Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans

Options
  • 26-08-2019 6:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Are they ruder than Irish and the rest of the world?? I always doubted this stereotype but I can say that they're definitely heard before their seen. Particularly in the summer on the LUAS, Dublin Bus, or even on the street you hear an American before you see them.

But other than that, going over there last year for 3 months, they seem as polite as us. The only difference is that there country is so large so you get many extremes, extrmely polite people and extremely rude, crazy, ignorant, people. Doesn't mean the extreme outliers are representative of the whole nation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Are they ruder than Irish and the rest of the world?? I always doubted this stereotype but I can say that they're definitely heard before their seen. Particularly in the summer on the LUAS, Dublin Bus, or even on the street you hear an American before you see them.

But other than that, going over there last year for 3 months, they seem as polite as us. The only difference is that there country is so large so you get many extremes, extrmely polite people and extremely rude, crazy, ignorant, people. Doesn't mean the extreme outliers are representative of the whole nation.

Same could be said for any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Everyone is ruder than the Irish..... we are simply wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

A lot of Americans have that "telling you straight" thing that they've inherited from German and Nordic ancestors. The Irish would usually drop dead rather than complain or risk offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Found Americans to be more false than us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If I had a gun...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Hearing before seeing doesn’t make them rude

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

A lot of Americans have that "telling you straight" thing that they've inherited from German and Nordic ancestors. The Irish would usually drop dead rather than complain or risk offence.
    My viking genes must be strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm afraid of americans

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

If I had a gun...

I'd shoot a hole into the sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Americans are annoying, very boring too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Found them incredibly polite to deal with and willing to go out of their way to help with anything.

Not just for tourists but also for people living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Given than many American tourists come to Ireland because of their Irish ancestry, it seems a bit churlish to complain about them ..!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

You Us Eh? ! You Us Eh? !

No idea what they're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

The population of America is about 300 million ....bit silly to say they are rude/annoying/boring whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Americans really are the strangest people I have ever met. Their lust for their military and police force, the fact that they’re all grotesquely overweight and racist, their propensity for oversharing and referring to somewhere by both city and state (“I live in Flint, Michigan” as opposed to just “Flint.”), Fahrenheit. I will never understand Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They are awful when you’re “down the country”.

Rolling out of tour buses in incredibly bright jackets roaring about “how QUIET it is” at some monastic site.

They aren’t so loud when complaining about the “weak flush” in the tourist centre.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Americans really are the strangest people I have ever met. Their lust for their military and police force, the fact that they’re all grotesquely overweight and racist, their propensity for oversharing and referring to somewhere by both city and state (“I live in Flint, Michigan” as opposed to just “Flint.”), Fahrenheit. I will never understand Americans.

It's a big country, everyone might not know where Flint is.
    Also states have towns with the same name, Springfield for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Americans are more polite and genuinely friendly than Irish people, in my experience. It might come across as fake at first when you aren't used to it, but in most cases it isn't at all

But didn't we just have a huge American bashing thread? It it really time for another one already?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Americans I met in New England were very polite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,044 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Couldn't be any louder than the upstairs of a #15 bus at the height of Spanish student season!

I think everyone gets louder on tour.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Americans are annoying, very boring too

And you are a bundle of laughs. Highlight of your year is de carnival down in de pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Worked over there for awhile.
    A diverse people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

They're easier than Australians to listen to.

I'll give them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,044 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Woke Hogan wrote: »

Hello!

Barack-Obama-Wave.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Y'all really would. We currently have two colleagues visiting our American office - a South African man and an Irish woman. The South African keeps calling the Irish woman English, and she's been very politely trying correct him indirectly by saying things like (when asked about Brexit, for example), "Well, from the Irish perspective..." but he keeps doing it.

I'm:
    1. grateful it isn't one of my fellow Americans
    2. thinking about saying something, but also enjoying the Monday entertainment

As for Americans - the loudest are just the ones that grab your attention. Some of us - a few of us - are lower key. :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I read of this one Irish lad, who was very rude. Killed a guy. So there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Not really. I think we just don’t interpret each other that well. My ex was from Florida/Kansas, she would cry because I’d scream at the sky box for freezing or get angry at stuff that wouldn’t work properly thinking I’d be angry at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hello!

Barack-Obama-Wave.jpg

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Any American tourist I've met has generally been very sound. I studied with a couple of Yanks too and they were grand.

They're probably a bit innocent when it comes to what they expect in Ireland but I don't understand the stick they get. Nor do I get why it annoys people that they call themselves Irish cos of their ancestry. What harm?

They're here spending their pensions dollars. We should be grateful for that. Leave them at it and be friendly to em.

Advertisement