Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A ****hole is unaffordable at this point. This carries on and I may consider working remotely from eastern europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

This thread should really be re-titled to Grim Places to Rent.

In that Daily Edge article, whilst I would generally top myself if I had to live in any of those properties, special shout out to the second place where bedrooms could surely take a class action law-suit at that 'area' being called a bedroom

?width=630&version=4219966

Also, apartment 13 - given that I'd probably vomit at the thought of the rental price for what I was getting, at least you wouldn't notice my vomit on the floor

?width=630&version=4224376

Fúck me, things are grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Truly depressing stuff. Thread needs a new title. Something truly bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who wants to go live and work in the big smoke?

I'll pass.

Looks like a lot of affordable housing will be getting built, hopefully we see a end to this kind of ****e!

Looks like a lot of affordable housing will be getting built, hopefully we see a end to this kind of ****e!

The only thing that will put an end to this gravy train would be another major recession that kills the Dublin jobs market.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who wants to go live and work in the big smoke?

I'll pass.

I live just outside Dublin. I started renting here at the bottom of the recession and so got a small one bed for 650. The landlord upped the rent to 900. And I feel incredibly lucky that I managed to get it at that price. People I work with are paying more than that for a room in an apt closer to dublin.

Anyways, I think someone needs to post a genuinely funny place to cheer me up.

The only thing that will put an end to this gravy train would be another major recession that kills the Dublin jobs market.

No thanks :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

D3V!L wrote: »
    Must be selling this place to pay off the crack bill !!

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drimnagh/32-benmadigan-road-drimnagh-dublin-1844268/

400k for a 2 bed in Drimnagh !! :eek:
    Those bathrooms are like something off Willy Wonka!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I know at least one prospective house-buyer (with her head screwed on) who is hoping for another recession. it may be selfish but I have to agree, that even if she lost her job and found one on less pay, she'd be better off over the long term. A lot of people would (except those who bought in the last two years).

Rings a bell.

I wonder what their favourite colour is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Must be selling this place to pay off the crack bill !!

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drimnagh/32-benmadigan-road-drimnagh-dublin-1844268/

400k for a 2 bed in Drimnagh !! :eek:
    You don't get classier than a pool table in the dining room. Also that fridge! The pièce de résistance.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I reckon we're at about 2003 or so, at the minute. Then the recession will probably come in about 2022 or 2023. Hoping I have enough saved by then to be able to buy a house when property becomes affordable again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Grayson wrote: »
    I live just outside Dublin. I started renting here at the bottom of the recession and so got a small one bed for 650. The landlord upped the rent to 900. And I feel incredibly lucky that I managed to get it at that price. People I work with are paying more than that for a room in an apt closer to dublin.

Likewise, just before the RPZ stuff came in, I managed to snag a flat in D6 for sub €900 per month. It's not the lap of luxury, but I'd say if it weren't for the RPZ rules, it could probably go for 1100+.

It's utter madness. I hope the LL doesn't decide to sell up, I have no idea what I'd do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Joy. More sub par housing added to the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And probably 99% "family homes"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It really is shocking and disgraceful what's allowed to be passed off to people. I rented for around 10 years before buying a place in North County Dublin. When I was renting you could get a decent 1 bed apartment minutes from the city centre for around €700. At that time a small mortgage cost roughly the same so you could actually save to buy a place of your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

inforfun wrote: »
    And probably 99% "family homes"

As in 700k plus 4 bedroom semi-d's that the average mortal can't afford. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

As in 700k plus 4 bedroom semi-d's that the average mortal can't afford. :(

Requiring 2 incomes to be able to properly afford it.

People who dont feel the need to start families can just go **** off and start sharing miserable places with the others who dont feel the need to procreate (yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Following further investigation, the landlord admitted to collecting rent for 16 other dwellings in the city which were also constructed using questionable building materials, including mechano, straw bales and one house made from Bord Na Mona briquettes.
    Straw bale houses are actually a thing though!

Alun wrote: »
    Straw bale houses are actually a thing though!

They're special straw bricks aren't they? they won't even burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Must've been a discount on red paint. No one can love a colour THAT much!

When I left Dublin in 2009 I was renting a 1 bed flat in Phibsborough for about €700 a month. Most recently my sister was paying the same rent to share a house with 4 other people. It is insane how bad it's gotten and I can't see it getting any better any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Must've been a discount on red paint. No one can love a colour THAT much!

When I left Dublin in 2009 I was renting a 1 bed flat in Phibsborough for about €700 a month. Most recently my sister was paying the same rent to share a house with 4 other people. It is insane how bad it's gotten and I can't see it getting any better any time soon.

