts of metal covers on them (lethal when wet),
    don't go along the road where I have to go,
    make me surrender the right of way,
    have illogical and outright dangerous twists and turns in them with kerb jumps.
    Also, the segregated ones seem to be mostly annexed by joggers, walkers, dog owners and the odd trash bag, hitting anything at 30-40km/h (my usual commuting speed) is not going to end well for me or the other party (well, except for the trash bags).

So forgive me for having a sense of self preservation, I'd rather play 'chicken' with the buses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement