Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-04-2019, 20:50   #31
wirelessdude01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle
Well I got one lesson right, even when you losing,

Funny, always thought you were Swords for some reason.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-04-2019, 12:08   #32
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

So training has went poorly for awhile now, really struggling to do anything bar my commute. I have given some time to practice sprinting as it is clearly my weak point, and I definitely have the legs and strength to put in a decent sprint, just need to hit the ground running form next week.
Club league starts for me next week as well which is always a good way to get back into form really quickly, I had hoped to be getting out to Mondello or the Track League but life is too hectic.
Have signed up for the Frank O'Rourke, I was really strong in this last year except for when I had to pull out as I was about to void my bowels due to mild food poisoning. Also signed up for the Galway Classic, first race outside Leinster in a few years. I spent my youth racing lanes like this against friends and tractors, it really looks like fun and one of the few flat courses that might suit me.
Will do a FTP test next week to see has much changed.
29-04-2019, 11:50   #33
CramCycle

First club league race last Thursday, it ended with me feeling that I never wanted to ride a bike again, so not a great feeling. It was just awful from the first 100m until the last. Legs felt tired and sore after 100m, thought they might waken up but nothing really happened. I was able to dig in if needed but never felt the want too unlike my typical races so far this year. The temperature dropped to 4degrees over the race and I couldn't warm up. Second lap I got dropped slightly off the back. I could have caught them but my mind wasn't in it. I didn't lose too much time and finished off the race but I really just felt no love for the experience.
15-05-2019, 10:17   #34
CramCycle

After three weeks of no training and a stupid amount of boozing, it's time to get back in the saddle. Off the booze until the next race is over. Weight is still holding and not over 80kg but I was down belwo 78kg before the boozing started.

Here are the upcoming events:

Kilmessan GP - family dependent
Paddy Flanagan Memorial - should definitely be there after missing the Newbridge GP this weekend
Eddie Tobin Memorial Road Race - it is in Wexford so should definitely be there
Stephen Roche Grand Prix - unlikely to be upgraded in time
Galway Classic - very excited about this one, it is short for A4 but it is pretty much the style of roads I grew up cycling on, also with the length, goign from the gun is a realistic option.
Christy MacManus & Ronnie Coates Memorial - Hard one to swing as I am technically on holiday but will try and get to it
Laragh Classic (if upgraded) - also if not marshalling
Cycling Ireland Masters & A3 Road Race Championships
Cycling Ireland Hill Climb Championships
Thanks from:
16-05-2019, 14:14   #35
dahat

Any idea of what hte route is like? I've got M40 on my license so not sure if i'd like to be racing around hills with A1 & A2 lads.
Advertisement
16-05-2019, 14:45   #36
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahat View Post

Any idea of what hte route is like? I've got M40 on my license so not sure if i'd like to be racing around hills with A1 & A2 lads.
Not a clue, it's been run by Gorey so I presume one of the bumpier Wexford routes, maybe the Wexford County Champ course from 2016 or Barnadown route. Other than that nothing, probably won't be announced for awhile either as its not until mid September. The second day of the Wexford 2 day could also be a great route.
Thanks from:
17-05-2019, 00:08   #37
royrogers

Quote:

Heard its going to be the Sunday afternoon stage of the Gorey 3 day, laps of Craanford , heard this in Gorey over easter.
17-05-2019, 06:44   #38
dahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrogers View Post
Heard its going to be the Sunday afternoon stage of the Gorey 3 day, laps of Craanford , heard this in Gorey over easter.
I'm assuming this isn't good got non climbers?
17-05-2019, 10:41   #39
CramCycle

Quote:
I'm assuming this isn't good got non climbers?
This is the route here if I have it done right: https://www.strava.com/routes/18945992
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 10:51   #40
dahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
This is the route here if I have it done right: https://www.strava.com/routes/18945992
I may stay at home, last dig looks nasy.
17-05-2019, 10:51   #41
CramCycle

Jaysus, 3 days of not drinking and I came 1st in Semi Limit in the local league Hill Cimb last night. This was partly helped by the feeling that people didn't give 100% whereas I had to lie on the ground and wait 10 minutes for my heart to stop exploding out my ears on every beat. Started poorly, feeling like I was going to red line before we even got near the steep parts. Tried to drop gears to spin it out but nothing was really happening in a positive light. Seen my minute man just before the steep part, a few seconds later I realised he had caught his minute man. I took my two minute man who had set off strong but blew 1/4 of the way in. I then overtook my minute man at the halfway point. We went back and forth with each other for the next km, till I decided to stop paying attention to him, just put the head down and spin. Coming to the last 300m, I can see the line and stupidly for the first time, I look behind me. My vision is blurry but I can see him only 100m shy of me. I push it up a few gears and out of the saddle. I am barely moving but I simply use my weight to force the bike forwards, and start to pull away a bit. Managed to clear the line about with some time to spare on him, only to realise that it was my minute man who was chasing me and I had dropped mine on the climb, he actually rolled in a minute down on me.

