Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-04-2019, 11:31   #16
The Davestator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noble Nudge View Post
As long as I dont get back to my bike and cant find it with all the flashing lights
I did think that! Mine will be flashing anyway, so you've already self sabotaged your idea!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-04-2019, 14:09   #17
The Noble Nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Davestator View Post
I did think that! Mine will be flashing anyway, so you've already self sabotaged your idea!
all 3 of us on here with flashing lights...
Be sure to say hello..

Bring a slab of Carlsberg for all these years of tips you're getting too!

Last edited by The Noble Nudge; 05-04-2019 at 14:13.
Thanks from:
05-04-2019, 16:13   #18
The Noble Nudge

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Lein...r_by_hour.html

No rain light winds...looks like a good day to be racing..
Enjoy and safe round everyone...

Anyone over that way this evening to collect a number and give us a report on snowfall...??

Last edited by The Noble Nudge; 05-04-2019 at 16:23.
Thanks from:
08-04-2019, 09:24   #19
The Noble Nudge

Found that tough but finished anyway...3 years on and found the Japanese hot tubs! I could have stayed in them all day!!

How did the lads get on??
Thanks from:
08-04-2019, 10:35   #20
BaZmO*

Fell into the lake while doing the Kayak section. That water was coooold!
As a result it made a mess of my time. Been doing it since it started in 2016 and this was by far my worst time. The extra 2k at the end was a bit of a killer, in particular the zig-zagging on the GAA pitch to the finish line.

Other than the mess up in the lake I quite enjoyed it this year. The weather was a bit cooler which was less oppressive.

I actually liked that they moved the finish line as it was closer to the car park but it made it all a bit chaotic for the people on the later waves as there were lots of people milling around the bike area.

Roll on 2020!
Advertisement
08-04-2019, 10:41   #21
The Davestator

My first adventure race and was in the expert section, wave 1.

Really enjoyed it but also didn't respect the distance and difficulty of parts of it! Hadnt done too much training for it.

The second bike and second run were really tough and the the hardest bit of the race for me, especially the bike.

As it was my first, I wasn't really pushing it, but I was trying to run as much of it as i could. Loved the kayak and it was great that the weather lifted for that part.

Finished in 4.43. Plenty of improvement there for next year.
(3) thanks from:
08-04-2019, 12:10   #22
The Noble Nudge

It was my 3rd year doing it and found it the hardest..(long distance event two weeks ago so hadnt fully recovered) finished just over 4 hours but should of been under 4 if I was right...but happy out I finished it.
Broke a spoke on bike 2 before the climb so had to jump off to break it off (nearly got jammed in my disc brake and with 70+km speed descending off Slieve Mann) thankfully it snapped very handy but that left me with a severe buckle and bike wasnt as responsive as it should be and had created a very big imbalance upfront had to hold on...
Cramped on Bike 3 had to get off and walk it off for a few steps...thats never happened me before.
Both legs cramped on the canoe section but fell in getting off the boat so that kinda helped and yes it was freezing...felt it was a little bit of an anti climax at the end for some strange reason but might of just missed the sunshine of the past two years...did it solo as well so might have missed a few people to laugh and joke about it..
Will I be back not sure as I might do something different next year..will enjoy the R&R..
Never ceases to amaze me the winning times on these events...some extremely fit people attend them..I know how hard I train to be middle of the road..Chapeau to them!
I was only starting run 1 and they were finishing run 1..
I was only starting run 3 and could hear the podium guys giving interviews!!

Last edited by The Noble Nudge; 08-04-2019 at 12:17.
(2) thanks from:
08-04-2019, 12:50   #23
BaZmO*

Quote:
Both legs cramped on the canoe section but fell in getting off the boat so that kinda helped and yes it was freezing...
At least I wasn't the only one to fall in! Although I fell in when we were a bit out so had to be rescued by the rescue boat. I decided to still hold onto the kayak while submerged in the water as they towed us back. Not the brightest idea tbf but I thought they would've been quicker. It's scary how big of a drop in depth the lake takes once you're out a few metres.

Quote:
..felt it was a little bit of an anti climax at the end for some strange reason but might of just missed the sunshine of the past two years...did it solo as well so might have missed a few people to laugh and joke about it..
I think moving it away from the Round Tower took away from some of the atmosphere. It was my first time doing it solo too. Plus the wife and kids are normally waiting at the end, not this year though, so it was just race and home for me.

Quote:
Never ceases to amaze me the winning times on these events...some extremely fit people attend them..I know how hard I train to be middle of the road..Chapeau to them!
I was only starting run 1 and they were finishing run 1..
I was only starting run 3 and could hear the podium guys giving interviews!!
Yeah the winning times are nuts, especially for the Expert Level. Some amount of fitness to compete at that level. Although it's generally the same people winning at each event.
(2) thanks from:
08-04-2019, 14:36   #24
YoTaro

Really enjoyed it, expert route was a good test. Power walked nearly all of the uphills for the running stages, but put in good effort on the bike. Goal was to get back within 5 hours and did that comfortably.

First time ever having to deal with cramp, got it on the stage before the kayaking and again getting into the kayak. For my first quest I was happy with how I went.
Looking forward to doing another 1 later in the year
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-04-2019, 17:30   #25

It was my first adventure race. Did the sport 43km. Absolutely loved it. The mucky downhill on the first 6km run was great craic. That downhill at the start of the 20km bike was so fast... nearly lost my sh1t. No wonder they have an ambulance at the bottom
Kayak was a rest but then the last 4km run felt like 6or7.
Brilliant buzz about the place, well organised and I'll defo do more quests along the way.
Moxie next!
16-04-2019, 16:29   #26
The Noble Nudge

Loads more photos added to the FB..finally found a few of me in action..

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion