Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling house because of Youth problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I said its "generally" a working class area. And it is. Nothing wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

tastyt wrote: »
    Ya. Nobody has said that. Youre talking ****e.

People don't want to live beside scrotes that make your life a misery and suffer no consequences. Shock horror.
    people here say all in council house are scrotes with 'free houses' LOL and think they are better than them

Free house is a regular comment here and is not accurate

your thanks on that comment show you as you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Also the op seems OK with offloading his problems to some unsuspecting person with a happy and buzzy inside feeling about owning the op's house.

Genuine quesion for you Hana Salty Gambler, and please don't go on another one about how much you reckon everyone else (we don't) thinks council tennants are all scumbags (they're not)
    - What do you suggest the OP does with the house if you think they shouldn't try to get a good price for it?

Do you suggest they put on the Daft ad description that there's some bad neighbors in the area so don't pay us much money for the house? Or perhaps they should not sell it at all and just leave it empty at huge expense so as not to let others have to put up with said neighbours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Does he still live there?

It'd be a b1tch of a commute from there to Sydney to be fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Estates and council tenants are fine when everything is working class ie people work
    Now we have the welfare class tenants who won’t work and will make your life hell for the laugh

Agreed, I’ve always had this with people, rabbiting on about being ‘working class’... the clue is in the title, specifically ‘working’. You have to do more than make an effort to show up at your local welfare office week after week, year after year to be titled ‘working class’.

The welfare class are the issue, by that term I’m describing individuals who make a career out of taking payments not as a stopgap between jobs, during ill health etc...they understand the value of nothing and their mindset is ‘hand out, money in’. Why, how or who are the driving contributors and the affect this has for people who work partly to provide for them is in their eyes not their problem...

Too much time on their hands, too used to not having or wanting responsibility, they set themselves aside from society and we end up with these issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah, as an ex-Garda all I can do is recommend to get out while you're able. Garda hands are very limited when it comes to youths, because everyone is an angel and couldn't possibly be doing what you're claiming, or they're in 'with the wrong gang' if caught. the punishment will never match the crime, and the courts/judges seem to think that just because they're under 18 they 'don't know better' (me hole). Plus the mandatory Juvenile Diversion program means that they won't even go to court for 'minor' offences (basically, anything but assault, and even then...).

It's good that ye are in a position to be able to move, and as mentioned above try to get something where this will hopefully not happen again if possible. Life is too short to let these scrotes ruin your home life. If I could recommend to get something in the country I would 100%, but I understand this is basically impossible in Dublin.

You don't have to answer but while you are here can I ask you as an ex-Garda; do you have confidence in this country's policing service?

Or are we all being unfair in criticising the force in your view?

I know there is a lot we don't see and I know good work goes on behind the scenes but when it comes to the basics like visibility and enforcement it all seems so shoddy compared to other jurisdictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

One solution is to buy an apartment (above ground level) even if you end up with antisocial neighbors they're not sitting on your wall and being a nuisance.

Some people pay to live in shipping containers and make a nice home for themselves... https://www.imageinteriors.ie/features/2017/8/15/j1jpkiy85zcautu2xn5cdesak9pi3m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Get horse manure, pour a bucket of hot water on it and let it settle. It will stink out the corner for a few days. They'll probably go somewhere else for a day or 2, and may even like the new spot.

It's winter so you don't have to worry about the smell yourself. If they comeback, do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Man gets 4 years for confronting youths near his property

It all went very wrong for this fellow

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058022293

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

mondeo wrote: »
    I bet the council wouldn't buy up houses around D4 to house people from the list in, D4 is the Beverly Hills of Dublin.

Apparently they do.

Council pays out €25m for D4 social housing.

I'm kind of shocked by this myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Where I'm from there's an estate that was built specifically to house students in the at-the-time booming college. The houses were really nice, well built and had lots of local amenities.

In recent years the numbers have dropped so the owners of these houses sold them for half nothing (most recently 2 of them were going for €40k each) and the place is overrun with scum. Sadly it's the only way the landlords can rent them and the ones that are left can't be sold due to the place being known infamously.

It's the kind of estate now where there are couples/neighbours drunk and roaring and shouting outside, kids running amok until the small hours of the morning, fireworks/bangers all year round etc. There was even an incident where a kid of about 11 took his parents' car and drove up and down the estate with his friends in it and even out onto the road. This estate and the back of my house are separated by an industrial estate which is currently being done up. A lot of stuff was stolen such as fencing, railings, rebar, signs etc and was all found in the housing estate. Thankfully I only hear all this going on, they've never once bothered me but the Gardai have been in there more often than I care to remember.

There's a full terrace of about 6 houses at the back of this place that spans the width of it. They had been empty for a while therefore some scrote though it would be a good idea to set them all alight. Now they're all boarded up shells which will cost a pretty penny to make inhabitable.

This isn't even in Dublin!

If you're looking, when you think you've decided on an area, have a quiet chat with the local Garda station (or nearest if none local). They're the best to let you know which areas would be 'safest'. Granted, I was a Garda when I bought mine, but I didn't know the area and asked the local lads. They mention they get quite a few queries like that, so as long as you're not a cnut they might help you out. Or even a sly 'which area do you get the least calls to' kind of question.

Edit: Actually, with GDPR and all that craic, this may no longer be an option...

GDPR is only about personal data. Saying you get more call outs to one area than another doesn't personally identify anyone so is fine. Now if you said "those scumbags in nr 23" that's another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

Is this Citywest by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Where I'm from there's an estate that was built specifically to house students in the at-the-time booming college. The houses were really nice, well built and had lots of local amenities.

In recent years the numbers have dropped so the owners of these houses sold them for half nothing (most recently 2 of them were going for €40k each) and the place is overrun with scum. Sadly it's the only way the landlords can rent them and the ones that are left can't be sold due to the place being known infamously.

It's the kind of estate now where there are couples/neighbours drunk and roaring and shouting outside, kids running amok until the small hours of the morning, fireworks/bangers all year round etc. There was even an incident where a kid of about 11 took his parents' car and drove up and down the estate with his friends in it and even out onto the road. This estate and the back of my house are separated by an industrial estate which is currently being done up. A lot of stuff was stolen such as fencing, railings, rebar, signs etc and was all found in the housing estate. Thankfully I only hear all this going on, they've never once bothered me but the Gardai have been in there more often than I care to remember.

There's a full terrace of about 6 houses at the back of this place that spans the width of it. They had been empty for a while therefore some scrote though it would be a good idea to set them all alight. Now they're all boarded up shells which will cost a pretty penny to make inhabitable.

This isn't even in Dublin!

Stradavoher Thurles? Btw the scum is RAS/HAP from Templemore and Borrisoleigh/The Ragg. Their little drug operations were driven out by residents there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No I'd say its Athlone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

My advice is sell up and get out ASAP.
    if you don't your health will suffer.

as others have said life is too short to be worrying about these wanabee gangsters,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

anewme wrote: »
    No I'd say its Athlone?

Willow park area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not just a Dublin or even a ROI issue.

There are huge numbers of lovely estates and apartments being built in Derry, in decent areas, then filled with the scum of Northern Ireland. I mean scum that have been kicked out of the worst parts of Belfast, so they ship them over to Derry.

I know a girl who lived in a nice area, fields all around, a mile or so out of the city. Then the council built a bypass through the fields and put a few hundred homes along the new road. Now she looks into a crap hole estate from her kitchen window. The first police drugs raid happened 4 days after the new residents moved in.

Every other week there are videos doing the rounds of residents in these places beating the crap out of each other in the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

What % of the population live in council houses/flats? Roughly.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Not just a Dublin or even a ROI issue.

There are huge numbers of lovely estates and apartments being built in Derry, in decent areas, then filled with the scum of Northern Ireland. I mean scum that have been kicked out of the worst parts of Belfast, so they ship them over to Derry.

I know a girl who lived in a nice area, fields all around, a mile or so out of the city. Then the council built a bypass through the fields and put a few hundred homes along the new road. Now she looks into a crap hole estate from her kitchen window. The first police drugs raid happened 4 days after the new residents moved in.

Every other week there are videos doing the rounds of residents in these places beating the crap out of each other in the streets.

Is this near the Bogside/Creggan/Waterside area of Derry or closer to a more rural part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Do the councils buy hoses in established private estates?

Not really but Approved Housing Bodies do. The likes of Cluid etc.

My advice is sell up and get out ASAP.
    if you don't your health will suffer.

as others have said life is too short to be worrying about these wanabee gangsters,

Can you buy a council that you are renting in or would you have to buy the place first?

I'd just ask to be moved to another part of the estate. I lived in the same council house for years in a really nice spot, close to rural & urban areas of the town, and the estate itself is very nice with a community group & special building for community events, I've had very little trouble in the place but the house beside me is a corner house & they've had a tone of trouble with people climbing into their garden & robbing things, I even contributed to their stress when I was a kid (11-14) by mistake always kicking my football over & having to ask for it back not really realizing at the time how stressful that was, but there was violence against them as well by scumbags & they then left the place after that & the ones ex-husband who she was on good terms with moved in by himself & had to stick a sharp steel fence around the top of the wall so nobody could get in anymore & brought his Alsatian with him & that seemed to stop the problem.
    So maybe try building big steel sharp fences around your property & buy a big dog & maybe marry a bodybuilder if you don't want to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is this near the Bogside/Creggan/Waterside area of Derry or closer to a more rural part?

