Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what pirate radio stations are on in cork at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I'm sure they mentioned something a few months ago about going digital I think they said. Can't find the post now. There were no other details.

But the red tape and BAI license costs to get onto DAB are crazy, the operator costs are reasonable at least. Will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

JDxtra wrote: »
    I'm sure they mentioned something a few months ago about going digital I think they said. Can't find the post now. There were no other details.

But the red tape and BAI license costs to get onto DAB are crazy, the operator costs are reasonable at least. Will see.

It was hinted in 2 posts on 24 August

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Scotty66

I’ve been told that BAI fees are around €500 per year with a non refundable application fee of less than that. So a total monthly cost of around €240. Play should easily be able to cover that from sponsorship.

The operator (EirDab) was quoting fees from €199 (was €249?) per month. That will be plus VAT, and may exclude startup costs. Price may also depend on bitrate.

I found the BAI costs before on their web site. So, correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I am) - but my understanding was that a section 71 licence was required from the BAI for operators looking to get onto the DAB trial. Here are the BAI costs as detailed on their web site...

Application:
    The standard application fee is currently €1,500 plus 23% VAT; the application fee must be transferred to the BAI account listed below, in order for an application to be considered. This fee is non-refundable.

CONTRACT:
    The standard contract fee is currently set at €2,000 plus 23% VAT per year of broadcast. The total amount charged will be dependent on the duration of the contract. The total amount is payable prior to entry into the contract.

Play FM Cork web site and some of their social media pages are now hidden or removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

The operator (EirDab) was quoting fees from €199 (was €249?) per month. That will be plus VAT, and may exclude startup costs. Price may also depend on bitrate.

I found the BAI costs before on their web site. So, correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I am) - but my understanding was that a section 71 licence was required from the BAI for operators looking to get onto the DAB trial. Here are the BAI costs as detailed on their web site...

Application:
    The standard application fee is currently €1,500 plus 23% VAT; the application fee must be transferred to the BAI account listed below, in order for an application to be considered. This fee is non-refundable.

CONTRACT:
    The standard contract fee is currently set at €2,000 plus 23% VAT per year of broadcast. The total amount charged will be dependent on the duration of the contract. The total amount is payable prior to entry into the contract.

They have a special rate for DAB Trial participants. Still a crazy amount of paperwork involved (particularly when compared to the UK equivalent) but the costs are €750+ VAT non refundable application fee and €500 per year + VAT for the contract fee. Notionally the BAI would like people to pay up front for 5 years but I don't think it could or would be that way during a trial. So the monthly, including Eirdab carriage would work out at about 300 a month (+VAT) which isn't too bad!

Incidentally, 8Radio will be on the Eiredab MUX in Cork for it's next FM run which commences on Friday 19th October and runs at weekends until Sunday November 18th.

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Music Radio Head

Is play defiantly packing up? Or they just rebranding?
    If they cease transmitting, True FM should be able to broadcast into The city then.
    I have been listening to POWER 87 & there is a break in there transmitting every day mainly in the morning when I'm driving the truck to work.

Play FM Cork web site and some of their social media pages are now hidden or removed.

Funny that, Stream is gone also but FM was live as usual yesterday evening

Seems odd, could be just a rebrand/buyout or something along those lines.

Seems odd, could be just a rebrand/buyout or something along those lines.

Why would they rebrand there still a new station??

• Advertisement

Why would they rebrand there still a new station??
    Just guessing here, no clue really. Bit odd for them to declare they are shutting down with no further information given.

Could it be some kind of BAI amnesty to incentivise pirate's to go legal?

Scotty66 wrote: »
    Could it be some kind of BAI amnesty to incentivise pirate's to go legal?

Maybe? They might have to stay off Air Till there temp license is granted, other wise they won't be granted one. But DAB or BAI arn't in full swing from what I know. Its not big yet over here. A few years behind everyone else. England Have switched to Digital which, forced Pirates to have to rethink there broadcasting structure

Play FM state on Facebook that they are not being taken over or rebranding - that when they go off at midnight it’s the end

Play FM state on Facebook that they are not being taken over or rebranding - that when they go off at midnight it’s the end

Yes, saw that message. This morning however, their old http://play878.com web site is displaying new content for "NRG Radio Cork" (same content as http://nrgradiocork.com). Similar design as the old site as well.

Maybe it's the same crew going down the DAB road? Down the end of the page it says "ONLINE, SOCIAL MEDIA AND DAB+ RADIO"

Best of luck to them, it's a great idea. Hope it's true (no pun) and it works out for them.

aKLz5wO.png

Play FM still on a carrier with RDS

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork this evening had 87.5 with POWER and 87.9 carrier with low tone, no RDS by UCC but that could have been due to weak signal.

Nothing on 97.6, 104.9 or 107.0

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork this evening had 87.5 with POWER and 87.9 carrier with low tone, no RDS by UCC but that could have been due to weak signal.

POWER 87.5FM with good signal today.

True 87.8FM Broadcasting into the City with good signal today.

Play FM must have left there transmitter on till last night if there carrier RDS was still on maybe??

marno21 wrote: »

Caroline was on 107.0 earlier on yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LiveRadio.ie

Yes, saw that message. This morning however, their old http://play878.com web site is displaying new content for "NRG Radio Cork" (same content as http://nrgradiocork.com). Similar design as the old site as well.

Maybe it's the same crew going down the DAB road? Down the end of the page it says "ONLINE, SOCIAL MEDIA AND DAB+ RADIO"

Best of luck to them, it's a great idea. Hope it's true (no pun) and it works out for them.

aKLz5wO.png

Both websites mentioned above currently down. However stream is available on LiveRadio.ie platform. Direct Link: NRG Radio Cork

• Advertisement

8 radio now on at weekends and another station soon to join the DAB. Could this be NRG?

Scotty66 wrote: »
    8 radio now on at weekends and another station soon to join the DAB. Could this be NRG?

Hard to know regarding NRG. Is there a list of BAI section 71 licenced operators? If yes, you could just check if NRG (or any others) or on that list.

Hard to know regarding NRG. Is there a list of BAI section 71 licenced operators? If yes, you could just check if NRG (or any others) or on that list.

DHR 104.9FM is off Air still
    Power87 has good signal, & have sorted any issues they had it seems.
    True FM are reaching most of Munster Now No RDS though. They State that they have problems with RDS on there Facebook page. Heard a new Advert as well.
    NRG Liveradio.ie forum is full of comments worth a read.

That's a fairly lively conversation on LiveRadio.ie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

There Liveradio.ie stream seems to have vanished now. The comments had been taken down. Less Than 24 hours later & started again. so I'd say Liveradio.ie had no choice in the end to terminate there stream for fear of bad publicity.

POWER87 Going Strong.
    TRUE FM Going Strong. There Signal much better since Play left the airwaves.
    DHR haven't returned to the airwaves as yet.
    Didn't get around to checking other Stations but I assume there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LiveRadio.ie

There Liveradio.ie stream seems to have vanished now. The comments had been taken down. Less Than 24 hours later & started again. so I'd say Liveradio.ie had no choice in the end to terminate there stream for fear of bad publicity.

POWER87 Going Strong.
    TRUE FM Going Strong. There Signal much better since Play left the airwaves.
    DHR haven't returned to the airwaves as yet.
    Didn't get around to checking other Stations but I assume there on.

This is true.

We have received NRG Radio Cork CEO Francis Hennessy official request to delete all comments and to suspend radio station on LiveRadio platform.

We are not in possition to discuss if this station is legitimate or not.

NRG’s Facebook page gone
    Website shows song info, but no stream seems to be up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

NRG’s Facebook page gone
    Website shows song info, but no stream seems to be up

stream is working for me anyway.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement