Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Maps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

greenttc wrote: »
    That's an interesting map, I had never really thought about how diverse the population of the Titanic was, there were people from almost every continent on that boat. There is some suspicious placing of the markers though, they have marked Limerick and Mayo passengers in some spots that are definitely not Limerick or Mayo :P

There is a Mayo in the south east, a townsland I think. Not sure which county as its somewhere around the Kilkenny/Laois/Carlow border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Type any town or city in here

https://anvaka.github.io/city-roads/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Zaph wrote: »
    The Bann

No need to Bann him for asking a question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

We are one of the warmest places in Europe

Warmest in the winter and coldest in the summer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

You can see what the effects of an atomic weapon attack would be on any town or city.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tomorrow (January 27th 2020) marks the 75th Anniversary of the Allied liberation of Auschwitz.

This map marks the origin of the victims murdered in the Auschwitz death camp by the Nazis between 1942 and 1945. EDIT: apologies for the lack of a legend/key, for some reason it didn’t copy.

20200125_GDC200_Map-Artboard_6.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭dball

Not a map but def map related,
    I thought about signing up to this but decided the 3 free games every 24 hours was enough,
    Great concept and lots of you tube competition and discussions online.
    https://geoguessr.com/maps/new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I'm not one for sharing these links but there are some great ones in here. Mainly US based but still interesting.

https://www.pupperish.com/interesting-maps

PS Love the thread!! I could spead hours just staring at maps, so glad I'm not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Fascinating interactive weather pattern map of the world from Windy.com... if you type in a location, it provides detailed data... to the right you can click on rain, waves, wind, clouds, temps, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Tomorrow (January 27th 2020) marks the 75th Anniversary of the Allied liberation of Auschwitz.

This map marks the origin of the victims murdered in the Auschwitz death camp by the Nazis between 1942 and 1945. EDIT: apologies for the lack of a legend/key, for some reason it didn’t copy.

20200125_GDC200_Map-Artboard_6.png

The scale of it is just mind boggling :(

It's curious to see locations in the UK marked; I know the Jersey Islands were occupied and people sent from there, but not the mainland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Philipx wrote: »
    I know the Jersey Islands were occupied and people sent from there, but not the mainland.

The map gives the "origin" of people sent to the camp - presumably place of birth. Families might have moved before the war or could have been visiting etc. That would also explain why there are markers in Sweden, Portugal, Switzerland and other neutral countries too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

We are one of the warmest least cold places in Europe
    FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Projected population change for Europe up to 2050.

Looks kinda scary to me, as someone living in Ireland and having not too much faith in the politicians here being able to manage that huge population change efficiently. Basically, Ireland seems to have a very big attraction factor for the populations across Europe and beyond... the future looks eh interesting.

https://i0.wp.com/factsmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/projected-population-change-european-countries-2017-2050.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

We are one of the warmest places in Europe
    hognef wrote: »
    Warmest in the winter and coldest in the summer...

We also are country with the 2nd lowest 'highest' temeprature ever recorded on earth. Our highest ever temperature was 33.3C, recorded in 1887, on what was possibly faulty equipment. Only Iceland has ever recorded a lower higher temperature; 30.5C in 1993.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

seenitall wrote: »
    Projected population change for Europe up to 2050.

Looks kinda scary to me, as someone living in Ireland and having not too much faith in the politicians here being able to manage that huge population change efficiently. Basically, Ireland seems to have a very big attraction factor for the populations across Europe and beyond... the future looks eh interesting.

https://i0.wp.com/factsmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/projected-population-change-european-countries-2017-2050.png
    In 2030 the Catholic church regains its grip on the country, thanks to a very conservative government.

The church then makes contraception illegal, and Irish families return to consisting of 18 kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Scary reading for the Moldovan government there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Worlds oldest companies *

https://imgur.com/gallery/N336g3d

*Fairly impossible to be 100%

m17 wrote: »
    z9gWPce.jpg

:)

Daily commuting to work in Manhattan by transport mode in New York City and Metro area.

lead_large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In 2030 the Catholic church regains its grip on the country, thanks to a very conservative government.

The church then makes contraception illegal, and Irish families return to consisting of 18 kids.

The Ciaráns and Jennifers won't be having them though. Much more so the Dwaynes and the Madisons.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

\m/
    11243-j4dfi1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Seth has just thrown a grenade with that map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

\m/
    11243-j4dfi1.jpg

Hey!! The Lordi thing is finally starting to make sense, 14 years later :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The heavy metal map is the best map I have ever seen, thanks for posting.

It is worth noting that the last periods off El Nino were in 1982-83, 97-98 and 2014 - 2016. Just saying. This global phenomenon is known to dramatically affect sea temperatures around the globe, including polar regions.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The heavy metal map is the best map I have ever seen, thanks for posting.
    I'd love to see a map showing the Bay Area thrash bands hometowns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I will make it my mission in life, trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Oddly enough, loads of them hail from Dublin!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin,_California

Which spawned a supergroup...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Death_Patrol

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

xZi1VaB.jpg

Percentage of workers commuting to Greater London on a daily basis, 2016

11417_85147113_0f49ff8c-d3f1-422a-88ef-313fc195ec6a.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,516 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I really pity the people who commute from lands end and the north west. They must get up before they go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I really pity the people who commute from lands end and the north west. They must get up before they go to bed.
    Train and airline staff.

According to the census, there are people who live in Tralee an commute to Dublin. I checked with the CSO and there explanation was there may be people who spend most of the week in Tralee, but then spend a few days in Dublin for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Victor wrote: »
    Train and airline staff.

According to the census, there are people who live in Tralee an commute to Dublin. I checked with the CSO and there explanation was there may be people who spend most of the week in Tralee, but then spend a few days in Dublin for work.

I know someone who does that. Works from home, but 3 days a month in Dublin. They fly up on a morning, stay in a hotel for 2 nights then fly back in 3rd evening. Cheaper than bus/train!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The 5 areas in the North East are all on the train line. Newcastle, Durham, Darlington, Leeds and York to the right. It's 3 hours from Newcastle to London Kings Cross and only* 2 hours from Leeds.

*people commute 2 hours from the south of London but they don't travel as far in that time. Fewer would travel the same time from the north.

My Mrs probably fit into that. Lived in Newcastle and based in London bit actually travelled down on monday morning and back home Tuesday evening. The rest of the week she worked from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Until they changed the law on what constituted residency for tax purposes, some people's commute involved flying into and out of London from abroad.

Debt to GDP Ratio of European Countries in 2017

debt-to-gdp-ratio-european-countries.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Victor wrote: »
    Train and airline staff.
    Healy-Rae x 2 ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

26bh8t1y8th41.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,516 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It took me a second to figure out what way that map was orientated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Thank you, thought I was the only one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's unusual to have a world map that contains New Zealand but doesn't have Brazil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I must say, this is a great thread.

Historic Environment Viewer (Leixlip shown as example)
    503379.JPG

National Monuments Service: Wreck Viewer
    DbnouXFX4AApWnY?format=jpg&name=medium

Nobel Prizes per capita. We’re not doing too badly!

nobel-laureates.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112635654&postcount=1545

Like Fun with Flags?
    Enjoy a good map?

Seterra.
    Still a great app for PC and Linux but for quite a while there's been an app for Android which has improved over the last while, and shows you (well me at least) how little you know about Maps and not as good with flags as I thought I was.
    Quite addictive when you get going.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.seterra.free

Just stumbled across this site: Hilarious Terrible Maps

599f58f663c64f678fec0a07623ddb08.jpeg

64c55f7a4fe3491899e554818c4e03fa.jpeg

75a598c14e6f443d925721ed6d9a6f4b.jpeg

68404323acf64699aeaadc7ffa72ba46.jpeg

ab6b94279ed2469f95fe5bfa6d943f5c.jpeg

0bdcebf3fa354fef8b2807e3bdcf3406.png

Time broke down 196 nation flags by color and found that 14.3 percent of flags include red, and 17.7 percent include white.
    It also found yellow in a nation’s flag shows up across five continents, which is why there’s a brown color in the center.
    08100d7ebf964e068c09aa090826988d.jpeg

• Advertisement
Advertisement