Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Something similar happened at the Tipp Clare game last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

funnyname wrote: »

And something similar happened in the limerick Clare games a few years ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

funnyname wrote: »
    And something similar happened in the limerick Clare games a few years ago

Only thing for it is to cancel the Munster Championship :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Only thing for it is to cancel the Munster Championship :pac:

Yeah I agree,call it off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Cancel the GAA altogether, let them play soccer or rugby stand. We can't let this violence stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Getting back to the hurling, it looks like a wide open championship. Cork were impressive yesterday. I think it's between them, Clare & Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

[QUOTE=Mantis Toboggan;110225730]Limerick not as unbeatable as we all thought they certainly showed weaknesses today. Amazing week in hurling last week cork were finished this week they're one of the favorites for the all Ireland.[/QUOTE]

So their loss to Cork only affected their degree of unbeatability? I am amused by the "shock" people in the media are feeling at the result in Limerick. Limerick drew with Cork and lost to Clare in Munster last year and failed to reach the Munster Final. They beat Kilkenny by two points, beat Cork after extra-time, and Galway by a point clinging on by their fingertips having led by 1-15 to 0-10 with 25 minutes to go. All worthy wins but no signs of unbeatability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    ...or convert a few slaps into an inquiry into the Munster Chaampionship ;)

Well if is an enquiry you want, fill your boots. That was never mentioned, it was merely an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Powerhouse wrote: »
    So their loss to Cork only affected their degree of unbeatability? I am amused by the "shock" people in the media are feeling at the result in Limerick. Limerick drew with Cork and lost to Clare in Munster last year and failed to reach the Munster Final. They beat Kilkenny by two points, beat Cork after extra-time, and Galway by a point clinging on by their fingertips having led by 1-15 to 0-10 with 25 minutes to go. All worthy wins but no signs of unbeatability.

Yeah, but its the same thing every year in both codes. The media builds up this idea that a dynasty is starting rather than just appreciating the effort it took to get to that level in the first place. We've seen it with Tipp and Galway this decade too. Both fine teams, but there wasn't exactly a lot of daylight between them and the rest when they won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

As a Tipp fan of over 30 yrs the actions of them so called fans is shameful.they wouldn't know one end of a Hurley from the other.tanked up on booze probably clonmel chardonnay no doubt.they should be banned from gaa grounds for life but it won't happen.I stopped going to the terrace yrs ago due to the **** going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Motivator wrote: »
    Young Tipperary fans with terrible haircuts and skintight jeans fighting amongst themselves. They’ve been at it for years, nothing to see there to be honest. I remember being at the 2008 Munster Final and they were at the same carry but on a much larger scale. A couple of older Clare fans that somehow got mixed up with them got a few belts that day. Sadly this kind of behaviour has become synonymous with Tipperary over the years, I wouldn’t expect any different from them.

Sadly these kind of sweeping statements have become synonymous with bitter Waterford fans over the years, I wouldn't expect any different from them.

;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

boggerman1 wrote: »
    As a Tipp fan of over 30 yrs the actions of them so called fans is shameful.they wouldn't know one end of a Hurley from the other.tanked up on booze probably clonmel chardonnay no doubt.they should be banned from gaa grounds for life but it won't happen.I stopped going to the terrace yrs ago due to the **** going on.
    Cant say these people dont know much on hurling more they see it as a ridiculously easy chance for a session.
    Banned from GAA grounds for life? Get a grip. If you act like this then you would have to ban a lot more people for other things they do during games

Two arrested over it, dealt by with the gardai as it should be. Footage did not show how this was handled by stewards as it was a short clip.

Not a blight on the Munster champioship, or Hurling, or the GAA or Tipperary or Ireland...just a few idiots. Let's move on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

boggerman1 wrote: »

Lots of drink + gangs of young fellas =trouble!

Nothing worse than standing near messy drunks even if only a small minority of them ever throw a dig at anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ArielAtom wrote: »

A fair old brawl there. Some right belts thrown. Can't say I'm surprised though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Where was Marty Morrissey he did not sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just wondering whether Wexford may have set something of a record at the weekend.

Shane Reck was a late substitute, making his first championship appearance. He is an older brother of Damien that has been a regular for two years now. I can't recall an instance where a younger brother made a senior championship debut ahead of his older brother (certainly not for Wexford), and even if it has been done before, it must be rare.

I know there are loads of wise heads on here that can give a definitive answer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just wondering whether Wexford may have set something of a record at the weekend.

Shane Reck was a late substitute, making his first championship appearance. He is an older brother of Damien that has been a regular for two years now. I can't recall an instance where a younger brother made a senior championship debut ahead of his older brother (certainly not for Wexford), and even if it has been done before, it must be rare.

I know there are loads of wise heads on here that can give a definitive answer :D

Nearly certain Cathal Mannion made his championship debut in 2014 and Padraig would be a year old and made his debut in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Kieran Bennett's two younger brothers (Stephen and Shane) both made their championship debuts for Waterford before he did

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Think Shane Bennett made his championship debut before older brothers Stephen and Kieran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

KevIRL wrote: »
    Think Shane Bennett made his championship debut before older brothers Stephen and Kieran

Think Stephen Bennett debuted first. He came on as a sub in the 2014 Wexford qualifier game

Not sure where I read, but those Bennetts in Waterford...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Kieran Bennett's two younger brothers (Stephen and Shane) both made their championship debuts for Waterford before he did
    KevIRL wrote: »
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think Stephen Bennett debuted first. He came on as a sub in the 2014 Wexford qualifier game

Priceless :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Rory Jacob made his Wexford senior championship debut while still a minor in 2002. Michael had played league before that alright but didn't play championship till 2003.

In Tipp I can think of two examples. Benny Dunne made his senior championship debut in 2002 during Nicky English's reign but older brother Ken had to wait for Babs' second coming to get a championship bow in 2006.

Kevin Tucker played in the 1996 & 1997 Munster Finals, his older brother Eddie didn't feature till 1999, making his championship debut against Clare in the drawn game (the replay never happened:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Thanks for the clarification lads. Still appears to be a rare enough occurrence.

As for the weekend, the optimist in me is hopeful of a close game in Salthill. I see a clamour in Wexford quarters for Davy to set up more traditionally, and that may indeed catch Galway unawares, but I don't think he will change his set-up this far down the line. There may be a couple of positional tweaks for man-marking purposes, but with Galway down a couple of big hitters by all accounts, the individual battles become all the more important. Wexford may well be steeled by NOT losing last week, even if the goal was a sucker-punch at the time.

IF the half-back line don't get exposed for pace (they are all well able to take a score), IF we fare better under our own long puck-outs, and IF we get a tune out of all five forwards, Wexford could well do a job.

My team would be: Fanning; D.Reck, Ryan, D.Byrne; K.Foley; P.Foley, O'Hanlon, Murphy; O'Keeffe, Nolan; R.O'Connor, Chin, Dunbar; McGovern, McDonald. Plenty of scope for scores there with an improved showing from ROC, and Dunbar's pace. Ryan, Byrne (despite being a championship debutant) and Murphy on designated marking duty.

Looking forward to the game now. Hon the yellabellys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Chin just isn't good enough on the frees at this level.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

God that was a shocking miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Those purple shorts are awful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Chin just isn't good enough on the frees at this level.

He was great last week in fairness.

Shocking amount of wides here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Should have been a goal, crazy puckout!

Advertisement