I was renting a big one bed in Santry for €700.00 up to 2017!! Last I heard, same place was renting out at €1350 per month. Crazy.

I was renting a big one bed in Santry for €700.00 up to 2017!! Last I heard, same place was renting out at €1350 per month. Crazy.
    I bet there are very few people who have had a similar increase in income over the past 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I bet there are very few people who have had a similar increase in income over the past 10 years.

Landlords :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Government Tax on Landlords :pac:

FYP there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Kamili wrote: »
    FYP there

Fake news. Tax is the same for everyone.

Kamili wrote: »
    FYP there

Yes. I'm sure landlords incomes have stagnated and all those ridiculous increases are because of the taxman.

Yes. I'm sure landlords incomes have stagnated and all those ridiculous increases are because of the taxman.

Yep. My landlord increased my rent by 40%. I'm sure every penny of that is going to the taxman. And in my case I know he's paid off the mortgage so it's not like he was losing money on that. the increase was purely for the taxman :D

Anyways, there's loads of threads about rent. Maybe should move the discussing there rather than derailing one of my favourite threads? (Yes, I realise the irony of posting what I did and then posting this. I also realise it's backseat modding. But i do really like this thread. It's one of the few I subscribe to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Malik Ahmed offers single bed in room with 3 beds or bed in the living room in The Coombe
    Only €495 per week. Gender discrimination - females only.
    "Liddle Tasco Asian shop out side apatment."
    https://www.daft.ie/31040489

zell12 wrote: »
    Malik Ahmed offers single bed in room with 3 beds or bed in the living room in The Coombe

That has to be a piss take. Even if it was per month and not per week, it'd still be disgusting but at least it'd make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

zell12 wrote: »

“Shearing apatment ”. God help people that have no choice but to take something like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Isnt Malik a male name. Smacks of someone subletting for profile to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

“Shearing apatment ”. God help people that have no choice but to take something like this

It rubs the lotion on its skin....

Silence of the Lambs reference for those wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He's probably got the wardrobes sublet to a small farmer.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'm half expecting to see sleeping bags nailed to a wall soon on this thread.

Sometimes I get sad looking at places that others will have to live in and other times I genuinely laugh out loud at how bad they are.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

submarine-ss-dc-4.jpg

Can't be too long before they get this cramped!
    This is inside a submarine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Can't be too long before they get this cramped!
    This is inside a submarine.

That's awful!!
    Really feel sorry for that guy...

Reading Clarkson's biography!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Yep. My landlord increased my rent by 40%. I'm sure every penny of that is going to the taxman. And in my case I know he's paid off the mortgage so it's not like he was losing money on that. the increase was purely for the taxman :D

Anyways, there's loads of threads about rent. Maybe should move the discussing there rather than derailing one of my favourite threads? (Yes, I realise the irony of posting what I did and then posting this. I also realise it's backseat modding. But i do really like this thread. It's one of the few I subscribe to)[/QUOTE]

yeah, you realised the irony, so why not refrain from posting here and go look for a 'landlord thread' or anything?

quite bold, your attitude, I would say, or in other words gtfo.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    That's awful!!
    Really feel sorry for that guy...

Reading Clarkson's biography!

:pac:
    He must have been a bit slow getting to the library... :pac:

But seriously, some of the dives out there are almost in competition with submarine sleeping arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Seriously though, some of these places for rent in Dublin are worse than Josef Fritzl's dungeon!

Josef-Fritzl-Monstruo-encerro-hija-sotano-secuestro-5.jpg
    Actual photo of his dungeon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

chewed wrote: »
    Seriously though, some of these places for rent in Dublin are worse than Josef Fritzl's dungeon!

Actual photo of his dungeon!

No. You can leave any of the dumps in Dublin, any time you want, go for a coffee, a pint or a stroll, go to work, visit friends. But nobody could leave this dungeon.

I get where you are coming from, but this comparison is a bit insensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Carry wrote: »
    No. You can leave any of the dumps in Dublin, any time you want, go for a coffee, a pint or a stroll, go to work, visit friends. But nobody could leave this dungeon.

I get where you are coming from, but this comparison is a bit insensitive.

Only his victims would (should is probably more accurate) be sensitive to that comparison. Please don't get offended on their behalf. The world is full of enough of that rubbish already thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Have some ****ing empathy, ridonkulous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Have some ****ing empathy, ridonkulous.
    Hyperbole is verboten now too? What is this, the lolicost?

Advertisement