Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Intruder Alarms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Supercell wrote: »
    There's a reason he is moving on..perhaps for the same reasons I am planning on doing the same myself once funds permit, the Yale "smart" systems are junk IMHO.
    Very hard to pair sensors and once the battery dies in the sensors are virtually impossible to re-pair it in my experience, couple that with little or no warning that the battery is gone or going, worked on a door sensor but none of the PIR's. Then there is the frequent times the control unit goes offline even when the broadband isn't. Had enough of it, dont trust my house security to it when away at all.

I have to say my experience of the Yale Alarm has been very different to yours. I bought it two years ago following a burglary and never had a problem with it in all that time, bar changing the batteries on a PIR and a door/window contact - but these re-paired with the hub no hassle afterwards. I was using the Yale 'Smart' Home Alarm as opposed to the 'Sync'.

It does have a few pros and cons alright;

Pros;
    - Easy to setup
    - Relatively cheap as smart alarms go
    - Nice big visible external bell box. Ajax one seems a bit less of a deterrent (but maybe slicker) in comparison.

Cons;
    - No integration with Alexa
    - Poor integration with Hue - It allows you flash the lights red, which would be really annoying if you had to get up in the night to investigate an alarm. A few more options to activate scenes with an alarm would be more useful
    - I had used IFTTT to trigger lights on alarm activation with varying results

However the reason I am changing system is mostly driven by the house we have moved into. Otherwise I wouldn't even consider it!

- New house has way more opening windows which need to be covered and window frames are a dark colour, the Yale sensors only come in white - and I don't want a pile of white sensors on the window frames, they will stick out like a sore thumb!

- I want to put one shock/inertia sensor on each window - which you can't get with Yale. Ajax will allow me to do that, and also allows me to loop to existing reed switches on the other openings with the existing wiring.

So even though Ajax is more expensive generally, I will need to buy less sensors to cover all windows by combining with existing reed switches than I would if I just expanded my Yale system.

- The range of the Ajax system is much larger too and will cover my shed outside (30m from hub). The Yale wont let me do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Has anyone tried or working with trying to integrate existing alarm sensors into the Ajax system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sell me the Yale second hand :D

You can make an offer by PM if you want

I have;

1 x Hub (includes Internal Siren)
    3 x Door/Window Contacts
    2 x PIR
    1 x Keypad
    1 x External Siren
    1 x Smart Socket

All Yale SR system

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Seems like I have got a lemon one so, like my Google Nest, this smart home lark doesnt seem to agree with my home!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

New Ajax products announced today including the Hub2+.
    It has 4G, Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity and unlike the older Hub+ that I have, it can also handle the Motioncam (which I only realised after I started to install it :o ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got my Ajax system about a week ago.
    Even though I didn't order any MotionCam I went with the Hub2 just in case I want to add them in future.
    Haven't gotten around to installing it yet other than one or two sensors but so far I'm impressed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There really is seriously impressive comms channel options.

Up to 4 comms channels supported, wifi, ethernet, plus 2 separate sims. And each sim can flip between 4g/3g/2g!!

That really is a fantastic level of redundancy. Probably more then most homes need.

The new MultiTransmitter is also very interesting for people with old wired alarm systems that might want to reuse the sensors:
    https://ajax.systems/products/multitransmitter/

bk wrote: »

Up to 4 comms channels supported, wifi, ethernet, plus 2 separate sims. And each sim can flip between 4g/3g/2g!!

That really is a fantastic level of redundancy. Probably more then most homes need.

The new MultiTransmitter is also very interesting for people with old wired alarm systems that might want to reuse the sensors:

Hugely interesting if I could find someone to install :-)

Have HKC system in 50% of house and wife wants to deploy to rest of house but I want to move to smart....dont think I would be able to integrate myself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sounds good.

Many alarms use “world SIMs”. That way they can hop to the strongest available network. So if for example Vodafone is down they can switch to Three seamlessly.

2011 wrote: »
    Sounds good.

Many alarms use “world SIMs”. That way they can hop to the strongest available network. So if for example Vodafone is down they can switch to Three seamlessly.

That's what I put in mine. Seems to use Eir 3G a lot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

New Ajax products announced today including the Hub2+.
    It has 4G, Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity and unlike the older Hub+ that I have, it can also handle the Motioncam (which I only realised after I started to install it :o ).

I can't find any info on the Ajax site about new products. Did they pull the info?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anybody got a nest secure? Does it work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Hi lads

Really interested in this but a newbie to security alarms.
    I'm reasonably tech savy and I fancy being able to install the system myself but not sure where best to get it.

Can anyone recommend what package to get and where from?
    I know each house is different but I need a package that covers all the main items and I can add extras for each window/doors etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Brego888 wrote: »
    Hi lads

I'm reasonably tech savy and I fancy being able to install the system myself but not sure where best to get it.

I know each house is different but I need a package that covers all the main items and I can add extras for each window/doors etc

That is a difficult question to answer. It can depend on so much, in particular what is your budget.

If you are going DIY, then probably a pure wireless system is what you will be looking for, unless you have good wiring/electrical skills.

I don't have it myself, but on paper the Ajax System looks excellent, only downside is that it is more expensive system.

If you are on a strict budget, I've a Yale Alarm system, not as good as the Ajax (on paper), but works fine for me, but is missing features of the Ajax.

Then there are also systems like Ring and Nest Secure.

You will also need to decide how many and what type of sensors to get. The Ajax system has an incredible ranges of sensors. The number and type of sensors will make a big difference to the final cost.

Let us know if you have questions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got the Yale alarm from Amazon, absolute piece of piss to install and I wouldn't consider myself that DIY minded person. It ticks a lot of boxes for me because it's easy to add to, has an app, etc. etc. but I haven't used it since I installed it so can't give an honest opinion on it, the main reason I haven't used it is because I installed it in Feb and I don't think we've left the house since.

Ok wife losing the plot as I haven't finished off alarm :-) even with a new camera system installed she was in house on her own last night and turning on and off lights etc

SO option is to spend 1k to finish off the HKC system or try and retrofit a system while reusing the the HKC already in place. I have yet to be convinced any of the systems will be able to reuse the existing, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Brego888 wrote: »
    Hi lads

I ordered my Ajax from Spain via https://best-alarm-system.eu/. I believe someone else in boards has used this reseller in Latvia - https://www.megateh.eu.

As bk says, it's not a cheap system but I've mine installed about 8 months now and I'm very happy with it. I did the install and it's very straight forward with plenty of tutorials and good documentation on Ajax website.
    If your reasonably tech savy, and you've got the budget for it, then you won't regret it.

Only thing I'm waiting for is public API access to allow integration to other automation services like Hubitat, Home Assistant or even Google Home. Ajax app itself though works very well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok wife losing the plot as I haven't finished off alarm :-) even with a new camera system installed she was in house on her own last night and turning on and off lights etc

SO option is to spend 1k to finish off the HKC system or try and retrofit a system while reusing the the HKC already in place. I have yet to be convinced any of the systems will be able to reuse the existing, or am I missing something?

Friend of mine had the same issue and he got a Yale system with just the pinpad and app, kept the wife happy that she could set the alarm and gave him a bit of time to figure it all out when he knew his cameras were more than enough security.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Was looking at a Yale but went for a ring alarm. installed it in one hour, Super piece of kit, no regrets

• Advertisement

The Ring stuff looks brilliant, when I was upgrading I was going down the Google path and didn't want to have a mix of Google and Amazon and as the Nest Alarm wasn't available in Europe I went for the Yale option.

Mrs. Clareman likes simple things, hence why she married me.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has gone and converted their traditional alarm to something from these guys: https://konnected.io/

Would be interested to hear about the any feedback / ease of use etc.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

Are there any alarms that can work along with a bog standard alarm

Have standard alarm with sensors but no app or notifications etc

Was looking at the Ring Alarm to compliment this. So put up the sensors on doors and windows and camera.

Would this be the best option and can build up sensor as cash becomes available? Also is there any wiring for the Ring Alarm for the base station and the keypad

Got prices to get rid of existing alarm and install new one but wondering if I can get one that has app and notifications and more affordable price

Irish Gunner, with existing alarms you might have three options:

1) Depending on the type of alarm system you currently have, you maybe able to upgrade it to add app support and reuse the existing sensors. Upgrade maybe just adding a new box next to your existing control panel or if older replacing the control panel with a newer one.

2) You might be able to buy a new, modern wireless system and you maybe able to reuse (at least partly) your existing sensors with it. The Ajax System has just released a new box that could allow you reuse your existing wired sensors (not wireless ones) with it, at least partly. This is just a newly launched product, so I'm not sure anyone has used it yet.

3) You could just get a new system and completely replace your old system with it. This is what I did, I replaced my HKC system with a DIY Yale System. It works fine, though I do think it misses a few features, I'll probably upgrade to the Ajax system some day. But Ajax a lot more expensive, so depends on your budget and needs.

Ring Alarm looks ok, but it isn't anything special either. I think the fact that it is missing an external bell box (SAAB) is a major downside, you really need that in Ireland where most burglars will think you don't have an alarm, if you don't have the bell box. At the very least, I'd recommend getting a fake external bell box if going with the Ring alarm.

The other issues with the Ring (and Yale too) is no shock sensors and you need a subscription if you want dual path comms.

1) Depending on the type of alarm system you currently have, you maybe able to upgrade it to add app support and reuse the existing sensors. Upgrade maybe just adding a new box next to your existing control panel or if older replacing the control panel with a newer one.

2) You might be able to buy a new, modern wireless system and you maybe able to reuse (at least partly) your existing sensors with it. The Ajax System has just released a new box that could allow you reuse your existing wired sensors (not wireless ones) with it, at least partly. This is just a newly launched product, so I'm not sure anyone has used it yet.

3) You could just get a new system and completely replace your old system with it. This is what I did, I replaced my HKC system with a DIY Yale System. It works fine, though I do think it misses a few features, I'll probably upgrade to the Ajax system some day. But Ajax a lot more expensive, so depends on your budget and needs.

Ring Alarm looks ok, but it isn't anything special either. I think the fact that it is missing an external bell box (SAAB) is a major downside, you really need that in Ireland where most burglars will think you don't have an alarm, if you don't have the bell box. At the very least, I'd recommend getting a fake external bell box if going with the Ring alarm.

The other issues with the Ring (and Yale too) is no shock sensors and you need a subscription if you want dual path comms.

Hi BK,

Do you have any detail on this new box from Ajax that allows you to re-use existing sensors?

Cheers
    Paul

Hi BK,

Do you have any detail on this new box from Ajax that allows you to re-use existing sensors?

Cheers
    Paul

I guess it is this one?

mcgovern wrote: »

Thanks very much for that, now that's a very interesting solution. I've got my house wired with existing sensors, which I'd like to stay using instead of having to swap them all, but also be able to use them for Home Assistant triggers.

Additionally, it would nice to have a tool that allows me to integrate wireless sensors for other areas, and fire / smoke / carbon etc alarms. This might be a nice way of not having to spend a clean fortune on a 100% new system.

Thanks very much for that, now that's a very interesting solution. I've got my house wired with existing sensors, which I'd like to stay using instead of having to swap them all, but also be able to use them for Home Assistant triggers.

Additionally, it would nice to have a tool that allows me to integrate wireless sensors for other areas, and fire / smoke / carbon etc alarms. This might be a nice way of not having to spend a clean fortune on a 100% new system.

If I could find someone to install it would be a great option

I haven't integrated mine into Home Assistant yet but I belive you can't see the sensors themselves (as in say Door Sensor etc), only the current state.
    So Armed/Not Armed. Fire/No Fire. Leak/No Leak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Current box is from China and sensors on the windows have individual batteries. Alarm guy I use did not recognize this alarm they never seen it before. Got quote of €970 for HKC 10270 Hybird Alarm/including

HKC RF PIR/ Sensors and contacts(2)
    External Bell with Strobe light
    Airtech Internal Siren
    12 volt Back up battery
    Pyronix dual Pir Sensor(2)
    HKC Gsm wifi
    Fused Spur 3 amp
    HKC RF contact white

This would do the job but trying to justify the price and wondering if good price?? I would like it but Miss Gunner thinks Alarm we have should do as just moved in and wants to use €€€ in other parts of the house

Not sure if we can install Satel GPRS-A communicator?? Was looking at Ajax but as relatively new was holding out but seems to do the job.

Ring yeah no external bell was wondering if it can hook up to existing bell on the house

Advertisement