Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cancelled and Rescheduled gigs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

tommybrees wrote: »
    Any word on green day at the RDS?

I'd say that tour will be scrapped altogether at this stage, can't see it being postponed into 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

PCros wrote: »
    I'd say that tour will be scrapped altogether at this stage, can't see it being postponed into 2022.

With so much marketing and big sponsors I'd say they will postpone to 2022. As well as Europe there playing a load of US dates too from the 14th July- 29th Aug. The US dates happening this year might be a possibility With Europe then in 2022

Nobody knows really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    With so much marketing and big sponsors I'd say they will postpone to 2022. As well as Europe there playing a load of US dates too from the 14th July- 29th Aug. The US dates happening this year might be a possibility With Europe then in 2022

Nobody knows really

I agree. Cancelling gigs is an inordinately costly approach. And a sizeable chunk of revenue would already be committed or spent so cancelling would be the very last thing to do given the cost. They're far more likely to keep punting the gig out til they can make it.

I agree. Cancelling gigs is an inordinately costly approach. And a sizeable chunk of revenue would already be committed or spent so cancelling would be the very last thing to do given the cost. They're far more likely to keep punting the gig out til they can make it.

Harley Davison is one of the big sponsors

Those lads won't want a cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I doubt it. With a significant portion of society likely coming off PUP (and the age profile of the majority on PUP), it's a bad look to gouge punters now when they've had little to no money or have been struggling. And with ongoing scepticism on when a gig may actually happen, raising prices would kill advance sales.

I could be wrong but l think they'll stay fairly static.

When TheWeeknd added extra dates to his US tour after the Superbowl the prices were reduced from the previous dates.
    I'd expect Ticketmaster and promoters to try and get their cash flow going as quickly as possible so gouging doesn't seem likely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Isle of Wight Festival has announced they are moving the festival to the 16th-19th of September

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Damon Albarn gig scheduled for April postpone to February 2022. https://twitter.com/NCH_Music/status/1367052196278321160?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭exilec

Echo and the Bunnymen now changed from June to February

Eod100 wrote: »
    Damon Albarn gig scheduled for April postpone to February 2022. https://twitter.com/NCH_Music/status/1367052196278321160?s=19

Thanks. I picked up tickets for this as they sold out first time round so was able to nab two (obviously returned) tickets. Hurrah.

• Advertisement

Ailbhe Reddys Button Factory gig in May rescheduled to November

https://twitter.com/singularartists/status/1367143290223624193

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0303/1200829-entertainment-industry-clarity/

Sadly they will be told a big fat 'No we cant be hosting events this summer due to the variants' or some other waffle

Going to be frustrating seeing the UK and other European countries hosting events

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0303/1200829-entertainment-industry-clarity/

Sadly they will be told a big fat 'No we cant be hosting events this summer due to the variants' or some other waffle

Going to be frustrating seeing the UK and other European countries hosting events

I think most EU countries are being more cautious than the UK with their reopening, tbh I still think its risky just opening up full steam ahead and going straight into massive crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Wish it wasn't so, but given that most US acts are going to find it prohibitively expensive to just play apparently "COVID-Safe" countries like the UK, I think summer festivals' line ups are going to be pretty piss poor. As has been the case with Reading and Leeds.

Wish the EU would pull its bloody finger out re the vaccines. It's a sad state of affairs when the likes of Bojo and Nick H look like the smartest guys in the room

hkjohn wrote: »
    Wish it wasn't so, but given that most US acts are going to find it prohibitively expensive to just play apparently "COVID-Safe" countries like the UK, I think summer festivals' line ups are going to be pretty piss poor. As has been the case with Reading and Leeds.

Wish the EU would pull its bloody finger out re the vaccines. It's a sad state of affairs when the likes of Bojo and Nick H look like the smartest guys in the room

Having the fourth worst death rate in the world doesn't make the UK look smart to anyone with more than a short term memory. And whilst the bluster of allowing gigs sound great, there's a lot to work out before they go ahead.

I agree though that until European tours en masse are safe to do so, US acts just won't plan gigs or tour abroad. There are too many variables that can derail a tour or part of tour that the insurance costs alone would likely be prohibitive until we're out the other side of this. And on top of that, the demand for gigs domestically will be huge so there'll be a huge market there to keep them ticking over

Can see gigs being primarily local talent when gigs return for a decent period of time.

We may not see Ian Brown over hear anytime soon if the "Vaccination Passport" is introduced as he already pulled out of the Neighbourhood festival that was moved to later in the year because he is against the vaccine etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

We may not see Ian Brown over hear anytime soon if the "Vaccination Passport" is introduced as he already pulled out of the Neighbourhood festival that was moved to later in the year because he is against the vaccine etc

Silver linings .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

And anti-mask too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Zardoz

There was no insurance cover announced in the UK budget yesterday so the chances of Reading and Leeds and other big festivals going ahead this summer is very slim as they have no insurance cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

Most people don't know how expensive it is for bands to come to Europe. Its normal to make a loss or just break even your first 3 tours before you start to make money. Its all about building an audience. If the UK goes ahead with summer festivals which it won't they would have half their lineups cancel. Flying a band and crew to Europe to play a UK date, but not be able to play the France, Germany, Denmark dates before their Poland date for example would destroy a band. They'd need new flights, new accommodation, food etc to cover the days in-between. Thats before Covid passports and negative tests are factored in.

Before starting a tour you put yourself in debt and the gigs + merchandise pay that off. With no certainty of being able to play or even enter a country I can't see many tours going ahead.

• Advertisement

drawnacrol wrote: »
    Before starting a tour you put yourself in debt and the gigs + merchandise pay that off. With no certainty of being able to play or even enter a country I can't see many tours going ahead.

Also the reason why tours are being rescheduled rather than cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

exilec wrote: »
    PAUL HEATON & JACQUI ABBOTT
    We’re very sorry and enormously frustrated to have to make this announcement, but due to the ongoing situation & social distancing rules around the UK & Ireland we have once again been forced into rescheduling our forthcoming tour dates. We’ve now moved the UK dates to October 2021 (full list below) and we’re still working on new dates for Ireland which will be announced at some point in the coming weeks. Your tickets remain valid for all the new dates. We‘re extremely sorry for any inconvenience caused by this but can’t wait to see and perform for you all. ‘Til then stay safe.

No update on this anywhere? I've got tickets for the Galway gig but no information on the rescheduled dates.

Have 2 gigs after the summer in the 3Arena Genesis in September and Elton John in December

A small glimmer of hope is that there both Uk based acts and have dates scheduled for cities around the UK. Elton John having European/UK dates is a little more problematic as i don't think he would postpone the European ones and do the UK/Ireland dates. Then it's all about getting the green light from the cautious Irish government and NPHET about mass gatherings. We have already lost the Euro 2020/21 games in Dublin due to them playing a massive part

Sadly the wait will have to go on for Green Day and MCR as i don't see them touring Europe this summer

Wait and see i suppose

Have 2 gigs after the summer in the 3Arena Genesis in September and Elton John in December

A small glimmer of hope is that there both Uk based acts and have dates scheduled for cities around the UK. Elton John having European/UK dates is a little more problematic as i don't think he would postpone the European ones and do the UK/Ireland dates. Then it's all about getting the green light from the cautious Irish government and NPHET about mass gatherings. We have already lost the Euro 2020/21 games in Dublin due to them playing a massive part

Sadly the wait will have to go on for Green Day and MCR as i don't see them touring Europe this summer

Wait and see i suppose

As much as im dying to go to gigs, Id still be in favour of a cautious re-opening of the country then the UK.

Having the fourth worst death rate in the world doesn't make the UK look smart to anyone with more than a short term memory.

Wasn't talking about the UK's death rate which I agree is atrocious, I was talking about the success of their vaccination policy in getting something like 20,000,000 folk vaccinated in under three months.

Anyway, back on topic. I see Vicar Street started selling tickets for Richard Thompson in November. Much as I love RT, there is no way I am going to risk going to a gig that early - even assuming it goes ahead, which is hard to see.

Other thing about UK acts playing Ireland and mainland Europe is that Bojo and the boys have failed to realize how much music contributes to the UK economy (something like UK£6 billion apparently). As a result, when gigs eventually return, touring acts from the UK will all have to get not only visas but also obtain customs clearance for their gear for every EU country where they are booked to play a gig.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

TM are some shower, making it so complicated to get a refund on tickets. Asking for details they already have to try and deter you from pressing on to get a refund.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/european-festivals-mad-cool-exit-lowlands-2894787?fbclid=IwAR12cKChhGXZ88nCMvuOtBqKaf4XHiR6CJqy70N8J96udESeUeImvfF7yeY

Decent article from the likes of Lowlands/Mad Cool/Roskilde/EXIT festivals about whats happening in summer 2021. Also Rock in Rio Lisbon & Brazil have been postponed to summer 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Wasn't talking about the UK's death rate which I agree is atrocious, I was talking about the success of their vaccination policy in getting something like 20,000,000 folk vaccinated in under three months.

Tories have decieded that they know more than scientists when it comes to vaccination, so have decided that the gap between 1st and 2nd doses should be 12 weeks, rather than the manufacturers recommended 4.

So, a person who gets their first shot today in Ireland will have their second shot on 3rd April. Job done.
    Person in the UK gets first shot today won't have their second one until sometime in early June.

Person is not considered fully vaccinated until a couple of weeks after they have had their second shot.
    So, my point is that it's not a level playing field, lets check back in June and see how both countries are looking at that stage.

Tories have decieded that they know more than scientists when it comes to vaccination, so have decided that the gap between 1st and 2nd doses should be 12 weeks, rather than the manufacturers recommended 4.

So, a person who gets their first shot today in Ireland will have their second shot on 3rd April. Job done.
    Person in the UK gets first shot today won't have their second one until sometime in early June.

Person is not considered fully vaccinated until a couple of weeks after they have had their second shot.
    So, my point is that it's not a level playing field, lets check back in June and see how both countries are looking at that stage.

The original topic is cancelled or rescheduled gigs and the possibility (unlikely imho) of festivals taking place
    in the UK this summer.

If you want to discuss/argue the efficacy of the govt's vaccine roll-out in more detail than my throwaway
    comment would seem to warrant, am sure there are better threads on which to do it than this.

• Advertisement

The Killers have postponed their UK and Ireland tour till 2022

Advertisement