1st in Semi Limit, and 10th overall on the night, being beaten only by A1s, A2s and an A3 sandbagger

I got home to pains in my chest, struggling to breathe and weirdly pain behind one of my eyeballs. Today I am just stiff and unable to move rather than in pain.
(5) thanks from:
17-05-2019, 10:55   #42
daragh_

Get yourself to the Curragh on Sunday!
17-05-2019, 10:57   #43
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by daragh_ View Post
Get yourself to the Curragh on Sunday!
I really want too as its one of my favourite courses and I done really well on it last year, and with a bit more tactical nuance I could have done very well. Unfortunately family life calls and there will be no racing this weekend which is annoying, there is a certain joy in making a break just before the climb on that course.
(3) thanks from:
24-05-2019, 12:01   #44
CramCycle

So prepping fo r Kilmessan GP this week having gotten a day pass, it is nice that it is on reasonably early, so if I hammer it round, I can get back for lunchtime, which is always appreciated.

Training wise this week was not as good as last week, partner was away with work so diet slipped a bit out of laziness. Done a bit in the Gym which seems to have left my muscles sore on Wednesday, this pain carried through to last night for our Club League race. I rode out at a solid pace to the start, so ended up even more tired with my legs sore and having to stop for food to stop me bonking on the way there.

Small groups of 15 in each race this week, which is nice as there is no hiding for anyone and you have to work or be really smart. Race took off with another team leading out, but daragh_ didn't take kindly to the lack lustre pace and came round the outside to set what would be the trend for the evening of him TTing off the front and people trying to reel him back in. In the first few km I was sitting in fourth so just before the first roundabout I came out and put the hammer down and went through making a nice break. Unfortunately for me, in what would be a common theme for the evening, I seemed to struggle to hold the power down for anymore than a few minutes. Round the third roundabout and daragh_ came round me and sat in front to give me a bit of shelter. We worked well together for a few km, before being joined by another rider. Unfortunately our pace and strength varied to much to work together and we were reeled back in. daragh_, unhappy with this and wanting to get a good workout, started what would be his unquenchable appetite for pushing hard for the evening, his game face was on and he wasn't taking any of this riding round the course for a sprint finish rubbish that plagues A4. He would sit in 5th place for about a minute, and then TT up over the bunch again and off the front. I think in total he done this a further 10 times over the race and really kept everyone going hard. After a few other less inspiring breaks by others, eventually two other lads went up the road, no more than 150m but they were working well together and their teammates in the bunch were doing a fantastic job of soft peddling when at the front and then just sitting on and dragging the bunch, making it harder to get over. I tried a few times to sprint over with enthusiasm but I kept just making it half way and they always seemed to keep us at bay. Eventually at the start of the final lap, a few really deep digs from a few riders meant we finally joined them but f*ck me did I hate them, my legs were in bits. I was left at the front in the final 3/4 for a good while but I just soft pedalled and made no real effort, focused more on recovery rather than dragging the bunch. For the last 1/2 lap, I decided I was making no more digs and just focused hard on holding the wheel of the man at the front or anyone who went around. He was strong but I managed to match every acceleration before the last turn, and refused to go around and take a turn, everytime someone tried to make me I stuck to their wheel or soft pedalled. Coming round the last roundabout, I tried my best not to storm off before the roundabout like I normally do but I only got 500m passed it before the adrenaline kicked in and I made a jump with about 1km to go. I broke from the group and made a 100m or so and just hammered it but here I made my fatal mistake which I think cost me the win in the end. I looked behind me, repeatedly. I held over 100m until 300m off the finish line but they were closing but everytime I looked behind I slowed a bit. 1 rider took me with 50m left, another 2 with 30m left and 3 more with 10m left, the last one pipping me for 6th place by half a wheel. If I hadn't of looked, I would have had top 3 for certain but c'est la vie.
(3) thanks from:
26-05-2019, 20:33   #45
CramCycle

Well that did not go to plan. I went out Friday night with my partner after last minute tickets to a night out were produced. I thought I had been restrained but felt awful the next day, possibly as much to do with the take away on the way home rather than the booze. Spent most of Saturday drinking water and little else. Saturday night though was met with restless sleep, fevered sweats and unpleasantness in the bathroom department. I thought it was all done, and although my legs were a bit tight, to hell with it and off I sent. Needless to say, not fully done and I spent a good while in the bathroom in Kilmessan. Feeling well enough to ride, I hopped on and rode off but the legs were very tight now, even the sedate first half lap felt like the final few km of a 120km stage. Some small brake tapping in the middle of the bunch on hills (why in ****s name does this keep happening), one at speed, so I actually swerved and skimmed the guy, nearly killing a Rossborough rider who was sneaking up on the left. Needless to say, the next 2 laps were just agony. I made one or two jumps to bridge over to the breakaway but could never quite cover it. The cross wind on the back stretch was crazy and was flinging unprepared riders sideways. I tried here but quickly gave up as I felt I was going backwards. I stuck it out to the end though, despite contemplating pulling out on the second lap. I seen a nice move happening before the last turn, but one rider second guessed himself and actually sat up as we were following through, leading to me slipping back into safety while the rider following him almost went through him. At this point I should have just sat in till near the end, but as always, i just couldn't handle the boredom. I didn't realise there was still a rider up the road, I seen one guy make a bit of a break and right before the final turn, i swung wide and went for him like the clappers, took the turn wide and fast but could barely hold the road, to the point I thought my wheels would go fro under me but they didn't I held the power down for about 30 seconds, one of my teammates had followed me but I blew up. Happily I had pulled himself and 6 others clear so they kept going and all held off too round off the top 8.

All this though and I should have sat in until closer to the end, as coming up the final climb at the back I was still walking up it quicker than anyone in front of me, more fool me.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion