Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK graduate thrown out of gay club after "triggering" Blurred Lines is played

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

kneemos wrote: »
    Bit melodramatic.

Asking for clarity is melodramatic?

He claimed I have a "right hard on for this topic" because of my posts, what exactly am I supposed to respond to there?

Yes, I give a **** about the subject. Am I supposed to make that clearer or defend it somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Kev W wrote: »
    There's been a degree of research on the subject.
    Sure, what about credible evidence like I asked?

If someone self-identifies as being Napoleon, is that valid too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

She's not a one or a zero.

S/he's a xeno's paradox.

No, they're suffering from a delusion because Napoleon is a long-dead French Emperor. It's impossible to be Napoleon. Unless of course that happens to be their actual name but I'm going with the assumption that you refer to the historical figure.

So do you mean to say that in your opinion if someone identifies as non-binary they're deluded? Do you have credible evidence of that?

Yes because consensual reality has left the building and therapy speak has infiltrated legislation.

Just wait till multiple personality disorders can get 4 birthcerts and passports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Some of these quotes are incredible, both from the complainant and the original DJ. As one of the commenters said, the DJ is there to play music, not give you a hug.

http://thetab.com/uk/leeds/2015/08/03/leeds-grad-claims-kicked-gay-club-complaining-blurred-lines-17684

Leeds grad claims she was kicked out of gay club for complaining about ‘Blurred Lines’

A Leeds graduate claims she was thrown out of a gay club and verbally abused after complaining to the DJ who played Blurred Lines.

Georgia Greenfield, who left Leeds in 2013, was ejected on Tuesday morning from Queen’s Court – Leeds’ main gay club. Georgia, 23, complained to the DJ saying it made her recall being raped.

Georgia wrote a note on a phone to the DJ saying: “‘I know you want it’ are the exact words my rapist said to me before he raped me. I don’t want to hear this ****.” Shockingly, the grad says the DJ called over the microphone: “**** off you silly bitch.”

Georgia says: “I didn’t expect the song to be turned off but I wanted to give the person playing it an impression of its effect.

“I didn’t even expect them to turn it off or to say anything back to me at all. Why would you?”

But Georgia and friend Noah were left shocked when the DJ told Georgia over the microphone to “**** off you silly bitch” as they walked off.

Friend Noah Martin, a French third year who was with Georgia at the club, said: “My initial reaction was disgust, fear and anger. I couldn’t believe it happened in a space that was supposed to be safe – a gay club.”

When they tried to re-enter the club, 23-year old Georgia claims they were told by bouncers the DJ had advised neither her nor her friend were allowed back in the club.

Georgia said: “I was in disbelief that I was being thrown out of a club for telling the DJ I was raped.

“As I was explaining the actual reasons to the bouncers (not to get back in, but because it was ridiculous) the DJ said over the microphone: ‘If you don’t like what I have to say you can **** off somewhere else’. Then as we were walking away he added: ‘There needs to be an electric fence around the DJ booth’.”

Noah lodged a complaint to the management of Queen’s Court and received an email confirming they were aware of the incident.

The email also said: “The incident is currently being fully investigated and a full response will be forwarded to [Georgia] once finalised”.

But Noah and Georgia are still unhappy. Noah said: “The manager didn’t even use the right pronouns for Georgia”.

Georgia identifies as “gender non-conforming” and prefers to use both “she and “they” pronouns, adding: “Noah as far as I know identifies as non-binary”.

When contacted by The Tab, a spokesperson for Queen’s Court said: “An investigation is underway. Due to it being pride weekend, it is taking a bit longer, but I am speaking to the lady in question.”

Georgia now wants disciplinary action to be taken against the DJ, and for Blurred Lines to be banned from the club “because it triggers so many women and people assigned female who go there”.

Georgia added: “Or at least it should be announced before it’s played from now on, so at least people can leave.”

attention seeker

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Yes because consensual reality has left the building and therapy speak has infiltrated legislation.

Just wait till multiple personality disorders can get 4 birthcerts and passports.

Alright, who had "slippery slope" in the Idiotic Fallacy pool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"Noah as far as I know identifies as non-binary"

what does that even mean :confused:

It means there are 10 people in the relationship. Herself and the girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

No, they're suffering from a delusion because Napoleon is a long-dead French Emperor. It's impossible to be Napoleon. Unless of course that happens to be their actual name but I'm going with the assumption that you refer to the historical figure.

So do you mean to say that in your opinion if someone identifies as non-binary they're deluded? Do you have credible evidence of that?

Do you have credible evidence that Napoleon is dead or that he was French? Or that he ever existed for that matter? I bet you have only ever read it on the internet.

if you want credible evidence for everyones opinions then there really is no point being on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm sure TheJournal.ie will write an enraged article about the effect that "Blurred Lines" had on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

razorblunt wrote: »
    It means there are 10 people in the relationship. Herself and the girlfriend.

That would be 2. It's non binary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Proving they're not deluded would be where it's at.
    Unless you're accepting it without evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Who'd work in a student nightclub. Posh, squeaky, non-binary neckbeard should be listed as an official occupational hazard.

Do you have any credible evidence for it? As I mentioned, the majority of research you linked to comes from feminist bodies, who obviously wouldn't have agendas to push.

Come back to me with research carried out by legitimate scientific journals and I'll take it more seriously. Or at least think it's less ridiculous.

kneemos wrote: »
    Proving they're not deluded would be where it's at.
    Unless you're accepting it without evidence.

Actually that's not how evidence works. You can't prove a negative. The onus is on the person accusing someone of being delusional to prove that they're delusional.

If I say you're not Kneemos, do you have to prove you are?

• Advertisement

Actually that's not how evidence works. You can't prove a negative. The onus is on the person accusing someone of being delusional to prove that they're delusional.

If I say you're not Kneemos, do you have to prove you are?

OK.The moons a cabbage.

I'm starting to get the feeling this latest fashion of men wanting to be women is the manifestation of the feminising and castrating men in the wider culture, and these transgender guys are articulating what's happening in quieter less theatrical ways in marriages and work places across the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

But they can't be suffering from a delusion because they are clearly biologically a gender? Could you explain the criteria by which you decide that clearly present evidence can be ignored in one case and not in another?
    Genitalia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

She's not female or male, as gender is a social construct. And yes, that's as stupid as it sounds.

Genders a social construct? If noah gets a swift quick in the bollix he might revise that theory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yea, I was on a dating site and someone identified as hetroflexible.

In my day we used to just refer to that as 'any port in a storm'. Simpler times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,267 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Look, ultimately people are entitled to identify themselves however they want. Their life, their personality, their choice.

However, if someone looks like a male and someone calls them a male, they shouldn't be upset if someone calls them a male. You may identify as non-binary or whatever, but other people can't possibly know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,267 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm starting to get the feeling this latest fashion of men wanting to be women is the manifestation of the feminising and castrating men in the wider culture, and these transgender guys are articulating what's happening in quieter less theatrical ways in marriages and work places across the west.

... what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Asking for clarity is melodramatic?

He claimed I have a "right hard on for this topic" because of my posts, what exactly am I supposed to respond to there?

Yes, I give a **** about the subject. Am I supposed to make that clearer or defend it somehow?

Kev, I find your comments to be offensive. They are triggering a past experience where I just did not feel safe on a public forum. Boards is supposed to be a safe place, and I am asking you to stop reminding me of this traumatic past event.

If you wish to reply to me, please use the proper pronouns. I prefer to be referred to as O Glorious King. Thank you.

Bambi wrote: »
    Genders a social construct? If noah gets a swift quick in the bollix he might revise that theory

I don't think Noah has a bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Red Alert wrote: »
    I'm sure TheJournal.ie will write an enraged article about the effect that "Blurred Lines" had on her.

Seeing as yesterdays rag included a story about how air conditioning is sexist, I wouldn't be surprised.

Bad Horse wrote: »
    Look, ultimately people are entitled to identify themselves however they want. Their life, their personality, their choice.

However, if someone looks like a male and someone calls them a male, they shouldn't be upset if someone calls them a male. You may identify as non-binary or whatever, but other people can't possibly know that.

I'm a piece of toast and if you don't address me as such, I'm going to have lots of faux-rage and post angry stuff on twitter, my blog, and tumblr.

galljga1 wrote: »
    I don't think Noah has a bollix.

He identifies as a bollix though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

'm not sure if this story is some sort of hoax, or what. I hope it is.

It's all a bit postmodern when you see real news articles that have come full circle and are virtually indistinguishable from satirical news articles. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

No, they're suffering from a delusion because Napoleon is a long-dead French Emperor. It's impossible to be Napoleon.

Impressive consistency there.

I'm a piece of toast and if you don't address me as such, I'm going to have lots of faux-rage and post angry stuff on twitter, my blog, and tumblr.

You just want buttering up.

• Advertisement

I'm octopussy, even though I don't have 8 of them.... You must refer to me as "they" in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The real story is that any club ever played Blurred Lines. I wouldn't stay either.

I am actually a non binary piece of toast. Butter and/or jam is acceptable but I am a bit confused about marmalade.

One a more serious note, how deeply f**ked up is it to refer to someone who raped you as "my rapist" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When I was a college student I was working full time as well. Had barely enough time to pish, never mind worry what hole it was coming out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Was it a bit silly to show the message? Maybe, but it's understandable that someone who had been raped would have a bad reaction to that song, especially if their (that wasn't hard) rapist had used the exact phrase from the song.
    I think by showing the DJ the note they just wanted to make a point about a pretty vile yet catchy song, to make people aware of how awful it is and maybe consider that when they think about playing it in public (maybe not too surprising if they're a recent graduate fresh enough from the campus environment).

Why they might expect the DJ to use the desired pronouns is beyond me, but equally beyond me is anyone defending the DJ's response.
    Someone tells you the song has upset them as it reminds them strongly of a rape they've suffered and you say “**** off you silly bitch” rather than "sorry, I didn't know it would affect someone, I just play it as a catchy song??"
    Grade A a**hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Not sure what I'm offended by but you can be damn sure I'm offended.

I'll be honest I'm not that up to date on all these pronouns, was never very good at grammar but if you are not told directly, how do you know what pronoun to use when addressing someone. Do we just start going around calling everyone "Oi, you"

Was it a bit silly to show the message? Maybe, but it's understandable that someone who had been raped would have a bad reaction to that song, especially if their (that wasn't hard) rapist had used the exact phrase from the song.

No.... I can't...

hairyslug wrote: »
    Not sure what I'm offended by but you can be damn sure I'm offended.

I'll be honest I'm not that up to date on all these pronouns, was never very good at grammar but if you are not told directly, how do you know what pronoun to use when addressing someone. Do we just start going around calling everyone "Oi, you"

Oi ye might be more appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you must have a degree in wimmins studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Person 1: *sound of quick breath as mouth is opened to begin speaking*

Person 2: "OMFG, TRIGGERED!!!"

You know it's bad when she herself is quoted perfectly and she still sounds like an absolute tit.

Men and women have tits so I guess it's probably ok to call her that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

antodeco wrote: »
    Her mates used to call her 01101101, now they just call her Syntax Error, or File not found

Greatest. Post. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

On a more serious note and excuse my ignorance, I have led a sheltered life but is this a new phenomenon.
    I'm quite young,mid 30s but when I grew up you were straight, gay or bi with the odd transvestite(that you would only see doing comedy sketches on tv), maybe that was just the group I grew up with (straight, gay and bi)
    Were all of these people that identified as something other than the above going around being non binary or non conformist or did they see themselves as gay/straight/bi.

you must have a degree in wimmins studies.

No but I may as well have, having been exposed to all the overpriced indoctrination of undergraduate school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

I think by showing the DJ the note they just wanted to make a point about a pretty vile yet catchy song, to make people aware of how awful it is and maybe consider that when they think about playing it in public (maybe not too surprising if they're a recent graduate fresh enough from the campus environment).

Why they might expect the DJ to use the desired pronouns is beyond me, but equally beyond me is anyone defending the DJ's response.
    Someone tells you the song has upset them as it reminds them strongly of a rape they've suffered and you say “**** off you silly bitch” rather than "sorry, I didn't know it would affect someone, I just play it as a catchy song??"
    Grade A a**hole.

Would they have a bad reaction because of a) the lyrics, in which case just about any song is potentially off limits and we end up with an approach to free speech compatible to the Taliban, or b) because of all the ruckus and assorted bollocks raised about the song by certain groups pushing an agenda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

What a brilliant counterpoint. I'm sold, you've converted me. Let's go stomp some queers!

So because I think having 20 different names for gender neutral or transgender is a load of bull I'm a homophobe now?

If people want to define themselves not on their birth gender they're more than welcome, more power to them and if it were my kid they'd be fully supported, but waffling on about non-binary and having a load of different names for it sounds like a load of bollock hipster "you don't understand what it's like" talk if you ask me.

Half the problem with today's generation, "How dare you define me as male or female based on my genitals! I cannot be defined, but I use these 20 buzz words instead!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

There was a thread not so long ago asking exactly what "SJW" means. The answer is people like these and anyone who defends, or worse, enables them.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Impressive consistency there.

Complete consistency in fact. Since it's impossible for a living person to be Napoleon Bonaparte as he is dead, the fact of Bonaparte's death is sufficient proof that anyone claiming to be him is at the very least lying or delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Threads about trigger warnings should really have their own trigger warning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement