Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd jersey sexist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The non-sexy will feel inadequate.

Or just maaaaybe, we're not all focused constantly on how we look to the opposite (or same) gender all of the time. Sometimes, we just want to go see a game.

I know, unbelievable, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ethel

No female shirt, sexist. Give them effeminate version, sexist. You just can't win with some people. If female supporters do not want any hint of cleaveage, then a white vest top under it would remedy the problem, or buy the the male version.

Faux outrage / attention seeking. Horseshït.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Larbre34 wrote: »
    To be fair, arent most womens clothes made to accommodate breasts, even work blouses, winter coats etc?

This is made for a womans shape, and to show a sporting support, but I wouldnt consider it sexy at all..........

http://shop.irishrugby.ie/kit-c2/jerseys-c35/ireland-rwc-2015-home-classic-l-s-womens-jersey-p3255

Accommodating is fine, accentuating is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

.This is nothing but another social media storm in a teacup.

Or even a C-cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It looks ridiculous tbh, doesnt look functional for playing in. In this day and age where womens football is becoming more and more popular i cant see why they cant just bring out a jersey for women which is good for playing in whilst having a decent fit.

The mens jersey is made for fashion and function, while the women's jersey is fashion only. Seems a bit sexist to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Samaris wrote: »
    Or just maaaaybe, we're not all focused constantly on how we look to the opposite (or same) gender all of the time.

Many do though.

I've been to hundreds of matches across several sports & looking hot on gameday is a concept that exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It looks ridiculous tbh, doesnt look functional for playing in. In this day and age where womens football is becoming more and more popular i cant see why they cant just bring out a jersey for women which is good for playing in whilst having a decent fit.

The mens jersey is made for fashion and function, while the women's jersey is fashion only. Seems a bit sexist to me.

it is not a playing jersey. its a supporters jersey. perhaps there are some female supporters that dont want to look like a sack of spuds wearing a jersey designed for a man?

Many do though.

I've been to hundreds of matches across several sports & looking hot is a concept that exists.

True. Oh whatever anyway, it's all down to whatever someone wants to wear. I'd personally prefer the option to wear a sports shirt I could actually do something in, like play sports. But I'm not a ManU supporter anyway, so it doesn't really affect me :D
    it is not a playing jersey. its a supporters jersey. perhaps there are some female supporters that dont want to look like a sack of spuds wearing a jersey designed for a man?

Although I don't think that a woman in a male jersey looks like a "sack of spuds".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

eviltwin wrote: »

Who are you, the fashion police?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah, you could buy a men's one but because of differences in sizes a small men's shirt would be swimming on an average size woman.
    (Source: Having to buy a large child's GAA jersey because apparently women wanting to wear one is strange)
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    To be fair, arent most womens clothes made to accommodate breasts, even work blouses, winter coats etc?
    Accommodate, yes. Flaunt, no. They're roomier in the chest to accommodate the breasts, but aren't so low cut that, as with this jersey, you have to wear a plunge bra with it.

Is there a regular-neck ladies shirt also available, or is this it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The keyword is Replica/Fashion top .

Most ladies i know including the wife like the the ladies version beats a shirt that was never designed for a multitude of breast sizes and bra types

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I actually have to work up a response to this, other than indifference. I think that it is nice to have a more fitted option, and there is no issue with a woman preferring to buy the men's jersey instead, or is it unisex? I suppose it is really. I can understand that it is a bit low cut which some women might be uncomfortable with, not everyone wants to have their jugs on display all the time, especially if they just want to go and watch a match. I can't see this as a reason to get your knickers in a twist though. Doesn't this discriminate against women with small boobs too? Surely there must be more ways for people to be outraged :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They seem to think that women only wear them for parading around in. I happen to play football and am a United fan. Those photos make it look like my sports bra will be higher than the neck of the jersey. I want my jerseys to be carbon copy replicas and the neck is missing the black strip of the men's one.

I have the women's version of one of the L.A. Galaxy jerseys that also has a V-neck and it's lovely. It doesn't look as deep as this one.

I'll try the jersey on sometime myself and see what it's like. If it's too low then I'll just get a boys fit. It's a shame coz the hips of the boys is narrower than the women's and that makes it less comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

kylith wrote: »
    Yeah, you could buy a men's one but because of differences in sizes a small men's shirt would be swimming on an average size woman.
    (Source: Having to buy a large child's GAA jersey because apparently women wanting to wear one is strange)

Accommodate, yes. Flaunt, no. They're roomier in the chest to accommodate the breasts, but aren't so low cut that, as with this jersey, you have to wear a plunge bra with it.

In the Man U jersey? No idea. Probably not, lots of girls just wear smaller mens sizes and rolls the sleeves / collar / waist as required.

The rugby jerseys are mostly button necked as it is

This is it, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

You can design a female jersey without having a plunging neckline on show offering fck all support. E.g some of the female G.A.A jerseys linked above.

If there is a replica United jersey for women available which had both a good fit while being fuctional then that would be fair enough tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Oh **** off. Buy the mens version if you are offended by it.

You can design a female jersey without having a plunging neckline on show offering fck all support. E.g some of the female G.A.A jerseys linked above.

If there is a replica United jersey for women available which had both a good fit while being fuctional then that would be fair enough tbh.

I just did a bit of hunting, nope, that looks like the only female option.

By the way, anyone else now getting Adidas ads at the bottom of the screen? :pac:

lertsnim wrote: »
    Oh **** off. Buy the mens version if you are offended by it.

God forbid we discuss fashion versus practicality.

This the actual top minus the larger boobs and leaning forward pose to show more cleavage

Last seasons jersey that I have is exactly this. I'll attach a photo in a minute.

• Advertisement

They should offer small versions of the mens, it would probably sell better. I can't imagine many older female fans wearing this. I can't see many parents buying it for their teenage daughters.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    This is it, unfortunately.

That's a shame. Would be nice if you had the option of having your boobs hanging out or not.

And the people saying to get a men's one; yes, that's one option, but men's clothes are a different cut to allow for broader shoulders, less 'defined' chests, and narrower hips. They're also generally much too big for an average sized woman. Imagine if you didn't like a shirt design and were told to buy one designed for an orang-utan instead. Sure, you're basically the same shape, but the cut is going to be totally different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hm, yes, maybe it was a rather harsh word to use. My point is that it's intended to accentuate sexuality of the person wearing it. Sports isn't about sexuality. If I go to see a game, I don't particularly want my cleavage showing to that extent. If I'm being active and jumping up and down, I don't particularly want to risk taking someone's eye out either! :P You'd also need to be careful what bra you wore with that - most bras that give good support will cover the cups, so a generic bra (or a sports bra) would certainly show under that.

Very, very subjective opinion there though. I mean, it's a bit disingenuous to say that everyone who watches people playing sport gets the same out of it, and for some people, of course sports and soccer is sexy! You're honestly going to tell me footballers don't have sponsorship contracts with cosmetic companies, media appearances and so on?

Ok you don't even have to go to a game, plenty of guys I see wearing the jerseys they never go to games. I'm more of a rugby fan though and there's a term for women that are attracted to rugby player types - "rugger huggers" :D

My point is really that some women clearly attend games and events and so on and want to appear attractive, less about what's going on on the playing pitch, and more about playing the field! :p

It's rather unfairly pushing the boob thing. The fellas go in their normal jerseys that look just like the real ones and support the team. The women, if they go in that look...well, they don't. It's a little patronising, I suppose. Yeah, we can just buy the male jerseys and grand. But would it have -killed- them to just make a normal jersey to go support a team thing without having to make it all about the boob-window?

It's no longer just about being able to play sport, now you have to look good too while you're doing it, and that's why there's a market for these women's jerseys, because women want them.

Patronising? Perhaps.

Meeting a demand as a fashion item? Absolutely.

. I can't see many parents buying it for their teenage daughters.

And why not have you actually seen the kit or just seen the posed cleavage shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The elephant in the room here is that plenty of women do buy "accentuating"clothes, no matter how other women feel about it.

United are one of the biggest clubs in the world so saying their shirts are mainly bought for utilitarian, sport reasons is wrong, basically. They're worn more as fashion items than for 5 a side, training and whatever.

It would be better if they provided a less revealing female version, I agree, but presumably they just assume women/girls will buy a men's/boys version if they don't want that look.

Companies of this size don't really give a fig about the politics, they just see what they perceive as a market gap and are trying to exploit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nothing wrong with the shirt, and you'd see more cleavage from the average dress worn to an irish wedding (worn and purchased by choice, not "forced" upon a girl by a football club) than that shirt does or does not display.

It does look more reasonable on the model with the smaller cleavage. However, she does look like an A-cup.

Y'know, one of the annoying aspects to the whole thing is past history with trying to find sports bras/wear to accommodate larger breast sizes. It's extremely annoying to have sports shops that just don't seem to get that people with larger cup sizes might actually like playing sports and need a bit of extra support. If you're over a larger B-size, you're starting to get into the dedicated hunting range.

No-one likes being beaned in the face with their own bust!

The shots with the cleavage are staged and taken from suggestive Angeles.
    Nothing more it's nothing to do with Breast sizes unless your purposefully wearing a top several sizes to small

anncoates wrote: »
    The elephant in the room here is that plenty of women do buy "accentuating"clothes, no matter how other women feel about it.

United are one of the biggest clubs in the world so saying their shirts are mainly bought for utilitarian, sport reasons is wrong, basically. They're worn more as fashion items than for 5 a side, training and whatever.

It would be better if they provided a less revealing female version, I agree, but presumably they just assume women/girls will buy a men's/boys version if they don't want that look.

Companies of this size don't really give a fig about the politics, they just see what they perceive as a market gap and are trying to exploit it.

And if they want to do that then it's fine but not all of us do and its not much to ask for a modest top. Football has a lot of female fans of all ages, a women's version of the mens top isn't too much to ask.

Hang on, hang on. The fact that some women sometimes choose to wear low cut tops means that we can't have an opinion on the fact that our 'choice' of these jerseys is either 'tits hanging out' or 'wear a man's one'.

Why could ManU not just have 2 women's jerseys? One low cut and one not?

• Advertisement

That's a shame. Would be nice if you had the option of having your boobs hanging out or not.

And the people saying to get a men's one; yes, that's one option, but men's clothes are a different cut to allow for broader shoulders, less 'defined' chests, and narrower hips. They're also generally much too big for an average sized woman. Imagine if you didn't like a shirt design and were told to buy one designed for an orang-utan instead. Sure, you're basically the same shape, but the cut is going to be totally different.

Here is the link to last seasons women's jersey. There's nothing different at all in terms of colour and design apart from the shape. Nike got it bang on.

Here's my LA Galaxy one.

EDIT: I'm not wearing them in those photos so don't go clicking if you're expecting boobage!

Advertisement