Both. Out the Skeoge bypass near the Donegal border, and along the Northland Road in the city.

Do the councils buy hoses in established private estates?

South Dublin County Council where the OP lives, definitely does. Several houses on my road, including the one directly next door to me, have been bought by SDCC.

The house next door the owner died and his family approached the council to buy it for a quick sale, and they got a more than fair price too. This is something the OP should consider if they really want to sell quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

This is either absolutely genius or a stupid suggestion. And think about it before you judge it as the latter as I first did.

I mentioned this thread to a friend yesterday in the pub and we were thinking of ways of how to deter people from going next or near this spot like some form of hostile architecture. Without knowing what the gable end of the OP house looks like, some things may be illegal or there’s no way to install them. Anyway he suggested this.

A few years ago here in Tipperary, a toilet along the old N7 was been used by gay and bisexual men hooking up. The council temporarily closed these facilities and it was reported in national press. Rumour is that toilet was avoided by everyone including straight people when it reopened due to fear of being suspect of this carry on.

Maybe a rumour circulating of a suspicious taboo behaviour happening in the surrounds would deter this scumbags from standing there. You could possibly even get people unknown to them but in on it to shout over at them suggesting they are the ones perpetuating this behaviour.

These scumbags are usually the least tolerant/homophobic etc. Trying to look tough and hardy. Imagine them associated as some sort of sex pervs or peeping toms. They’d never go next or near these buildings ever again. Got to admit there’s some merit to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Stradavoher Thurles? Btw the scum is RAS/HAP from Templemore and Borrisoleigh/The Ragg. Their little drug operations were driven out by residents there.

The Avenue ;)

Can you buy a council that you are renting in or would you have to buy the place first?

I'd just ask to be moved to another part of the estate.

I don't think the OP lives in a council estate. From the language in the opening post I assumed they were living in a private estate.

They do mention that there is a council estate nearby, where they assume the troublemakers are coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

Have you tried speaking with the juveniles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

This is either absolutely genius or a stupid suggestion. And think about it before you judge it as the latter as I first did.

I mentioned this thread to a friend yesterday in the pub and we were thinking of ways of how to deter people from going next or near this spot like some form of hostile architecture. Without knowing what the gable end of the OP house looks like, some things may be illegal or there’s no way to install them. Anyway he suggested this.

A few years ago here in Tipperary, a toilet along the old N7 was been used by gay and bisexual men hooking up. The council temporarily closed these facilities and it was reported in national press. Rumour is that toilet was avoided by everyone including straight people when it reopened due to fear of being suspect of this carry on.

Maybe a rumour circulating of a suspicious taboo behaviour happening in the surrounds would deter this scumbags from standing there. You could possibly even get people unknown to them but in on it to shout over at them suggesting they are the ones perpetuating this behaviour.

These scumbags are usually the least tolerant/homophobic etc. Trying to look tough and hardy. Imagine them associated as some sort of sex pervs or peeping toms. They’d never go next or near these buildings ever again. Got to admit there’s some merit to it.

Mod

I would have hoped we have moved on from using homosexuality as a negative slur. Also spreading rumours 'Joe Bloggs' is a sex perv opens you up to slander claims.

Going down the road of childish name calling is not very mature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Andreas77 wrote: »
    Have you tried speaking with the juveniles?

It is likely to be of no use. In my own lane, there is a corner house with a low brick wall around its large front garden. Perfect place to sit and chat for many youngsters from the area. There was never any violence and most kids are just fine. But some of them do leave soft drink cans and food wrappers around them. Also one creatively inclined youth decided to cross the front garden and leave a graffiti on on the house wall as a memento. That was the last drop for my neighbours who installed a metal fence on top of the brick wall making sitting there impossible.

So if my neighbour talked to the kids, it is likely they would have said that they just like to hang out here because it is convenient and they mean no trouble and they would definitely pick up rubbish after themselves. And it is likely to be the truth for most of them. But one of them may find it irresistible to paint some graffiti, or pull on an exposed TV cable ripping it out of the wall. And then what -- the group that you have talked to is not responsible for that guy, they may have told him not to do this even, yet now you would think that those kids "deceived" you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

I feel for you OP. It's a sad reflection of Irish society and of successive governments who are terrified to go against the prevailing socialist groupthink, that your situation is common and about to become a lot more common now that social housing "mix" is preferred.

In fact new developments are now being built where there is a 20-30% social housing mix (completely contravening actual government policy of max 10%) and where developers are not allowed to tell private buyers which units are the social units. So a hard working family are playing the housing lottery where they might get the councils worst tenants right next door to them and their new €400-500k house.

And established estates are not immune either as mentioned. Councils are buying up used stock that comes on the market and you better pray if it happens in your estate that they put in decent tenants.

It's incredibly frustrating that the rest of us can't seem to do anything about it. The only way this will ever get sorted is with these types of tenants moving in next door to the TDs and ministers that make the policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

It’s coming to the stage young couples be as well off not work and just go the welfare route and get a good a house as those working for small rent taken out of your welfare !
    Better still call yourself a traveller and you’ll get a free stable as well and no one will ever ask you to try get work either !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

threeball wrote: »
    Problem is it doesn't even take as many as you mention for it to get out of control. One or two families are enough. The councils know their history before they move them and yet they somehow think that spreading this epidemic across the city is a great policy.

FFS when Ebola breaks out they actively isolate the carriers and try to contain. Our genius leaders have decided to put as many people in contact with the human version of Ebola as possible.

this is exactly it, you see, their experiments are fine, because those w*nkers will never have to live beside the s*um!

threeball wrote: »
    One or two families are enough.

One family can destroy an entire estate and make life hell. I know from experience of an estate near me which affected a good chunk of the area as well, not just the estate.

Worst thing is it took 10 years to get the family of 8 children out of the area. That's despite entire community effort to get rid of them.

So once they are in near you you are pretty much screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

shows you what clowns FG are, as if they would ever get a vote from these s*cum and yet they still do nothing about it. In fact they lose votes from potential voters, due to the health, justice, housing farces etc!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

You are doing the right thing op.

Even if you have to downsize it's worth it for your health and sanity. Nobody should live in intimidation and fear.

WARNING If you touch one of these little f***ers you are the one who will end up in court and they will get a pay day due to our stupid judges. The "parents" of the scrotes will be well familiar with that trade.

Get out quietly.

Do not tell anyone in the area you are moving (even best friends, fire travels fast in the forest). You will end up more of a victim before you leave than you are now.

I wish you well with your new start. What a bloody awful experience sadly replicated in so many places.

All of the above. Run for your lives.

These parasites have nothing to lose. Dangerous little bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

One family can destroy an entire estate and make life hell. I know from experience of an estate near me which affected a good chunk of the area as well, not just the estate.

Worst thing is it took 10 years to get the family of 8 children out of the area. That's despite entire community effort to get rid of them.

So once they are in near you you are pretty much screwed.

“You can’t put a family out on the street in the current homeless crisis” was the response from the council from repeated complaints from residents about a shower of scumbags causing mayhem that I know of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

its not always people in social housing that cause issues.
    we've the brother of a local solicitor opposite us.
    his wife, who did a bunk a couple of years ago, and him and his kids have been nothing but trouble.
    she was particularly bad and didnt in any way check the 4 kids. a liar and a bully is the only way to describe her.

she left him and the kids a couple of years ago and while things have quieted he has raised his ugly head on occasion only to have him be told where to go.
    message seems to be finally reaching some tiny cell in his so called brain.

and this is a private housing estate and quite small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

its not always people in social housing that cause issues.
    we've the brother of a local solicitor opposite us.
    his wife, who did a bunk a couple of years ago, and him and his kids have been nothing but trouble.
    she was particularly bad and didnt in any way check the 4 kids. a liar and a bully is the only way to describe her.

she left him and the kids a couple of years ago and while things have quieted he has raised his ugly head on occasion only to have him be told where to go.
    message seems to be finally reaching some tiny cell in his so called brain.

and this is a private housing estate and quite small.

I don't mean to minimize what I'm sure was a pain in the arse but it's rare that people on private estates are as feral as some people in social housing. We're talking non stop parties to 5am, drug use, fighting in the street etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

“You can’t put a family out on the street in the current homeless crisis” was the response from the council from repeated complaints from residents about a shower of scumbags causing mayhem that I know of

And that's the problem. It's not like putting them out would have more on the streets, it's the optics. They'd be straight on the social media complaining about the uncaring council.

Should be a punishment for this stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/news/481159/eviction-demanded-for-laois-council-tenants-fighting-with-machetes.html

Homeowners in a Laois housing estate are living in fear of a family that councillors want evicted from their council house.

A litany of intimidating behaviour and crime including machete fights, training dogs at night, neighbours assaulted, and car chases across footpaths.

Laois councillor Aisling Moran listed the claims at the September meeting of the Graiguecullen Portarlington Municipal District.

"A neighbour in a window got a sling shot in the face, they are fighting with machetes, they are training dogs at one in the morning," she said.

The family should be evicted, she said.

"There should be a three strike rule, and then they should be evicted. Why should it cost the state money? Decent people wouldn't act like that. I know if we evict them they go back on the council housing list. If we don't let them back on the list, we put the onus on them. If they say they can't provide a home for their kids, then we will provide a home for your kids," she said.

She tabled a motion before making her claims, to install a second bollard on the roadway between the Graiguecullen housing estates of Heatherhill Square and Heatherhill.

"This bollard was put up because when they were being chased by the Gardaí they drove up on a path," Cllr Moran said.

Cllr Padraig Fleming seconded and described more behaviour by the family.

"Half this estate of about 36 houses are council, half mortgaged. There's none that haven't been affected. They have made major complaints to the council. Young people are knocking on doors asking people to buy beer because they are under age. Families are afraid to let children out to play. Children are after being attacked. They are being intimidated, threatened, still nothing has happened. The trouble a family can make destroys the balance, the niceness the decency and the safety.

"Rubbish is piling out the back of their house. The smell is terrible. A caravan was pulled in to the front door for big parties, the council told them to move it but it just continues. Horses were brought into the back garden," Cllr Fleming said.

While the council has conditions that a tenant signs up to on contract, "the process doesn't work", Cllr Fleming claimed.

Laois County Council says it will arrange for additional bollards to be installed in order to deter anti-social behaviour".

The Director of Services Gerry Murphy said the other problems were a Garda issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

"Training dogs at one in the morning"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

First council tenant to be evicted for rent arrears.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/first-dublin-city-council-social-housing-tenant-to-be-evicted-for-rent-arrears-1.4085923

The first tenant ever to be evicted for arrears? So many don't even bother paying the €20 a week or whatever it is.

Why is this money not taken weekly from their dole automatically?

It's disturbing how badly run and governed this country is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

LuasSimon wrote: »
    It’s coming to the stage young couples be as well off not work and just go the welfare route and get a good a house as those working for small rent taken out of your welfare !
    Better still call yourself a traveller and you’ll get a free stable as well and no one will ever ask you to try get work either !
    It was on the radio yesterday that half of all council tenants are in arrears to the tune of €33 million. Most would be getting reduced rent and they still can't be ar$ed to pay it as they know there will be no consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The issue is, if they evict non payers or ASB feckers where do they house them then? Cheaper and easier to keep them where they are I suppose, whilst we the taxpayer pay for it all, yawn....

Anyway, no matter where you live there is no guarantee that 30% social housing won't be in your new estate, or indeed the house next door may be bought for social housing in an established estate.

Bottom line for me is, if you are provided with social housing and I know they (should) pay a differential rent, then the housing association/council should enter into a contract with the tenant, for good behaviour, keep the property looked after, and keep your kids civil, otherwise you are out, back in to temporary accommodation.

Some of these people don't know they are born. If it is handed to you on a plate you play by the rules. But I don't think that is happening much.

The rent arrears issue is a disgrace. Because of this, and the reduction of LPT, other things that those working and contribute to rise in price. The little darlings who do not need to use those services like parking and so on won't care.

But unfortunately these days no one can open their mouths about anything without being called this and that and if in the public eye being made to apologise for saying what everyone is thinking.

I do realise that it is a minority of scumbags and their offspring making life hell for others, but that minority is having a terrible effect on many.

Time to get tough.

I think the percentage of income local authorities can charge under the differential rent schemes should be raised, and standardised across local authorities, in some way.

Depending on the Council / County, you could be charged 10% of income or up to 16% of income, which isn't huge.

Anyway, no matter where you live there is no guarantee that 30% social housing won't be in your new estate, or indeed the house next door may be bought for social housing in an established estate.

I do believe developers can build the social houses elsewhere though. It does not have to be in the estate.

Or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I do believe developers can build the social houses elsewhere though. It does not have to be in the estate.

Or am I wrong?

Yeah they can keep certain estates exclusive by giving the council the properties elsewhere in lieu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭threeball

Mokuba wrote: »
    Yeah they can keep certain estates exclusive by giving the council the properties elsewhere in lieu.

That might work for big developers with multiple estates but smaller guys have to sell one before moving to the next so loads of small housing estates end up with a couple of knacker families who don't belong. Its like having a boarding kennel that mainly caters for poodles and chihuahuas but then someone randomly drops off a rottweiler and expects all to be good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement