Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea green - New Housing development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

We inquired about the houses directly in front of the show houses and were told they had no completion date as yet.

Right, so thats odd

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭scrabble1498

Cluster wrote: »
    Oh right. where abouts in relation to the show house is that phase? mine literally just opposite them.

They released numbers 20 - 34 a few weeks after the initial release. I spoke to SF and they confirmed that after Seagreen Gate is finished, then they’ll
    move to Seagreen Park.

Anyone been around Seagreen Park lately - any more houses built?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 o2bearebel

Looks like Sherry Fitz are gearing up to launch a new phase in Seagreen. Anyone have an opinion on whether launch prices will continue to rise in this area and whether they're worth it ? Last phase was selling 4 bed semi-d's for about 545k (which seems like South Dublin prices in Wicklow..)

o2bearebel wrote: »
    Looks like Sherry Fitz are gearing up to launch a new phase in Seagreen. Anyone have an opinion on whether launch prices will continue to rise in this area and whether they're worth it ? Last phase was selling 4 bed semi-d's for about 545k (which seems like South Dublin prices in Wicklow..)

I think the last few will have bigger gardens so will be more expensive, not a 100% on that. There can only be another 30 houses left up there to build i think on that plot of land anyway. Possibly a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Anyone have an opinion on whether launch prices will continue to rise in this area and whether they're worth it ?

Will an estate agent achieve the highest price possible? Of course they will.
    Are these homes worth it? In my opinion no, but many will argue that a house is worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for it.
    Last phase was selling 4 bed semi-d's for about 545k (which seems like South Dublin prices in Wicklow..)

Welcome to Greystones :)
    Comparable price points with south Dublin is the new norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Donnelna

The houses are definitely not worth €545. Greystones is nice but it’s not South Dublin. Unless you’re retired with a nice fat pension you’re going to face into a massive commute wherever you work, especially for town where most of the jobs that could afford a 545 mortgage are! You’re over 30km from town, so you’d have a massive commute. At least an hour to an hour and a half. At that distance from work it’d make more sense to buy in Maynooth or Meath, you’ve the same length of a commute but get much better quality for your money! You won’t be crippled with a massive mortgage for a house you’d be leaving before 7am and coming home to after 7pm so you’d only get to enjoy the house at the weekends.

Plus house prices in South Dublin dropped by 4% last year and are likely to drop again this year given the uncertainty over Brexit. We don’t know how things will go with Brexit, it looks like Boris is going to go for a WTO No Deal style Brexit, which will cause a shock to the Irish economy. It’d be very silly now to pay boom time prices when it looks like we could be facing into another crash.

Donnelna wrote: »
    The houses are definitely not worth €545. Greystones is nice but it’s not South Dublin. Unless you’re retired with a nice fat pension you’re going to face into a massive commute wherever you work, especially for town where most of the jobs that could afford a 545 mortgage are! You’re over 30km from town, so you’d have a massive commute. At least an hour to an hour and a half. At that distance from work it’d make more sense to buy in Maynooth or Meath, you’ve the same length of a commute but get much better quality for your money! You won’t be crippled with a massive mortgage for a house you’d be leaving before 7am and coming home to after 7pm so you’d only get to enjoy the house at the weekends.

Plus house prices in South Dublin dropped by 4% last year and are likely to drop again this year given the uncertainty over Brexit. We don’t know how things will go with Brexit, it looks like Boris is going to go for a WTO No Deal style Brexit, which will cause a shock to the Irish economy. It’d be very silly now to pay boom time prices when it looks like we could be facing into another crash.

Interested to know what you are basing the 'not worth 545k' on. Have you compared house builds across the board? Based it on quality of materials? or just in general, house prices everywhere are not worth it or is it just a Greystones builds arent worth it? Have you been in the houses? talked to the various tradesmen/ builder? talked to people living there? I have, keen to hear what you've gathered compared to me. Obviously very different.

Ive a mate who said the same thing about not buying because of a crash, that was in 2008 and he still hasnt bought anywhere, saying the same thing now, again. I've got kids growing and life is happening to me so I dont have the luxury of waiting and hedging my bets when the 'next thing' might happen. i wish I was clairvoyant, be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SummerSun20

Has anyone any updates on when the current phase will be finished?

Has anyone any updates on when the current phase will be finished?

My house ready to move in in October this year apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SummerSun20

Cluster wrote: »
    My house ready to move in in October this year apparently.

Thanks for responding, do you mind if I ask if that was the original finish date or if it reflects delays following shut down etc? Thanks

Thanks for responding, do you mind if I ask if that was the original finish date or if it reflects delays following shut down etc? Thanks

oh no, pushed out by months due to pandemic. I was up there the other day, possible it will be done by October now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DC3

Hi, we have been in a number of months, but we were pushed out month by month,then week by week.
    I wouldn't rely on the move-in date provider by the builder.
    The experience with the developer has been most unpleasant, to put it mildly.
    I'm curious to know if anyone else had had a better experience with the Wood Group?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 igsigs

DC3 wrote: »
    Hi, we have been in a number of months, but we were pushed out month by month,then week by week.
    I wouldn't rely on the move-in date provider by the builder.
    The experience with the developer has been most unpleasant, to put it mildly.
    I'm curious to know if anyone else had had a better experience with the Wood Group?

We're just at the start of the process, so no dealings with them yet. Can I ask what specific issues you've had with them? What was your original promised completion date and what are they telling you now?

We've been told Feb for a house that they haven't started building yet, so I'm a little skeptical of that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have not had any direct experience with Wood Group so I can not comment on whether they are pleasant or not to deal with. However I have worked in the construction industry a very long time and their reputation is very good in terms of quality of workmanship. I have also worked (as an electrician) in some of the homes they have built (long after they left) and was impressed with the build quality. In the long run this is far more important that how friendly they are.

I am still fixing some of the issues left behind by Durkan Residential more than a decade after they finished building my home :mad:

We were told Sep, but it turned out to be December and that was at a real push on our part to get in before Xmas.
    We closed the sale to get in early, believing them when they said they would sort everything highlighted on the snag.
    that was a mistake, communication is poor at best, and I regret taking them at their word, especially on a number of larger items, which they have now rowed back on.

Greystones is great, and the neighours in Seagreen all seem really nice, and the only complaints I would have about the house are likely common to all new builds, but dealing with the builder has been very unpleasant.
    I guess to sum up my experience, I would not buy a house from them again.

I hope my experience is exceptional, but everyone I have spoken with have had some complaint, some minor, some major, about them. That said, the tradesmen that worked for them we spoke to always spoke highly of them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Our experience with them has always been very positive to be honest, they've never refused to fix things. The only issue we've ever had was the timelines were very fluffy, but that's common to all developers.

What's the major things they didn't do for you?

I'm glad to hear you've had a positive experience, I wish I could say the same.
    They have never refused to fix anything, just havent fixed it. There have been a few big items that they have committed to sorting (verbally), but when followed up, the solution is further diluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CanalEnd

Are they building more houses in Seagreen Gate behind the hoarding or is there a green planned for there?

CanalEnd wrote: »
    Are they building more houses in Seagreen Gate behind the hoarding or is there a green planned for there?

A green. No more houses in Seagreen Gate.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the houses are still on schedule - well, the revised schedule? Our house was due to be ready by July (phase 2 Seagreen gate) which was pushed to December because of COVID19.

We were told that they're still on schedule. Ours is due in Feb and they're still saying that is the case. We had a site visit and it looks like a good bit of building has occurred in the last month.

Thanks igsigs!

When you say site visit, do you mean a visit to the show house or to your actual site? We’re trying to organise a visit to the actual site (our house is at the edge of the site so could view it from the road up to the farm) as we want to see what the garden is going to be like, ie sloped or flat.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, we went to the actual site of the house. Here's a photo if interested!

Yes, the garden slope was our big surprise, it's seriously sloped, so we were quite disappointed with that. If anyone here has done some clever/cool things with a tiered garden, I'd love to hear about or see a photo. I'm on Google & Instagram looking for inspiration!

There is no shortage of tiered gardens in Seagreen for inspiration. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 C_L20

Hi there,
    We’re buying in Seagreen and due to have snagging by first week in December. Does anyone have a Snagger they can recommend??

Does anyone know what the story with the tiling is? Do we buy these? The tiler mentioned his but this was news to me? The brochure and buyers letter says “tiling allowance”.

Can’t get through to the electrician for some extras despite a few phone calls.

If any people in seagreen who have moved in recently know hat would be super!

Dealing with woodgroup has been most unpleasant, have had one email (saying they would respond when they return from their builders holiday last week) from them in the 12 months of having a signed contract in place. Genuinely would have avoided this house purchase had I known the severe delays, lack of communication through these times . We were originally told house completion in May... it’s now looking like December/January now if we are lucky! We have NEVER seen our house site despite multiple requests (also pre-covid) so anyone signing a contract make sure you do before you sign. They are all over you at that point with comms so de get that in there first! Prepare to hen have zero contact from woodgroup until 6 weeks before your snagging date...hoping that this hasn’t been the case for everyone !!

C_L20 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    We’re buying in Seagreen and due to have snagging by first week in December. Does anyone have a Snagger they can recommend??

Does anyone know what the story with the tiling is? Do we buy these? The tiler mentioned his but this was news to me? The brochure and buyers letter says “tiling allowance”.

Can’t get through to the electrician for some extras despite a few phone calls.

If any people in seagreen who have moved in recently know hat would be super!

Dealing with woodgroup has been most unpleasant, have had one email (saying they would respond when they return from their builders holiday last week) from them in the 12 months of having a signed contract in place. Genuinely would have avoided this house purchase had I known the severe delays, lack of communication through these times . We were originally told house completion in May... it’s now looking like December/January now if we are lucky! We have NEVER seen our house site despite multiple requests (also pre-covid) so anyone signing a contract make sure you do before you sign. They are all over you at that point with comms so de get that in there first! Prepare to hen have zero contact from woodgroup until 6 weeks before your snagging date...hoping that this hasn’t been the case for everyone !!

Is that Seagreen Park?

Ray is the tiler, allowance covers his labour, you'll have to purchase tiles. Hes a nice lad just busy.

We just noticed the tiered garden and asked about the finish, look to Seagreen park for what they will finish it with, concrete. Doesnt look too bad but be prepared.

Im using Tom Costello from http://www.homesnag.ie/

Tom has snagged houses in Seagreen already so knows the builders and knows the issues, I would advise using him. Ive worked with him years ago and hes done a great job on a previous house, very handy man to know.

You look like a neighbour of mine. DM me for more info.

igsigs wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, we went to the actual site of the house. Here's a photo if interested!

Yes, the garden slope was our big surprise, it's seriously sloped, so we were quite disappointed with that. If anyone here has done some clever/cool things with a tiered garden, I'd love to hear about or see a photo. I'm on Google & Instagram looking for inspiration!

Seagreen park will have the same finish as you (and me). Call over to those guys next time you are in the area and ask them what theyve done with it.

No contact until close to closing is pretty normal. After you sign there's just a long stretch where there's no news for you, they don't have time to give everyone a running commentary on progress on their house.

• Advertisement

We’re due to snag week ending 11th December so looks like we’ll be neighbours too.

We haven’t had much contact with wood group either, just one email to say when they anticipated we’d be snagging. Have asked them for an update but haven’t heard anything back. We bought a new build a few years ago and had major delays getting in so we always took the promised date of completion (July, in our case) with a pinch of salt.

Does anyone know what the different paint colours are for the walls? According to the brochure, we have a choice of three.

Advertisement