Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Cadet Programme 2019

Options
  • 09-05-2019 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I notice last years closing date would have been next week. Haven't heard any info as to whether they're skipping this year? Nothing on their site.

I don't see any dedicated thread here either, so perhaps they are...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

I was wondering the same and was thinking about it recently. I believe they ran a fairly substantial direct entry programme this year, so may be taking a year off recruiting ab initio cadets? Who knows, the webpage with the info on it hasn't been changed in months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I haven't heard anything about it this year so can't say anything for certain. However the last number of years cadets returned from Jerez to the line at the height of the summer schedule, which is a pain training wise, so maybe they're just delaying it a few months to facilitate better timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dreamliner

A few years back they only opened it mid June, i wouldn't be concerned. It's definitely going to return at some point, when that time is depends on various things, for now I'd be focussed on being ready for when it does arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 A320dub87

I was placed in a holding pool along with others after last years cadetship campaign.
    A group of us have now been told that we will be starting training toward the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

A320dub87 wrote: »
    I was placed in a holding pool along with others after last years cadetship campaign.
    A group of us have now been told that we will be starting training toward the end of the year.

Great news, congratulations! I heard a rumour a couple of days ago that they are working on securing the cadet scheme for the next 5 years with more candidates than the recent classes being selected each year.

• Advertisement

Thanks! I've also heard rumours that they will open recruitment again soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Well looking at the last few announcements about fleet expansion I think a cadet program would help to secure personnel for their fleet.

stainluss wrote: »
    I notice last years closing date would have been next week. Haven't heard any info as to whether they're skipping this year? Nothing on their site.

I don't see any dedicated thread here either, so perhaps they are...
    Applications due to reopen at the end of this month ��

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Do you have a link. My search only threw up last years articles and blogs.

Once its official I can start a new thread on it.

it should go up online at the end of the month according to sources. Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

There was a cryptic post on Linkedin today hinting at it opening soon, i'd be getting prepared if anyone is thinking of applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Thanks for the update Brennus.

This is excellent news and fair play to Aer Lingus, we could do with this becoming more common in the industry. Does anyone know how many they're planning on hiring?

I saw a short segment on RTE about it earlier and it was more highlighting the shortage of female pilots rather than the programme itself. While I'm all for encouraging females into the industry, I really hope they don't have quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It closes on the 8th of July so get your applications in, tout suite!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DustPan12

Hi all,

So I have applied for Aer Lingus’s Future Pilots Programme, for the first time as in previous years I missed the deadline!

Whilst it is early days and the deadline for applicants was today, I was wondering for those that have applied before (or are Pilots) I am wanting to prepare in advance. Becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot has been something I have wanted for as long as I can remember but unfortunately due to training costs, this has remained a dream... until now (hopefully) and what more, the thoughts of working for imo, Ireland’s best airline is even more of a dream!

So, my question - what should I do to prepare? Aside from the ‘stages of progression’ with the application, what should I expect?

Would there be reading material that’s recommended for preparation for beginner Pilots and for the actual Programme?

I want to refresh my memory in regards to maths and physics, is there any particular books/ authors that are of recommendation? I have read there is a need for an intensive knowledge of Maths and Physics, whilst others say Basic is required.

Any help/ suggestions/ tips/ recommendations or even some more in-depth knowledge about the stages/ questions asked in interview would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

DustPan12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I have applied for Aer Lingus’s Future Pilots Programme, for the first time as in previous years I missed the deadline!

Whilst it is early days and the deadline for applicants was today, I was wondering for those that have applied before (or are Pilots) I am wanting to prepare in advance. Becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot has been something I have wanted for as long as I can remember but unfortunately due to training costs, this has remained a dream... until now (hopefully) and what more, the thoughts of working for imo, Ireland’s best airline is even more of a dream!

So, my question - what should I do to prepare? Aside from the ‘stages of progression’ with the application, what should I expect?

Would there be reading material that’s recommended for preparation for beginner Pilots and for the actual Programme?

I want to refresh my memory in regards to maths and physics, is there any particular books/ authors that are of recommendation? I have read there is a need for an intensive knowledge of Maths and Physics, whilst others say Basic is required.

Any help/ suggestions/ tips/ recommendations or even some more in-depth knowledge about the stages/ questions asked in interview would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

For your own benefit, if you are asked why you didn't apply in previous years (high chances you will) then do NOT say you missed the deadline :eek: That won't cut it and will leave them with more questions than answers about how serious you are with it.

Say you were busy engaged with something else you couldn't just drop or it wasn't possible due personal circumstances at the time for whatever reason.

1123heavy wrote: »
    For your own benefit, if you are asked why you didn't apply in previous years (high chances you will) then do NOT say you missed the deadline :eek: That won't cut it and will leave them with more questions than answers about how serious you are with it.

Say you were busy engaged with something else you couldn't just drop or it wasn't possible due personal circumstances at the time for whatever reason.

Thank you! I definitely wouldn’t be telling them that. I do have a couple of genuine reasons too which always help. Cheers for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

Hi,

Has anybody ever heard of anyone getting through the application process without having the minimum education requirements in the LC?
    Apart from having a Level 7 or Aviation related apprenticeship!

Seanmul89 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anybody ever heard of anyone getting through the application process without having the minimum education requirements in the LC?
    Apart from having a Level 7 or Aviation related apprenticeship!

Hi,

I’m not entirely sure... I’m going with a QQI Level 5 with a distinction profile that I received last year that according to the chart, it is considered as an equivalent to a LC.

What I could gather, as long as you have something relating to a Level 5 so any further education Fetac or QQI award and you have met the minimum educational requirements. Check it out in their FAQ part :) it’ll give you a link to follow.

I’m currently looking for some online courses in relation to pilot training to up my knowledge regarding maths and physics so any help there would be appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

DustPan12 wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m not entirely sure... I’m going with a QQI Level 5 with a distinction profile that I received last year that according to the chart, it is considered as an equivalent to a LC.

What I could gather, as long as you have something relating to a Level 5 so any further education Fetac or QQI award and you have met the minimum educational requirements. Check it out in their FAQ part :) it’ll give you a link to follow.

I’m currently looking for some online courses in relation to pilot training to up my knowledge regarding maths and physics so any help there would be appreciated!!

Sure thing, you can get an iBook on Apple devices, it’s a book from PadPilot, it’s free, it’s basic Maths and Physics for pilots, just search “ATPL” in the book store.

Some explanations given might be difficult to pick up but as you start your training their is easier ways of getting the same figure in some of the calculations, basic arithmetic stuff.

• Advertisement

Seanmul89 wrote: »
    Sure thing, you can get an iBook on Apple devices, it’s a book from PadPilot, it’s free, it’s basic Maths and Physics for pilots, just search “ATPL” in the book store.

Some explanations given might be difficult to pick up but as you start your training their is easier ways of getting the same figure in some of the calculations, basic arithmetic stuff.

Thanks so much! Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 A350baby

Hey everyone, seen as the cadetship tests will be coming up very shortly does anyone have any tips for aer lingus' exams, anyone gone through them before, any help would be much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Libyaaaa

A350baby wrote: »
    Hey everyone, seen as the cadetship tests will be coming up very shortly does anyone have any tips for aer lingus' exams, anyone gone through them before, any help would be much appreciated

Hi

Just wondering did they get back to You or anyone that has applied, after the closing deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Libyaaaa

Any updates on the next stage I’m assuming that I was successful in progressing to the online exams or is too early to know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

Libyaaaa wrote: »
    Any updates on the next stage I’m assuming that I was successful in progressing to the online exams or is too early to know ?

Have you received your link to online assessment already?

My profile on the web portal says invited to pre selection assessment but I have not received a link yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

username?! wrote: »
    Have you received your link to online assessment already?

My profile on the web portal says invited to pre selection assessment but I have not received a link yet.

I just got an email with the assessment links at 15:53 so they've started communicating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

Just received my invitation as well. Good luck to everyone!

Received my invitation too! Best of luck to everybody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 STOKESY_01

Invitation received for online pre-screening including the on-line video interview.

I was reading in another forum its 4 questions and you have 1m 30secs to answer.

As an older applicant. A love of aviation and all things flying.
    Any pointers from anyone through the mill in previous years ???

I work in logistics with a freight forwarder and have always had am abition to fly. I've been hesitant in the past due to personal circumstances & ongoing commitments, but said I would apply this year!

Advertisement